Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:59:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the Bitcoin Alert Keys be passed to Andreas M. Antonopoulos?
Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition to pass the Bitcoin Alert Keys to Andreas M. Antonopoulos (w/POLL)  (Read 2793 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:42:02 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2015, 09:09:56 PM by Gleb Gamow

Please vote if you desire or not for Andreas M. Antonopoulos to have the Bitcoin Alert Keys currently being held by Satoshi, Gavin Andresen, and theymos.

EDIT: This is provin' to be interesting and unexpected. Please continue the convo, guys, and thanks for the inputs.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:42:58 PM

wtf

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:44:05 PM

wtf

Ref: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1162684.0
brg444

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:46:21 PM

what are Andreas credentials? breaking blockchain.info? posting btc stealing malware on twitter?

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:47:12 PM

Fuck No!

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 08:48:50 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2015, 09:03:13 PM by LaudaM

AFAIK the keys are not only held by three people. They are held by more, but I'm not sure if that information is public. I would not mind Andreas having a key. If we were to give access to this information to someone, then Andreas would be a great candidate (if not the best).

Off topic: A lot of people probably don't like him for various reasons. I think that he is in the group of handful people that know almost everything (impossible) about Bitcoin.
Update: That was my opinion. I could be wrong. Everyone does make bad comments from time to time though.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
brg444

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:53:32 PM

AFAIK the keys are not only held by three people. They are held by more, but I'm not sure if that information is public. I would not mind Andreas having a key. If we were to give access to this information to someone, then Andreas would be a great candidate (if not the best).

Off topic: A lot of people probably don't like him for various reasons. I think that he is in the group of handful people that know almost everything (impossible) about Bitcoin.

I am quite convinced this is absolutely wrong.

He's made a couple of head scratching comments over the years.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:09:08 PM

Please vote if you desire or not for Andreas M. Antonopoulos to have the Bitcoin Alert Keys currently being held by Satoshi, Gavin Andresen, and theymos.

This makes no sense. No one's Alert Key should be "taken away" unless they willfully abuse it or improperly use it.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:10:53 PM

I don't honestly see what Andreas Antonopoulos can have with these keys. I mean I love the men, I love the way he speaks about Bitcoin and represents the community, I love his dedication and knowledge, but what alert messages will he be sending for God's sake?

These keys need to rest in the sole possession of the devs and Bitcoin creators, just like they were until now.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:14:04 PM

EDIT: This is provin' to be interesting and unexpected. Please continue the convo, guys, and thanks for the inputs.

while we're at it lets make Mark karpeles and Ross ulbricht become Bitcoin jail pen pals because it just makes so much sense you know?

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 09:16:16 PM

This makes no sense. No one's Alert Key should be "taken away" unless they willfully abuse it or improperly use it.
He doesn't have one yet. The poll is for whether he should get one. Nothing is being taken away.

I don't honestly see what Andreas Antonopoulos can have with these keys. I mean I love the men, I love the way he speaks about Bitcoin and represents the community, I love his dedication and knowledge, but what alert messages will he be sending for God's sake?

These keys need to rest in the sole possession of the devs and Bitcoin creators, just like they were until now.
I agree with this statement, but then why does theymos have an alert key?

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:37:13 PM

I agree with this statement, but then why does theymos have an alert key?

There must be a reason. He's here from beginning so there is a big trust in him by the whole Bitcoin community.

The other reason that comes to my mind is what if something is to happen to Gavin? On the top of that we don't even know is Satoshi alive. You have to have third person with the keys just in case. You have to spread out the risk between the people.

3rd reason! I don't have an explanation! Smiley
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:39:13 PM

He doesn't have one yet. The poll is for whether he should get one. Nothing is being taken away.

I read Gleb Gamow's statement above to say something to the effect of:
Take these people out of the Alert Key code in the protocol and add a new one for Antonopoulos.

I understood it from this line: "to have the Bitcoin Alert Keys currently being held".
But maybe Gleb meant "to have like".

Edit: Just as a concept, in relation to Mickeyb's comment above me, maybe there should be a Tier 2 Alert Key system added.
It has limited capability, but in times of emergency can send a message.
Maybe allow five Tier 2 Alert keys. Give Antonopoulos one of those. But this is just my noobish opinion.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:48:14 PM

Why not? He's been a true Bitcoin advocate and generally a trustworthy member of the community. Also, Satoshi is not here, and only two people currently hold the keys, apparently, so no harm in having more one or two people with the key.

Now the question is: would he accept such a responsibility?
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:52:21 PM

just an idea: wouldnt it be great if everybody could just edit the keys as he wishes?
eg. some people are the defaults but other can offer an alerting service too.

and anybody can decide which he wants to trust with alerts.

one question: are there different alert keys per person? are all alert keys needed to send an alert or is one sufficient?

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 09:56:06 PM

Why not? He's been a true Bitcoin advocate and generally a trustworthy member of the community. Also, Satoshi is not here, and only two people currently hold the keys, apparently, so no harm in having more one or two people with the key.

More than just two people hold the keys. I believe that gmaxwell does also and probably all of the Core devs. But you won't find a list of all of the people who hold the keys. That is for their personal safety.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 10:08:41 PM

More than just two people hold the keys. I believe that gmaxwell does also and probably all of the Core devs. But you won't find a list of all of the people who hold the keys. That is for their personal safety.

So the people known to hold the key have revealed themselves, at their responsibility, that they do so? The keys were secretly distributed?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 10:13:29 PM

So the people known to hold the key have revealed themselves, at their responsibility, that they do so? The keys were secretly distributed?
They aren't going around saying that they hold the alert key (well some might have explicitly admitted it). But it can be inferred that the Core devs do, and some statements by some of the devs (e.g. gmaxwell) imply that they do hold the alert key. It seems that the general consensus is to not reveal all of the people with the key to protect them. If they do reveal themselves, then that is their own problem.

I suppose that they are secretly distributed, but I wouldn't know. I would assume that the devs discuss it privately before giving the key to another person.

suda123

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 10:29:17 PM

wtf is this
TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 11:13:07 PM

I have nothing against Andreas , but no.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: