Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:48:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the plan to recover after XT Takeover ??  (Read 1618 times)
knolix (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 10

MeVu

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 09:43:31 PM

I have boght BTC thinking it will keep his value and will be secured over time.
I don't care if 75% of miners want to exchange my BTC with worthless XBTC coins
XBTC doubles block size every 2 years not leaving room for transaction fees market (same effect as doubling the 21 mil coins every 2 years)
BTC 21 mil cap and BTC block size need to be fixed numbers

Since Bitcoin XT attack it's in progress the price will only go down and i don't think the attackers will give up till they fork the network.

Do you think after the fork mass adoption will happen ??

If my BTC get's turned into XBTC the only solution i see is to use my XBTC to pay for transaction fees while sending mass comercial messages over to every XBTC active address i can harvest.

Since XBTC has no transaction fee market i'm expecting the transactions to be quite cheap so i can target many addresses and even turn a profit

What do you guys think ?

TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 10:12:35 PM

I don't see how the block size increase would end transaction fees. First of all, miners have the power to accept transactions based on fees, no matter what the block size limit. Second, if you want Bitcoin to grow more mainstream, you'll want more capacity for transactions per second, and hence larger blocks.

However, there are good reasons to limit the block size, and the various plans to increase it are very moderate and controlled. BIP 101 suggests an eightfold increase for starters, and then doubling annually. If you want Bitcoin to go mainstream, you'll probably want more than 8x increase from current usage.

Please note, I'm only talking about block size limit, and not the XT client. If we're deciding on the future of Bitcoin, it's much better to handle one well-defined issue at a time, rather than shove a bunch of shady features down our throats.

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 10:15:27 PM

XBTC doubles block size every 2 years not leaving room for transaction fees market (same effect as doubling the 21 mil coins every 2 years)

What do you guys think ?

I think you should start doing minimum research before investing in anything.

You do realise that initially there was no block size cap? You know that 1mb was temporary solution? Are you aware that both XT and Core devs see the need of lifting the 1mb?

Off course you don't.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
knolix (OP)

MeVu

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 10:27:22 PM

I don't see how the block size increase would end transaction fees.

Are You Kidding Me?

Why someone would pay higher transaction fee if the supply (block size) it's larger then the demand (active transactions)

For XT client will get to 8G in about 30 years

If we agree on a larger block size it should be fixed not increasing exponential. And we should also consider the transaction fees market to prevent spam

Best Regards

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 10:29:15 PM

Since Bitcoin XT attack it's in progress the price will only go down and i don't think the attackers will give up till they fork the network.

Do you think after the fork mass adoption will happen ??

If my BTC get's turned into XBTC the only solution i see is to use my XBTC to pay for transaction fees while sending mass comercial messages over to every XBTC active address i can harvest.

Since XBTC has no transaction fee market i'm expecting the transactions to be quite cheap so i can target many addresses and even turn a profit

What do you guys think ?

No, there will be no mass adoption just due to fork , if it ever happens anyways.
No, your btc won't be "converted to anything". If blockchain splits, you can load wallet to both clients and have same number of both funds. i.e. you have 10 btc now, you will have 10 btc on core
version of blockchain, and 10 on xt version.
Who said that xbtc  would have "no fee's" ?
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 10:50:04 PM

Why someone would pay higher transaction fee if the supply (block size) it's larger then the demand (active transactions)

Please read my post again, especially the note where miners can still decide whether or not to accept transactions. This is how Bitcoin is working already.

If your supply is higher than demand, it doesn't mean you give everything away for free, you can still set your price.

I should also mention that BIP 101 allows for miners to set soft limits on the blocksize, i.e. smaller than the hard limit of 1 MB/ 8MB / 8GB or whatever.

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 10:50:53 PM

If you want a fixed blocksize limit shouldn't it be what satoshi originally implemented?  Wasn't it 8 or 32mb?
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 10:54:35 PM

Dude, if the fork happens, it's because we chose to!

We are the 'attack'!

No recover is needed!

knolix (OP)

MeVu

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 10:55:43 PM

You do realise that initially there was no block size cap? You know that 1mb was temporary solution? Are you aware that both XT and Core devs see the need of lifting the 1mb?

Off course you don't.

I know that initially there was no block size cap. I read this argument countless times. But what was the value of this technology when there was no block size cap ?

As a bitcoin entusiast i do want to see mass adoption and i realize that 1M it's quite small for that.
But we can change it after we experiment with the fee market. After the 21 mil coins have been mined the fees market it's the only thing that will suport the security of the network.

But as an investor i don't care about mass adoption. As an investor i want to see BTC grow under it's curent limits (21 mil coints and 1M blocksize)

Best Regards

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 10:59:56 PM

But as an investor i don't care about mass adoption. As an investor i want to see BTC grow under it's curent limits (21 mil coints and 1M blocksize)

Why?

You've had it pointed out to you that miners can choose what they want to charge to accept transactions, whatever the block size.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
knolix (OP)

MeVu

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 11:06:49 PM

If you want a fixed blocksize limit shouldn't it be what satoshi originally implemented?  Wasn't it 8 or 32mb?

I think it's better 8 or 32mb then exponential blocksize increase.

The size it's 1m now and that's what my personal preference is.
The fact that satoshi originally implemented 8 or 32 it's not an argument. What if he originally wanted 42 mil coins .... should we change that now ?

knolix (OP)

MeVu

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 11:11:52 PM

Why?

You've had it pointed out to you that miners can choose what they want to charge to accept transactions, whatever the block size.

You have a valid argument.
Still triyng to grasp this concept

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 11:16:40 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2015, 11:34:00 PM by pawel7777

Off course you don't.

I know that initially there was no block size cap. I read this argument countless times. But what was the value of this technology when there was no block size cap ?

As a bitcoin entusiast i do want to see mass adoption and i realize that 1M it's quite small for that.
But we can change it after we experiment with the fee market. After the 21 mil coins have been mined the fees market it's the only thing that will suport the security of the network.

Best Regards

As both, an enthusiast and investor you want value to increase. But it won't increase if there's no adoption and practical usage. And the adoption will be crippled if tx fees are too high and capacity of tx per sec is too low.
With mass adoption, more transactions with affordable and predictable fees will provide much higher reward for miners than higher fees in small number of txs.

That was the plan from the start.

Edit: removed one line that didn't make sense (misread quoted post)

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 11:24:15 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2015, 11:48:34 PM by quakefiend420

Off course you don't.

Best Regards

Which one sounds more attractive to both users and miners:

1. 100000 transactions in a block, each paying .0001 as a fee.  (roughly 50MB blocks)
2. 1800 transactions in a block, each paying .005

Now before you answer that, imagine that the price of BTC has increased due to increased adoption(the market cap is likely going to need to increase substantially to handle additional commerce, right now there are mid cap companies with larger), let's say to $10000 each.

Now if you're using lightning/sidechains/etc you can still transact cheaply and quickly for most day to day activities.  But let's say that your transaction isn't something that you want "on the books", most likely due to an oppressive government.  Whether it's drugs or literary material, there's a government somewhere with the will to stop it.  Is that worth a dollar(.0001)?  Probably.  Is it worth $50?  Maybe not.

Increasing blocksize is going to ensure that users can still afford to transact directly on the blockchain without needing to trust an intermediary, not prevent it.
knolix (OP)

MeVu

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 11:37:27 PM

From what i understand block propagation takes some time after the miner found a block
If the minner fills the block with more transactions he will cut his chances of getting the reward.
So it will be a mix between proof of work and proof of upload speed favorizing miners with higher upload speed.
I don't think this was originaly intended and might lead to centralization

Best Regards

meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 11:39:22 PM

From what i understand block propagation takes some time after the miner found a block
If the minner fills the block with more transactions he will cut his chances of getting the reward.
So it will be a mix between proof of work and proof of upload speed favorizing miners with higher upload speed.

Best Regards

Ah .... You pretended to trick us into another centralization argument.

Nice one OP some members got tricked to join this thread.

onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 11:41:55 PM

Best Regards

as you seem to know bitcoin quite well i bet you know what "headers first" mean?

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 11:43:29 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2015, 11:59:18 PM by quakefiend420

Best Regards

But the block reward is going to diminish and internet connections will continue to improve, making that less relevant as time goes on(which is why we need a schedule or dynamic mechanism for block scaling, not a one time increase such as BIP102).  Not to mention that the majority of the network is doing SPV mining even today with 1MB blocks.

Transaction fees have to be enough to sustain the security of the network.  And that means bigger blocks.
knolix (OP)

MeVu

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 11:46:39 PM

Don't want to trick anyone into anything
Just want to understand what is happening

quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 11:47:05 PM

Don't want to trick anyone into anything
Just want to understand what is happening

See my last two replies, I'm interested to hear what you think after considering them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: