Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:57:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts regarding "satoshis" post today on the mailing list?  (Read 5697 times)
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 09:10:16 PM

Here's an interesting addendum - https://www.mail-archive.com/bitcoin-development@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06194.html

According to that Satoshi never added a PGP signature to anything.

If that is the case then there's no real way of ever proving who Satoshi is beyond moving the relevant coins. Even then that would only prove that someone had access to those coins.

Satoshi has reached permanent ghosthood.

yep i feel we will never know.
until he votes with his money - but its too risky for him to do that at this point..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:19:17 PM

Here's an interesting addendum - https://www.mail-archive.com/bitcoin-development@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06194.html

If that is the case then there's no real way of ever proving who Satoshi is beyond moving the relevant coins. Even then that would only prove that someone had access to those coins.

Here is a link to a Satoshi Nakamoto PGP Key.
https://github.com/bitcoin-dot-org/bitcoin.org/commit/19e0c74df2162d4510db5df9e50d5ac53b38c498

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
cryptothreads

Activity: 1274

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:37:26 PM

https://github.com/bitcoin-dot-org/bitcoin.org/commit/19e0c74df2162d4510db5df9e50d5ac53b38c498

More in-depth look: http://pastebin.com/Ct5M8fa2
Tey

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:40:33 PM

thanks for sharing Smiley
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:49:55 PM

The fact that he never signed anything with his key is irrelevant. If it is really him, he must be aware by now that we all believe he is MIA and therefore must prove his identity. As people say on the internet, "tits or GTFO", this time is signature or GTFO
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 09:51:58 PM

The email that sent that email has been used by satoshi before in the early days of bitcoin. You can see it in the masking list archives.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:52:57 PM

More in-depth look: http://pastebin.com/Ct5M8fa2

I would also like to point out (it was not mentioned in the above pastebin post)
that the email username could have expired and thus been re-registered by someone else.
This is what occurred with the satoshin@gmx.com account.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=775174.msg8734884#msg8734884

Use of the satoshi@vistomail.com account does not guarantee that the statement in question came from Satoshi Nakamoto.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
dasource

Activity: 821
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:12:09 PM

If (and a huge *if* that is) Satoshi decided he needed to make a point .. why would he not do it with the technology he created? Sign a message using one of his private keys on the bitcoin blockchain.
Something for everyone to see and no-one to dispute.

^ I am with STUPID!
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 11:11:45 PM

Problem with that post is you can't prove its *not* him.

For all we know he dumped all the priv keys for everything when he decided to quit, wallets, accounts, PGP key and all.  We've all done similar at some point in our lives, made a decision with a sure mind, and removed all ability to recover it, burned the bridge so to speak.

If those accounts had indeed been compromised, I think it's fair to assume that the attackers of those accounts would "chime in" as Satoshi more than just twice.   Any activity on those accounts has the power to influence, or at least sow the seed of doubt/FUD which the attackers could then profit. 

Yet since he left, we've seen 1 occurrence to clear Dorian's name, and this today expressing his disappointment on the block size issue.  If anyone other than Satoshi held control of those accounts, I wager that position would be milked dry for personal gain.

coinableS (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 11:19:15 PM

For all we know he dumped all the priv keys for everything when he decided to quit, wallets, accounts, PGP key and all.  We've all done similar at some point in our lives, made a decision with a sure mind, and removed all ability to recover it, burned the bridge so to speak.

If those accounts had indeed been compromised, I think it's fair to assume that the attackers of those accounts would "chime in" as Satoshi more than just twice.   Any activity on those accounts has the power to influence, or at least sow the seed of doubt/FUD which the attackers could then profit. 

Yet since he left, we've seen 1 occurrence to clear Dorian's name, and this today expressing his disappointment on the block size issue.  If anyone other than Satoshi held control of those accounts, I wager that position would be milked dry for personal gain.

You make a very good point, we don't know if it wasn't him and if an attacker did have access to his email, why is this the only time he is trying to sway public opinion?
I don't think it's him, because I don't think he would get involved with the blockchain debate.
I'd like to hear what Gavin thinks about all this. Does he think it's Satoshi? And if so, Satoshi handed him the torch and then this email comes out scolding him, it's quite a dramatic turn of events.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:20:27 PM

For all we know he dumped all the priv keys for everything when he decided to quit, wallets, accounts, PGP key and all.  We've all done similar at some point in our lives, made a decision with a sure mind, and removed all ability to recover it, burned the bridge so to speak.

If those accounts had indeed been compromised, I think it's fair to assume that the attackers of those accounts would "chime in" as Satoshi more than just twice.   Any activity on those accounts has the power to influence, or at least sow the seed of doubt/FUD which the attackers could then profit.  

Yet since he left, we've seen 1 occurrence to clear Dorian's name, and this today expressing his disappointment on the block size issue.  If anyone other than Satoshi held control of those accounts, I wager that position would be milked dry for personal gain.

I see what you mean, but we can prove it's not him if he doesn't sign it fast.

From what we know of Satoshi, what you're saying is highly improbable (although not impossible, obviously). Satoshi questioned why would anyone throw a wallet away for any reason, and said on the forums we should always keep a wallet. So he most probably did not throw any keys away.

If someone has full control of his accounts and no access to his PGP key, he can only troll.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:23:03 PM

It was not Satoshi who wrote the post "I am not Dorian Nakamoto".
That was the person who re-registered his account after it expired.
GMX.com confirmed it and, I think, has locked that account now from registration.

And for what its worth, IMO I don't think Satoshi Nakamoto is alive anymore.

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:23:29 PM

The message doesn't give the vibe of the real Satoshi.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Fuserleer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 11:25:11 PM

You make a very good point, we don't know if it wasn't him and if an attacker did have access to his email, why is this the only time he is trying to sway public opinion?
I don't think it's him, because I don't think he would get involved with the blockchain debate.
I'd like to hear what Gavin thinks about all this. Does he think it's Satoshi? And if so, Satoshi handed him the torch and then this email comes out scolding him, it's quite a dramatic turn of events.

Exactly why I'm on the fence, he's been out and stayed out of any debate on Bitcoin until now.  He surfaced to clear Dorian's name, which is honourable and is to be expected of someone with his calibre and personality.

I guess it could be a kind of closure for him, perhaps he's been sitting by and has got to the point of disappointment where he feels he needs to speak out one more time.  If it is him, its quite a damning post, not only towards Gavin, but to all of us for letting things get this far.

Fuserleer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 11:26:05 PM

GMX.com confirmed it and, I think, has locked that account now from registration.

Oh, I wasn't aware that it was confirmed and that account was locked down.  I thought it was just assumed it was hacked.

GermanGiant

Activity: 784

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:27:26 PM

True. "I am not Dorian" was more believable even if Dorian is true Satoshi.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:28:32 PM

Oh, I wasn't aware that it was confirmed and that account was locked down.  I thought it was just assumed it was hacked.

Here is where I originally read about the GMX response, at the time all of it happened:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/09/16/satoshi-nakamoto-email-hack/

--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:28:46 PM

yeah. but Satoshi never made any rage post before, right? so who knows...

-snip-
Yet since he left, we've seen 1 occurrence to clear Dorian's name, and this today expressing his disappointment on the block size issue.  If anyone other than Satoshi held control of those accounts, I wager that position would be milked dry for personal gain.

aaand that guy emailed theymos asking for coins. even go as far as threatening to hitman theymos.
Fuserleer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 11:30:22 PM

For all we know he dumped all the priv keys for everything when he decided to quit, wallets, accounts, PGP key and all.  We've all done similar at some point in our lives, made a decision with a sure mind, and removed all ability to recover it, burned the bridge so to speak.

If those accounts had indeed been compromised, I think it's fair to assume that the attackers of those accounts would "chime in" as Satoshi more than just twice.   Any activity on those accounts has the power to influence, or at least sow the seed of doubt/FUD which the attackers could then profit.  

Its impossible to prove that someone isn't that person, its impossible to prove a falsehood in this manner, only truth can be proven.

If I made a post, yet everyone said it wasnt me, could you prove I didn't make the post when I in fact did?  You can't its impossible, you can only assume its false.

We all have no idea if Satoshi still has his keys to anything or not, regardless of what he advised us to do regarding wallets.  He may have had a fire at home and lost access to his backups? or any other number of "natural" ways to lose his keys.  A lot of events can happen over 5 years since he left, so you can not categorically claim that he still has his keys.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:36:49 PM

Its impossible to prove that someone isn't that person, its impossible to prove a falsehood in this manner, only truth can be proven.

If I made a post, yet everyone said it wasnt me, could you prove I didn't make the post when I in fact did?  You can't its impossible, you can only assume its false.

We all have no idea if Satoshi still has his keys to anything or not, regardless of what he advised us to do regarding wallets.  He may have had a fire at home and lost access to his backups? or any other number of "natural" ways to lose his keys.  A lot of events can happen over 5 years since he left, so you can not categorically claim that he still has his keys.

however in this case you can prove its not him with a 30sec google search and it has little to do with the lack of any key Wink
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: