Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:44:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 416 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH  (Read 527635 times)
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 01:50:24 PM

how are you using the lepa? do u have some converter from 8pin cpu to 6pin?

does it have frequency and voltage control?

temps? is the case warm at the back?

thx!
I'm using the GPU/CPU/RAM rails on the LEPA to power the unit. I have four PCI-e connections on rail 12V5 (three connectors powering hashing boards and one powering the controller) and two connections on each of 12V3,12V4 and 12V6. So in total there are 10 PCI-e connectors on the miner and that's how I split them up.

Haven't looked into frequency or voltage control on the miner yet. I mentioned before that I  don't plan on overclocking this unit for awhile, so I don't have any numbers on that yet. However I suspect it has at minimum frequency controls.

After mining for a few hours the outside case is as cool as when the unit is unplugged. Obviously quite a bit of warm air is blown out by the fans during operation, but case is nice and cool and hashing board temps are from 44C-49C for me with an ambient temperature of ~ 20C.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 03:07:15 PM

I just received an S7 earlier today for reviewing for a computer hardware site, AMA!

Here are some quick things I've found during a couple hours of testing:
-The miner is VERY loud. Compared to a ZeusMiner Thunder X6/GAWMiner Falcon, this miner is definitely louder. However, one thing to mention is that although the unit has two fans, I suspect one of the fans is dead (swapped plugins, fan shows an RPM on the Miner Status page but isn't spinning up at all). So if both fans were working, the unit would probably be a little quieter. But it's the miner is very audible through a door, about 30 feet away, even when listening to music slightly louder than a normal conversation through speakers. However, this single fan blows a ton of air, similar to other miners. It blows enough air to be an effective hand dryer. The noise really reminds me of a vacuum cleaner on full speed.

-My review unit is hashing away at about 4.60TH/s. A little lower than what BITMAIN claims, but still a very good rate.

-Import fees were fairly high for me, BITMAIN claimed the package as the full value when shipping it out, and I was charged a total of $131.48 CAD from UPS for delivery ($121.48 for customs fees, and $10 for brokerage fees)

-The unit uses DHCP - no more plugging it directly into a PC and modifying settings if you aren't using the default 192.168.x.x domain hardcoded into older Antminer miners, very nice for those not using the 192.168 subdomain.

Those were a few things I noticed during the first couple hours of testing, but yeah, be sure to let me know if you have any more questions. I don't think I'll overclock it for awhile, so don't expect to get answers on that.  Tongue

Careful with only running 1 fan.  I had an AM Prisma that only had 1 fan.  The miner was using ~1100 watts and the single fan failed.  In a short order, the miner caught fire and was destroyed in a nice flaming bunch of expensive electronics.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 03:50:25 PM

I just received an S7 earlier today for reviewing for a computer hardware site, AMA!

Here are some quick things I've found during a couple hours of testing:
-The miner is VERY loud. Compared to a ZeusMiner Thunder X6/GAWMiner Falcon, this miner is definitely louder. However, one thing to mention is that although the unit has two fans, I suspect one of the fans is dead (swapped plugins, fan shows an RPM on the Miner Status page but isn't spinning up at all). So if both fans were working, the unit would probably be a little quieter. But it's the miner is very audible through a door, about 30 feet away, even when listening to music slightly louder than a normal conversation through speakers. However, this single fan blows a ton of air, similar to other miners. It blows enough air to be an effective hand dryer. The noise really reminds me of a vacuum cleaner on full speed.

-My review unit is hashing away at about 4.60TH/s. A little lower than what BITMAIN claims, but still a very good rate.

-Import fees were fairly high for me, BITMAIN claimed the package as the full value when shipping it out, and I was charged a total of $131.48 CAD from UPS for delivery ($121.48 for customs fees, and $10 for brokerage fees)

-The unit uses DHCP - no more plugging it directly into a PC and modifying settings if you aren't using the default 192.168.x.x domain hardcoded into older Antminer miners, very nice for those not using the 192.168 subdomain.

Those were a few things I noticed during the first couple hours of testing, but yeah, be sure to let me know if you have any more questions. I don't think I'll overclock it for awhile, so don't expect to get answers on that.  Tongue

Careful with only running 1 fan.  I had an AM Prisma that only had 1 fan.  The miner was using ~1100 watts and the single fan failed.  In a short order, the miner caught fire and was destroyed in a nice flaming bunch of expensive electronics.

Watch air closly as you dont want to get to hot.  Warranty has changed a lot on what you can do at this point.

Open up a RMA with a ticket and hopefully they send you one for free.  If nothing else it documents you had permission to mess with fan.
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 04:08:46 PM

Sure, I can try and take a short video of it hashing away a little later today. I've taken a few pictures already of the unboxing, but I'll take more of it all hooked up and hashing as well. Should have the video of the miner up in about 10 hours or so at the latest.

Thanks in advance for the sneak peek!

Can you confirm that the controller has 9 18-pin jacks, the same as the S5+? There are a number of us interested in trying to control multiple S7s from a single S7 controller.

I assume that it's the same controller, given the pictures from Bitmain. But it would be nice to have actual confirmation from someone with an S7 in hand.

Also, how long are the controller ribbon cables? Any chance that they would reach to an adjacent S7 next to a center unit?

Note that there's there's already a separate thread around obtaining extra or longer ribbon cables:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1173573.0

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 04:30:21 PM

how are you using the lepa? do u have some converter from 8pin cpu to 6pin?

does it have frequency and voltage control?

temps? is the case warm at the back?

thx!
I'm using the GPU/CPU/RAM rails on the LEPA to power the unit. I have four PCI-e connections on rail 12V5 (three connectors powering hashing boards and one powering the controller) and two connections on each of 12V3,12V4 and 12V6. So in total there are 10 PCI-e connectors on the miner and that's how I split them up.

Haven't looked into frequency or voltage control on the miner yet. I mentioned before that I  don't plan on overclocking this unit for awhile, so I don't have any numbers on that yet. However I suspect it has at minimum frequency controls.

After mining for a few hours the outside case is as cool as when the unit is unplugged. Obviously quite a bit of warm air is blown out by the fans during operation, but case is nice and cool and hashing board temps are from 44C-49C for me with an ambient temperature of ~ 20C.

Can you try to run it with two PCIe connectors per board? It would be interesting to see if it needs all three.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 04:34:51 PM

Watch air closly as you dont want to get to hot.  Warranty has changed a lot on what you can do at this point.

Open up a RMA with a ticket and hopefully they send you one for free.  If nothing else it documents you had permission to mess with fan.

Did you not read at all

Turns out the second fan was working the whole time, it was just the fan grill that made it look like it wasn't working (derp). So my previous noise level estimates were taken from the unit with both fans working.

Also, I just took a power reading and it looks like this miner takes 1200W exactly for me, using a LEPA 1600W PSU.

guitarplinker
Legendary

Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 04:56:11 PM

Edonkey and suchmoon, I'm not near the miner right now but I'll try and answer your questions a little later today.
t800ch

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 05:04:28 PM

Using mining calculator at https://tradeblock.com/bitcoin/mining , I am shocked of how much the monthly electricity cost will be for running this full time in California 24/7: $167
 Huh Shocked
45% of the revenue generated in the first month goes toward paying electricity.

That's a lot!

thats because its california. A lot of places pay <50% of that

I still don't see how running this can be profitable even in a state like Idaho or Washing where electricity only cost 8 cents.   Huh Roll Eyes It's not possible to break even in the first year.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 05:17:50 PM

I still don't see how running this can be profitable even in a state like Idaho or Washing where electricity only cost 8 cents.   Huh Roll Eyes It's not possible to break even in the first year.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct. Is that a surprise to you? If so, why?

I don't have any reason to believe that the pricing is set so that YOU can make profit in a year, if ever.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 05:26:11 PM

Dang, this difficulty is skyrocketing at the moment. Probably going to be another 5% increase.

What are the chances of Bitmain of reducing the price by 5% to compensate?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
t800ch

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 05:27:13 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2015, 05:38:11 PM by t800ch

I am surprised.
 How you miners guys making money?
Do you have better luck with pooling with other miners?
or maybe waiting for price of btc to go up in the long run?
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 05:30:26 PM

Did you not read at all

Turns out the second fan was working the whole time, it was just the fan grill that made it look like it wasn't working (derp). So my previous noise level estimates were taken from the unit with both fans working.

Also, I just took a power reading and it looks like this miner takes 1200W exactly for me, using a LEPA 1600W PSU.

Nope.  Not at all.  Thanks for the helpful comments
thedreamer
Legendary

Merit: 1002

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 06:17:12 PM

What's with all the whining?

Even at $.10 per kwh, it profits $275 at current prices. Diff will affect it but so will higher btc price.
Should be able to ROI within a year. Or sell earlier and still be well off.
Same as before.

Go Big or Go Home.
t800ch

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 06:28:24 PM

Even at $.10 per kwh, it profits $275 at current prices. Diff will affect it but so will higher btc price.
Same as before.

You haven't taken into account of the difficulty increase. As it increases, the profit decrease.
So it's not possible to break even in a year, unless the difficulty drop.
See the calculation:
https://i.imgur.com/g7xEqnw.png?1
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 06:32:02 PM

Same as before.

You haven't taken into account of the difficulty increase. As it increases, the profit decrease.

Difficulty raising right now is a little scary. Looks like a second week with around 5 or so percent.  This will kill a lot of ROI's.

I also compare buying BTC to mining when I decide what to do.  For example if you hold the 8 or so coins and lets say they go up to 260, you are competing against that too.  Holding sometimes wins.

I do love mining and will keep mining though.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 06:38:23 PM

Same as before.

See the calculation:

I don't think anybody is claiming that this is guaranteed easy money and Bitmain surely won't price their miners to make it easy for us to make money.

Some people treat it as a hobby, some have really cheap power, some expect the resale value to outweigh difficulty increases, lots of situations here.
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 07:02:03 PM

Same as before.

See the calculation:

I don't think anybody is claiming that this is guaranteed easy money and Bitmain surely won't price their miners to make it easy for us to make money.

Some people treat it as a hobby, some have really cheap power, some expect the resale value to outweigh difficulty increases, lots of situations here.

Yeah, I take it as a hobby. I know I will never ROI at least while on SoCal Edison Tier 4 rate, there is a slight chance of breaking even after reselling the miner. Still I ordered 3 Smiley.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 07:34:12 PM

Same as before.

See the calculation:

I treat it as a hobby with goal of ROI.  I do run ROI and if it's no end in sight I will not buy (exception is lotto mining).   But all hobbies cost money. 

The difficulty though I think is going to be a little scary. If they keep pumping S7's we can likely see it going up more and more.  No more 2 percent changes for a bit.
sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 3499

born once atheist

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 07:53:44 PM

Same as before.

See the calculation:

Yeah, I take it as a hobby. I know I will never ROI at least while on SoCal Edison Tier 4 rate, there is a slight chance of breaking even after reselling the miner. Still I ordered 3 Smiley.

despite  knowing  that roi is near impossible there is something addicting about mining bitcoin.  (and I'm sure Bitmain is very well aware of this)
anyone who claims its a hobby is code for "yeah i started mining bitcoin, caught the bug, now im hooked. roi? ahhh who cares, like i said its just a hobby!

Bitcoin...the future of all monetary transactions...and always will be
t800ch

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:29:28 PM

It may be possible to keep ahead of the ROI curve if you resell the miner for maybe %40-50 of its original price and buy the newest model when it's released.
How often does bitmain release a new s-series? and how much does the resale value drop of the previous generation drop?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 416 »
  Print  

Jump to: