Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:13:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does xt REALLY log your ip address? and want to blacklist addresses and coins?  (Read 1693 times)
KhalDrago

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:51:47 PM

No, XT is the way to go mainstream.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bat26

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 03:20:43 PM

As if there wasn't enough threads at over 15!!!
username18333

Activity: 378

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 06:12:20 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2015, 06:28:57 PM by username18333

It's been 30 days since Bitcoin Core/XT released v 0.11.0. In that time, there are 3000 nodes that have upgraded and while 0.11.0 has a lot of fixes, it's by no means a critical/required update. If a non consensus feature became abused and widely disseminated and agreed upon as 'bad for bitcoin', why wouldn't clients switch to a new version w/o that feature enabled in even less time?
(Colorization mine.)

If these "clients" (canth) moved, without coercion, to utilize "a non consensus feature" (canth) then it had not been "agreed upon as 'bad for itcoin'" (canth).

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
crypto jerk (OP)

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 03:58:58 PM

they hid a sophisticated program which logs your ip even if you're on proxy or tor, and they add IPs to a blacklist and whitelist. It's not all objective, they can add people at will too. This is much worse than I ever thought, they can control every bitcoin user if they got their fork. It would end bitcoin as we know it. It's a horrible and disgusting abuse of Bitcoin

FWIW I've run into a lot of regulatory people who have pretty clear views that Bitcoin mining should be regulated such that addresses are blacklisted or even whitelisted. Obviously that's a goal, not necessarily what they'll succeed in making happen, but that's what the long-term intent is. For instance, one regulator I talked to a few months ago at a conference was *very* clear in her view that the Bitcoin protocol simply must be changed to add verified digital identities to the protocol itself, and mining blocks with transactions without valid identities and/or extending blockchains with non-compliant transactions should be an illegal activity that's prosecuted.

More and more I see it likely that Bitcoin is going to become "the worst nightmare we could have ever imagined".

Mike Hearn is one of those that will be remembered as a person that "paved the way to hell with good intentions".

As a person I actually have found him to be okay so it is disappointing that he just doesn't seem to see what it is that he has decided to support (which is complete totalitarian control over everyone's finances).

In the future I predict we'll miss when we had "cash".

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 06:19:17 PM

they hid a sophisticated program which logs your ip even if you're on proxy or tor, and they add IPs to a blacklist and whitelist. It's not all objective, they can add people at will too. This is much worse than I ever thought, they can control every bitcoin user if they got their fork. It would end bitcoin as we know it. It's a horrible and disgusting abuse of Bitcoin

FWIW I've run into a lot of regulatory people who have pretty clear views that Bitcoin mining should be regulated such that addresses are blacklisted or even whitelisted. Obviously that's a goal, not necessarily what they'll succeed in making happen, but that's what the long-term intent is. For instance, one regulator I talked to a few months ago at a conference was *very* clear in her view that the Bitcoin protocol simply must be changed to add verified digital identities to the protocol itself, and mining blocks with transactions without valid identities and/or extending blockchains with non-compliant transactions should be an illegal activity that's prosecuted.

More and more I see it likely that Bitcoin is going to become "the worst nightmare we could have ever imagined".

Mike Hearn is one of those that will be remembered as a person that "paved the way to hell with good intentions".

As a person I actually have found him to be okay so it is disappointing that he just doesn't seem to see what it is that he has decided to support (which is complete totalitarian control over everyone's finances).

I've got good news for you. All of your fears can be solved by  -disableipprio

crypto jerk (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:32:14 PM

"Trust US we're from the government and we're here to help" ROFL

so you are basically saying, the features aren't necessary.

But the features ARE there.

and they CAN be used for oppressive purposes.

When in the course of human history has a power that be NOT taken advantage of power?

I vote NO CONFIDENCE in XT, Gavin and Hearn.
canth
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:57:59 PM

"Trust US we're from the government and we're here to help" ROFL

so you are basically saying, the features aren't necessary.

But the features ARE there.

and they CAN be used for oppressive purposes.

When in the course of human history has a power that be NOT taken advantage of power?

I vote NO CONFIDENCE in XT, Gavin and Hearn.

I'm not all that confident that you know how bitcoin works, nevermind the anti-ddos feature.

1) The feature does NOTHING unless you have a node that has all of it's incoming connections in use. In the event that connections are full and a node connects to you, there needs to be some logic as to whether to accept the new connection, drop it and what connections to prioritize. In order to prevent your node from being attacked by malicious nodes, there is a desire to drop certain connections first - in this case, Tor connections are de-prioritized. Basically, 99% of the time this feature has no impact whatsoever.

2) If you disable it, it does nothing at all.

How can it be used for an "oppressive purpose" if it's disabled? What special power does Hearn have to "take advantage of power"? Dude...this is FOSS. If you don't like something about it, you can vote with your feet and leave. Give it up, plz.

crypto jerk (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:51:41 PM

Let me simplify..

Does XT work nicely with black and whitelists?

If so, then I think you know what I'm going to say.
chrisvl
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006

Trainman

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 11:52:57 PM

there are posted on wrong place

canth
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 01:18:42 AM

Let me simplify..

Does XT work nicely with black and whitelists?

If so, then I think you know what I'm going to say.

This conversation is boring and you aren't educating me or anyone else here with your tripe. Unsubscribe.

username18333

Activity: 378

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 01:22:12 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2015, 04:50:13 AM by username18333

In order to prevent your node from being attacked by malicious nodes, there is a desire to drop certain connections first - in this case, Tor connections are de-prioritized.

(Note: the [present] irrelevance of the [presently, non-] issue you reference renders the reference specious. [See the below.])

Quote from: Laurence Rees, "Viewpoint: His dark charisma," BBC News Magazine, 2012  <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20237437>
Hitler was the archetypal "charismatic leader". He was not a "normal" politician - someone who promises policies like lower taxes and better health care - but a quasi-religious leader who offered almost spiritual goals of redemption and salvation. He was driven forward by a sense of personal destiny he called "providence".
(Colorization mine.)

Quote from: David Konstan, “Epicurus,” Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2014
[Epicurus] regarded the unacknowledged fear of death and punishment as the primary cause of anxiety among human beings, and anxiety in turn as the source of extreme and irrational desires.
(Colorization mine.)

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
crypto jerk (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 03:50:18 AM

snip...
My point is also a good one, unlike yours. Mike is a friend of the state-paradigm. He will happily cooperate with anything any state asks him to, he has said as much in the past. Have fun using his coin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: