Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:24:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts from Russia on the block size situation and Blockstream  (Read 7338 times)
Har01d (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 02:58:40 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2016, 07:06:17 AM by Har01d

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:16:55 AM

The big question is, how big payment processors and market makers will react. They have a lot of weight and they already have made a firm stance on BIP101 for the obvious reason that it gives them predictable room for growth.

Bitcoin won't be ruined. They is an incentive to prevent that.

Har01d (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:31:28 AM

knight22, I can't agree more about market makers, but I have many doubts that miners will listen to them.

BIP100 gives miners total control of the transaction rate in the blockchain, whilst BIP101, as you say, "gives everyone predictable room for growth".
The mathematical problem for the miners is to calculate what's more profitable for them in the long run. Since it's almost unreal to solve this problem, because no one can look 10 years ahead, we have devolved to political issues.

aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:38:44 AM

blockstream train:

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:49:03 AM

knight22, I can't agree more about market makers, but I have many doubts that miners will listen to them.

BIP100 gives miners total control of the transaction rate in the blockchain, whilst BIP101, as you say, "gives everyone predictable room for growth".
The mathematical problem for the miners is to calculate what's more profitable for them in the long run. Since it's almost unreal to solve this problem, because no one can look 10 years ahead, we have devolved to political issues.

Miners will have to listen to them one way or the other because it is these businesses that create the most value to the coins. Without them, bitcoin would not be where it is now in term of value and usefulness. There is no good incentives for miners to mine coins that an industry doesn't want or can't even use properly.

Har01d (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:56:50 AM

Well, as I expected, this post has been deleted from /r/Bitcoin.
More than that, I have seen a link post from another redditor who had linked here, but it also has been deleted.
This is kind of interesting how even a little piece of $21M cake turns so-called crypto-anarchists into watchdogs.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 05:11:58 AM

More than that, I have seen a link post from another redditor who had linked here, but it also has been deleted.
This is kind of interesting how even a little piece of $21M cake turns so-called crypto-anarchists into watchdogs.

it really is amazing what money can do.  I think those guys got into blockstream with the best of intentions but then became trapped by their assumptions and pressure to make good with their investors.  I'm sure I don't know the half of what's going on but something ain't right with the whole stonewalling thing. doesn't look like the community will allow their small block vision though.

aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 06:10:06 AM

it really is amazing what money can do.  I think those guys got into blockstream with the best of intentions but then became trapped by their assumptions and pressure to make good with their investors.  I'm sure I don't know the half of what's going on but something ain't right with the whole stonewalling thing. doesn't look like the community will allow their small block vision though.

some people call it corruption ..
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 12:48:21 PM

it really is amazing what money can do.  I think those guys got into blockstream with the best of intentions but then became trapped by their assumptions and pressure to make good with their investors.  I'm sure I don't know the half of what's going on but something ain't right with the whole stonewalling thing. doesn't look like the community will allow their small block vision though.

some people call it corruption ..

Corruption is shocking by its very nature as it can involve people that were once very
honest taking a different course.  It is hard for us to imagine that some of the guys
who worked so hard to make Bitcoin what it is today, to do anything that isn't the absolute
best interest of Bitcoin.  

I don't think the Blockstream guys have sunk into overt dishonesty, but I can imagine
them now thinking along the lines of: "How can we do good for Bitcoin while also
doing good for our company.". I would be thinking the same way.  That's the nature of
a conflict of interest.

sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 01:39:08 PM

Now it’s not surprising that investors must be puzzled about what’s going on now with all this FUD, because they weren’t told that there were other solutions. And that’s exactly why there is so many censorship on the main Bitcoin boards nowadays: if the investors realize that people don’t want to use sidechains, they will not invest more money. Since the Blockstream team consists of the Core’s developers… It’s that simple.

I'm sure the presentations deliberately played down the key risks to the blockstream strategy. Its up to due diligence on the part of investors to confirm these. This debate serves to highlight them. A controversy like this can leave even the most carefully crafted value proposition in tatters.

The attempts to subdue the debate with threats (NotXT - nice one, Adam Back), blatant censorship and plain misinformation will further damage Blockstreams standing and ability to secure funding.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:25:31 PM

I rarely post anything on the forums because I don’t speak English as fluently as I want, but this situation is an extraordinary case, so I think I can’t resist the temptation to write about it in my broken English Smiley

What happened with all this Blockstream, BIPs & XT mess is just a solid presentation of Bitcoin’s weakest sides and flaws.

Here are three main problems that I see:

1. Blockstream is a cancer for Bitcoin

Personally, I can’t (or I don’t want to) believe that just $21M, which Blockstream has got from a bunch of investors, will actually ruin Bitcoin as we know it now. The problem is that many people just don’t understand the simplest thing: if someone has invested the money in something, they want to get it back in the future. So one way or another, Blockstream is a commercial company, which wants to benefit from the Lightning Network (or the sidechains).

It is absolutely obvious that the smaller the block size is, the more money Blockstream will make. Let’s theorize for a moment, that BIP100 has been implemented and miners have voted for 1 KB blocks, so 1 block = 1 transaction. That would be the perfect situation for Blockstream, because as they can take fees in the LN, they would be the only entity who is economically motivated to pay a very big fee for creating a clearing transaction in the blockchain. So the entire blockchain from this moment would consist of single clearing transactions.

Now let’s get back to the ground and suppose that we will have 1 MB or 2 MB, or even 10 MB blocks implemented by BIP100, but this size will not rise in the future. Well, now it all depends on how big will Bitcoin grow. If in 2020 we will have 1.000.000 transactions each 10 minutes and the same 1 MB blocks, the calculation is simple and not really different from 1 KB blocks. Let’s suppose that Blockstream will get $0.05 for each transaction on the LN as a fee, so for a million LN-transactions the total fee would be $50.000. Now, if Blockstream will use the blockchain for the clearing transactions, they could use the entire 1 MB (~1.500 transactions) for this purpose. $50.000 / 1.500 transactions = $33 per transaction. So no one will have an incentive to push a transaction for $33 in the blockchain while there will be an option to use a sidechain for $0.05. I understand that these calculations are awfully approximate, but this is the economic model of Blockstream. And this is the end of Bitcoin’s “be your own bank” as we know it know, because Blockstream is a centralized thing, you know: “Sorry, you are banned from the Lightning Network because you haven’t verified your ID”.

And I have another thought about Blockstream I can’t stop think about. How in the world do you think they have convinced the investors (who merely understand technical details of Bitcoin protocol) that sidechains is what is needed for Bitcoin? Right, they said exactly the following: “Bitcoin has a flow: the block size is limited and can’t be increased, because it’s hardcoded. We solve this problem!”. Now it’s not surprising that investors must be puzzled about what’s going on now with all this FUD, because they weren’t told that there were other solutions. And that’s exactly why there is so many censorship on the main Bitcoin boards nowadays: if the investors realize that people don’t want to use sidechains, they will not invest more money. Since the Blockstream team consists of the Core’s developers… It’s that simple.

2. It is not that obvious who decides the future for Bitcoin. Despite the fact that in theory it is the “economic majority” who should decide the future for Bitcoin, miners still can destroy it in the process

Many people theorize that the majority of miners will not do anything stupid (like accepting 1 KB block size limit or raising the 21M bitcoins limit) because “the price will momentarily go down to zero and the miners will lose their money”. Yes, they will. And you will too. Or may be they do something stupid and the price will just slightly go down. The global problem is if for any reason in the world the majority would want to “commit a suicide”, they actually could do it. For example, they could be confused by the greedy guys like Blockstream… Anything. And there is literally nothing anyone could do to stop them.

3. The censorship on top of the fact that many people don’t understand how Bitcoin (and the Bitcoin consensus in particular) works

Well, I was very confused when I got to know that Theymos was banning all the “irrelevant” discussions. I don’t know whether he is paid by Blockstream or he isn’t, but that’s not the problem. The problem is that here in the Russian section there are almost no discussions about the Blockstream problem at all! Everybody just thinks that “Bitcoin XT will ruin Bitcoin, because it is a fork, so the best option is to sit still and have 1 MB blocks”. That’s all. And that’s because all articles here in the Russian section are translated from the western media. So the people who doesn’t speak English just can’t dig into the problem.

And, in my opinion, the problem is not with the Russian section. I believe that there can be a similar problem in the Chinese one. And this problem is a real one, because all top miners are from China.

I don’t know what can I do about it

Well, I believe if XT won’t succeed and Blockstream’s solution will get accepted, I will have only one option: to sell my coins, as it is the only way I can “vote”. That’s sad, but I don’t believe that sidechains are the true Bitcoin.

And as the conclusion, I’d like to say that it’s all about corruption. Well, here we have corrupted Core developers, who develop a commercial project on top of Bitcoin. Bitcoin was invented as a replacement for traditional money to “fix” some economical problems. If you look at the big picture, it would be interesting to think, that at some point in time, fiat money (which were backed by gold) were invented to “fix” some problems too. And in time, some people corrupted the idea of fiat money with the current banking system. My point is that if Bitcoin can be broken by corrupted people, it will inevitably be broken. And my biggest fear it has already happened.

Hi Harold, greetings from Canada!

Let me clear up a little bit of your misconceptions since its evident truth hasn't made its way to your homeland yet!

About Blockstream:

1. They are currently participating on a voluntary basis to the development of the Lightning network. The lightning network being an open source development they have no proprietary advantage over its monetization. In fact, you should know the theory behind this protocol was NOT invented by Blockstream whose incorporation and 21 million $ funding round predates the announcement of the Lightning network by a full year. It was only recently following the hiring of developer Rusty Russel that Blockstream began their involvement with lightning development seeing as Rusty had shown previous interest in payment networks (he was working on a micro-transaction network before being hired). Out of a team of probably a dozen developers Rusty is the only one involved with Lightning work at Blockstream. You can find here the lightning development mailing list where you should realise a couple of different developers outside of Blockstream are collaborating to the development progress of this network : http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/lightning-dev/. All this to say that Blockstream's economic model is evidently not based on the Lightning network and this development will not centralize the utility model of Bitcoin to their advantage.

2. On sidechains, you will find that they were scarcely advertised as a scaling solution for very good reason: they don't scale particularly well in their existing form. In fact, a little research should reveal to you that transactions between sidechains and the mainchains compete with regular transactions for space in blocks. It follows then that bigger blocks are advantageous to the development of sidechains and their scale. You should understand this particular bit of information defeats your argument.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:34:45 PM

I rarely post anything on the forums because I don’t speak English as fluently as I want, but this situation is an extraordinary case, so I think I can’t resist the temptation to write about it in my broken English Smiley

What happened with all this Blockstream, BIPs & XT mess is just a solid presentation of Bitcoin’s weakest sides and flaws.

Here are three main problems that I see:

1. Blockstream is a cancer for Bitcoin

Personally, I can’t (or I don’t want to) believe that just $21M, which Blockstream has got from a bunch of investors, will actually ruin Bitcoin as we know it now. The problem is that many people just don’t understand the simplest thing: if someone has invested the money in something, they want to get it back in the future. So one way or another, Blockstream is a commercial company, which wants to benefit from the Lightning Network (or the sidechains).

It is absolutely obvious that the smaller the block size is, the more money Blockstream will make. Let’s theorize for a moment, that BIP100 has been implemented and miners have voted for 1 KB blocks, so 1 block = 1 transaction. That would be the perfect situation for Blockstream, because as they can take fees in the LN, they would be the only entity who is economically motivated to pay a very big fee for creating a clearing transaction in the blockchain. So the entire blockchain from this moment would consist of single clearing transactions.

Now let’s get back to the ground and suppose that we will have 1 MB or 2 MB, or even 10 MB blocks implemented by BIP100, but this size will not rise in the future. Well, now it all depends on how big will Bitcoin grow. If in 2020 we will have 1.000.000 transactions each 10 minutes and the same 1 MB blocks, the calculation is simple and not really different from 1 KB blocks. Let’s suppose that Blockstream will get $0.05 for each transaction on the LN as a fee, so for a million LN-transactions the total fee would be $50.000. Now, if Blockstream will use the blockchain for the clearing transactions, they could use the entire 1 MB (~1.500 transactions) for this purpose. $50.000 / 1.500 transactions = $33 per transaction. So no one will have an incentive to push a transaction for $33 in the blockchain while there will be an option to use a sidechain for $0.05. I understand that these calculations are awfully approximate, but this is the economic model of Blockstream. And this is the end of Bitcoin’s “be your own bank” as we know it know, because Blockstream is a centralized thing, you know: “Sorry, you are banned from the Lightning Network because you haven’t verified your ID”.

And I have another thought about Blockstream I can’t stop think about. How in the world do you think they have convinced the investors (who merely understand technical details of Bitcoin protocol) that sidechains is what is needed for Bitcoin? Right, they said exactly the following: “Bitcoin has a flow: the block size is limited and can’t be increased, because it’s hardcoded. We solve this problem!”. Now it’s not surprising that investors must be puzzled about what’s going on now with all this FUD, because they weren’t told that there were other solutions. And that’s exactly why there is so many censorship on the main Bitcoin boards nowadays: if the investors realize that people don’t want to use sidechains, they will not invest more money. Since the Blockstream team consists of the Core’s developers… It’s that simple.

2. It is not that obvious who decides the future for Bitcoin. Despite the fact that in theory it is the “economic majority” who should decide the future for Bitcoin, miners still can destroy it in the process

Many people theorize that the majority of miners will not do anything stupid (like accepting 1 KB block size limit or raising the 21M bitcoins limit) because “the price will momentarily go down to zero and the miners will lose their money”. Yes, they will. And you will too. Or may be they do something stupid and the price will just slightly go down. The global problem is if for any reason in the world the majority would want to “commit a suicide”, they actually could do it. For example, they could be confused by the greedy guys like Blockstream… Anything. And there is literally nothing anyone could do to stop them.

3. The censorship on top of the fact that many people don’t understand how Bitcoin (and the Bitcoin consensus in particular) works

Well, I was very confused when I got to know that Theymos was banning all the “irrelevant” discussions. I don’t know whether he is paid by Blockstream or he isn’t, but that’s not the problem. The problem is that here in the Russian section there are almost no discussions about the Blockstream problem at all! Everybody just thinks that “Bitcoin XT will ruin Bitcoin, because it is a fork, so the best option is to sit still and have 1 MB blocks”. That’s all. And that’s because all articles here in the Russian section are translated from the western media. So the people who doesn’t speak English just can’t dig into the problem.

And, in my opinion, the problem is not with the Russian section. I believe that there can be a similar problem in the Chinese one. And this problem is a real one, because all top miners are from China.

I don’t know what can I do about it

Well, I believe if XT won’t succeed and Blockstream’s solution will get accepted, I will have only one option: to sell my coins, as it is the only way I can “vote”. That’s sad, but I don’t believe that sidechains are the true Bitcoin.

And as the conclusion, I’d like to say that it’s all about corruption. Well, here we have corrupted Core developers, who develop a commercial project on top of Bitcoin. Bitcoin was invented as a replacement for traditional money to “fix” some economical problems. If you look at the big picture, it would be interesting to think, that at some point in time, fiat money (which were backed by gold) were invented to “fix” some problems too. And in time, some people corrupted the idea of fiat money with the current banking system. My point is that if Bitcoin can be broken by corrupted people, it will inevitably be broken. And my biggest fear it has already happened.

Hi Harold, greetings from Canada!

Let me clear up a little bit of your misconceptions since its evident truth hasn't made its way to your homeland yet!

About Blockstream:

1. They are currently participating on a voluntary basis to the development of the Lightning network. The lightning network being an open source development they have no proprietary advantage over its monetization. In fact, you should know the theory behind this protocol was NOT invented by Blockstream whose incorporation and 21 million $ funding round predates the announcement of the Lightning network by a full year. It was only recently following the hiring of developer Rusty Russel that Blockstream began their involvement with lightning development seeing as Rusty had shown previous interest in payment networks (he was working on a micro-transaction network before being hired). Out of a team of probably a dozen developers Rusty is the only one involved with Lightning work at Blockstream. You can find here the lightning development mailing list where you should realise a couple of different developers outside of Blockstream are collaborating to the development progress of this network : http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/lightning-dev/. All this to say that Blockstream's economic model is evidently not based on the Lightning network and this development will not centralize the utility model of Bitcoin to their advantage.

2. On sidechains, you will find that they were scarcely advertised as a scaling solution for very good reason: they don't scale particularly well in their existing form. In fact, a little research should reveal to you that transactions between sidechains and the mainchains compete with regular transactions for space in blocks. It follows then that bigger blocks are advantageous to the development of sidechains and their scale. You should understand this particular bit of information defeats your argument.

You are so funny. Here some cold truth for you.

Developer EmployerIn favor of
Gavin Andresen MIT8mb+
Mike HearnGoogle, now Vinumeris8mb+
Meni RosenfeldIsraeli Bitcoin Association, Bitcoiltentative 8mb+
Jeff GarzikBitpay, now Dunvegan Space Systems, Inc. 2mb+
Peter ToddViacoin et al.1mb
Luke-JRSubcontracted by Blockstream1mb
Adam BackBlockstream Co-Founder1mb
Matt CoralloBlockstream Co-Founder1mb
GmaxwellBlockstream Co-Founder1mb
Peter WuilleBlockstream Co-Founder1mb
Mark Friedenbach(Maaku7)Blockstream Co-Founder1mb
laanwj MIT 1mb

brg444

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:53:01 PM

Gavin Andresen MIT8mb+
laanwj MIT 1mb

Do you have any argument? Let me adjust that list for you to make it... shall we say... a little more honest?

Gavin Andresen MIT, Coinbase8mb+
Mike HearnGoogle, now Vinumeris, Circle8mb+
laanwj MIT 1mb
Nick SzaboN/A1mb
Alex MorcosChaincode Labs1mb
Suhas DaftuarChaincode Labs1mb
Eric LombrozoCiphrex1mb
Jorge TimonN/A1mb
Bram CohenBittorrent1mb

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:57:01 PM

Gavin Andresen MIT8mb+
laanwj MIT 1mb

Do you have any argument? Let me adjust that list for you to make it... shall we say... a little more honest?

Gavin Andresen MIT, Coinbase8mb+
Mike HearnGoogle, now Vinumeris, Circle8mb+
laanwj MIT 1mb
Nick SzaboN/A1mb
Alex MorcoxChaincode Labs1mb
Suhas DaftuarChaincode Labs1mb
Eric LombrozoCiphrex1mb
Jorge TimonN/A1mb
Bram CohenBittorrent1mb

You don't seem to grasp the confilct of interest between blocksteam and Core development. I doubt you someday will because you don't seem to know what a conflict of interest actually is. That's OK.

brg444

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:03:28 PM

You don't seem to grasp the confilct of interest between blocksteam and Core development. I doubt you someday will because you don't seem to know what a conflict of interest actually is. That's OK.

I do understand it but from the list above you should understand, if you actually care about honesty, that there is a load of conflicts of interests to share between all Bitcoin developers. Conflict of interest does not imply ill intentions. You have to prove them. So far you trolls haven't done such a good job at providing factual information to back up your claims. Maybe... try harder?

acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:13:07 PM

Thank you Har01d.
I think you said something very intelligent here. Don't be so shy: your English is good.
You made your point very clear to me. And I?m really sorry about your post being deleted... but that's how it goes.

Post more often...
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:17:51 PM

I do understand it but from the list above you should understand, if you actually care about honesty, that there is a load of conflicts of interests to share between all Bitcoin developers. Conflict of interest does not imply ill intentions. You have to prove them. So far you trolls haven't done such a good job at providing factual information to back up your claims. Maybe... try harder?

Nope that's not how it works. Do you know that the opinion of experts in a position of conflict of interest are automatically disregarded in a court trial? The reason is simple, there is no way to prove if an intention is ill or not so they ate considered as ill by default.

Core devs shouldn't have put themselves in the position of working for Core and a private company in the first place. In no ways it should be considered as acceptable.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:29:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9K796cnJ5o

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
brg444

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:31:18 PM

Nope that's not how it works. Do you know that the opinion of experts in a position of conflict of interest are automatically disregarded in a court trial? The reason is simple, there is no way to prove if an intention is ill or not so they ate considered as ill by default.

Core devs shouldn't have put themselves in the position of working for Core and a private company in the first place. In no ways it should be considered as acceptable.

Scientific papers are published every day with stated conflicts of interest by their authors. It's nothing new really.

Moreover, core devs have to get paid somehow. You expect them to put in these types of hours for free? Do you happen to know under what model Blockstream was incorporated and what their stated goals are?

It's really curious and quite honestly hypocritical for you to rail against the Blockstream paid core devs but make no mentions of Gavin's tie to MIT, Coinbase & Mike's work with Circle or Jeff Garzik & BitPay. I suppose that "doesn't count" right?

Maybe... try harder?

sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 04:35:00 PM

You are the one who needs to try harder. You're basic strategy of insults, lies and quick changes of course don't fool anyone ( unless they want to be fooled)

Honesty does not rest easy with you. But you are willing to blag your way through, in the vain hope that sufficient volume will make up for lack of wisdom.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: