Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:46:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse Theme Park (500 Acres) Awsome!  (Read 3179 times)
BitcoinINV (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:15:14 PM

"Taken from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/zombie-apocalaypse-detroit-theme-park_n_1644298.html"

Thought this was cool and a good way to refurbish crack-land to something usable.

Why wait for the zombie apocalypse? One man wants customers to experience the terror now.

With soaring budget deficits and population on the decline, Detroit has become a laboratory for testing out creative solutions for cities, like urban farming and pedestrian-friendly greenway trails.

Mark Siwak says he has his own idea for bettering the city -- a live-action zombie theme park set in one of Detroit's abandoned neighborhoods.

Paying customers would be chased by a growing horde of zombies (all professionals) through a cordoned-off, desolate section of the city, seeking shelter in abandoned homes and factories and businesses.

Z World creator Siwak, who has launched a fundraiser on IndieGoGo (he's raised $2,200 of the $140,000 needed to meet his goal), says that the city of Detroit needs to consider creative solutions to areas of urban blight.

Mayor Dave Bing's long-touted campaign promise was the implementation of the Detroit Works Project, which could ultimately relocate residents from blighted districts to more populated areas in an attempt to centralize city services. Spread across 140 square miles, Detroit proper is so large that the entire cities of San Francisco and Boston, plus the borough of Manhattan, can fit inside its borders.

And Siwak says, with all that land, there's room in the Motor City for a zombie theme park. He even compares his idea to the city's famed Heidelberg Project, in which artist Tyree Guyton transformed the empty homes of his neighborhood into a large-scale art installation.

But some critics have shrugged off "Z World" as an exploitative and insensitive ploy to profit off the glamorization of Detroit's problems. Curbed Detroit blogger Sarah Cox wrote that Siwak's plan "sounds a lot like all that fun we had during the 1960s race riots. It is nice to know that Z Land is finally going to capitalize on our love of adrenaline rushes and nostalgia. Now even visitors from the 'burbs can 'wonder if they will make it through the night.'"

Siwak told CBS Detroit that "the city can only have so many urban farms or similar uses for vacant plots.'

And while he's far away from his funding goals, not to mention permission from the City of Detroit, he says he's already getting resumes from Detroiters who'd like their next 9-to-5 to focus on eating brains and staggering through the streets.

On his site, Siwak assured, "while zombies are great, the real neat thing about this project is the potential to inject some life into a forgotten neighborhood - with the opportunity to work with neighborhood groups and organization."

This wouldn't be the world's first live-action zombie role-play game, though Detroit's proposal is almost certainly the most expansive. In Atlanta, thrill-seekers wielding paint ball guns will pay as much as $30 to play hide-and-seek with undead zombies in a formerly abandoned truck stop rechristened as the Atlanta Zombie Apocalypse, opening Sept. 28. Over on the other side of the pond, wish.co.uk offers zombie combat mission experiences with training from military veterans and movie-grade special effects.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:47:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4awVqRr1eCo&playnext=1&list=PLD123832A6E42DACE&feature=results_main

Yawn.. Why create a theme park first? (wait for the end in that video)

BitcoinINV (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 08:01:45 PM

Yea I seen that when it first came out, I lived in Miami for a while and was actually shocked the guy did not shoot him lol.

evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 08:16:18 PM

I'd go.
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:27:42 AM

Three things:

1. Awesome idea!
2. It's all fun and games until someone gets killed in all the fun.
3. I don't think I'd ever go for the same reason I don't go to zombie rallies: its the perfect cover for some sicko to actually release "the t virus" or whatever you would like to call it.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 02:39:26 AM

This is cool but it will never happen. Factories and slums in the area have contaminated so much of Detroit that it would cost too much to clean it up in order to create a "zombie" park safe for the public.

Bitznbitz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 04:07:52 AM

Now that would be a vacation destination. Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 05:07:15 AM

This is cool but it will never happen. Factories and slums in the area have contaminated so much of Detroit that it would cost too much to clean it up in order to create a "zombie" park safe for the public.

And once the idea get legs, that's when grant money starts pouring in to do the EPA cleanup.

And another thought.

Who in their right mind would go to Detroit with a pocketful of fiat? Sounds like a perfect place to use the Ellet on all the QR-codes scattered around Zombie World.

Think about this for a sec. If Bitcoin were an actual business, the PR guys would be all over this story, thus boosting both entities. But instead we have two fringe ideals looking to break out.

~Bruno~
BitcoinINV (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:27:39 PM

The city already has grant money for it, they are trying to condense the city so they are willing to help them move people from the outskirts to the center. Houses in the "D" sell from anywhere from 1k-10k in the slum parts.

evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:45:31 PM

http://www.ibtimes.com/detroit-police-visitors-enter-your-own-risk-842953

Detroit is scarier than any zombie apocalypse...the cops are now passing out "enter Detroit at your own risk" flyers because they can no longer protect the city.
goodlord666

100%

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 10:33:08 PM

Detroit actually offers an opportunity to try something else entirely.

underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 10:56:40 PM

Robocop.

goodlord666

100%

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 11:13:37 PM

Robocop.

Meh. What I do know is that Detroit has some fantastic architecture. Though run-down. And a great history.

BitcoinINV (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 11:32:24 PM

There is a great site with the old architecture of detriot think its called detriotdefunk or something like that. The guy goes around and photographs old buldings before they are demolished or burned by detriots great residents lol.

goodlord666

100%

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 12:00:08 AM

There is a great site with the old architecture of detriot think its called detriotdefunk or something like that. The guy goes around and photographs old buldings before they are demolished or burned by detriots great residents lol.

I remember a Detroit photographer's site like that from years ago. Let me see if I can find it again.... well, there's a lot of them really if you just do a google image search.

Why aren't they building things like that anymore?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 12:54:00 AM

I remember a Detroit photographer's site like that from years ago. Let me see if I can find it again.... well, there's a lot of them really if you just do a google image search.

Why aren't they building things like that anymore?

Believe it not, the architectural salvage in that building alone would exceed a quarter of a million dollars. Last week, I just signed a contract to purchase only a roof that covers a half acre on 79th St. in Chicago. I'll gross right at $70K just for the lumber, not counting the copper and other metals. I've toyed with the idea of relocating to Detroit to salvage century-old homes and industrial buildings. There's a MF goldmine there. I have a buyer that will pay me $200 for each and every vintage newel post I can lay my hands on, like the one below.

The theatre above would make a nice place to put on a zombie play. Too bad it's probably not up to codes.

You want to see what a $100M looks like? Google images using Detroit Blight (no quotes).

Definitely a zombie heaven (below). BTW, those pedestal tubs go for $600 even in the condition you see.

underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 01:03:24 AM

From what I have seen, some people on this forum wouldn't mind if you did move there. Smiley

I can pretty much agree with the belief that the theme park idea is going to flop though, too many loose ends on that kind of a project that will be its undoing before it ever begins.

abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 02:19:18 AM

.... BTW, those pedestal tubs go for $600 even in the condition you see.

Where do you sell them for $600 each? Tried selling one on craigslist for $150 for months and couldn't get a buyer.
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 02:38:16 AM

Florida, people would probably buy them here. Not much in the way of very old furniture or fixtures down here.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 03:24:28 AM

Florida, people would probably buy them here. Not much in the way of very old furniture or fixtures down here.

My main buyer for tubs was in Florida. Want to know who? His business has been off though for the past couple years, but still a kickin'.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: