Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:21:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY S1 to S3 adapter-board  (Read 5620 times)
pinhead666 (OP)

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 11:18:35 PM

As many of you know I managed to make a working adapter-board to convert S1 controller work with S3 blades.I have now drawn PCB for it and actually ordered a little batch of these boards made by factory.Many of you can make your own adapter with information given in this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671128.800.
Anyway I wonder if there is anyone interested in ready made boards?And if so, do you want just plain PCB or whole board fully populated and with connectors? I'm asking this because I'll order connectors and regulators more if needed.
Pictures here are of my home-made PCB but factory-made will be double sided.So there are no jumper wires.But lay-out of the board is pretty much the same as in pics here.
Adapter board:

I'll have PCB's after 2-3 weeks and so there is still time to think this.Connectors come from Germany in a couple of days if needed.Here is schematic for those who haven't seen it (I think that I removed link to the original picture because I thought that there was an error -there wasn't).

I have made several prototypes and they work pretty well.I've kept that blade hashing for three days with no problems.

I'd be glad to hear opinions about this project.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 11:41:35 PM

Very nice job!  I love seeing the development from miners for miners. 

I wish you the best of luck with this if you decide to get some made.  Either way thanks for sharing.
dimke_yu

Activity: 461

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 03:17:47 PM

Nice work! I would be interested in one adapter board, I have S1 control pcb at hand and cables.

pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 03:39:00 PM

Depending on your price point, I'd be interested in a few of these (populated or otherwise). Any guide on that?
Also, would be a good idea (if at all technically feasible) to be able to handle more than two boards .... 6 even 10 would not hurt.

Where did you get the PCB's done? OSH Park are dirt cheap (and I'd use them for shipping boards) but DirtyPCB's could beat them on both price and turnaround time (and I'd use them for protos)!

toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 03:56:10 PM

As many of you know I managed to make a working adapter-board to convert S1 controller work with S3 blades.I have now drawn PCB for it and actually ordered a little batch of these boards made by factory.Many of you can make your own adapter with information given in this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671128.800.
Anyway I wonder if there is anyone interested in ready made boards?And if so, do you want just plain PCB or whole board fully populated and with connectors? I'm asking this because I'll order connectors and regulators more if needed.
Pictures here are of my home-made PCB but factory-made will be double sided.So there are no jumper wires.But lay-out of the board is pretty much the same as in pics here.
Adapter board:

I'll have PCB's after 2-3 weeks and so there is still time to think this.Connectors come from Germany in a couple of days if needed.Here is schematic for those who haven't seen it (I think that I removed link to the original picture because I thought that there was an error -there wasn't).

I have made several prototypes and they work pretty well.I've kept that blade hashing for three days with no problems.

I'd be glad to hear opinions about this project.

depending on price 1 fully populated and with connectors .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
MCHouston

Activity: 882

Where am I?

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 05:47:02 PM

Very nice work, I am glad to see an alternative to buying refurbed S3 controllers.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
pinhead666 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 07:01:08 PM

Depending on your price point, I'd be interested in a few of these (populated or otherwise). Any guide on that?
Also, would be a good idea (if at all technically feasible) to be able to handle more than two boards .... 6 even 10 would not hurt.

Where did you get the PCB's done? OSH Park are dirt cheap (and I'd use them for shipping boards) but DirtyPCB's could beat them on both price and turnaround time (and I'd use them for protos)!

About pricing: All depends on quantities and shipping.Connectors are biggest cost (5.12€ +shipping/board) if I buy them,let's say,10-30 boards.I can buy quantity of 200 connector (100 boards) and price would be about 1€/board. But I doubt that I would never sell more than 10 to 20 boards.And shipping from Finland is expensive.I think it will be just under 5€ economy shipped.Then add another 5€ for the rest of the parts including heat sink.Then it's close 15€ for one board and that doesn't even include my expences (shipping costs,PCBs).So I think I'll ask 20€ per board fully populated and tested.It won't give me profit but I should't lose either (except my time).

About controlling more than two boards: Yes that is my goal.As a matter of fact,I have one that controls four blades.But it's more complex since level-shifting is done with IC.It is also possible to do with additional components (and cheaper) but then drawing PCB would be much more difficult for me.I spent 3 nights drawing this! And there are only few components and connectors.If some-one with better capabilities could help with drawing PCB,I'd be happy to give schematics. Everything could be done better (adding step-down for 12V to 3V3 etc.) but this is designed to be easy to construct by any-one and cheap as possible.I'm planning to lift that PIC up from S1 ctrl-board to drive 4 boards.Kind of C1 controller.That's why I'm eager to buy C1 controller (to tweak it). Even broken one would help.But it's just for fun,it's not exactly DIY-project for every-one.Soldering and desoldering those PICs isn't done so easy.

I finally received more blades and my first original cables for S3.Here's couple of pics.As you can see, I have to bend the other cable. That's because I didn't have original cables and designing board without actual components is very challenging (for me atleast). And hashing here with PS3 wifi-antenna!

pekatete

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 08:30:36 PM

About controlling more than two boards: Yes that is my goal.As a matter of fact,I have one that controls four blades. But it's more complex since level-shifting is done with IC. It is also possible to do with additional components (and cheaper) but then drawing PCB would be much more difficult for me.I spent 3 nights drawing this! And there are only few components and connectors.If some-one with better capabilities could help with drawing PCB,I'd be happy to give schematics.

I suppose it'd have to be one step at a time then .... when you get these off the PCB press then that would be a good time to go bigger (and count me in those interested ..). With regard to drawing / preparing the schematics, I am not expert either (electronics et al!) but using Eagle I've done a few in my time for personal use, as I am sure most people have.

Saying that, your price point, if you can pull it off for the dual blade controller, is a good one.

pinhead666 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 10:53:25 PM

About controlling more than two boards: Yes that is my goal.As a matter of fact,I have one that controls four blades. But it's more complex since level-shifting is done with IC. It is also possible to do with additional components (and cheaper) but then drawing PCB would be much more difficult for me.I spent 3 nights drawing this! And there are only few components and connectors.If some-one with better capabilities could help with drawing PCB,I'd be happy to give schematics.

I suppose it'd have to be one step at a time then .... when you get these off the PCB press then that would be a good time to go bigger (and count me in those interested ..). With regard to drawing / preparing the schematics, I am not expert either (electronics et al!) but using Eagle I've done a few in my time for personal use, as I am sure most people have.

Saying that, your price point, if you can pull it off for the dual blade controller, is a good one.

Well that price is for adapter-board driving one controller and two blades,if that's what you mean.Adapter that can handle two S1 ctrl-boards and four blades total,would need special cables.It's no problem if you can source cheap wires with right crimps (they cost 0.61€ each where I buy connectors from so wires for one miner would total 24.40€ without connector housings).Crimping 80 crimps for one miner is a job that I don't wanna do.I can if I have to,but it's one whole day job.I use wires pulled out of LG tv-sets.Different connectors but same crimps.I also bought some 20 pin connector housings.So these special adapters are maybe better to be just homemade stuff.
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 11:50:17 PM

nice price I'll pay 30 to 35  US a board  i expected it to be more . but then again bitmain wants all most 80 or more  + shipping for a S3 controller so this will be well worth it .

but your price 22.36 US about is really good , I'm willing to go up to 35 US shipping would be another 10 to 15 US  ? .

bmoscato

Activity: 361
Merit: 267

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 01:42:13 AM

I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question... Are there resources to purchase just the S3 blades? I picked up 4 of the original upgrade kits, but I still have a few S1's that could benefit from updating. I see more S1 blades for sale or S3's with 1 bad blade.
pinhead666 (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 02:08:51 AM

nice price I'll pay 30 to 35  US a board  i expected it to be more . but then again bitmain wants all most 80 or more  + shipping for a S3 controller so this will be well worth it .

but your price 22.36 US about is really good , I'm willing to go up to 35 US shipping would be another 10 to 15 US  ? .

I'm little confused here.My english isn't so good.So,I'm selling only adapter without S1-controller.This is clear for every-one?That 35$ shipped worldwide sounds reasonable for me.I think it will cover my expences.I won't get rich but that wasn't my goal anyway.

I can't sleep (once again) and I started examining PIC32MX250F128D datasheet.I'll try to find a way to connect more than 2 blades to it.It is possible,I know,but does any firmware recognize more than two boards? C1 uses beagle-bone, I think.
pinhead666 (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 02:21:26 AM

I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question... Are there resources to purchase just the S3 blades? I picked up 4 of the original upgrade kits, but I still have a few S1's that could benefit from updating. I see more S1 blades for sale or S3's with 1 bad blade.

Market-place here or ebay.I don't know any other good chances.C1 boards are basically the same but cables are different since connectors are kind of mirrored.I have now a few C1 blades and I will make some cables for them after I get some sleep.
lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:19:03 AM

I am ignorant here or what? I dont understand the need for this??

Am i to take this is really a custom controller for the S3 (Made from the idea of a S1 controller)

If so is the only benefit here is for S3 owners who have had the controller die & need a replacement? 

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:34:11 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2015, 03:51:20 AM by toptek

A while back on ebay some one was selling a few S3 boards i was able to pick up two, i had a S1 laying around but no way to use those boards power wise, i was going to buy two more boards before they sold out and maybe another S1, didn't buy them fast enough.  so all i need is a way to run those two boards, why i need it:) .Ive have been tiring to buy either a power converter card s1 to S3 at a reasonable price which this will do  or a S 3 controller at a reason able price, I'll make my own cables, if i have to.  it won't be hard.

but yea from time i come across parts i can use but need other parts  to run them that still have a lot of us left in them .

I watch ebay a lot and waiting for some one to post S5 and more S3 boards, i need two just had a S5  go up with 16 pin boards .i can sell off that broke S5 if want to and get 112 to 200 depends, what i want to hold out for . just sold one that needed two 18 pin boards for 112, if I held out and  re posted it, could have got more .

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:02:53 AM

Am i to take this is really a custom controller for the S3 (Made from the idea of a S1 controller)

If so is the only benefit here is for S3 owners who have had the controller die & need a replacement?  

it does what the up grade did Smiley .the S1 to S3 upgrade came with that board + the cables needed .the two  heat sinks on each side are not really needed on the S3 . I'm running a S3 i upgraded I had enough parts for , running without the two heat sinks just the big ones you screw them on, it runs may be 1 to 2 degree hotter then the real S3 i have in a case . I'm thinking only reason it does is because it's not a case.  

he made  a working adapter-board to convert S1 controller work with S3 blades

and pretty much all you need is a controller and the hash boards and some way of cooling it . you got a cheap miner with some good use left still. depends what boards OFC .

pinhead666 (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 08:41:45 AM

My idea is to spend my spare-time doing something funny and make something useful out of those old S1's I have lying around.I have tried to buy S3 upgrade kits and even S3 controller from Bitmain. They have politely told me that they don't have spare-parts for S3 anymore (bs,they sell for others those controllers).I got pissed and decided to make my own upgrade kit.So I buy blades here or where-ever I get them from. Shipping costs for blades without heat-sinks is not so bad.I'm not over-clocking these blades,I have now two blades running with S1 heat-sinks connected with 5 screws,and only one fan! Temps are 45/46 and fan 2520.I don't need those extra heat sinks at all. And it's also possible to use C1 blades which I see been sold for parts from time to time.
Yes I have an idea to make my own controller to control more than 2 blades but that's a different story.I come up with that when I have something to show.
dimke_yu

Activity: 461

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 03:47:55 PM

About pricing: All depends on quantities and shipping.Connectors are biggest cost (5.12€ +shipping/board) if I buy them,let's say,10-30 boards.I can buy quantity of 200 connector (100 boards) and price would be about 1€/board. But I doubt that I would never sell more than 10 to 20 boards.And shipping from Finland is expensive.I think it will be just under 5€ economy shipped.Then add another 5€ for the rest of the parts including heat sink.Then it's close 15€ for one board and that doesn't even include my expences (shipping costs,PCBs).So I think I'll ask 20€ per board fully populated and tested.It won't give me profit but I should't lose either (except my time).

About controlling more than two boards: Yes that is my goal.As a matter of fact,I have one that controls four blades.But it's more complex since level-shifting is done with IC.It is also possible to do with additional components (and cheaper) but then drawing PCB would be much more difficult for me.I spent 3 nights drawing this! And there are only few components and connectors.If some-one with better capabilities could help with drawing PCB,I'd be happy to give schematics. Everything could be done better (adding step-down for 12V to 3V3 etc.) but this is designed to be easy to construct by any-one and cheap as possible.I'm planning to lift that PIC up from S1 ctrl-board to drive 4 boards.Kind of C1 controller.That's why I'm eager to buy C1 controller (to tweak it). Even broken one would help.But it's just for fun,it's not exactly DIY-project for every-one.Soldering and desoldering those PICs isn't done so easy.

I finally received more blades and my first original cables for S3.Here's couple of pics.As you can see, I have to bend the other cable. That's because I didn't have original cables and designing board without actual components is very challenging (for me atleast). And hashing here with PS3 wifi-antenna!

That is more than reasonable price! Everything between $20-$40 is ok, also you should cover your time at least with 5% of price. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 10:10:07 AM

Thanks for clearing things up guys...

I think my head was on another planet the day i commented on this....

I really had no idea!

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
pinhead666 (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 03:17:00 AM

If you make own adapter on a vero-board or similar,make sure that all connections are well made.If rx-line is not connected or faulty,controller will keep on sending work to hashing-board board and after a few minutes chips will over-heat and fry one-by one.And it's no fun to replace those chips (boards conduct heat pretty well).So if boards are not recognised in a  couple of minutes but chips get hot,cut off power instantly or blade will be lost.
PCBs I ordered have finally been shipped.Now I just have to wait them arrive.
I also made on adapter for 4 boards but firmware doesn't recognize more than two boards.At least any firmware that I know.Pic itself has io for  4 uarts.Ofcourse it can be done using just cgminer and cp2102s but there's no control for fans or temp control.
Maybe I start new project tweaking those altera based controllers.Those controllers look like also much better designed.And if they use same design in S7 it'll more useful project.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: