Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:23:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will BFL reconfigure the FPGA's to mine LTC and then resell them?  (Read 2484 times)
yrtrnc (OP)

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:55:22 AM

I mean what will they do with so many FPGA's?  Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tinua

Activity: 871
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 10:50:02 AM

This does not work because the BFL's have not enough memory (RAM) onboard.
And you need that for LTC mining.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 12:02:31 PM

Interesting question - maybe they'll apply them to their other potential markets (listed on the bfl main page) being programmable would be an advantage if they're trying to develop into another market - then they could make an asic produce release that and repeat.

Morblias

Activity: 576

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 01:11:07 PM

Under their drivers page it lists the following:

Drivers:
Computational research
Medical imaging
Packet integrity verification
Generic fingerprinting engine

So I imagine they can be reprogrammed for stuff like this.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:44:54 PM

1. Sell them to .edu, .org institutions that have a need for computing power
2. Keep them as back-up to secure/mine the network in case let's say algorithm changes and all ASICs are made obsolete.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
yrtrnc (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 08:20:24 PM

They must know what they are doing, since they are taking so many back, and for the same price they sold them??

Their customer service is almost too good to be true. Maybe thats why so many people are sceptical?
firefop

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:27:33 PM

They must know what they are doing, since they are taking so many back, and for the same price they sold them??

Their customer service hardware is almost too good to be true. Maybe thats why so many people are sceptical confused?

FTFY - but in all fairness, they're turning over a new leaf with Josh joining the company, and he's gotten more random stuff to enhance customer service done since he started than they did the entire year before he was there.

meebs

Activity: 616

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 02:12:58 AM

yup. GPU-z reports a total of like 40mb of ram used between BOTH my 7950's when btc mining.

3gb total used (1.5 each) for LTC mining

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 05:08:02 AM

I kinda breezed over the theory behind LTC but they state it's optimized for a CPU's architecture plus a ton of RAM.  That means for them to make a faster solution, they'd have to outdesign Intel and AMD and use the most modern (patented) memory controller technology.  The best of the best belongs to AMD at a blazing 1866MHz native speed for their new trinity APU, unless you count GDDR5 on graphics cards but I think that works sort of differently.

In other words, CPUs could do bitcoin stuff, GPUs did it way better, and ASICs are exactly what you need to run bitcoin calculations at the fastest possible speed.  With LTC, CPUs are perfect for it so to make something better, you have to design a better CPU than say an i7 Tongue  At least that's what their wiki seems to suggest.
yrtrnc (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 07:24:12 AM

Wasnt BTC cpu mined at first? How did that change to GPU? Can the same be applied to LTC with the FPGA's ?

I kinda breezed over the theory behind LTC but they state it's optimized for a CPU's architecture plus a ton of RAM.  That means for them to make a faster solution, they'd have to outdesign Intel and AMD and use the most modern (patented) memory controller technology.  The best of the best belongs to AMD at a blazing 1866MHz native speed for their new trinity APU, unless you count GDDR5 on graphics cards but I think that works sort of differently.

In other words, CPUs could do bitcoin stuff, GPUs did it way better, and ASICs are exactly what you need to run bitcoin calculations at the fastest possible speed.  With LTC, CPUs are perfect for it so to make something better, you have to design a better CPU than say an i7 Tongue  At least that's what their wiki seems to suggest.
firefop

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:29:07 AM

Wasnt BTC cpu mined at first? How did that change to GPU? Can the same be applied to LTC with the FPGA's ?

Yes of course, but the proof of work is different... it's been designed to need fast access to large amounts of memory, so you'd be looking at an entirely new pcb - probably with memory on it - and usb likely wouldn't push enough bandwidth to keep up with 1 (and certainly not 5) fpga ltc miners.

Desolator

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 01:16:36 PM

CPu mining was the original way to mine bitcoins but that's because it was the easiest and the computer handled running the instructions 99% on its own.  Someone had to figure out how to interface with Nvidia and AMD cards using their own crappy language in their own crappy SDK to write a custom driver that would send data in an efficient manner to the GPU for processing then interpret the results.  That took a while Tongue
lame.duck
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 12:23:29 AM

Yes of course, but the proof of work is different... it's been designed to need fast access to large amounts of memory, so you'd be looking at an entirely new pcb - probably with memory on it - and usb likely wouldn't push enough bandwidth to keep up with 1 (and certainly not 5) fpga ltc miners.

No, thats not correct. A single LTC hashing core needs only a little over 128kB for working. Thats why it can run 'fast' on modern CPUs with  enough on chip Cache. The fact that LTC mining with GPUs needs so much money comes from the way GPUs work. (stream processing), so there will filled a large block of memory with task to compute since GPUs are Vector engines that don't work well with branching (and loops).

I am not really sure how much memory the EP3SL150 has, i think the would be 2-4 Hashing cores per chip possible.

All in all it should be possible to construckt a bitstream but it would be not so efficient as for BTC-hashing.

BTW, bitfury did some calculation on LTC Asics, but i have no idea about the state of the project.
Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 06:18:41 PM

they will use them for there OTHER BUSINESS SPECIALTYS THEY CLAIME THEY HAVE

quote; Butterfly Labs manufactures a line of high speed encryption processors for use in research, telecommunication and security applications

cheers

COINDER
COINDER
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8420

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 02:15:21 PM

No, LTC mining intentionally used parameters _far_ smaller than the scrypt recommendations—  You only need ~128k.
I'm sure that there is enough distributed sram on those FPGAs for that, although there may be routing constraints or not enough room for them and the hashing engines.

The reason the GPU scrypt miners use a lot of memory is that they must run many instances in parallel to get high performance (to hide the memory latency and to use all execution units).  A typical FPGA Bitcoin miner runs just one instance unrolled.
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 02:18:48 PM

Half the price they originally sold them for, and 1 for 1 basis, they're not stupid.

I've always wondered if the NSA would be buying them to get them out of hackers hands, I know I would, if I was bothered about national security. Grin

I assume they could also be used to crack bitcoin wallets too so not good for the bitcoin system either to have all this reprogrammable hashing power out there.
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 11:43:53 PM

Half the price they originally sold them for, and 1 for 1 basis, they're not stupid.

I've always wondered if the NSA would be buying them to get them out of hackers hands, I know I would, if I was bothered about national security. Grin

I assume they could also be used to crack bitcoin wallets too so not good for the bitcoin system either to have all this reprogrammable hashing power out there.
Half the price? A BitForce Single is $599, they give a $600 return for it, when buying a $1299 SC for $699.
Or was that Bitforce S. ever $1200?

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
HolyScott

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:20:08 AM

I don't even think they know what they are going to do with them yet.
Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 10:37:51 AM

they could turn them in to fpga mini rig thats doing 25gh but sell them not for 15k but for lower price...

Just guessing...maybe they will get hundreds returnd just hang them on a pool some were ... Huh Huh Huh

COINDER
COINDER
Desolator

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:26:27 PM

they could turn them in to fpga mini rig thats doing 25gh but sell them not for 15k but for lower price...

Just guessing...maybe they will get hundreds returnd just hang them on a pool some were ... Huh Huh Huh

At their power ratings vs speed, the power will cost more than they'd make after just a couple months of people using ASICs.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: