Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:14:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC MINING - Newest hardware and the future  (Read 6036 times)
hugs1BTC (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:02:32 PM

Hi, I'm a bit rusty about mining, I used to mine with GPU and I still do it with altcoins today, I just wanted to know "where are we now" in Bitcoin mining:

- what are the best ASIC machines out there? Details?
- is ASIC development still big like or it's stalling?
- when new ASIC will be released? Details?

I want to start a new project and I need as much informations as I can. Sorry but I haven't much time at the moment to search the forum and find all the answers, hope you understand. Any help is appreciated, just update me guys. Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Minerkev

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:04:31 PM

Save time for new topic browse the forum Wink
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1156770.0
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 06:42:50 PM

Depends what miner you want and what operation you are planning to run.
The S5 is relatively high-grade, 1000+ GH/s and produces a bit of heat, the S5+ is the shit, produces quite a bit of heat and does an insane amount of Gh/s per unit. I have an S5+ between me legs right now, it's my personal heater!

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 08:44:55 PM

IMO right now it's best to wait - we're just starting a "generation transition" and ALL of the older generation stuff is getting very iffy on RoI, especially with the Bitcoin Block Reward halving due probably next July (possibly late June if hashrates shoot up too much) unless you have very cheap electric or can get a used unit VERY inexpen$ively.

SFards (Gridseed merged with WiiBox to form this company) recently released their SF100 dual miner (SHA256 + Scrypt) unit, but it's WAY overpriced even from SFards directly, and the availability has been "very small number of one batch sold, a few distributers got a very few and jacked the price to insane levels". It's got better efficiency than anything that came before, but not good ENOUGH to have a reasonable chance at RoI.

Bitmain has announced their next-gen chip the BM1385, anticipation is that they'll have a S7 miner unit out "soon" (I'm guessing before end of September, but could be longer) in the 2.3TH/s at ballpark 550Watts concensus estimate of it's probably performance. Price is just as "up in the air" along with the release date, but educated guesses seem to be centering around the 3.5-4.5 BTC ballpark. Most folks feel that Bitmain already has the unit in production, and has been replacing their farm/Hashnest S5 units with new S7s.

Lketc has announced a 5 TH at either 1KW or 1.3KW (depending on which GH/watt spec you believe), no other solid information though the concensus is that it will probably be using the "we've taped out" Innosilicon A3 chips and likely available by December.

No announcement on it other than a comment that "chips have taped out" but it seems likely that Innosilicon will also release their own miners, A3-based for SHA256 and A4-based for Scrypt. They've been very light on info though, but that's nothing new for them before they actually have working chips/hardware in hand.

Spoondolies got bought out or merged into some other company, no clue if they're going to be selling to end-users any more.

KnC has pulled out of retail sales - not like their units were all that reliable anyway, no big loss there.

Bitfury seems to have pulled entirely out of retail, and are talking about some silly "mining lightbulb" concept.

Avalon - just released a mini miner based on their oldish "4" chip, but it's way overpriced and based on tech that's already a bit outdated. No clue if they're working on a next-gen chip at all, much less what and when.

Alcheminer (OEM for the MAT and at least one other company) had a 256MH/s rated "Alcheminer", but they've sold out on those and no clue if they plan to do any other cryptomining design. Unit was similar in efficiency to the Innosilicon A2 based units, but quite a bit smaller in size than the 90/110 "Terminator" units.

There WAS a group working on an X11 (+ X13 and X15 I think? can't remember on those two offhand) chip, but they had to halt development due to lack of fundage. They said they were going to look at other financing options, but no word on if they were successfull at that and it's been months.

I might be missing something, but IIRC pretty much everyone else that's done ASIC for cryptomining in the past is history.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Starin

Activity: 266

Infected Mushroom

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 09:07:22 PM

There WAS a group working on an X11 (+ X13 and X15 I think? can't remember on those two offhand) chip, but they had to halt development due to lack of fundage. They said they were going to look at other financing options, but no word on if they were successfull at that and it's been months.

Was exciting news.

They were CleverHash.

Forums: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=826541.0

hugs1BTC (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 04:03:08 PM

Thank you guys, considering what you said I think it's really best to wait for now.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 09:37:16 AM

Having just recrunched the numbers on the S7, I'm also in "wait" mode - I can't RoI the damned thing under any likely circumstances, even with 6.7 cent electric (and it was looking VERY iffy at 5 cent electric for those in low-cost electric areas and even IF they get theirs by the earliest ship date Bitmain has mentioned).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 06:46:46 PM

In my opinion there is bad news & bad news. The bad news is that things are not good at the moment for home miners. Bitmain is the only game in town and their latest releases, although good, are expensive and very unlikely to ROI with the way difficulty is increasing and with halving coming up fast. The other bad news is that the more time that passes the worse things are going to get.  Sad

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
hugs1BTC (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 04:18:50 PM

In my opinion there is bad news & bad news. The bad news is that things are not good at the moment for home miners. Bitmain is the only game in town and their latest releases, although good, are expensive and very unlikely to ROI with the way difficulty is increasing and with halving coming up fast. The other bad news is that the more time that passes the worse things are going to get.  Sad

Rich

I think home mining will be profitable again only if Bitcoin price will skyrocket, am I wrong? Smiley
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 12:16:33 AM

Rich

I think home mining will be profitable again only if Bitcoin price will skyrocket, am I wrong? Smiley

If you have very cheap electricity, home mining is fairly profitable. If you have high electricity cost (around 0.1/kWh). It's going to be hard, with the S7 being so expensive.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 04:34:26 AM

Rich

If you have very cheap electricity, home mining is fairly profitable. If you have high electricity cost (around 0.1/kWh). It's going to be hard, with the S7 being so expensive.

Right now it's all about that electricity price.  If you have a good price profit is still in sight.  Most places is a long ROI.

The game is changing from day's of quick ROI.   If BTC would skyrocket it would not hurt.  But would also raise miner prices with it likely.
densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 04:40:02 AM

I think more profitable trading than mining. I am sorry  if i am wrong  Grin
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 04:43:22 AM

It all depends there is no one size fit's all on most profitable.  To many variables to make one case best for all.

And there is lots of kinds of trading.  That is pretty vague.
Kagekatsu

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 02:08:52 PM

Your answer is generic. Low experienced traders tend to lose money instead of making them, moreover we have many types of trading, like many types of mining. Homemade rigs are long gone, it's almost impossible to make ROI with Bitcoin volatility and increasing difficulty.
My advice: if you are a "home miner", try something else. If you are determined to open a new farm, do your maths carefully, you could waste a lot of money.
torepia

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 03:10:29 PM

Your answer is generic. Low experienced traders tend to lose money instead of making them, moreover we have many types of trading, like many types of mining. Homemade rigs are long gone, it's almost impossible to make ROI with Bitcoin volatility and increasing difficulty.
My advice: if you are a "home miner", try something else. If you are determined to open a new farm, do your maths carefully, you could waste a lot of money.

I agree, but:

It's not all about the BTCBTCBTCTongue

If you can utilize the heat, home mining isn't that bad!
Beats a http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8123-lyf16L._SL1500_.jpg anyday!  Wink
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 03:55:10 PM

I agree, but:

It's not all about the BTCBTCBTCTongue

If you can utilize the heat, home mining isn't that bad!
Beats a http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8123-lyf16L._SL1500_.jpg anyday!  Wink

Part of it is about what you enjoy.  For example mining is a passion for me.  I truly enjoy it.  So I will keep on doing it.

I can see why not everyone does it.  But for many it works.
hugs1BTC (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 12:36:36 PM

Part of it is about what you enjoy.  For example mining is a passion for me.  I truly enjoy it.  So I will keep on doing it.

When it comes to passion you don't care how much you spend right? Cheesy
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 12:42:17 PM

When it comes to passion you don't care how much you spend right? Cheesy

Yes and no.  I care overall as I don't want to lose a fortune on it.   If you did it wrong you could lose a lot and it would not make much sense.   

But will I always be mining... most likely yes.   I see it as a fun hobby, hobby's cost money.  So if I made a mistake I can chalk it up to that and not feel so bad.   But I do try to always ROI.  That is part of the fun.
docker

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 07:39:33 PM

Home mining is dead. Deal with it!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 10:28:15 PM

Home mining is dead. Deal with it!

Maybe for you, but that's just not the truth. People that have cheap electricity are and will still do wonderfully with S5's. And probably the S7 when the price comes down to Earth.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌