Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:05:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin scams  (Read 5116 times)
SEC agent (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

America, land of the free

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 02:29:57 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2012, 03:04:06 PM by SEC agent

Now I'm starting to think you are being intentionally dense. The moderator's explicitly state in that disclaimer (you can call it what you want, but it is a disclaimer) that they do not remove scams from the forum (and "theymos" has reiterated that fact on multiple occasions).  That means they allow them to operate openly. That makes them conspirators in the eyes of the law. If I allow people to deal drugs out of my house, then I can be arrested too.

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it." -George Washington
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 02:35:56 PM

So you work at the SEC prove it. Pics of your office building? Your office? Stationary?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 02:51:43 PM

"Complaining on the internet" has for too long been subject to the highs and lows of the fascistic capitalist system. It is high time it was nationalized and I, for one, applaud sec agent's initiative.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
AwkwardSituation

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:44:06 PM

Bitcoins are (currently) valuable, and newbies are gullible, so the two combine to make a lucrative environment to steal, scam, rip off, trick, conjole, and jack bitcoins from fools.

I think the bitcoin market uses the Darwin principal for moderating it's user base.  The fools lose coins, either leave, or get savvy.  In either case, it's not just btc that's all caltrops and punji stick traps.
Beirdo

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:49:19 PM

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

The first line in the disclaimer shows how complicit the moderator's are in the criminal acts performed on this forum. The amount of mental gymnastics it takes to ignore this fact is, quite frankly, amazing.

In the eyes of the law, this makes them conspirators. Not to mention this forum could face penalties under the RICO act for protecting and promoting the criminals that fill the lending and securities forum.

Hardly.  First off, this forum isn't under USA jurisdiction, necessarily.  The site's domain is registered in Canada, and can you even prove where the server is located?  If not, you are talking out of yer butt.  A "central authority" for something that was designed to be decentralized and international intentionally... would require the cooperation of the entire community, and I'm pretty sure a large portion of it is not in the USA at all, neither the scammer, nor the victim.

And you are missing the blatantly obvious:  the moderators are not removing *likely* scams.  That says nothing about *known* scams, which others have already stated are ruthlessly removed.  And, if you truly are an SEC agent (which I doubt), you are partially to blame for the scams that are propagated on the US stock market and bond markets daily.  It is your job to root them out, and yet they happened.  So maybe you should face penalties under the RICO Act yourself.

Dangling US law over the heads of all is precisely why the desire and need for bitcoin came to be and is so strong.  We want our resources controlled by us, and to be able to take the risks WE are OK with taking, not to be told by Big Brother that we must go through their system, and have them scam us instead.

Please go back under your bridge, troll.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 08:27:45 PM

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

The first line in the disclaimer shows how complicit the moderator's are in the criminal acts performed on this forum. The amount of mental gymnastics it takes to ignore this fact is, quite frankly, amazing.

In the eyes of the law, this makes them conspirators. Not to mention this forum could face penalties under the RICO act for protecting and promoting the criminals that fill the lending and securities forum.

Hardly.  First off, this forum isn't under USA jurisdiction, necessarily.  The site's domain is registered in Canada, and can you even prove where the server is located?  If not, you are talking out of yer butt.  A "central authority" for something that was designed to be decentralized and international intentionally... would require the cooperation of the entire community, and I'm pretty sure a large portion of it is not in the USA at all, neither the scammer, nor the victim.

And you are missing the blatantly obvious:  the moderators are not removing *likely* scams.  That says nothing about *known* scams, which others have already stated are ruthlessly removed.  And, if you truly are an SEC agent (which I doubt), you are partially to blame for the scams that are propagated on the US stock market and bond markets daily.  It is your job to root them out, and yet they happened.  So maybe you should face penalties under the RICO Act yourself.

Dangling US law over the heads of all is precisely why the desire and need for bitcoin came to be and is so strong.  We want our resources controlled by us, and to be able to take the risks WE are OK with taking, not to be told by Big Brother that we must go through their system, and have them scam us instead.

Please go back under your bridge, troll.

a simple traceroute to the IP address that this domain resolves to shows that the server is sitting in Dallas, TX area....
so it is operating in the good old US of A.
dieteralex

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 08:31:06 PM

In my oppinion if you get scammed, its completely your own fault. i mean I'm very new to bitcoins, but isnt the first rule for trading with bitcoins to only interact with people you trust?
So this forum should build a web of trust, or rate offers, so that new users can tell if someone is trustworthy or not.
and please guys get it: he is NOT some kind of Agent Cheesy
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 08:33:07 PM

The fact people belive that guy is an SEC agent is why there is a warning on the forum  Tongue

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 08:45:10 PM

The fact people belive that guy is an SEC agent is why there is a warning on the forum  Tongue

^^This... Roll Eyes
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 12:16:18 AM

In my oppinion if you get scammed, its completely your own fault. i mean I'm very new to bitcoins, but isnt the first rule for trading with bitcoins to only interact with people you trust? So this forum should build a web of trust, or rate offers, so that new users can tell if someone is trustworthy or not.
That just doesn't work. I strongly suspect you actually don't believe it and are just trying to make some kind of rhetorical point. But if you honestly don't understand why, you are very, very new.

The problem is that there is no reliable way to tell who to trust, especially when dishonest people can create reams of shills. Also, scams like Ponzi schemes pay out reliably until the one day they collapse. So even a history of on-schedule generous payments verified by the most reliable people doesn't mean you can trust someone.

Also, while you certainly can blame the victim of a scam for falling for the scam, it's important to point out that this in no way reduces the blame that justly falls on the perpetrator of the scam.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
22bones

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:29:25 AM

Why are people even attempting to invest bitcoins anyway?  Isn't it a deflationary currency?  "Be your own bank?"

SEC Agent, your username itself is a bit of fakery.  Maybe we shouldn't allow disingenuous usernames on this board.
dieteralex

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:39:44 AM

In my oppinion if you get scammed, its completely your own fault. i mean I'm very new to bitcoins, but isnt the first rule for trading with bitcoins to only interact with people you trust? So this forum should build a web of trust, or rate offers, so that new users can tell if someone is trustworthy or not.
That just doesn't work. I strongly suspect you actually don't believe it and are just trying to make some kind of rhetorical point. But if you honestly don't understand why, you are very, very new.

The problem is that there is no reliable way to tell who to trust, especially when dishonest people can create reams of shills. Also, scams like Ponzi schemes pay out reliably until the one day they collapse. So even a history of on-schedule generous payments verified by the most reliable people doesn't mean you can trust someone.

Also, while you certainly can blame the victim of a scam for falling for the scam, it's important to point out that this in no way reduces the blame that justly falls on the perpetrator of the scam.

it actually is possible to create a web of trust( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_trust) or just integrate a rating system as seen on ebay or amazon, which would create an at least much safer envoirement.
I as a Newbie to this community have no clue who of the people around here is trustworthy, i can just rely on my common sense and that definitly tells me not to invest my money in ponzi schemes or trade money with total strangers on devious conditions.
Beirdo

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:42:15 AM

Why are people even attempting to invest bitcoins anyway?  Isn't it a deflationary currency?  "Be your own bank?"

Isn't most of the deflationary part before the first halving?  I would expect, if anything, to see it become essentially inflationary against fiat currency increasingly as the supply of new BTC starts to slow.  Supply and demand and all that...  We are investing now on the expectation that they will be harder to come by, and thus their value increase over time.  Or at least that's what my brain says.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 01:19:06 AM

Bitcoin isn't deflationary in the purest sense, since the supply will continue to rise slowly toward the BTC21 million cap, but in a relative sense, with (hopefully!) the BTC-trading economy expanding wildly and the rate of issue of new BTC slowing, one could call that deflationary, especially against fiat bankster paper that Bernanke and Co. are printing crazily.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Beirdo

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 01:55:28 AM

a simple traceroute to the IP address that this domain resolves to shows that the server is sitting in Dallas, TX area....

Yes, and if it became an issue, I'm sure it could be migrated in a matter of hours to a server somewhere else.  Somewhere out of the reach of this Big Brother, and into the reach of another.  Either way, there's no lasting jurisdiction, especially with the registrar being out of the USA.
SEC agent (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:29:42 PM

Keep thinking that the us governments reach doesn't exceed us soil.  Even if you ignore the fact that our government works very closely with government agencies in foreign countries, you still have to account for extradition laws. If the government wants you, they will get you eventually. You cant hide in Ecuador or some other non extradition country forever, even assange will be caught eventually and brought to justice. Criminals and the organizations that support them can only escape the governments reach for so long.

Welcome to global government.

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it." -George Washington
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:29:33 AM

Welcome to global government.

And anyone that would use that statement would not have passed the psych evaluation that is required to get any sort of clearance within a government agency. Hello Puppet.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:36:31 AM

Amount of suspicious activities here is just amazing. Complete unknown persons are allowed to freely post and attract visitors to their websites.

May I take this opportunity to point out the ASIC miner ad in your sig?
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 02:43:54 AM

Yes, and if it became an issue, I'm sure it could be migrated in a matter of hours to a server somewhere else.  Somewhere out of the reach of this Big Brother, and into the reach of another.  Either way, there's no lasting jurisdiction, especially with the registrar being out of the USA.

He already has people who listed securities based in the US. It doesnt matter where on earth he goes at this point.

SEC agent (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:50:02 AM
Last edit: October 11, 2012, 03:40:25 AM by SEC agent

You are naive if you believe that governments don't routinely cooperate with each other.

Of course you are gullible enough to believe that this forum doesn't actively promote and protect criminals, so I'll throw you a bone.

Google "United Nations" and educate yourself. Hell, google "European Union" while your at it. Then come back and tell me that governments don't cooperate in a major way. Since we have a global economy (and since every nations politics affect politics on a global scale) the nations of the world are forced to work together to solve problems internationaly.

Are you really that unaware of the world around you?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: