Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:33:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How traceable is bitcoin?  (Read 3499 times)
kenbytes (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:33:30 PM

I've had a credit card stolen, and while I've cancelled everything with the bank, and looking online I think I cancelled early enough, they've told me some transactions might go through. If they buy bitcoin, is there a way of reporting and catching the bastards? Or are they untraceable?

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:35:30 PM

No track in Bitcoin network.

by the way, FIAT system allow you to denounce fraudulent operation on your account ... for a total of 380 days after this operation.

this is called "chargeback".
and, to buy bitcoin, the chargeback is not ... a refused task (after all, paper printer is for that, too).
kenbytes (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:40:17 PM

No track in Bitcoin network.

by the way, FIAT system allow you to denounce fraudulent operation on your account ... for a total of 380 days after this operation.

this is called "chargeback".
and, to buy bitcoin, the chargeback is not ... a refused task (after all, paper printer is for that, too).
tanks man  Wink

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:53:21 PM

there are traces left in bitcoin network that may allow people or organization to link transactions and addresses to people.

for example, if you are in a exchange and send your docs to buy and sell bitcoin.

and your IP is revealed to the peers when you send a transaction if you don't mask your IP
point0

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 12:07:24 AM

If you send multiple transaction with SPV wallet, from different addresses, its fairly easy for someone spying on your to link the addresses to your IP. So extra precaution and intelligence is required if anonymity is important to you.

I've had a credit card stolen, and while I've cancelled everything with the bank, and looking online I think I cancelled early enough, they've told me some transactions might go through. If they buy bitcoin, is there a way of reporting and catching the bastards? Or are they untraceable?

YOU ARE THE BASTARD!

Maybe a mod should kindly mute this user for a while or forever. =/

This guy is a bit-x scam supporter , after exposing his loving company he got angry on this thread :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1155990.0

Now he is following all my post , lool  (im being watched)  

Also i will report you for this .
Delek

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 12:11:42 AM

These are the guys that transform PayPal -> Bitcoin in ScamLand.  Cry

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:32:04 PM

If you send multiple transaction with SPV wallet, from different addresses, its fairly easy for someone spying on your to link the addresses to your IP. So extra precaution and intelligence is required if anonymity is important to you.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
MoorChael

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 08:27:13 PM

there are traces left in bitcoin network that may allow people or organization to link transactions and addresses to people.

for example, if you are in a exchange and send your docs to buy and sell bitcoin.

and your IP is revealed to the peers when you send a transaction if you don't mask your IP

As you can disguise your IP?
Delek

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 10:11:53 PM

The point is that btc is 100% traceable. It is up to you to hide your name from addresses.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 10:40:37 PM

Bitcoin is Anonymous, which means if we can find the address we may not able find who owns it.

faucet used to be profitable
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 06:26:17 AM

As you can disguise your IP?

Yes you can "disguise your IP" by using VPN, some SPV wallets like MultiBit HD is working on Tor integration so that will honestly will fix most of the theoretical spying. However Tor is not 100% faultproof so taking basic precautions is still required or highly suggested.

Its only very hard to tell and prove who own an address without some user doing an action that reveal himself.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 06:32:07 AM

The point is that btc is 100% traceable. It is up to you to hide your name from addresses.

How btc address can be traced? If one don't provide any phone # or ID proof to open account then I don't think any once can trace the btc address owner.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 06:43:06 AM

How btc address can be traced? If one don't provide any phone # or ID proof to open account then I don't think any once can trace the btc address owner.

The transactions are 100% traceable. It doesn't mean they're going to get your phone number.
It means every transactions sent from X to Y are traced. This create a trace-ability.

You need to either mix your BTC with a service or break the trace-ability from BTC in the end -> Fiat, purchase, etc.

Otherwise it doesn't matter how many transactions the funds go through, A->B->C->D->E->Online Purchase. A will be linked to Online Purchase. And thus you can link addresses together if they interact together. Then all of those will be linked to your Online identify. If that is linked in anyway to personal information, then A will be linked to your real life identity.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
MinerHQ
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:05:59 AM

The transactions are 100% traceable. It doesn't mean they're going to get your phone number.
It means every transactions sent from X to Y are traced. This create a trace-ability.

You need to either mix your BTC with a service or break the trace-ability from BTC in the end -> Fiat, purchase, etc.

Otherwise it doesn't matter how many transactions the funds go through, A->B->C->D->E->Online Purchase. A will be linked to Online Purchase. And thus you can link addresses together if they interact together. Then all of those will be linked to your Online identify. If that is linked in anyway to personal information, then A will be linked to your real life identity.

Thanks for the detailed information. But if A don't provide any of his personal information then if you trace the btc address also no use because one do not know who owns that btc right?
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:11:45 AM

Thanks for the detailed information. But if A don't provide any of his personal information then if you trace the btc address also no use because one do not know who owns that btc right?

Well exactly this! You can trace Bitcoin transaction even from A-Z but if A doesn't provide its personal info, it will be known only as 1gtaaa5.. and nothing else. I would call Bitcoin semi-tracable actually. You can trace pretty well transactions from the end to the beginning, but you can still hide your identity if you have never revealed it in the first place.

So in a sense, Bitcoin reveals more than lets say cash, but hides better than lets say online banking.
kpitti
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:22:34 AM

Yes, this is basicaly true if you not provide any personal information then there is no link in between your addresses and you personal identity. In number of exchanges you are requested to provide your identity. So this can be just an example where link can be found.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:27:17 AM

I guess that if they send it through a mixer before an exchange, there is no way to link it to the credit card anymore... Especially if they hid their IP.
MinerHQ
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 09:27:00 AM

Well exactly this! You can trace Bitcoin transaction even from A-Z but if A doesn't provide its personal info, it will be known only as 1gtaaa5.. and nothing else. I would call Bitcoin semi-tracable actually. You can trace pretty well transactions from the end to the beginning, but you can still hide your identity if you have never revealed it in the first place.

So in a sense, Bitcoin reveals more than lets say cash, but hides better than lets say online banking.

As long as you can't trace the owner of the bitcoin then we can say it is not traceable. It all depends on how people use it.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 10:13:07 AM

I guess that if they send it through a mixer before an exchange, there is no way to link it to the credit card anymore... Especially if they hid their IP.

It would work fairly well, yes.

People seem to get confused with my A to Z thing, it more or less matter, but its just to say if the A is dirty BTC, you need to break the chain before doing anything with it. Turning to fiat, purchasing, using, trading, etc. Otherwise you link the A to your identity. Its pretty hard to spend BTC anonymously.

More simply. It doesn't matter if A doesnt have your personal information. If Z does. A will be linked to you.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Kprawn
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 10:36:24 AM

I think this is one of the main reasons some people still prefer credit cards over Bitcoin. They are the type of people who are satisfied that a central organization have complete access to their financial privacy and

they are willing to pay huge fee's for the extra consumer protection built into these services to protect them. Bitcoin will not support this, but 3rd party services will offer this protection for a fee.

People need to understand that Bitcoin gives you the freedom to control your finances, and you do not have to rely on these central 3rd parties for protection. This come at a price, because you lose the consumer

protection. Bitcoin does make up for this, by introducing escrow services as a alternative service to these 3rd parties... but it's not the ideal solution, because it places the risk on a central 3rd party again.   Sad

THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED & PLAYER-OWNED CASINO
.EARNBET..EARN BITCOIN: DIVIDENDS
FOR-LIFETIME & MUCH MORE.
. BET WITH: BTCETHEOSLTCBCHWAXXRPBNB
.JOIN US: GITLABTWITTERTELEGRAM
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: