June 14, 2024, 05:14:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is NXT a scam?
Yes - 49 (24.4%)
No - 152 (75.6%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll result: NXT is a proper cryptocurrency  (Read 24834 times)
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 02:49:22 PM

As a currency, well, a currency is a....consensus mechanism for trade/barter between individuals.  In order for it to accomplish that goal, hundreds of thousands, millions, billions of people have to own it.  The fact that most NXT was probably issued to an amount of people you can count on two hands originally, means the coin creator would need to be limited to two brain cells to think that's a valid or good idea.
It has to start somewhere. Nxt started with 72 founders. That's enough people that it doesn't matter if some of them are duds, and few enough to minimise bystander apathy. The problem with coins that launch with thousands of users is that most of those users will sit idle waiting for someone else to make their coins worth something.

Anyway, that's ancient history. It's clear that the Nxt developers have put in a vast amount of work since it was launched; way more than makes sense if it was founded as a scam. And the market price of NXT has been low for long enough that anyone could afford to buy some, so that initial distribution has long been irrelevant. I don't think there's any convincing argument that Nxt is a scam now.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
Brangdon

Activity: 365

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 02:54:07 PM

this is  non-mineable coins
How is that relevant to whether it is a scam? Mineable coins can equally be scams, because they massively favour early adopters.

and developer can create new coin every day without think about maximal coin
No, they can't. The number of NXT coins is fixed. A developer who tried to change that would not have their software accepted by stakeholders.

(I'm assuming you aren't talking about the Monetary System feature of Nxt, since that's not restricted to developers. And because I doubt your knowledge of Nxt extends to the MS.)

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
box0214

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 04:02:06 PM

There is obviously a lot of uninformed users. Many are still influenced by the early distribution fiascio and still spreading that info and mainly not understanding how different the nxt ecosystem is right now.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 05:05:12 AM

There is obviously a lot of uninformed users. Many are still influenced by the early distribution fiascio and still spreading that info and mainly not understanding how different the nxt ecosystem is right now.

first impressions are important.

Once there is any shadiness going on around a community it is hard to recover from.

Ask the Solidcoin devs.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 05:41:30 AM

NXT is a scam.  It's like Supernet 1.0.  Promises to do everything and then make dinner, but actually still does nothing significant.

Even if it isn't right now, NXT may become a scam because it is proof of stake and the devs can move/create coins as they see fit.

Also, Java's attack surface...GTFO n00bs.   Cheesy

The only way to make software secure, reliable, and fast is to make it small. Fight Features. - Andy Tanenbaum 2004

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 06:37:36 AM

NXT is a scam.  It's like Supernet 1.0.  Promises to do everything and then make dinner, but actually still does nothing significant.

Even if it isn't right now, NXT may become a scam because it is proof of stake and the devs can move/create coins as they see fit.

The only way to make software secure, reliable, and fast is to make it small. Fight Features. - Andy Tanenbaum 2004

Instantdex looks very promising, at least what the demo videos show. As far as I know it'll be ready soon(tm)...

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 06:42:42 AM

Instantdex looks very promising, at least what the demo videos show. As far as I know it'll be ready soon(tm)...

WTF is an "Instantdex" and why would I want one on my computer?

I'm not installing bloated compromised Oracle.Java crapware just so I can run NXT's bloated crapware on top of it.   Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 07:40:58 AM

AFAIK Nxt lines of code < Bitcoin lines of code
(with "<" meaning way smaller)
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 08:30:35 AM

I'm not installing bloated compromised Oracle.Java crapware just so I can run NXT's bloated crapware on top of it.   Tongue

well, you're calling NXT/supernet scam yet you're not able to do some research to form an educated opinion. am I feeding a troll?

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 08:49:48 AM

well, you're calling NXT/supernet scam yet you're not able to do some research to form an educated opinion. am I feeding a troll?

I looked at a screenshot, it seems Instandex offers no new functionality.  It's just a presentation layer created at exhorbitant cost in terms of attack surface.

Can you explain in a sentence or two what I'm missing?  Or must you resort to great walls of glaze-over inducing techobabble like jl777?

Are you denying Oracle.Java has all kinds of 0days, TLA backdoors, and attack surface in general?

Or do you expect me to just forget all about that because you prefer to gloss over the Java security issue by calling me a troll?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 03:15:19 PM

Here's a selection of information on Java and its security issues:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_security

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Java

A comparison of Java versus C++:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Java_and_C%2B%2B

Going through all of this brings me to the conclusion that Java could have handled security issues better in the past, but that current Java security is solid (at least until a new exploit is discovered... Grin ). I don't see Java as being much more vulnerable than any other coding language, and so far no-one has managed to come up with (and use) a workable exploit within the Nxt code.
Plenty of talented people have tried to break/exploit Nxt over the last 2 years, but Nxt is secure. (so far   Grin)

On the 'bloated' remark: that's in the eye of the beholder: no coder is ever going to admit to liking another coders work.
take a look at the debate on Bitcoin code for comparison:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=225163.0

So, yeah, you can call Nxt 'bloated' but other people take a much different view, one that fits pretty well with your quote:

You're totally welcome to hate on Java, but as Java is an industry standard, that's just a matter of personal opinion and taste, like choosing between GM or Ford.

As for InstantDex/SuperNet: these are both Nxt-based projects, so not part of the Nxt core. Criticising Nxt for what SuperNet is doing is kind of like hassling Bitcoin for what Factom gets up to.......or you could even claim that Bitcoin, Litecoin, BTCD and Doge are all crap if you like, as they are also integrated in SuperNet.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 04:26:36 PM

Yep. I fed him a while back on another thread, and he ended up clapping me on the back for being a good sport. Smiley

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 04:27:55 PM

You're totally welcome to hate on Java, but as Java is an industry standard, that's just a matter of personal opinion and taste, like choosing between GM or Ford.

But NO-ONE should buy GM! SCAM! SCAM! BAILOUT!!!! /sarc

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

bcdev

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:42:04 PM

No, they cannot. Feel free to crack the PoS.
Unlike BTC, NXT has a constant coin amount. 0% inflation.
Also, Java's attack surface...GTFO n00bs.   Cheesy
Java is an attack vector if it's ran as an applet. Java is used by NXT as a VM, thus it's very secure.
If you want to bitch about java, then keep in mind that many large financial institutions use java for their software.
BurstIncomeAsset

Activity: 504
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 07:07:40 PM

NXT is good seriously, but I think BURST has more features, just look what innovation BURST HAS:

Escrow
Subscription
Automatic Payments
HD mining

I dont think BURST will replace NXT, but the two are complimentary and should work together!
box0214

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:57:19 PM

NXT is good seriously, but I think BURST has more features, just look what innovation BURST HAS:

Escrow
Subscription
Automatic Payments
HD mining

I dont think BURST will replace NXT, but the two are complimentary and should work together!

tech does look good. but i just did a quick run though of their block explorer and it seems like:

- about 120 pages X 50 address results on each page = 6000 addresses exist with balance of 1+ burst
- about 100 accounts control 1million+ burst
- first page shows the top 15 accounts control 10 million+ burst
- everyone else seems like they have less than 100k or less...

distribution is subjective so its hard to say if its "fair" in one person's view vs another.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1426

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 11:47:41 PM

Definitely not a scam.  But I see no mass adoption of NXT in the near future.  One can even argue that it's failing. 

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 12:59:23 AM

I think the real question is.. Does anyone think of NXT ..at all ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 08:30:47 AM

*puts hand up*
I think about Nxt....probably more than I should  Angry

@tokeweed: It's going to be pretty hard for Nxt to fail, as the Nxt community are (mostly) a bunch of complete fanatics who will carry on working and spreading the word of Nxt until either they get locked up in a nice padded cell or Nxt assimilates the entire financial world...... Cool 
This is a definite advantage that a lot of projects don't have, even if we are annoying as f**k sometimes.

@Spoetnik: Happy to see you around again....just like the good old days of 2014  Grin

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1426

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 11:07:01 AM

Ok.  Not arguing there.  In fact, I would want to see it succeed to get have an opportunity to make some profit off of it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: