Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:00:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Releases Renderings of New BFL Single WaterBlock and Heat Sink  (Read 6052 times)
abeaulieu (OP)

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 02:21:44 PM

From there Facebook page, here:
https://www.facebook.com/ButterflyLabs
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 02:49:23 PM

They have 3 weeks left to demonstrate a working product and start shipping.
sLide.

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 02:57:53 PM

Let's hope that happens!

Aim - Slide.0
1J6UeiXtBYXmpA6uajRs3aJpUD1Tsj1CF3 - Tips?
YokoToriyama

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:06:44 PM

i wonder if they will ship the water block later or if that will delay production
abeaulieu (OP)

Activity: 295

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:14:07 PM

Both cooling devices look to be quite compatible with their preliminary Single SC layout  Wink

squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:22:23 PM

It's a scam. Water cooling doesn't exist. You guys are so gullible.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:31:51 PM

I find it interesting that BFL states that these ASICs are very heat tolerant, which to me means they run pretty cool, yet they go and develop a waterblock for it.

It could mean a couple of things: like they missed their thermal envelope, they will use it in the SC mini-rig to reduce fan numbers and noise (plausible), or maybe just for the cool factor.

I for one am very curious as I am a watercooling junkie.  Smiley

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:39:23 PM

I can totally tell it's photoshopped... from the pixels.

Seriously though. I wonder how long it takes to render that plastic looking shiny thing with my gpu based mining rig.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:47:50 PM

I think it's not a stretch to have the minirig SC be watercooled. 1500W is a lot of heat to dissipate.
Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:56:08 PM

I think it's not a stretch to have the minirig SC be watercooled. 1500W is a lot of heat to dissipate.

That is basically what this blog post is hinting at: http://codinginmysleep.com/more-bfl-product-renders/

The water blocks are most likely for the larger rigs for density. It would be nice to have for the single though since my PC has plenty of radiator for another heat source.
bitmar

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:59:17 PM

I can totally tell it's photoshopped... from the pixels.
photoshop? you sure? you're wrong, projects be designed in CAD​​, as I guess. Smiley

Seriously though. I wonder how long it takes to render that plastic looking shiny thing with my gpu based mining rig.

3 weeks with shipping Smiley
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:09:37 PM

I find it interesting that BFL states that these ASICs are very heat tolerant, which to me means they run pretty cool, yet they go and develop a waterblock for it.

It could mean a couple of things: like they missed their thermal envelope, they will use it in the SC mini-rig to reduce fan numbers and noise (plausible), or maybe just for the cool factor.

That also didn't make sense to me.

Why cool something like that if it runs very cool and hardly consumes any electricity?

Is it for overclocking the chip or are there hidden features (deactivated sub-cores) hidden inside each die?
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:18:58 PM

If this is a real snapshot of the BFL ASIC miner development progress, we will not see BFL ASICs in october nor in november. Undecided
bitmar

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:23:26 PM

If this is a real snapshot of the BFL ASIC miner development progress, we will not see BFL ASICs in october nor in november. Undecided

it's not hard to guess. Still must be time for product testing phase before mass production. January, February, March? we'll see. it's better late than never
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:29:33 PM

You put 25 of those boards spaced 1" apart in a box, that's gonna be tough to cool with air.
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

You put 25 of those boards spaced 1" apart in a box, that's gonna be tough to cool with air.

Totally agree, it has to be for the minirig.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:35:31 PM

So rather than a MR having 25 SC Single boards to make 1.5TH/s, I wonder if they've OC'd and WC'd 15 boards to 100GH/s each.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:38:21 PM

I don't see why you can't, they did it with the FPGA mini-rig with 18 boards. It should be possible to do again if the thermals are similar.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:40:40 PM

it's not hard to guess. Still must be time for product testing phase before mass production. January, February, March? we'll see. it's better late than never

If the ASIC vendors are right with their performance estimations, beeing late is only slightly better than deliver never. The early bird catches the worm.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:42:53 PM

If the ASIC vendors are right with their performance estimations, beeing late is only slightly better than deliver never. The early bird catches the worm.
Only if you're interested in a 10-day break-even point.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: