Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 05:27:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Constant Dropping of one Board Antminer S5! (ALL of THEM)  (Read 3111 times)
gerardo15 (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 02:35:26 PM

That's the one im using in all my miners, tried smiths firmware too. nicehash firmware too.

I have the exact same "problem" i decided to just ignore it as overall its 2-3ghs loss;

I posted about this in several places and got a few replies but nothing helpful. I can sum it up to people posting the same 101 troubleshooting suggestions and a handful of others saying they have the same problem.

It still happen once or twice a day. Its the top blade if you look at it in the webserver in miner status.

It look like a sharp dip in the pool's graph everytime;
https://i.imgur.com/xWe4wYX.png?1

Typically only last 2-3 minutes.

Edit: My S5 is batch 7 (used from bitmain) on the latest PCB.

Finally.. i realized a lot of people has this "problem" and they don't know!

last week i was helping someone on facebook setting up his cryptoglance.. and i saw one of his miner hashing half of it.. and i said like "hey look,, that's the problem i told you about, it's happening in one of your miners" and he was like.. "shit, i have never seen that before"

im pretty sure it's a common problem. but people are not all day looking at their miners, they just care about the average hashrate
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 03:12:36 PM

Yes, i think so too. Smiley

I am also under the impression it happens to many people without them being aware of it. Many have the mentality; "It works for me so you're doing something wrong." without really understanding the issue.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
cniht

Activity: 45

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 03:27:56 PM

It's a very intermittent thing, and lasts for a very short time.  Overall the average rate is stable even looking at my own S5's and to specs.  Not saying they won't take that 200 GH drop for no reason what-so-ever, but it recovers pretty quick.

As long as the chips are running fine and you're not getting HW errors out the back side I think it's something that's just a design flaw.

If you're looking for two more used Bitmain S5s and are in the US let me know.  I'll toss em your way at a loss to what I purchased them for, but you pay for shipping.  Have the original packaging so they would be securely shipped.  Would rather put that money toward another S7. Wink

gerardo15 (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 12:52:34 PM

I am also under the impression it happens to many people without them being aware of it. Many have the mentality; "It works for me so you're doing something wrong." without really understanding the issue.

The only thing we all have in common is the internet provider.. I am starting to think is has something to do with the internet.. We are using best of the worst of Internet in Venezuela
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 04:10:32 PM

The only thing we all have in common is the internet provider.. I am starting to think is has something to do with the internet.. We are using best of the worst of Internet in Venezuela

What do you mean in common? I certainly do not have Venezuela low end internet. And i can't possibly see a way how a board dropping has anything to do with your ISP.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 2581

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 01:59:21 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2015, 12:52:19 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

I'll just pipe in and say that out of 15 S5's I have 3 have been pulled from the main farm and put on the Group-W bench for misbehaving. With mine it started withing the past 3 months.

They also have a habit of dropping the same card every few days. With these sometimes a soft boot will cure it, most often take a hard boot. Only difference on my rapscallions is that looking at the non-fan end on 2 of them it is the card on the left and on 1 it is the right side card. The misbehaving ones range from batch -1 to batch-5. However, for each of the 3 it is always the same card.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:01:17 AM

I have 2 and one of them does this every so often.  It requires a power cycle to make it start working with both boards again.  It only happens maybe twice a month or so, so not a huge deal but certainly annoying.  I absolutely do check hashrate on my miners every morning and then several times throughout the day.  I wish there was a way to make it correct remotely without a power cycle but I have not been able to.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:51:33 AM

I have 2 and one of them does this every so often.  It requires a power cycle to make it start working with both boards again.  It only happens maybe twice a month or so, so not a huge deal but certainly annoying.  I absolutely do check hashrate on my miners every morning and then several times throughout the day.  I wish there was a way to make it correct remotely without a power cycle but I have not been able to.

I see, this is not the issue i have. At least, the board only drop for a few minutes at most, then get re-picked up. I hope my issue won't devolve in your issue :S.

I mine in Kano and i use MMMonitor.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 05:01:31 AM

I have 2 and one of them does this every so often.  It requires a power cycle to make it start working with both boards again.  It only happens maybe twice a month or so, so not a huge deal but certainly annoying.  I absolutely do check hashrate on my miners every morning and then several times throughout the day.  I wish there was a way to make it correct remotely without a power cycle but I have not been able to.

I see, this is not the issue i have. At least, the board only drop for a few minutes at most, then get re-picked up. I hope my issue won't devolve in your issue :S.

It all depend on the miner.  The S5's really do have a personality.  Some are much better then others.  Mine did it a few times for a few day's, then stopped and it's bee great for months.

I did do the wire check and do the firmware install.  So i'm guessing my firmware update was what really did it.  But in no way do these fix evey S5 with dropping a blade.

Also which one is MMMonitor?  I could not find it by name.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 05:03:49 AM

It all depend on the miner.  The S5's really do have a personality.  Some are much better then others.  Mine did it a few times for a few day's, then stopped and it's bee great for months.

I did do the wire check and do the firmware install.  So i'm guessing my firmware update was what really did it.  But in no way do these fix evey S5 with dropping a blade.

What firmware are you using? I am using the latest from Bitmain. "SD-S5-20150715-fan_ctrl.tar.gz". I have the few minutes dropping for always the top board problem and i have not tried other firmware.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 05:21:29 AM

It all depend on the miner.  The S5's really do have a personality.  Some are much better then others.  Mine did it a few times for a few day's, then stopped and it's bee great for months.

I did do the wire check and do the firmware install.  So i'm guessing my firmware update was what really did it.  But in no way do these fix evey S5 with dropping a blade.

What firmware are you using? I am using the latest from Bitmain. "SD-S5-20150715-fan_ctrl.tar.gz". I have the few minutes dropping for always the top board problem and i have not tried other firmware.

It appears to be "SD-S5-20150107.tar.gz".  I also had some heat happening during it.  I ended up making up new mining area with a lot of CFM.

It is a batch 1 for what it's worth.  It also has not had the problem where network drop kills it.  So i could just be lucky and and it's a pretty good unit.  When I did have the problem for a few day's I had to manually turn off PSU and turn on PSU.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 12:51:01 PM

<snip>
Also which one is MMMonitor?  I could not find it by name.

Pretty sure they means M's Pool Monitor http://96.44.166.190/MPoolMonitor42.zip

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 08:40:51 PM

<snip>
Also which one is MMMonitor?  I could not find it by name.

Pretty sure they means M's Pool Monitor http://96.44.166.190/MPoolMonitor42.zip

I mean M's Miner Monitor;
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=596178.0

MMinerMonitor.exe or MMM as i like to call it.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 05:00:21 PM

I just got two more S5's and one of them seems to have the exact issue you describe.  One hashing boards drops out, temp drops off to idle on that board, and then it starts working again after a short time.  It is the right side board as viewed from the front.  The other new one is not doing it so far and neither of my older ones do this (although one of the older ones does something similar but worse as I pointed out above).  It is worth noting that the newer ones also both have the newest firmware while my older ones have the Wed Apr 15 15:17:03 CST 2015 firmware.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:06:49 PM

<snip> It is worth noting that the newer ones also both have the newest firmware while my older ones have the Wed Apr 15 15:17:03 CST 2015 firmware.
I've noticed this myself with s5 miners using newer firmware. Back flashed several to the April 2015 version and the dropouts from them seem to have stopped. Hmm.

RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:21:13 PM

I had never seen this, but Today was testing some PSU's and a board dropped out briefly, red light off, hashing stopped and power dropped, came back on almost immediately, red light back on. Thought it was the PSU so changed back to the normal one and still had a couple of drops.

I have a theory which is that is is an Internet problem. I am having a very slow speeds at the moment with high latency. Of course since I then stated closely monitoring it has not done it again.

Also running on the latest firmware with the fan %.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:49:10 PM

But i have no internet issue. My ping is very small and does not spike. Still i am waiting to hear from you again, maybe you can figure it out.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:55:58 PM

I think there may be more than one problem here? The drop I am seeing is very short, a second or so, whereas looking at your graph I think it is longer? The OP has also mentioned that their Internet is not the best.

Mine has not done it again since I started watching closely, so I will retrace my steps with the other PSU. If I can get it to repeat I will also try going back a firmware version as it's quite recent that I upgraded.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:08:03 PM

I think there may be more than one problem here? The drop I am seeing is very short, a second or so, whereas looking at your graph I think it is longer? The OP has also mentioned that their Internet is not the best.

Mine has not done it again since I started watching closely, so I will retrace my steps with the other PSU. If I can get it to repeat I will also try going back a firmware version as it's quite recent that I upgraded.

Rich

Correct, it can happen from 0 to 3 times a day, last long enough to register a dip on hash graph on external website;

Basically, if i wasn't watching my Antminer S5 and noticing one blade dropping, i would probably just think its normal variance. Right now looking at the 1 week graph, i can only see 2. The one i notice last generally 30seconds to 2 minutes. But that might just be because i don't notice the smaller once since i don't have the monitor refreshing every few seconds.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
gerardo15 (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 02:44:31 AM

Ok i Think the FW has nothing to do with the drops i have tried Following FW:

Jan from Bitmain.
April from Bitmain
Graphs Nicehash
Smiths FW
July from Bitmain

I have tried them for periods of two weeks and still happens.. Im really getting frustated of not founding the problem.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: