Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:27:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 60963 times)
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 11:18:20 AM

Cartoons and graphics sometimes say more than thousand words.
Today I found the truth table in the cyberspace. Wink

paging icebreaker for immediate application of the MP-RDF. These truths cannot be left unFUDed in public!

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 11:19:47 AM

Last I heard, Todd has nothing to do with Blockstream other than he throws rocks at them as is his nature.  

That is correct.  He is part time employed at Viacoin, an altcoin that competes with bitcoin.  I don't know whether he has other emplyment.  But he is one of the "core devs".

IIRC, his statement that sidechains were not intended to solve the scaling problem was made on the same reddit thead where Greg announced the Sidechain Elements release; and I did not see any denial by the other core devs.

As I see it, the 'chain' part of 'sidechains' would be a bit of a misnomer.  I'd imagine all sidecoins to have a chain to use as an interface layer but not necessarily as a back-end.  I would hope that it is close to true to say that there is not much which 'cannot' be a sidecoin.  I've argued (sort of) to Adam that a token back-end makes more sense for a lot of use-cases than a '(now)classic' chain-based system.  Of course I'm limited in what I can 'teach' Dr. Back about...well...almost anything.

Some time ago, someone claimed that sidechains would not need special-purpose mechanisms in the bitcoin protocol; that the "peg" could be implemented simply by moving coins to and address controlled by the sidechain.  Pretty much like when a bitcoiner moves his value from raw bitcoins to a Coinbase or Bitstamp account.  I have never seen an explanation of why that would not be sufficient, and why there had to be specific support for pegs in the bitcoin protocol.

As for Blockstream's 'design, implementation, and management', I've seen nothing which indicates that it will differ from any other open-source project and nothing to be threatened by (unless you have a burning need to feel threatened of course.)

My reference to independent 'design, implementation, and management' of sidechains was not referring to Blockstream specifically.  On the contrary, my understanding is that the sidechains would NOT e under Blockstream control.  Therefore not even Blockstream could trust that they would be secure or work as claimed.

The thing about LN that really impressed me was the 'slack'.  Once in a while I pull the keys out of my pocket and a quarter comes with them and falls in a gutter.  That does not stop me from using coins and having pocket change.  From an engineering perspective there is a huge amount to be gained by having a little room for error.  That the designers were cognizant of this impressed me...although it is rather obvious to anyone who has done systems work.

I'll not speak for the LN developers, but as a general design goal a fraud-proofing perspective, the most critical thing is to not allow an operator to profit from fraud.  This will almost completely evaporate many forms of fraud from even being attempted.  A distant second priority would be how long it takes me to get my value back in the event of a failure (which I would expect to be an uncommon event and one I may never see.)

I am fairly satisfied that, in the current sketch, there is not much room for fraud in the LN.  (Not totally, though.)  But, if the LN were to be implemented, its many fatal problems would have to be solved, and the only way I can see to solve them is for clients to surrender the coins to the "LN banks" (hubs); just like today the banks own their clients' dollars.  

Even without such "improvements", the hubs could block client funds for months, deny service to specific clients and merchants, charge whatever fees they can think they can get away with, etc..  

Open source means that they not only welcome competition but foster it.  So down goes the 'one company' BS.  Blockstream only need to do it better, and that is highly likely given the makeup of the entity.

See how well they welcome BitcoinXT.  Blockstream had clearly counted on having control of the code base; for what exactly I don't know, but Adam's desperate attack on Gavin and Mike seem to be motivated more by the fear of losing that control than by seeing congestion get delayed for several years.

Luke on reddit defended that the defintion of the protocol IS the BitcoinCore code, and disaster would befall if people used any other code base; because if the other code did not copy Core down to the most obscure bug, the coin would split and that would be doom.  

Nothing about sidechains in any way detracts from the ability for individuals to use native Bitcoin except perhaps that they won't be subsidized and will thus have to pay transaction fees proportional to the cost of operating a secure system.

Forget sidechains, they are not important anymore.  Blockstream openly declared vision for the future of bitcoin is a settlement layer for the Lightning Network, which will carry most payments. The Core devs have been saying all the time on reddit that they expect the "fee market" will make bitcoin transactions so expensive that only settlements between hubs and other high-value transactions will be worth doing there.  They have talked of fees of 10, 20, or even 100 USD per transaction.  

I do sense that you are deeply hopeful that Bitcoin will collapse.  Again, I suspect that this is why Blockstream and sidechains bothers you so much.

Yes, I do hope that the bitcoin investment pyramid will collapse as soon as possible.  I have no problem with bitcoin the payment system (although I believe that it will not get much beyond an interesting experiment).

But the reason I am bothered about the Lightning Network and the "fee market" is that I am a comp sci prof and they are bad computer science.  Imagine how a physicist would react if someone proposed to replace coal stations by perpetual motion generators.

And the reason I am bothered by Blockstream is that I have this problem with cheats and liars...

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 11:34:45 AM

My reference to independent 'design, implementation, and management' of sidechains was not referring to Blockstream specifically.  On the contrary, my understanding is that the sidechains would NOT e under Blockstream control.  Therefore not even Blockstream could trust that they would be secure or work as claimed.

Get your story straight Jorge, you were claiming that Blockstream was a centralising influence not long ago. When decentralisation is manifest, you attack that. When centralisation is the only valid solution, you attack that too. It's so pathetically transparent, and you've used this tactic with all sorts of aspects of Bitcoin in the past.

Yet according to you, you're constantly buying Bitcoin. Real consistent, Jorge.

But the reason I am bothered about the Lightning Network and the "fee market" is that I am a comp sci prof and they are bad computer science.  Imagine how a physicist would react if someone proposed to replace coal stations by perpetual motion generators.

And the reason I am bothered by Blockstream is that I have this problem with cheats and liars...

No wonder you exhibit such self loathing then, you cheat and lie your way through nary every exchange you've conducted on this forum for several years. Several. Years. Will you eventually hit adulthood?

Vires in numeris
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 11:44:41 AM

paging icebreaker for immediate application of the MP-RDF. These truths cannot be left unFUDed in public!

Following the longest chain isn't the same as following the longest *valid* chain.

Bitcoin gave its first movers tremendous advantages.  XT gives its first movers tremendous disadvantages.

Defect from the socioeconomic majority at your peril.   Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 12:38:14 PM

This is a great illustration of the attack on core.  The so-called "75% attack", carried out in broad daylight with great pride.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 12:42:24 PM

This code doesn't actually block anything, just marks it as being lower priority than non-Tor traffic. It should never do anything unless there's an active DoS attack via Tor. So perfect accuracy isn't really needed here: Tor access still works fine and will do even if you run a Bitcoin node and Tor node on the same machine.

That said, I'll make a mental note to switch to the second URL when I work on this code again (might be soon, given the ongoing DoS attacks via Tor we're seeing).

It explicitly says it disconnects addresses with low to negative priority.

This would be the first time in history that anyone was blacklisted from using Bitcoin if XT forks, it's a big deal and against the fundamental reasons Bitcoin is used.

It's blocking attackers during an attack, and even restores their connection when an attack is over. I don't see anything wrong wit this.
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 12:46:54 PM

Following the longest chain isn't the same as following the longest *valid* chain.

Bitcoin gave its first movers tremendous advantages.  XT gives its first movers tremendous disadvantages.

Defect from the socioeconomic majority at your peril.   Tongue

I've realised that taking your posts seriously was the problem. I find them much better now I view them as light entertainment. I can't believe I was so naive as to fall for it before! Still we can't always be perfect Smiley

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 12:49:15 PM

This is a great illustration of the attack on core.  The so-called "75% attack", carried out in broad daylight with great pride.

As opposed to the Blockstream minority trojan attack, carried out with great malice, in secret!

Why waste time convincing everyone when you can just subvert the key holders. Solid planTM.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 12:52:50 PM

This code doesn't actually block anything, just marks it as being lower priority than non-Tor traffic. It should never do anything unless there's an active DoS attack via Tor. So perfect accuracy isn't really needed here: Tor access still works fine and will do even if you run a Bitcoin node and Tor node on the same machine.

That said, I'll make a mental note to switch to the second URL when I work on this code again (might be soon, given the ongoing DoS attacks via Tor we're seeing).

It explicitly says it disconnects addresses with low to negative priority.

This would be the first time in history that anyone was blacklisted from using Bitcoin if XT forks, it's a big deal and against the fundamental reasons Bitcoin is used.

It's blocking attackers during an attack, and even restores their connection when an attack is over. I don't see anything wrong wit this.

Tor exit nodes are automatically downloaded which is a bad thing and Tor exit nodes IPs have lower priority.

sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 12:59:57 PM

Tor exit nodes are automatically downloaded which is a bad thing and Tor exit nodes IPs have lower priority.

Not ideal, but not necessarily a bad thing. It will only occur if you are running your node in the open - in which case you are broadcasting your iP address anyway.

If you are running behind a proxy, then the download doesn't occur at all, and no attempt is made to intervene in possible dDos attacks.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:01:08 PM

Bitcoin gave its first movers tremendous advantages.  XT gives its first movers tremendous disadvantages.

Defect from the socioeconomic majority at your peril.   Tongue

I've realised that taking your posts seriously was the problem. I find them much better now I view them as light entertainment. I can't believe I was so naive as to fall for it before! Still we can't always be perfect Smiley

talking about your post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=800330.0

noob. Roll Eyes
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:10:54 PM

americanpegasus on reddit brings up a good idea about what could be going on with Bitcoin atm:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3i4wfx/its_either_going_to_happen_or_already_has/

I was reading these words from another topic and I realized that this is exactly what will happen to cryptocurrency if it is deemed as a serious threat to the powers that be.

"The Achilles Heel of any such movement is that it is vulnerable to infiltration, manipulation and domination by charismatic agents placed into highly visible and "authoritative" (media focused) positions, with the specific intent of obscuring the goals, and misdirecting the energy and momentum of the "mob" to render it impotent and harmless.

Occupy Wallstreet was defeated via a "bloodless coup". Certain personalities were injected into the mass to sow discord and disruption. Had the movement progressed further, other strategies would no doubt have been employed wherein agent provocateurs and "firebrands" would have been inserted to initiate violent riots and destruction - thereby tarnishing the image of supporters as "thugs", and giving authorities license to crush the movement with heavy-handed force that would be seen as "justified" by the media-mesmerized masses.

At least this is the technique, which was/is successfully used against a lot of peoples movements worldwide and we have a situation ongoing with Bitcoin, which pretty much looks like an orchestrated attack on Bitcoin, "the peoples money"...

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:14:09 PM

Bitcoin gave its first movers tremendous advantages.  XT gives its first movers tremendous disadvantages.

noob. Roll Eyes

To talk about my post you have to first read it (beyond the title that is specifically designed to catch out simpletons) and then understand it. You are going to struggle with that second part I can tell.

oh and its "n00b!"

JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:26:51 PM

No wonder you exhibit such self loathing then, you cheat and lie your way through nary every exchange you've conducted on this forum for several years. Several. Years. Will you eventually hit adulthood?

Quite a feat there since I only became aware of bitcoin  around Nov/2013.  That is 1 year and 10 months ago, barely.  So who is lying?  Grin

Get your story straight Jorge, you were claiming that Blockstream was a centralising influence not long ago. When decentralisation is manifest, you attack that. When centralisation is the only valid solution, you attack that too.

I am pretty convinced that Blockstream tried, and is still trying, to centralize control of software development.  It would be quite a bit of coincidence, don't you think, that they hired most of the Core developers:  Adam Back (President), Greg Maxwell, Pieter Wuille, Matt Corallo, Mark Friedenbach, Rusty Russell, Patrick "Intersango" Strateman, Jorge Timón, and Glen Willen. There may be others. Luke "Tonal" Jr works for Blockstream as contractor.  Do you think that they would be happy to see some other implementation become the reference one?

Sidechains were not intended to centralize development on Blockstream.  Their stated goal was to allow experimentation with different protocols and service models without the need of changes to bitcoin itself.  Their unstated goal was basically political, namey to protect bitcoin from the threat of being superseded by an altcoin.  The hope was that promising altcoins would choose to be "backed by bitcoin" (even if that did not mean much actually) and therefore would want to cooperate with and support it, instead of compete with and disparage it.  

The grand plan of Blockstream devs for scaling bitcoin has been, for some time already, pushing the normal traffic to off-chain solutions and having bitcoin be the "gold of the internet", a medium reserved for high-value settlements between those off-chain systems.  At first, they fuzzily imagined that sidechains could be such off-chain systems, but perhaps they realized that they would not work (I can think of many reasons why).  So, when the Lightning Network came up they embraced it.  The existing sketch of the LN has many fatal problems too, which they know; but still they are happy to use it as an excuse for their plan of bitcoin into congestion.

Yet according to you, you're constantly buying Bitcoin. Real consistent, Jorge.

As I said many times, I have been doubling my holdings of bitcoins every day since Nov/2013.  Honest.  I still don t have as much as Satoshi, though.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:27:29 PM

noob. Roll Eyes

To talk about my post you have to first read it (beyond the title that is specifically designed to catch out simpletons) and then understand it. You are going to struggle with that second part I can tell.

oh and its "n00b!"

yea well, i dont have to read it, just the same as you dont qualify to juge what is to be done with bitcoin on a technical/development level, so just keep speculating and make a fool out of yourself in public. that you seem to be good at.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:43:05 PM

https://i.imgur.com/HOT1XfX.png

That yes/no image is incorrect.
If core is the longest chain and someone is stupid enough to mine an XT block that core doesn't allow, then all XT nodes will follow the XT block fork.
Thus if core continues to be the longest chain (which it will) then XT clients will not follow the longest chain possibly until later.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Bagatell

Activity: 722

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:45:11 PM

i hope all these crazy arguments about bitcoin XT and core ends faster because it is starting to hurt bitcoin more than helping it.

It's only just started.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoinxt/comments/3i6krb/mike_hearn_summarizes_how_vision_in_bitcoin_core/
Muhammed Zakir

Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 02:06:57 PM

Not ideal, but not necessarily a bad thing. It will only occur if you are running your node in the open - in which case you are broadcasting your iP address anyway.

If you are running behind a proxy, then the download doesn't occur at all, and no attempt is made to intervene in possible dDos attacks.

What about preventing Tor network usage? Still not a bad thing?

turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 02:27:05 PM

So, I was away for 3 days and it seems like nothing has changed.
Has anybody actually analyzed the code or are we still talking about some comments in BitcoinXT, which are also in Bitcoin Core?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
MF Doom

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 02:29:24 PM

i hope all these crazy arguments about bitcoin XT and core ends faster because it is starting to hurt bitcoin more than helping it.

I agree, it makes btc look too "fringe" and I think it will alienate new people from thinking about acquiring any btc.  In 6 months from now, if the network can get any stronger/faster/more secure, then it may help, but hopefully by then the damage isn't already done.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: