Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:47:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Bitcoin addresses  (Read 1125 times)
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:40:26 PM

Sorry I get a feeling this isnt the right place to post this but I don't know where else. Basically I have a mac/ bit of a noob and I want to mine custom bitcoin addresses for a physical bitcoin project. Can anyone help out how to do this please?
Thanks!

To peel or not to peel.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hodedowe

Activity: 359
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:52:39 PM

Sorry I get a feeling this isnt the right place to post this but I don't know where else. Basically I have a mac/ bit of a noob and I want to mine custom bitcoin addresses for a physical bitcoin project. Can anyone help out how to do this please?
Thanks!

Vanity generator can make you a custom address. Then you just add it to your wallet and mine to that address and volia you have coins there. Is that what you mean?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25804.0

Solo mining is alive and profitable!
Helped? Thanks! 1CXRFh4bDVFBsUzoHMMDbTMPcBP14RUTus
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:55:16 PM

Ah great. I just get stuck at this:
Get the source from GitHub.  Includes Makefiles for Linux and Mac OS X.
I have no idea what to do with them.

To peel or not to peel.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:11:08 PM

Look on that link there is windows version's.   So it will work there.  A big thing is what you want address to be.

Keep in mind the longer you make it the harder it becomes.  I think 8 is highest most even offer for very high.    How long is the custom part your wanting? 
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:15:53 PM

Look on that link there is windows version's.   So it will work there.  A big thing is what you want address to be.

Keep in mind the longer you make it the harder it becomes.  I think 8 is highest most even offer for very high.    How long is the custom part your wanting? 

sure thanks I don't have a windows machine though Sad

To peel or not to peel.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:26:56 PM

What OS are you using then?  Also keep in mind you should really not make a address on a computer if it's used daily for surfing, etc.
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:33:19 PM

What OS are you using then?  Also keep in mind you should really not make a address on a computer if it's used daily for surfing, etc.

I am running Yosemite. I make physical bitcoins so have an offline mac I use to generate addresses. I can transfer everything with a USB key. But don't know how to do it

To peel or not to peel.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 08:13:40 PM

I am running Yosemite. I make physical bitcoins so have an offline mac I use to generate addresses. I can transfer everything with a USB key. But don't know how to do it

You were pointed to the program and place above:

Thanks!

Vanity generator can make you a custom address. Then you just add it to your wallet and mine to that address and volia you have coins there. Is that what you mean?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25804.0

Vanity generator does what your wanting.
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 09:46:35 PM

If anyone can help me set this up on my mac I would pay a bounty Wink

To peel or not to peel.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 06:59:06 AM

You could just use a live linux CD/USB.  Load it up and run vanity generator.   

Is this a desktop or laptop you are running on?   
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:07:07 AM

Its a laptop. I have a 2010 Mackbook pro I use. How would I go about creating one of those? It sounds like a solution though.

To peel or not to peel.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 09:56:29 AM

Its a laptop. I have a 2010 Mackbook pro I use. How would I go about creating one of those? It sounds like a solution though.

I suggest HIGHLY doing it on a desktop with decent GPU.  If it is a long one it could take day's all depnds on many factors.

But research live usb distro's if you really want to do it on the laptop.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2015, 01:07:15 PM

I've posted a pretty detailed writeup on how to get vanitygen up and running on a Mac.  Let me find that for you and I'll post the link here...

Here it is: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1110394.0

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 01:11:31 PM

I've posted a pretty detailed writeup on how to get vanitygen up and running on a Mac.  Let me find that for you and I'll post the link here...

Aw that would be awesome thanks Smiley I tried this http://www.stanley-adams.co.uk/2013/12/custom-vanity-bitcoin-address/
But I failed

To peel or not to peel.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 03:36:36 PM

I've posted a pretty detailed writeup on how to get vanitygen up and running on a Mac.  Let me find that for you and I'll post the link here...

Aw that would be awesome thanks Smiley I tried this http://www.stanley-adams.co.uk/2013/12/custom-vanity-bitcoin-address/
But I failed

At what part did you fail?   Was it a certain command?

We need more info to help Smiley
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 03:44:06 PM

But I failed

This will open the file in text TextEdit. To change the $PATH environment variable, put the following code at the end of the file:

I got here and the text edit opened but it was a blank file.

So I added the code to a blank page. I presume it isnt right,

To peel or not to peel.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:40:32 PM

But I failed

This will open the file in text TextEdit. To change the $PATH environment variable, put the following code at the end of the file:

I got here and the text edit opened but it was a blank file.

So I added the code to a blank page. I presume it isnt right,

With how much trouble your having do you have any access to any windows PC's?   Using a precomplied windows one is going to be easier if you cant get through it.

If not look at ubuntu live usb.  Try the linux route just make SURE to print and make a few copies of the private key as you don't want to loose the private key when you shutdown the live usb.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2015, 05:06:41 PM

But I failed
I edited my post... not sure if you got the link, so here it is again: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1110394.0

Basically you need to install developer tools so you have the proper utilities to compile and build the vanitygen tool.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:26:07 PM

So for a no obligation how would the live usb work? I load Ubuntu in a vm and plug in the usb? Are there any guides that you know of?

To peel or not to peel.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:01:08 PM

So for a no obligation how would the live usb work? I load Ubuntu in a vm and plug in the usb? Are there any guides that you know of?

Here if for ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Make sure when starting after booting to ubuntu screen you pick it's like test ubuntu or something like that.  Do not click on the install and blow away computer drive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: