Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:15:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are ASICs still worth investing in?  (Read 3041 times)
abtekk (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 08:35:54 AM

I've seen a few rather reasonably priced 675GH/s and above ASICs for bitcoin and wondering if it's still something worth investing in? I can't go for the high TH/s ASICs as I don't have that much money to put forward. I calculated my break even point would be about 9-11 months at CURRENT BTC prices.

Is this still something I can make a little profit from? Baring in mind I can set it up at work so I'm not paying for electricity.

I don't even have to invest in a BTC ASIC if you feel like a Scrypt ASIC would be more profitable. I'm open to all suggestions.
kae1078

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Kupla Kudos Coming Ur Way!

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 08:54:25 AM

I think investing is such a broad word, are you investing just because of curiosity, hobby or passive income?
Are ASICS still worth, yes I think they are still, specially the new Bitmains.
If you're planning to invest on a small hash rate as a hobby and just to satisfy your curiosity, then go for it but don't expect great rewards for it.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 08:57:16 AM

I think that not only ASIC-s but all the process of mining for the single person is not profitable. There are to many (continues) costs and for more is even the difficulty of mining which go high every two weeks.
abtekk (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 09:15:36 AM

I think investing is such a broad word, are you investing just because of curiosity, hobby or passive income?
If you're planning to invest on a small hash rate as a hobby and just to satisfy your curiosity, then go for it but don't expect great rewards for it.

I was wanting to get one or 2 just to run in the background while I get on with my day to day life, and just make a small monthly profit. But long term I need to know if I'll continue to make profit or if I'll be spending more on ASICs before I actually have a chance to break even.
kae1078

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 09:31:17 AM

I was wanting to get one or 2 just to run in the background while I get on with my day to day life, and just make a small monthly profit. But long term I need to know if I'll continue to make profit or if I'll be spending more on ASICs before I actually have a chance to break even.

With the BTC volatility right now, ugh ugh nope maybe break even would be 11 to 12 months.
I think BTC is good for the early starters, those who have establish them selves, big investors, all of them have ROI already, so adding up a new miner is no problem.

Invest only the amount which you are comfortable, don't spend money you can't afford to lost.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 10:15:19 AM

I've seen a few rather reasonably priced 675GH/s and above ASICs for bitcoin and wondering if it's still something worth investing in? I can't go for the high TH/s ASICs as I don't have that much money to put forward. I calculated my break even point would be about 9-11 months at CURRENT BTC prices.

Is this still something I can make a little profit from? Baring in mind I can set it up at work so I'm not paying for electricity.

I don't even have to invest in a BTC ASIC if you feel like a Scrypt ASIC would be more profitable. I'm open to all suggestions.

BTC
I would suggest the following TOY as the only legit ..low cost option out there...it does not mine very much but it is a cute little BTC Toy imho Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126705.0

what the heck as you can see from the lights and such it is a cute little beastie Smiley Soothing Smiley

The price is 25 bucks total plus 6 bucks shipping. I got two for 56 usd bucks with shipping...so you can't beat that!

anyway besides an over priced Bitmain 5+ which probably for the price you also won't ROI if you have to have a product for home miner addiction this is what I'd get

(me I need a cheap asic withdrawal device for when my home miners go to doorstop stage..the horror...also got a bitseed v2 node just to feel useful after this
whole asic miner at home stuff goes poof! (so sad so addicted)

my KNC Shrine to Titan Miners below Smiley Man I drank too much of the kool aid back in the day Smiley

http://lostgonzo.imgur.com/

Good Luck Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
kae1078

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 10:54:50 AM

BTC
I would suggest the following TOY as the only legit ..low cost option out there...it does not mine very much but it is a cute little BTC Toy imho Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126705.0

what the heck as you can see from the lights and such it is a cute little beastie Smiley Soothing Smiley

The price is 25 bucks total plus 6 bucks shipping. I got two for 56 usd bucks with shipping...so you can't beat that!

anyway besides an over priced Bitmain 5+ which probably for the price you also won't ROI if you have to have a product for home miner addiction this is what I'd get

(me I need a cheap asic withdrawal device for when my home miners go to doorstop stage..the horror...also got a bitseed v2 node just to feel useful after this
whole asic miner at home stuff goes poof! (so sad so addicted)

my KNC Shrine to Titan Miners below Smiley Man I drank too much of the kool aid back in the day Smiley

http://lostgonzo.imgur.com/

Good Luck Smiley

As a toy, this is a good candidate.
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

You can decide for yourself if it's a worthwhile investment, here is one of the better tools: https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

Just do some reading on predicted difficulty rating over the coming months, your own assumptions on the price of bitcoin, and your electricity rates.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 01:15:37 AM

Unless you have pretty cheap electric (I'd say under 8 cents a KWH, and might need to be closer to 6) don't get anything available now unless you can get it cheap. I'd wait ballpark a month for the release of the S7 and start buying those.

It's looking like the Sfards SF100 is going to be crazy high priced (they VASTLY overestimate the value of the dual mining on that unit IMO), and it doesn't look like Innosilicon / Lktec (probably using Innosilicon A3 chips) will have any miner units for sale before about December - at which point competition rears it's LOVELY (for us miners) head....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 01:42:36 AM

A lot is not known it is a risky investment.  This is the year before having so what happens at having?  We will see.

If coin values go up at having or around it those investing now will see an even bigger profit if they hold onto coins.  If it tanks we will see more loss's.  You would need to be able to see the future to really tell how investments will be in a year.
Finksy
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 02:59:28 AM

^All I can add to that is hindsight is always 20/20.  It's up to the individual to determine what level of risk and speculation they are comfortable with, the rest is a crap shoot.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:54:09 AM

^All I can add to that is hindsight is always 20/20.  It's up to the individual to determine what level of risk and speculation they are comfortable with, the rest is a crap shoot.

It is a high risk investment for sure.  Do no put what you cannot afford to lose in this game.  It can give high returns, and high losses.

I'm excited to see the future of it all.  But honestly when we get year, 5 year it's hard to tell.  Traditional investment we have in some company's many many years of history.  This entire section of digital money is really pretty new concept overall.
BlockC-Yan

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2015, 08:10:06 PM

If your break even is 10-11 months you should be looking at where you think the overall network will be in 10-11 months.  If you're barely making a profit right now and the network grows you'll never make your money back.  People always try to assume no network growth but that's simply not the case if you look at the history.

Regards,
Yan
IanQuinn

Activity: 64

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 01:24:59 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2015, 05:54:21 PM by IanQuinn

-- Removed --
Finksy
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 01:42:22 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2015, 02:05:14 PM by Finksy

^Buyer beware, if it seems too good to be true, it almost ALWAYS is.  Negative trust left until any tangible evidence can be supplied that it is not a ponzi.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 09:24:15 PM

I would recommend finding deals that you can break under 5 months including everything. You must include the PSU required if you do not have one, the shipping, the import fee, the time delays, the wiring and cooling. You must also include difficulty increase in that.

If its more than that, your electricity cost is probably too high and thus sound risky but not impossible. Got to keep in mind a block halving is happening next year as well.

If you give me/us more information on your situation, i/we may be able to better help you, OP.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 10:11:35 AM

Why not do cloud mining where you do not have to worry about equipment

Because most cloud mining "contracts" have been nothing but unprofitable ripoffs with zero percent chance at ROI much less a profit for the buyer, and the rest are mostly unprofitable at best?

Oh yeah, LOGIC, most "promoters" hate logic....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Mrx2002

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 04:01:33 PM

If your break even is 10-11 months you should be looking at where you think the overall network will be in 10-11 months.  If you're barely making a profit right now and the network grows you'll never make your money back.  People always try to assume no network growth but that's simply not the case if you look at the history.

Regards,
Yan

[Promoting]

Why not do cloud mining where you do not have to worry about equipment, and 100 GH/s for BTC0.16 (appox $37.00) for four years.

Please view our posting in Marketplace -> Securities

100 Gh for four years so i pay you $37 and get what $5 at the end of that 4 years yea right... Ill pass!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 06:15:14 PM

Why not do cloud mining where you do not have to worry about equipment

Because most cloud mining "contracts" have been nothing but unprofitable ripoffs with zero percent chance at ROI much less a profit for the buyer, and the rest are mostly unprofitable at best?

Oh yeah, LOGIC, most "promoters" hate logic....

Indeed, beside the fact that most people would advise against joining shifty random unknown company's cloud mining services, even the best one, though will not rip you off per see, will merely bring you to a break even point before giving you very little actual ROI on your investment after a long time.
And in the mining industry, if you haven't broke evened after 6 months, you're at high risk of losses or barely breaking even without having received any profit.

And then there's the BTC volatility issue that means the BTC profit you might get back can be worth more than it was at your investment point... or less.

I dare say, if your electricity cost is too expensive at home, then simply buy hardware and get it hosted someone it is cheap, because for certain cloud hosting services are there to make money off you, not make money for you.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
pjsonowal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 06:35:48 PM

see with the rising electricity prices i dont think investing in asic miner is worth now.....rising electricty prices is covering up the block reward now.. so its hard now.....however if block reward is increased then it may work...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: