Bitcoin Forum
June 04, 2024, 07:52:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins in the UK  (Read 3448 times)
The Orgazoid (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:08:20 PM

Mt. Gox has recently stopped accepting bank transfers from the UK. Does anyone else know of a reliable way of acquiring bitcoins in the UK?
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:22:06 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/10po3m/bitcoin_exchanges_that_use_gbp_for_deposits_and/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/10b3rl/which_bitcoin_site_to_use_now_in_the_uk/

also I can maybe sell you coins if you first deposit in to my Lloyds bank account - PM for details

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
The Orgazoid (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:25:50 PM

Thanks for the reply, this is very helpful
Eskimo

Activity: 47

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 02:43:13 PM

This service still being offered?
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 04:38:51 PM

This service still being offered?

If you meant my offer then sry the answer is no as I don't give my bank details or accept payments to it from ppl who openly post to be doing business on the SR even if that was just buying some aspirins or something, it isn't the type of thing that I wish to facilitate or to be seen possibly connected to in any way.

Re: Silk road down for second day, what's going on? thread

Glad to see it's back up and running. It seemed to be working yesterday but it kept logging me out and the captcha part of the login screen wasn't working properly but was able to login and finalize and order I'd received prior to it going offline. They're also limiting new registrations so the problem doesn't reoccur.

gineta

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 04:40:52 PM

Mt. Gox has recently stopped accepting bank transfers from the UK. Does anyone else know of a reliable way of acquiring bitcoins in the UK?

You can buy from me. MOney in cash or Postal Transfer easy I am in northampton
uk1
Copper Member

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 03:35:46 PM

try a local exchange
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Local.2FIn-Hand_Exchanges

Exile

Activity: 27

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 12:35:27 PM

It's a joke at the moment buying BTC in the UK.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 12:57:01 PM

UK bitcoins

Small trades: try buying from reputable traders on these forums. Two notables for me are Pteppic and Alwaysmining.

Larger trades: wire the funds to Gox or wherever directly (Gox has a GBP a/c in Japan) and take the hit of the banksters' wire fee. It's not great but is still less than 1% or so if you're shipping a good sum.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 02:16:07 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2012, 05:00:01 PM by Otoh

I've moved GBP plenty of times to Gox via http://www.xe.com/xetrade/ & prefer sending it in $s which is pre-converted at 1.4% to 1.7% from the www.xe.com mid spot rate, use the ACH/EFT then Wire options to send for free (& not Wire then Wire or you'll get a £12 fee from xe & a $13 fee from Gox's bank), this rate is much better than my UK bank offer & if you send on a Monday the funds should be cleared to your Gox account by Friday & it can all be done online & by Internet banking.  

Edit: I only trade with $s on Gox as that's where the liquidity & best spread is, if you trade with other currencies there you lose via their conversion fee if you're not trading against someone else in that currency & also they can & do run out of non $ funds if you try to withdraw sometimes, see: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/13mbhd/mtgox_says_theyre_out_of_funds_to_pay_my/

btct

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 10:53:01 AM

What's up with blockchain.info? I tried to buy BTC yesterday but the maximum limit is £10. 'Due to exchange issues we are currently low on bitcoins. The £500 limit will be restored Friday Morning.'
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 11:21:01 AM

What's up with blockchain.info? I tried to buy BTC yesterday but the maximum limit is £10. 'Due to exchange issues we are currently low on bitcoins. The £500 limit will be restored Friday Morning.'

Unfortunately a wire transfer we sent to an exchange on Monday has not arrived yet, as a result we do not have any coins available to sell via PingIt. It is frustrating but like most users we also have to deal with exchange issues from time to time and generally there isn't much that can be done other than wait.

btct

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 02:24:51 PM

Unfortunately a wire transfer we sent to an exchange on Monday has not arrived yet, as a result we do not have any coins available to sell via PingIt. It is frustrating but like most users we also have to deal with exchange issues from time to time and generally there isn't much that can be done other than wait.
Thanks for the response, cleared it up for me.
loveliness

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 02:19:41 AM

Two of the private UK sellers I often buy off have had their personal bank accounts frozen in the last 2 days. Seems blockchain.info is one of the few remaining places to buy BTC with GBP.
Azelphur

Activity: 43

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 02:59:08 AM

I'm on #bitcoin-otc IRC channel, drop me a message and I will happily sell you coins. I am quite reputable and have had many successful trades.

Smiley
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 08:10:40 AM

Is there any ETA on this, I ran a test transaction yesterday. As it was the first time I've used Pingit I'm not entirely sure if it's working properly. I believe the transactions might timeout if they're not processed within 24 hours.

Right now the £10 I sent to you is still listed as 'pending'.
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:09:02 AM

Is there any ETA on this, I ran a test transaction yesterday. As it was the first time I've used Pingit I'm not entirely sure if it's working properly. I believe the transactions might timeout if they're not processed within 24 hours.

Right now the £10 I sent to you is still listed as 'pending'.

Sometimes PingIt transactions take a little longer to clear on weekends. Please could you open a ticket at https://blockchain.zendesk.com if it hasn't cleared in a few hours.

PingIt limit lifted

pollen

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 02:25:53 PM

The frozen accounts could be that the constant activity triggers some kind of money laundering flag which the banks then investigate. Anyway it seems to be a right PITA to get coins in UK. I'm off to learn more about OTC. Will be brand new to IRC!
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 05:07:31 PM

The frozen accounts could be that the constant activity triggers some kind of money laundering flag which the banks then investigate.

This is the most likely scenario, rather than some stealthy grand bankster conspiracy against Bitcoin (whose market cap is still less than what the banksters, VISA, MC, Paypal etc. process in about five minutes - LOL).

Anyway it seems to be a right PITA to get coins in UK.

A little bit, but there are some reputable traders on this forum for smaller trades, e.g. I have personal experience dealing with Alwaysmining, and from what I've seen, Pteppic looks good too. For larger volume, direct wires to Mt Gox's Japanese-based GBP account isn't that bad, even though I know it doesn't feel wonderful paying exorbitant wire fees to the banksters.

It's not for everyone, but starting a mining operation is another way to break the regulatory shackles making it tougher to obtain BTC than it ought to be.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
loveliness

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 05:19:10 PM

The frozen accounts could be that the constant activity triggers some kind of money laundering flag which the banks then investigate. Anyway it seems to be a right PITA to get coins in UK. I'm off to learn more about OTC. Will be brand new to IRC!

I think it is definitely a case of people using their personal accounts for trading. Banks would flag a huge increase in transactions as fraud, my bank has been frozen just for making some large purchases before.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: