Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:38:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is needed in the Bitcoin economy?  (Read 1522 times)
CryptoFreak33 (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:27:33 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2012, 01:37:41 PM by CryptoFreak33

For most people, Bitcoin is seen as an investment. They buy a few (or a lot) of them, store them away, and hope to sell them at a profit one day. It's an exciting game for people who like to speculate. But, I think this kind of thinking actually slows Bitcoin adoption because, if everyone is focusing on investing, fewer people are thinking of Bitcoin is a currency.

Look at currencies like the Dollar, Yen, or Euro. While some people do buy and sell the actual currency, most average people 1) try to get more of it to buy and pay for things or 2) try to provide services and products that people are willing to pay for. It's money, not really an 'investment'.

IMHO, the investment mentality is one of the things holding back Bitcoin adoption.  Almost all of the scam headlines (which is mostly what most people see) has to do with scammy investments where people were taken for hundreds or thousands of Bitcoins. That's scary to the average person.

The real value in Bitcoin is trade. Bitcoint for product/service. No fiat exchange, no conversion, whatever. But we're not there yet, right? So here's my question (after a totally fucking long winded journey):

Simply: what services and infrastructure do we need to have to enable greater pure Bitcoin commerce? I get the usual like groceries and stuff but what else?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:32:57 PM

While some of the sites that deal with Bitcoin securities ask the users to provide ID.

Whats ID are they providing their users?

CryptoFreak33 (OP)

Activity: 57

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:39:45 PM

While some of the sites that deal with Bitcoin securities ask the users to provide ID.

That's why I believe we need standards, just like the banks have. We'd never deal with banks that were as fly by night as many of the sites in the Bitcoin community seem to be. We need some sort of community agreed on standards that we force businesses to adhere to if they want our business.
teamhugs

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:52:11 PM

Simply: what services and infrastructure do we need to have to enable greater pure Bitcoin commerce? I get the usual like groceries and stuff but what else?

Trust.

Without trust in merchants and customers, there will be no growth in the economy or usage of bitcoins. Any one product or service is irrelevant at this point. If I can't trust the other party in a transaction, I'm not going to do the transaction. Figuring out a reputation system/score by some identifier could go a long way towards building trust in trustworthy individuals and services. Here's a TED Talk as an overview of the issue, http://www.ted.com/talks/rachel_botsman_the_currency_of_the_new_economy_is_trust.html . There is a bunch of research into this area as well, https://duckduckgo.com/?q=journal+of+reputation+and+trust+research. Ebay, paypal, amazon, and others have had to figure this out. We will too.

Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:55:59 PM

What we need is a limit to the amount that can be spent anonymously on securities.

That amount should be paid by the Securities firm to an Escrow.

That way, we keep it Anonymous.

We see it being done in the most successful Bitcoin marketplace, But very few are trying to replicate it in the legitimate world.

Going down the path of the banks once again centralizes the power of Bitcoin.

That's why I believe we need standards, just like the banks have. We'd never deal with banks that were as fly by night as many of the sites in the Bitcoin community seem to be. We need some sort of community agreed on standards that we force businesses to adhere to if they want our business.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:20:25 PM

So you want to be part of the Bitcoin Marketplace, do you?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 03:29:26 PM

nope.. Just a Writer, trying my bit to popularize Bitcoin.

ChillZon3

Activity: 17

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 06:38:29 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2012, 10:49:26 AM by ChillZon3

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 08:16:55 AM

We need an island.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
fluxist

Activity: 35

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 06:28:31 PM

More commerce!

One of the benefits of bitcoins is that it can eliminate fraud in e-commerce. That means online stores don't have to charge a 1-2% markup to cover fraud losses. The savings can be passed on to the customer. Not to mention it will facilitate international commerce, as the rate of fraud from international sales is 2 to 3 times higher than domestic.

Imagine if Amazon.com said all prices in BTC will be 2% lower than USD? Think that would help bitcoin take off?

Once there's a strong enough economic ecosystem around bitcoin, the currency exchange losses can be avoided too. There will be no need to exchange BTC for USD.

All in all, speculation and investment vehicles may be the most popular avenues for bitcoin on this forum, but they'll be more and more a drop in the bucket as the market penetration increases.
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

More promotion of BitcoinFriday Wink

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
TheDarKnight

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 10:05:30 PM

How about Bitcoins for access to gaming sites  Smiley
Giving out vouchers to go to BTC-accepting restaurants in competitions on the web?
What it really needs is one big idea where BTC are the only major currency...until someone comes along with it, we'll have to wait! Wait on though, isn't $10-$12 already a high value??
Now don't tell me the only thing that BTCs were good for is making a few clever entrepreneurs rich and scammers fat-walleted.

Please consider trading on bter.com via my referral link shown here, it's a great site for profit with a wide selection of currencies and low fees. https://bter.com/signup/1566

Ziftrcoin tips please!
ZZK4rj1yPRKjmZ26y9tvWq8oeEDUwiV31R
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: