Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:02:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs Single SC Availability?  (Read 3370 times)
toonevdb (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:32:24 PM

Hello,

I'm very interested in buying a new bitforce single sc from butterfly labs but still have some questions.
Has anybody already received it or is everybody still waiting?
And how long would I have to wait if I order now? (I live in Europe)

I'm also a bit concerned about the effects on the difficulty..
If I enter the 40 Ghash on a profiit calculator i would generate now about 13btc a day.
If a lot of people start using these new products, the difficulty will rise and the return will fall steeply, right?
Can anybody make an estimate or any advice/opinions..

I want to make sure I have a much information as possible.

Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:36:31 PM

There are plenty of speculation threads about difficulty. Some say 10x, some say 50x. I am thinking somewhere around 40x to start with, and keep increasing as the months go on. As for  shipping, no one has received one yet as they are scheduled to be shipped early November. Josh state a while ago that they want to have all pre-orders out by December (not sure if this is still true since they have more pre-orders) and eventually want customers to be able to order and the items be shipped out within the next day. I would guess if you pre-ordered now you would receive it sometime around January. Just a guess though.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:39:08 PM

You need to look around the forum more.  There's a hundred threads on BFL that answer a lot of your question.  First off, the SC is up to 60 GH now, and if you put an order in today you'll likely not get it till early next year.  I believe they're up around 10,000+ pre-orders.

As for BTC profit.  Things are going to get messy once all this hits.  Noone knows for sure, but we definitely know that the reward for blocks is going to get cut in half in the next few months, and that would knock your 13 BTC down to 6.5 BTC right away.  Then once difficulty ramps up, it'll just get worse from there.  

I'm not saying it might not still be feasible to do it, but spend some time, do some research and make an informed decision.
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 03:39:40 PM

If I enter the 40 Ghash on a profiit calculator i would generate now about 13btc a day.
If a lot of people start using these new products, the difficulty will rise and the return will fall steeply, right?
Can anybody make an estimate or any advice/opinions..
If difficulty will increase 40x as someone said, you will do 13/40 btc per day (40 times less).

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
tbcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 03:49:47 PM

In November start sending
For an order made ​​today, I would not expect anything until January.
Current hashrate of the single sc is 60Gh/s
With the entry of ASIC, we can expect an increase at least of x20 the first few months.
At calculation also have to add the reduction.

http://bitclockers.com/calc/mining_difficulty/61092560/difficulty_change/2/btc_per_block/25/value_per_btc/12.78/mhash_rate/60000/cost_per_kwh/0.15/watts_consumption/60/total_days/90/hardware_cost/1300

0.49392023btc/day

Sorry for my bad english Wink
Bitcoin card for deposit and payment + Little POS
Donations:1N65efiNUhH6sEQg7Z6oUC76kJS9Yhevyf
toonevdb (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:11:55 PM

Thanks for the replies.

There are plenty of speculation threads about difficulty. Some say 10x, some say 50x. I am thinking somewhere around 40x to start with, and keep increasing as the months go on. As for  shipping, no one has received one yet as they are scheduled to be shipped early November. Josh state a while ago that they want to have all pre-orders out by December (not sure if this is still true since they have more pre-orders) and eventually want customers to be able to order and the items be shipped out within the next day. I would guess if you pre-ordered now you would receive it sometime around January. Just a guess though.

Good to know nobody has received one yet, so there is no effect yet on the difficulty.
I will keep a spreadsheet of the difficulty every day. Once the products are being delivered i can see the effect.
It's not that long anymore until first shipments are sent out.
Hopefully I will be able to estimate the difficulty (and my potential profit) then when product would arrive.
I guess deliveries will be more consistent then too.

You need to look around the forum more.  There's a hundred threads on BFL that answer a lot of your question.  First off, the SC is up to 60 GH now, and if you put an order in today you'll likely not get it till early next year.  I believe they're up around 10,000+ pre-orders.

As for BTC profit.  Things are going to get messy once all this hits.  Noone knows for sure, but we definitely know that the reward for blocks is going to get cut in half in the next few months, and that would knock your 13 BTC down to 6.5 BTC right away.  Then once difficulty ramps up, it'll just get worse from there. 

I'm not saying it might not still be feasible to do it, but spend some time, do some research and make an informed decision.

I'm trying to read up on the forum a lot..
If the current exchange rate holds anything above 2btc (preferably 5) a day would be acceptable. Do you think that will hold long?

benco

Activity: 29

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 07:58:52 PM

If the current exchange rate holds anything above 2btc (preferably 5) a day would be acceptable.

with 40 x current difficulty you would need to invest at least 10 000 USD to mining hardware (based on current ASIC hardware pricing and current exchange rate) to mine 2 BTC/per day Smiley

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 08:04:48 PM

Just multiply 131,384 times whatever TH you expect the network to be at.

120TH x 131,384=15,766,080,now put this diff in your calc with what you expect to be mining with (30gh=30,000 mh) & you have a rough idea on profit  Grin

Thats what I expect the network will be at by mid/late december.Just my guess..................

BTW,by feb or march next year,when the network hits 250TH,30 gig will be like having 3 gig now,about a coin a day being earned.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
toonevdb (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:04:18 PM

If the current exchange rate holds anything above 2btc (preferably 5) a day would be acceptable.

with 40 x current difficulty you would need to invest at least 10 000 USD to mining hardware (based on current ASIC hardware pricing and current exchange rate) to mine 2 BTC/per day Smiley

Damn, that makes it a bit out of my reach. The highest investment I was considering was a little single. That would be about $700 with shipping. Considering what I would earn at current difficulty (13btc) that would make daily earnings about 0.325btc(@ 40x difficulty). That about 4$/day so it would take 175 days to recoup the investment. This isn't going to make me rich  Roll Eyes

I'm planning a btc project too so I'll keep to that for now. Don't think i'm going to invest in mining. I'll check up on the matter, still interested but think I missed the mining boat..
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:14:26 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2012, 10:25:28 PM by Unacceptable

Damn, that makes it a bit out of my reach. The highest investment I was considering was a little single. That would be about $700 with shipping. Considering what I would earn at current difficulty (13btc) that would make daily earnings about 0.325btc(@ 40x difficulty). That about 4$/day so it would take 175 days to recoup the investment. This isn't going to make me rich  Roll Eyes

I'm planning a btc project too so I'll keep to that for now. Don't think i'm going to invest in mining. I'll check up on the matter, still interested but think I missed the mining boat..

Do what I'm planning to do.

Buy one now,reinvest that BTC & some cash into another & so on,until you have met a goal.My goal is to get as close to $500 a week in BTC as possible  Cool

If things go belly up for whatever reason,you can always sell your equipment (to other miners) to recoup at least 25-75% of your investment.Depending on the "belly up" reason of course.

As long as you don't put in MORE than you can lose,you should be able to break even at least,IMO............

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Meatball

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:14:35 AM

Damn, that makes it a bit out of my reach. The highest investment I was considering was a little single. That would be about $700 with shipping. Considering what I would earn at current difficulty (13btc) that would make daily earnings about 0.325btc(@ 40x difficulty). That about 4$/day so it would take 175 days to recoup the investment. This isn't going to make me rich  Roll Eyes

Do what I'm planning to do.

Buy one now,reinvest that BTC & some cash into another & so on,until you have met a goal.My goal is to get as close to $500 a week in BTC as possible  Cool

If things go belly up for whatever reason,you can always sell your equipment (to other miners) to recoup at least 25-75% of your investment.Depending on the "belly up" reason of course.

As long as you don't put in MORE than you can lose,you should be able to break even at least,IMO............

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if things really do go belly up, the ASIC units are not like video cards and likely going to have basically 0 resale value.  I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the ASIC is going to be built specifically for BTC mining and won't be able to do anything else.  Can someone verify that?
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:28:28 AM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if things really do go belly up, the ASIC units are not like video cards and likely going to have basically 0 resale value.  I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the ASIC is going to be built specifically for BTC mining and won't be able to do anything else.  Can someone verify that?

That's correct.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:32:35 AM

Hello,

I'm very interested in buying a new bitforce single sc from butterfly labs but still have some questions.
Has anybody already received it or is everybody still waiting?
And how long would I have to wait if I order now? (I live in Europe)

The estimation on orders placed now is January based on what BFL have been telling people.
So applying the "BFL factor" that means you'd get your order in March  Wink

Alternatively, Cablepair and Avalon ASICs are worth a look.
Meatball

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:00:58 AM

That's correct.

Ah, that's what I thought.  So then, if it just gets to the point that BTC is unprofitable for you, but still good for others, you might still be able to sell to other miners, but if BTC totally tanks, then these units are basically going to be a $1300 boat anchor. Smiley
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:27:02 AM

That's correct.

Ah, that's what I thought.  So then, if it just gets to the point that BTC is unprofitable for you, but still good for others, you might still be able to sell to other miners, but if BTC totally tanks, then these units are basically going to be a $1300 boat anchor. Smiley

Yep,thats if Bitcoin dies out COMPLETELY.I'm betting that SR at least will still be here & one or two of the mining companies too possibly.So there should be somebody that'll want the equipment  Cool

Even if I get only half my money back,then include what I mined with them,I should break even or close to it.....................that's what I'm thinking anyhow.............

toonevdb (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 11:26:00 AM

I think I'm gonna wait it out a bit..
I'm going to check some time after deliveries started if one little single from butterfly labs can still produce enough btc to recoup the investment in max 2 months.
I want at the very least 1 btc a day.

Once deliveries start, maybe somebody will be able to post what he is earning with his little single at that time.
This would give me a real valuable indication whether or not to buy.

I also think that once deliveries have started, butterfly labs will be more able to provide a correct delivery date.
I'm not that afraid that the equipment will become unsellable (unless bitcoin dies of course)
But it would be rather stupid of me to buy something and almost immediately sell it with a loss (given that I can estimate my profits)
SLok

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 11:54:43 AM

Play a bit with the bitcoin mining calculator now or by that time, with the other manufacturers having real production by then, who knows what's gonna give.
http://bitcoinx.com/profit/

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:11:12 AM

If I can make back my money in 6 months (hopefully less) I'll be quite happy.I'm in this for the long term  Wink

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 03:58:31 AM

If I can make back my money in 6 months (hopefully less) I'll be quite happy.I'm in this for the long term  Wink

this guy, too Smiley  I hope to pass the chore of monitoring bitcoin mining rigs on to my kids... Cheesy

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
toonevdb (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 08:16:54 PM

this guy, too Smiley  I hope to pass the chore of monitoring bitcoin mining rigs on to my kids... Cheesy

lol, don't have any kids yet or rigs for that matter Wink

I really believe in bitcoins from a philosophical standpoint but reality is, i'm mostly looking for (development) projects which would earn me money (in the long term). The reason I believe most in bitcoin is because from a technological point of view it's imho the most correct solution. I have nothing against PayPal for example but reading how they act and freeze accounts. That's simple something that's not possible with bitcoins.. (as far as i known..)

As far as investing in hardware, I'm willing to do that as long as the ROI is quick. I don't have enough money to invest in something that only makes a profit in a year. (I know that from an investment point of view a year is nothing but not for me it is right now)

I hoped that with ASIC being the cool new thing, it would take a while before everybody would adopt but reading the forums more and more I have some doubts. Everybody with some investment in the bitcoin scene is following this and this won't be the easy money I had secretly hoped for. But that's ok, I'll find myself the right project someday..

I'm a good developer and a have a nice bitcoin related project that is halfway hehe Wink Hope to release it soon.

thanks all you guys for your replies..
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: