Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:40:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC fork to work with another ALGO  (Read 559 times)
dannyprats (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:15:49 PM

Hi guys..

I've been thinking about this a long time ago:
Is there any possibility of using an ASIC hardware to work with other algorithms?
If this is open-source, maybe you can make a fork, modify and adapt the software-hardware for mining another algorithms.

What do you think about that? Is that possible?  Huh Huh
I mean .. all ASIC hardware has multiple CPUs-chips and memory that could be recycled. Especially older hardware ASIC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 09:24:38 PM

No, that's the whole point of ASICs, they only do one thing.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:26:48 PM

Hi guys..

I've been thinking about this a long time ago:
Is there any possibility of using an ASIC hardware to work with other algorithms?
If this is open-source, maybe you can make a fork, modify and adapt the software-hardware for mining another algorithms.

What do you think about that? Is that possible?  Huh Huh
I mean .. all ASIC hardware has multiple CPUs-chips and memory that could be recycled. Especially older hardware ASIC

They do SHA256 algo.  So if an alt of that yes... you could.  But no you cant really recycle it into lets say scrypt.

But most alt's are not worth mining.  BTC is really the most worth while.  Older asics normally go to cheaper electricity places until they are worthless.  But normally they have multiple owners at this point.
dannyprats (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 10:03:57 PM

Ok.. I understand.. thanks for your quick reply!
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 09:06:06 AM

ASIC are specific to the algorythm they are designed to work with - that's the "SPECIFIC" part of what ASIC stands for.

FPGAs could be reprogramed for different algorythms, but the are a lot less efficient than a part hard-wired for maximal efficiency at one particular usage.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: