Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 05:13:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Higher Blocksize = lower BTC price...Why?  (Read 1368 times)
BlackJacky (OP)

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 07:42:03 AM

Hi all,

I just heard from an "expert" on Bloomberg that a higher blocksize will result in a lower btc price because more transactions will go through. But why will this result in a lower btc price?!?

Thanks in advance
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 07:50:38 AM

Complete and utter nonsense.

The block size limit MAY have an impact on the transaction fee, but that's something entirely different than the Bitcoin price itself.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 07:56:29 AM

I also fail to see the correlation, can you point to the video or article?

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:08:37 AM

more transactions going through is a great advantage if you ask me. don't know why bloomberg "expert" is saying nonsense like this. some people just want to put their articles on the net without a quality check.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:21:42 AM

The block size limit MAY have an impact on the transaction fee, but that's something entirely different than the Bitcoin price itself.

^^^This.
Unless you are talking about the block size debate which does affect the price a bit then I too fail to see how a larger block size will drive the price down.
If anything, more transactions mean more tx fees and possibly more Bitcoin users joining in.
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 08:24:11 AM

the correlation comes from the economic theory of friction

the higher the friction - the slower the exchange rate - the higher the price

however, that hardly applies to bitcoin

BlackJacky (OP)

Activity: 237

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:37:18 AM

Here you can watch the video...he is saying it at minute 2.4

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-08-19/bitcoin-xt-what-is-it-and-why-was-it-released-

I think he is refering to the "velocity of money" if there are more transactions the price is falling but applying that to the block size makes no sense to me too
fulgdenea

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:42:04 AM

Hi all,

I just heard from an "expert" on Bloomberg that a higher blocksize will result in a lower btc price because more transactions will go through. But why will this result in a lower btc price?!?

Thanks in advance

That is report by stupid expert on Bloomberg is completely nonsense who don't know bitcion  doesn't depend on more transaction, anyway that analysis is like by from a kid. 
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 10:47:47 AM

Bloomberg might be one of the largest news services out there but trust me, don't believe everything they and or any other news service publish.

Check the facts before you take what they have to say as fact.

All of these news services are in it for the money and in order to generate that they need to publish relevant news. If they dont they dont get eyes on their material and if they don't get eyes on their material then they make no money.

So its almost a race to see who can publish the most news, whether entirely relevant or not, and in that race more often than not you will find badly researched articles, like the one mentioned here, which get published just for the sake of having something 'relevant' up on their site and or out on the news wires.

Yeezus

Activity: 214

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:53:14 AM

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Don't listen to so called experts. Most of them don't know what they're talking about. The drop in price will just be down to confusion, worry and panic if any. Once this who debacle gets sorted out I'm sure btc will climb back up again.

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 11:12:34 AM

Yeah yeah our so called TV experts...LOL.
The Block size will have no effect to BTC's price. To a greater degree it will effect transaction fees. If 1MB limit would stay and blocks get filled up people will pay higher fees to get transactions as fast as possible confirmed.
With bigger blocks will there be more than enough space at least for a while before blocks would get filled up. So fees could stay low.At least this is the theory.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 11:23:59 AM

TV "experts" on Bloomberg talking about Bitcoin. Gimme a break, they understand jack shit about Bitcoin. Pay no attention to these commercial newscasters.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:12:04 PM

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

this sounds more like nonsense to me honestly.
even if the bitcoin price goes down because of the higher block size it would be because of an indirect effect, like panic and FUD that is spread in the meantime which makes some panic sells happen.

Only Bitcoin
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 03:20:48 PM

A Bloomberg Bitcoin expert. lol  Roll Eyes
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 03:23:04 PM

exactly. please dont listen to bloomberg "news" or you are doomed  Roll Eyes
the experts are on this board and not on bloomberg.

oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 03:23:41 PM

I dont see any sense on this. If there is more demand and the supply stays the same, surely the price would go up? I mean what are other alternatives? Its nonsense.
This doesn't change the fact XT must be avoided. Im all for BIP101 but not for XT.
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 06:18:54 PM

I dont see any sense on this. If there is more demand and the supply stays the same, surely the price would go up? I mean what are other alternatives? Its nonsense.
This doesn't change the fact XT must be avoided. Im all for BIP101 but not for XT.
Please understand that the pragmatic reality is that Core will never increase its block size. So if we the people want bigger blocks it must be done through a hard fork, whether that is XT or another proposal. The ability to hard fork exists so that such disagreements can be resolved and so that we have the ability to disrupt the centralization of power that can come to exist within a development team.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 06:24:11 PM

OP could have misheard it. The "expert" could have said: Higher blocksize DEBATE have lowered bitcoin price. This I think is true.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 06:25:56 PM

The only correlation between blockszie and BTC price lies in the debate behind blocksize. If blocksize becomes a crontroversial issue (i.e. Bitcoin-XT/8MB blocks), then the price may drop due to tensions within the community, with some members becoming alienated. The value of Bitcoin is directly dependent on the community support behind it, after all.
RaXmOuSe

Activity: 239

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 06:28:06 PM

A Bloomberg Bitcoin expert. lol  Roll Eyes

hehe y...and bloombergs news, lol!!  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: