Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:13:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you want to know why I hate the dev team and how they treat Bitcoin...  (Read 8746 times)
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 04:23:35 AM

I do believe that paper wallets are a viable solution that is totally underrepresented in the materials one's likely to find in a cursory web search for bitcoin.

The generator at BitAddress.org should be available on Bitcoin.org.

The community of people able to use Bitcoin would be much bigger if they could easily print their own wallet, buy bitcoins somewhere to fund it, and type their private key directly into the merchant of their choice, no differently than if they were buying and redeeming an iTunes gift card.  That "type it into a merchant" step would come much more easily if bitcoind offered support for "sweeping" private keys, which is why I proposed it over a year ago.  A merchant would simply put a web front-end on the function, sweep funds to an address he controls, and then treat swept payments the same as an incoming payment from elsewhere on the internet.

I run into people all the time who just wanted to own some coins, downloaded the client, and gave up because they bit off more than they could chew and because to them, a day long block chain download sounded nothing like "the future of money".  If they could have printed themselves a wallet in 30 seconds, then handing someone 100 bucks for some play coins would have been far more pleasant.

This seems to make things more complicated, not less. Maybe I haven't got a clue.

Thats way less complicated. If you can buy bitcoin paper wallets next to itunes receipts at the supermarket it would be awesome.

MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 01:36:11 PM

You can't spend arbitrary amounts, you can only spend the entire amount of bitcoins held with a key or not. So it would be like printing your own cash backed by bitcoins. It's more complicated because it requires a printer and you'd need to remember and organise how much money is stored on the keys (How do you handle change?).

Why is it hard to scan a QR code or use NFC and then confirm a payment on your mobile? Bitcoin can be used in that fashion and it's easy no? Faffing around with printed keys is not as easy in my opinion. Sure, you might say something like "But the bitcoin payments require confirmations and the private keys can be verified instantly". Well I'm working on a way to remove all fears of 0-confirmation payments whether or not these fears are justified anyway.

As for the blockchain download. This doesn't need to be a problem either.
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 01:53:21 PM

It is. Most people drop Bitcoin because of it; Bitcoin-Qt is shoved down their throats.

Nobody wants to wait hours to get started.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:27:35 PM

It doesn't have to be a problem because people do not need to download it.
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:35:42 PM

It is. Most people drop Bitcoin because of it; Bitcoin-Qt is shoved down their throats.

That's OK. Until we get more newbie friendly software and services, the newbies should probably stay away.

They exist. The future is in trustworthy online wallets. When Bitcoin is successful it won't be through http://bitcoin.org.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:40:35 PM

If these people can't be bothered to spend a couple hours learning about the software they are using and why it behaves as it does, then they probably can't be bothered to take the necessary steps to backup and secure their Bitcoins either. They probably can't even be bothered to secure their personal computers!

You have just described 99% of all computer users.

And no, there really should be no reason why they should have to think about these things. Most people don't know how their car works and neither should they have to know. Put gas in -> drive. Put Bitcoins in -> pay.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:43:15 PM

It's more complicated because it requires a printer and you'd need to remember and organise how much money is stored on the keys (How do you handle change?).

I guess the wallet could also contain a "change" address and the target should refund. That's still over-complicated though.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:49:58 PM

Even if you *must* have the client do the block-chain thing (and I understand the justification even if I don't necessarily agree with it), there's no reason you couldn't have the client run in a lightweight mode until the block-chain is caught up. Maybe with some suitable warning.

I've been using bitcoin-spinner to manage my so-far meagre funds but I fired up my PC wallet last night just for giggles and it took 15 minutes plus to catch up with the block-chain. That's not good user experience.

I understand block-chain processing === needed but it needs to be decoupled from the wallet. Heck, I should be able to run blockchain processing on my Linux server and keep my wallet on my nice friendly Windows GUI workstation, no? (Maybe I can already do this. I see that there are various options to the client that can be run on the command line.)

mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:25:29 PM

That's OK. Until we get more newbie friendly software and services, the newbies should probably stay away.

They exist. The future is in trustworthy online wallets. When Bitcoin is successful it won't be through http://bitcoin.org.

It must really be hurting that you can't do any of this yourself, huh?
Whiner..
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 05:29:50 PM

If these people can't be bothered to spend a couple hours learning about the software they are using and why it behaves as it does, then they probably can't be bothered to take the necessary steps to backup and secure their Bitcoins either. They probably can't even be bothered to secure their personal computers!

If someone could buy a bitcoins at a retail store and redeem them on a merchant site, what should this person be expected to learn before he's worthy enough to use Bitcoins?  Does GreenDot require two hours of learning before they let you buy a MoneyPak?

For this use case, what does someone need to know about spending a Bitcoin "gift card" beyond what's necessary to use a GreenDot MoneyPak?  About the only thing they need to know is a) it's decentralized, so b) there's no 800 number to call if anything goes wrong so be careful and don't put too many eggs in any one basket, and c) no one will be nannying you or monitoring how you spend your money, so enjoy your freedom.  What have I missed?

The idea that someone could steal their private key is something they've already been taught by MoneyPaks and iTunes gift cards in the form of scratchoffs reminding them that if the card is tampered, not to buy it.  The likelihood that the party who applied the scratchoffs - a commercial manufacturer of Bitcoin "gift cards" (think Bit-Pay) is going to defraud individuals out of their bitcoins - is no greater than the likelihood that they would defraud them out of Applebee's dollars today.

The idea that this person should be expected to learn a couple hours of anything or else be shut out because they should adapt to us, not the other way around, is... Atlas put it best... autism, a total failure to comprehend and adapt to the mindset and needs of the average human being.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
mobodick

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:41:57 PM

If someone could buy a bitcoins at a retail store and redeem them on a merchant site, what should this person be expected to learn before he's worthy enough to use Bitcoins?  Does GreenDot require two hours of learning before they let you buy a MoneyPak?

For this use case, what does someone need to know about spending a Bitcoin "gift card" beyond what's necessary to use a GreenDot MoneyPak?  About the only thing they need to know is a) it's decentralized, so b) there's no 800 number to call if anything goes wrong so be careful and don't put too many eggs in any one basket, and c) no one will be nannying you or monitoring how you spend your money, so enjoy your freedom.  What have I missed?

The idea that someone could steal their private key is something they've already been taught by MoneyPaks and iTunes gift cards in the form of scratchoffs reminding them that if the card is tampered, not to buy it.  The likelihood that the party who applied the scratchoffs - a commercial manufacturer of Bitcoin "gift cards" (think Bit-Pay) is going to defraud individuals out of their bitcoins - is no greater than the likelihood that they would defraud them out of Applebee's dollars today.

The idea that this person should be expected to learn a couple hours of anything or else be shut out because they should adapt to us, not the other way around, is... Atlas put it best... autism, a total failure to comprehend and adapt to the mindset and needs of the average human being.

I hope you realize that driving the first cars required you to be a mechanic and an enthousiast above anything else.
It's just the natural progression of technology.
10 years ago only nerds were fscking around with linux, now most smartphones run on it.
Bitcoin is still very much beta but here we have a person like atlas demanding a change and calling the devs autists.
Serially guys..
 Undecided
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:47:47 PM

If someone could buy a bitcoins at a retail store and redeem them on a merchant site, what should this person be expected to learn before he's worthy enough to use Bitcoins?  Does GreenDot require two hours of learning before they let you buy a MoneyPak?

For this use case, what does someone need to know about spending a Bitcoin "gift card" beyond what's necessary to use a GreenDot MoneyPak?  About the only thing they need to know is a) it's decentralized, so b) there's no 800 number to call if anything goes wrong so be careful and don't put too many eggs in any one basket, and c) no one will be nannying you or monitoring how you spend your money, so enjoy your freedom.  What have I missed?

The idea that someone could steal their private key is something they've already been taught by MoneyPaks and iTunes gift cards in the form of scratchoffs reminding them that if the card is tampered, not to buy it.  The likelihood that the party who applied the scratchoffs - a commercial manufacturer of Bitcoin "gift cards" (think Bit-Pay) is going to defraud individuals out of their bitcoins - is no greater than the likelihood that they would defraud them out of Applebee's dollars today.

Bitcoin is still very much beta but here we have a person like atlas demanding a change and calling the devs autists.

Unremorsefully. Autists have destroyed companies and they do not make marketable and successful products. Google OpenMoko.
mobodick

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:07:30 PM

Unremorsefully. Autists have destroyed companies and they do not make marketable and successful products. Google OpenMoko.
Yeah, but why do you think you have the right to demand that they fix stuff for you?
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:12:35 PM

Yeah, but why do you think you have the right to demand that they fix stuff for you?

I have the right to demand whatever I want, along with everybody else. It's simple text and speech, nothing more. A right is simply an ability and I am able to speak.

As for actions, they remain in possession of the respective agents.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:17:26 PM

If someone could buy a bitcoins at a retail store and redeem them on a merchant site, what should this person be expected to learn before he's worthy enough to use Bitcoins?  Does GreenDot require two hours of learning before they let you buy a MoneyPak?

For this use case, what does someone need to know about spending a Bitcoin "gift card" beyond what's necessary to use a GreenDot MoneyPak?  About the only thing they need to know is a) it's decentralized, so b) there's no 800 number to call if anything goes wrong so be careful and don't put too many eggs in any one basket, and c) no one will be nannying you or monitoring how you spend your money, so enjoy your freedom.  What have I missed?

The idea that someone could steal their private key is something they've already been taught by MoneyPaks and iTunes gift cards in the form of scratchoffs reminding them that if the card is tampered, not to buy it.  The likelihood that the party who applied the scratchoffs - a commercial manufacturer of Bitcoin "gift cards" (think Bit-Pay) is going to defraud individuals out of their bitcoins - is no greater than the likelihood that they would defraud them out of Applebee's dollars today.

I didn't use the term "worthy", you did. As Bitcoin exists today, it's simply prudent to acquire the knowledge necessary to secure your coins, preferably before actually acquiring coins.

Amen Brother.  Everyone knows how to manage cash and keep it relatively safe.  Kids as young as 8 have billfold wallets to keep their cards and cash.  Nearly everyone knows the basic premise behind a safe (piggly bank).  Users are simply going to have to learn how this system is different or risk keeping their funds with others.  It is not the job of developers to educate users nor alter the main client to accomodate them.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
mobodick

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:35:39 PM

I have the right to demand whatever I want, along with everybody else. It's simple text and speech, nothing more. A right is simply an ability and I am able to speak.

Sure, you can demand all you want.
But in this case it makes you look like a little kid in a toy store that demands that the shop owners give him a toy.
I see a lot of that with people that do not contribute themselfs to code of an open source project.

Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:39:34 PM

But in this case it makes you look like a little kid in a toy store that demands that the shop owners give you a toy.
I see a lot of that with people that do not contribute themselfs to code of an open source project.

I've never cared for a spotless appearance. I have also never cared for the organization nor the actions of the Bitcoin-Qt/Bitcoind project. I rather see it lose its recognition among the public. This end of mine -- it doesn't require code contributions of any kind.

Your obsession with honor and dignity has no bearing on my person. I never play that game. I transcend it.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 06:52:05 PM

Messias complexes usually end in the mental hospital.
mobodick

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:07:31 PM

But in this case it makes you look like a little kid in a toy store that demands that the shop owners give you a toy.

I've never cared for a spotless appearance. I have also never cared for the organization nor the actions of the Bitcoin-Qt/Bitcoind project. I rather see it lose its recognition among the public. This end of mine -- it doesn't require code contributions of any kind.

Your obsession with honor and dignity has no bearing on my person. I never play that game. I transcend it.
Serially tho, stating that you're better never won a grown up argument.
You're about as much transcended as a kid hooked on sugar.
GIMME GIMME GIMME I NEEEEEED!.
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:09:43 PM

Serially tho, stating that you're better never won a grown up argument.
You're about as much transcended as a kid hooked on sugar.
GIMME GIMME GIMME I NEEEEEED!.

My happiness isn't dependent on any of this.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: