Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:32:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are bitcoin based securities illegal?  (Read 2251 times)
usagi (OP)
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 10:50:30 AM

While I can comprehend the idea that "unregistered securities" are "illegal" in the United States and the UK, the question here is what happens when you are not operating in one of those jurisdictions but instead you are on the internet, and/or in another country. For example, chewing gum in public might be illegal in Singapore, but they will hardly extradite a Jamaican natural living in France all the way to Singapore to put you on trial for chewing gum.

Before anyone panics and says "we're all doomed!" the SEC regulations provide a remedy:

If you are already engaged in the business and are not yet registered, you should cease all activities until you are properly registered.

So right off the top, if you/me anyone simply stops post haste, once being made aware of the legal status of what you are doing, you should be fine. This is likely what Nefario was told and what he did (although that is speculation on my part).

The question is, then, is it? Is this illegal? And if so, where? As for me, I'm not a U.S. citizen and I don't live in the USA. But there are two passages from the SEC regulations which seem to be important which i'd like to quote here for the benefit of my U.S. friends:

-----begin-quote-----
5. Issuer's "Exemption" and Associated Persons of Issuers (Rule 3a4-1)

Issuers generally are not "brokers" because they sell securities for their own accounts and not for the accounts of others. Moreover, issuers generally are not "dealers" because they do not buy and sell their securities for their own accounts as part of a regular business. Issuers whose activities go beyond selling their own securities, however, need to consider whether they would need to register as broker-dealers. This includes issuers that purchase their securities from investors, as well as issuers that effectively operate markets in their own securities or in securities whose features or terms can change or be altered. The so-called issuer's exemption does not apply to the personnel of a company who routinely engage in the business of effecting securities transactions for the company or related companies (such as general partners seeking investors in limited partnerships). The employees and other related persons of an issuer who assist in selling its securities may be "brokers," especially if they are paid for selling these securities and have few other duties.

Exchange Act Rule 3a4-1 provides that an associated person (or employee) of an issuer who participates in the sale of the issuer's securities would not have to register as a broker-dealer if that person, at the time of participation: (1) is not subject to a "statutory disqualification," as defined in Section 3(a)(39) of the Act; (2) is not compensated by payment of commissions or other remuneration based directly or indirectly on securities transactions; (3) is not an associated person of a broker or dealer; and (4) limits its sales activities as set forth in the rule.

Some issuers offer dividend reinvestment and stock purchase programs. Under certain conditions, an issuer may purchase and sell its own securities through a dividend reinvestment or stock purchase program without registering as a broker-dealer. These conditions, regarding solicitation, fees and expenses, and handling of participants' funds and securities, are explained in Securities Exchange Act Release No. 35041 (December 1, 1994), 59 FR 63393 ("1994 STA Letter"). Although Regulation M2 replaced Rule 10b-6 and superseded the 1994 STA Letter, the staff positions taken in this letter regarding the application of Section 15(a) of the Exchange Act remain in effect. See 17 CFR 242.102(c) and Securities Exchange Act Release No. 38067 (December 20, 1996), 62 FR 520, 532 n.100 (January 3, 1997).

6. Foreign Broker-Dealer Exemption (Rule 15a-6)

The SEC generally uses a territorial approach in applying registration requirements to the international operations of broker-dealers. Under this approach, all broker-dealers physically operating within the United States that induce or attempt to induce securities transactions must register with the SEC, even if their activities are directed only to foreign investors outside of the United States. In addition, foreign broker-dealers that, from outside of the United States, induce or attempt to induce securities transactions by any person in the United States, or that use the means or instrumentalities of interstate commerce of the United States for this purpose, also must register. This includes the use of the internet to offer securities, solicit securities transactions, or advertise investment services to U.S. persons. See Securities Exchange Act Release No. 39779 (March 23, 1998) http://www.sec.gov/rules/interp/33-7516.htm.

Foreign broker-dealers that limit their activities to those permitted under Rule 15a-6 of the Act, however, may be exempt from U.S. broker-dealer registration. Foreign broker-dealers that wish to rely on this exemption should review Securities Exchange Act Release No. 27017 (effective August 15, 1989), 54 FR 30013, to determine whether they meet the conditions of Rule 15a-6. See also letters re: Securities Activities of U.S.-Affiliated Foreign Dealers (April 9 and April 28, 1997). In addition, in April 2005, the Division of Market Regulation staff issued responses to frequently asked questions concerning Rule 15a-6 in relation to Regulation AC. See http://www.sec.gov/divisions/marketreg/mregacfaq0803.htm#partb. (Regulation AC is discussed in Part V.B, below.)

-----end-quote-----

The two interesting passages to me are one, "Issuers whose activities go beyond selling their own securities, however, need to consider whether they would need to register as broker-dealers. This includes issuers that purchase their securities from investors, as well as issuers that effectively operate markets in their own securities or in securities whose features or terms can change or be altered."

and two, "In addition, foreign broker-dealers that, from outside of the United States, induce or attempt to induce securities transactions by any person in the United States, or that use the means or instrumentalities of interstate commerce of the United States for this purpose, also must register. This includes the use of the internet to offer securities, solicit securities transactions, or advertise investment services to U.S. persons."

To me this seems to mean that operating the GLBSE or listing assets would only be illegal if you were physically located in the USA. Of course, the US has laws which prohibit it's citizens from committing crimes while they are abroad; but if you're not a US citizen and not physically present in the USA, it seems that the only way to be guilty of a crime is to sell secutiries to people living in the USA.

Opinions/comments?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 10:55:37 AM

Trading an unlicensed security for value is illegal. Question is, do Bitcoins have value?

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 11:01:00 AM

Trading an unlicensed security for value is illegal. Question is, do Bitcoins have value?

What if you sell glbse tokens for bitcoin and these tokens have no value but there is an exchange somewhere that trades them back to bitcoin off glbse itself? What if you create a version of bitcoin created by a private company and in their tos it says the cryptocurrency has no value and yet people still trade it ala linden dollars ? Technically once bitcoins become database coins they are no longer bitcoins.

GLBSE also didnt operate a currency exchange so you cant exchange bitcoins for real money.

pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:06:16 AM

What if you sell glbse tokens for bitcoin and these tokens have no value but there is an exchange somewhere that trades them back to bitcoin off glbse itself? What if you create a version of bitcoin created by a private company and in their tos it says the cryptocurrency has no value and yet people still trade it ala linden dollars ?
The moment someone is willing to pay/trade something with value for something without value, the thing without value has value.
If I'm willing to pay 10 euro for an empty bottle of air, that bottle of air has a value of 10 euro. Maybe I don't have enough euro's to buy all bottle's of air, but when I still have enough euro's to buy one bottle more, all bottle's have the potential value of 10 euro.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 11:11:17 AM

What if you sell glbse tokens for bitcoin and these tokens have no value but there is an exchange somewhere that trades them back to bitcoin off glbse itself? What if you create a version of bitcoin created by a private company and in their tos it says the cryptocurrency has no value and yet people still trade it ala linden dollars ?
The moment someone is willing to pay/trade something with value for something without value, the thing without value has value.
If I'm willing to pay 10 euro for an empty bottle of air, that bottle of air has a value of 10 euro. Maybe I don't have enough euro's to buy all bottle's of air, but when I still have enough euro's to buy one bottle more, all bottle's have the potential value of 10 euro.

No it doesnt. If I create a site and use shitcoins and someone else buys and sells them on ebay they still have no value because there is no company or state that you can redeem them for anything. They are worth 0 according to the laws.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 11:12:51 AM

Why is there a stock exchange in second life that has securities on it and the SEC hasnt sent linde labs to jail for 20 years ?

Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:24:22 AM

The two interesting passages to me are one, "Issuers whose activities go beyond selling their own securities, however, need to consider whether they would need to register as broker-dealers. This includes issuers that purchase their securities from investors, as well as issuers that effectively operate markets in their own securities or in securities whose features or terms can change or be altered."

and two, "In addition, foreign broker-dealers that, from outside of the United States, induce or attempt to induce securities transactions by any person in the United States, or that use the means or instrumentalities of interstate commerce of the United States for this purpose, also must register. This includes the use of the internet to offer securities, solicit securities transactions, or advertise investment services to U.S. persons."

To me this seems to mean that operating the GLBSE or listing assets would only be illegal if you were physically located in the USA. Of course, the US has laws which prohibit it's citizens from committing crimes while they are abroad; but if you're not a US citizen and not physically present in the USA, it seems that the only way to be guilty of a crime is to sell secutiries to people living in the USA.

Opinions/comments?

You'd only be guilty of an offence regulated by the SEC if you sold securities to someone in the USA (or were in the USA yourself).  If you sell to someone in a different country then it's the laws of that country (and your own) which apply.  Note that it's "in the USA" not "living in the USA" (which you said) - non-residents (visitors) are also covered.

Obviously if you aren't in the US and don't sell to individuals in the US then the SEC rules are totally irrelevant.  The laws in the UK (where I am and GLBSE are) on this happen to be very similar to the ones in the US - and you'll find very similar laws in most major economies.

Your last paragraph reads as though you believe the SEC has some global mandate - it doesn't.  Start with the laws of your own country to see what's legal there: I have no idea what Chinese law is on this (Believe you're in China as one of your posts included "Here in China..").
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 11:25:18 AM

How many EVE Online ponzi operators have been jailed for what they did in EVE Online?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 11:35:10 AM

How many EVE Online ponzi operators have been jailed for what they did in EVE Online?

-MarkM-

Probably none. have there been any diablo gold ponzis ?

Bitcoin isnt even money its a distributed ledger. Its not money simply because money is debt.

Deprived

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:35:55 AM

What if you sell glbse tokens for bitcoin and these tokens have no value but there is an exchange somewhere that trades them back to bitcoin off glbse itself? What if you create a version of bitcoin created by a private company and in their tos it says the cryptocurrency has no value and yet people still trade it ala linden dollars ? Technically once bitcoins become database coins they are no longer bitcoins.

GLBSE also didnt operate a currency exchange so you cant exchange bitcoins for real money.

I'm afraid you can't just get around laws by defining things as legal in your TOS.  Saying something "has no value" doesn't make it true - nor would it fool any regulators.  The key is intent - and all the time people whine about how many USD worth of BTC they've been scammed out of it's a totally meritless argument - as very clearly all involved understand the securities to have real convertible value.  It COULD be that an exchange like GLBSE could insulate itself sufficiently far from "value" as to be fine in itself - but then it would have to totally stay out of such areas as verifying identities, locking down scammers assets etc.  And it would also have to avoid any asset issuer making any mention of BTC raised being used to purchase stuff with USD (e.g. mining gear) in which asset purchasers would have an interest.

You may also be at risk of confusing "isn't against the law/rules" with "the rules/laws aren't yet being enforced on minor players".
Deprived

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:37:05 AM

-MarkM-

None I'd assume - scamming and cheating are (or certainly used to be) defined by the game's creators as a valid way of playing the game.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 11:39:16 AM

I'm afraid you can't just get around laws by defining things as legal in your TOS.  Saying something "has no value" doesn't make it true - nor would it fool any regulators.  The key is intent - and all the time people whine about how many USD worth of BTC they've been scammed out of it's a totally meritless argument - as very clearly all involved understand the securities to have real convertible value.  It COULD be that an exchange like GLBSE could insulate itself sufficiently far from "value" as to be fine in itself - but then it would have to totally stay out of such areas as verifying identities, locking down scammers assets etc.  And it would also have to avoid any asset issuer making any mention of BTC raised being used to purchase stuff with USD (e.g. mining gear) in which asset purchasers would have an interest.

You may also be at risk of confusing "isn't against the law/rules" with "the rules/laws aren't yet being enforced on minor players".

I have a sneaking suspicion that the verification stuff was what affected glbse the most.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 11:40:47 AM

None I'd assume - scamming and cheating are (or certainly used to be) defined by the game's creators as a valid way of playing the game.

Yet somehow I doubt defining robbing banks as a valid way of playing an Alternate Reality game would fly. Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:41:08 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2012, 12:50:20 PM by DeathAndTaxes

How can you possibly read the bolded section ....
Quote from: SEC
The SEC generally uses a territorial approach in applying registration requirements to the international operations of broker-dealers. Under this approach, all broker-dealers physically operating within the United States that induce or attempt to induce securities transactions must register with the SEC, even if their activities are directed only to foreign investors outside of the United States. In addition, foreign broker-dealers that, from outside of the United States, induce or attempt to induce securities transactions by any person in the United States, or that use the means or instrumentalities of interstate commerce of the United States for this purpose, also must register. This includes the use of the internet to offer securities, solicit securities transactions, or advertise investment services to U.S. persons. See Securities Exchange Act Release No. 39779 (March 23, 1998) http://www.sec.gov/rules/interp/33-7516.htm.

and reach this conclusion.

If you offer securities to US residents you fall under the jurisdiction of the SEC.  Also while everyone focuses on the SEC be aware that every other "first world" nation has similar laws and regulatory agencies.  So while as a foreigner offering securities to a Canadian the SEC wouldn't apply, the canadian equivelent of the SEC would.  Now you may say "who cares I don't live in the US" however that is a naive view to take.   When the DOJ began the "war on poker" it seized (with the help of host nations) assets, bank accounts, and individuals in 28 countries.   Many countries have treaty and working relationships with the US.

So really you have three options:
a) Silk Road model. Accept it is unlawful and break the law but do it in a way which make legal action difficult or impossible. 

b) Online Poker model. Setup shop in some offshore locations which doesn't care what the SEC thinks and offer securities from there. The risk here is that what is "safe" today may not be "safe" in the future.  You may need to exclude players investors from the most unfriendly countries to keep the risk acceptable.

c) MtGox model.  If you can't beat them, join them.  Work with the SEC (especially the upcoming Jobs Act "crowd funding" regulation).  Become regulated and licensed.  The largest risk here is the cost involved.  True compliance is likely significant and your offerings are going to be more limited than competitors going the a & b route.  You are risking a lot not only on Bitcoin but your ability to compete with "one hand tied behind your back".

Lastly (and I will repeat this because I think it helps to have a better high level view of the law) ....
The law isn't a video game you can beat with a combo-breaker or clever game rule exploit ("zerg rush").   A security is a security if a judge says it is.  Period.  I know it kinda a let down from all these lofty ideals but ultimately it comes down to what the guy in the robe thinks.  At best you and your legal counsel can sway his opinion but it is his opinion that matters. The law (both statute and case law) is simply a mechanism to make judicial decisions more expected.  You can hire legal counsel and their skill combined with knowledge from prior rulings can allow you to quantify the risk that a ruling will go against you.  Nothing is every 100% certain.  DC believed for 30 years their gun ban was constitutional and it was until one day it wasn't.  Ultimately it comes down to what a judge thinks.  You can't trick a judge through clever wordplay (all this "it isn't a security because .... bitcoin" nonsense).  If a judge feels the law applies then it applies (at least until you win an appeal).
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 11:55:16 AM

Cant you setup an investment club then pool your money in hardware ?

As long as you appoint officers and hold meetings etc I dont see an issue.

Deprived

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:55:32 AM

I have a sneaking suspicion that the verification stuff was what affected glbse the most.

Well it certainly wouldn't have helped - as requesting real life Identity information makes it rather plain they weren't running some game, simulation or educational tool.  Plus by closing down assets for investigation they also removed any possible of claiming they were something like an automated forum or just a publisher - where people dealt directly with one another: instead GLBSE arguably tried to fulfil a regulatory and/or intermediary role AND acted as an introducer (by choosing which applicants for IPOs got to be advertised on their site - rather than allowing all).

If there's ANY hope for BTC exchange to work without being regulated it has to be strictly hands-off.  Zero verification, zero restrictions (unless something is blatantly illegal) and argue that their role is simply one of a publisher/forum - where sellers and buyers (of whatever) do their own thing unsupervised (like the securities/loans section of this very board).  That would still leave the question of taking deposits - but the argument there would be that BTC isn't actually a currency so there's no requirement to be regulated as a deposit-taker.  I'm by no means convinced even that approach is bullet-proof - but it's far better than where GLBSE ended up.  As soon as you start taking ANY ID you open a huge can of worms - as taking that ID is an admission or claim that what YOU do requires ID.  Similarly by doing ANY investigation of the product of sellers you lose deniability over what's being sold - and expose yourself to claims of bad faith/lack of due diligence from buyers.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 12:00:26 PM

Well it certainly wouldn't have helped - as requesting real life Identity information makes it rather plain they weren't running some game, simulation or educational tool.  Plus by closing down assets for investigation they also removed any possible of claiming they were something like an automated forum or just a publisher - where people dealt directly with one another: instead GLBSE arguably tried to fulfil a regulatory and/or intermediary role AND acted as an introducer (by choosing which applicants for IPOs got to be advertised on their site - rather than allowing all).

If there's ANY hope for BTC exchange to work without being regulated it has to be strictly hands-off.  Zero verification, zero restrictions (unless something is blatantly illegal) and argue that their role is simply one of a publisher/forum - where sellers and buyers (of whatever) do their own thing unsupervised (like the securities/loans section of this very board).  That would still leave the question of taking deposits - but the argument there would be that BTC isn't actually a currency so there's no requirement to be regulated as a deposit-taker.  I'm by no means convinced even that approach is bullet-proof - but it's far better than where GLBSE ended up.  As soon as you start taking ANY ID you open a huge can of worms - as taking that ID is an admission or claim that what YOU do requires ID.  Similarly by doing ANY investigation of the product of sellers you lose deniability over what's being sold - and expose yourself to claims of bad faith/lack of due diligence from buyers.

This makes some sense. Unfortunately that is virtually impossible to work and pretty soon it would be a complete cesspool.

Deprived

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 12:02:23 PM

Yes you can - provided you mean certain criteria (which may vary depending on your country).

Typically those criteria include some of the following:

1.  Personally knowing the investors (and not advertising the investment).
2.  Only using Accredited investors (definiton of which varies from country to country - think US is based only on net-worth/income, UK/EU it also means they have significant financial knowledge/experience).
3.  A max invetsment size,
4.  A max number of investors.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 12:10:42 PM

Yes you can - provided you mean certain criteria (which may vary depending on your country).

Typically those criteria include some of the following:

1.  Personally knowing the investors (and not advertising the investment).
2.  Only using Accredited investors (definiton of which varies from country to country - think US is based only on net-worth/income, UK/EU it also means they have significant financial knowledge/experience).
3.  A max invetsment size,
4.  A max number of investors.

I used to be in a mining company that did just that. In fact it was the first ever mining co op  Smiley

What do you consider advertising ?  Posting on the forum to get expressions of interest ?

This wasnt a registered investment group by any means just a way to pool our resources.

Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 12:17:52 PM

The issue here is the requirement for sophisticated investors. In the US that means a net worth of >$2.5 million  $1M excluding your residence:
http://www.sec.gov/answers/accred.htm
You wont find too many of those on these forums.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: