Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:55:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative cryptocurrencies beating bitcoin  (Read 1972 times)
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 08:15:04 PM

Is there a chance that other currencies such as Dogecoin, Guncoin, Altocin and litecoin will be more popular and more valuable that Bitcoin?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 08:28:24 PM

No.
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 08:32:45 PM

How could that be possible?
As other cryptocurrencies could be used as they are cheeper, so if lots of people started buying them then the currency's value will go up!
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2015, 09:41:42 PM

Is there a chance that other currencies such as Dogecoin, Guncoin, Altocin and litecoin will be more popular and more valuable that Bitcoin?

IMO, yes I think so...

More and more of the newer and upcoming crypto's, like cryptonote, are becoming more known for having superior technology for better fungibility, anonymity, and continuing block sizes.  Then you have the fact that the economy is going down with China and will have the negative effect on bitcoin. As bitcoins prices go down then that would have to mean that everything will go down with it. I feel like at that point when all crypto's are relatively cheap, people will then start to question which coin would people in general want to go with. There will be a large support for bitcoin, because people are generally reluctant to change, but I believe that a larger majority will start to delve more and more into other online currency.

People tend to bring up the relationship with bitcoin and myspace... the more superior technology tends to rise when it is in demand. Faster, better layout, etc. (twitter, facebook, etc.)

Then again, I'm just a simple minded noob getting into the hang of things... just my opinion.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 11:08:21 PM

TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 11:22:41 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2015, 11:36:42 PM by TPTB_need_war

Can I change the question to say, "is it possible that a coin that solved Bitcoin's critical flaws could become more popular and valuable than Bitcoin?"?

If so, I say yes it is possible.

Those critical flaws:

• Double spending on every network fragment.
  • 0-confirmation transactions require network centralization to be reliable.
  • Scaling transaction volume requires network centralization to handle bandwidth (hello Bitcoin XT a.k.a. GavinCoin a.k.a. GovCoin).
  • No on chain, end-to-end principle anonymity.
  • Not censorship resistant long-term. Permission-less commerce not insured long-term.
  • 51% attack could change the protocol in the future, by then the masses don't care. They didn't care that the dollar is debased.

Bitcoin is a highly flawed 1.0 version of crypto. Version 2.0 will definitely challenge it. Stay tuned.

I believe a contender would need to fix ALL of the above and more. Not just fix one or two of the issues.

Notice the coins you mentioned don't address those issues.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 03:16:01 AM

i think its almost the only outcome, that a p2p currency exceeds bitcoin in usefulness and popularity at sometime in the not too distant future, however i don't think that future p2p currency exists yet.

devs (as they mostly pretend to call themselves) from this community are too obsessed with 'innovation' but here that means complications. the real innovation needed is simplification.

i've found though the nerdy IT crowd here is in general far removed from understanding the most basic market dynamics, currency or even basic math.

not to mention way too linear in understanding potential security flaws.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 04:47:19 AM

i've found though the nerdy IT crowd here is in general far removed from understanding the most basic market dynamics, currency or even basic math.

Please enlighten us.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 05:18:26 AM

Please enlighten us.

where would i begin ?
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 05:35:12 AM

Please enlighten us.

where would i begin ?

Step 1

The Begining

Point A

Anywhere

SBOSS

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

Start your Own Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 08:59:29 AM

Yes an alternative will beat Bitcoin but it will not be one of those coins nor any on this forum or on the exchanges.  The simple truth is all the analytical research suggests Bitcoin is used by almost nobody and the user base is not growing exponentially.   Your alternates are doing far worse.

The blockchain is a novel idea and seems to work well for handling decentralized currency.  Yet the blockchain alone isn't enough to undue all the public image problems associated with Bitcoin and the anarcho-libertarians who are most vocal about it.

[ COINSCLONE  ✔  No programming skills needed    ✔  Liquidity ready   ✔  Earn via Commission
█████████████  CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE SOFTWARE   |    (❪  FREE TRIAL  ❫)
Launch  a  website  like  Binance  or  Coinbase      █     ⚫    telegram    ⚫    whatsapp
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 09:26:12 AM

Will happen

reRaise

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 09:33:06 AM

Only way is if the coin has a more users than Bitcoin.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 09:39:23 AM

Please enlighten us.

where would i begin ?

Step 1

The Begining

Point A

Anywhere

ok begin with market dynamics

the 'price' v USD of bitcoin,

nothing more then the greater fool theory;  in this case the price of bitcoin is determined not by its intrinsic value, but rather by irrational beliefs and expectations of market participants. A price can be justified by a rational buyer under the belief that another party is willing to pay an even higher price.Or one may rationally have the expectation that the item can be resold to a "greater fool" later.

anyone brave or stupid enough to tell me that 99.9% of bitcoin holders on this forum, aren't holding simply to sell for a higher price to a greater fool later on?

(well tbh this isn't the only mechanism that got us to this point, there was off course manipulative bot trading).
rnicoll

Activity: 199
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 09:40:23 AM

Only if there's a major problem in Bitcoin, such as a major design decision turning into some sort of bizarre holy war and heading straight past any reasonable point for the decision to have been made. It will require a huge amount of development effort moving, though, it's difficult to explain to a non-technical user just how much effort is being poured into the Bitcoin Core code, making constant improvements in performance, security, stability, scalability etc.

Dogecoin Core developer, ex-researcher, trader.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
Derek492

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 03:18:24 PM

There is always a chance.

Stop Mining.   Start Minting.   Mintcoin  [MINT]
5% annual minting reward. Mintcoins don't wear out like mining gear. They keep on minting!
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 08:50:26 PM

Short answer: no. Non of your named coins will beat Bitcoin. i am sure, when crypto currencies will enter mainstream one day, then there will be a more valuable coin in the future, but no one of the existing ones.
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 05:46:12 AM

no

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
Boxyapple

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:46:57 PM

It can beat btc but it has like a 0.000000000001% of doing so lol
frenulum

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 08:46:01 PM

I can see it.

Some big player like eBay or Amazon, introduce a crypto or adopt another such as Ripple/Litecoin (after buying a shitload for themselves first perhaps)

Maybe.. I dunno, but I think now in 2015, one of these big websites could have the potential to make or break Bitcoin overnight.

Jan 2018 recommendations: HST, ETN, HTML, EOS
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: