Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 06:03:50 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I WANT TO DO IT!  (Read 748 times)
adamscarpentry (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 02:12:41 AM

Where do I start?

Should I download the wallet to my PC?
-I here many people saying not to use Windows
-What happens when I buy a new computer or drop mine in the toilet? Does the wallet transfer to another computer when I download it?
-Should I use and online wallet? Can I change from an online wallet to a PC wallet or the other way around?

I need a simple first step.

Thanks.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 02:15:57 AM

http://blockchain.info/wallet

You're welcome.

As for your last question, yes, but only with blockchain.info since its just a javascript interface to your own individual Bitcoin wallet.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 02:10:15 PM

-What happens when I buy a new computer or drop mine in the toilet? Does the wallet transfer to another computer when I download

The first thing you need to do is make a backup of your wallet on a USB drive or something else in order to recover your coin if you drop your computer in the toilet.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4672

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 02:31:08 PM

The first thing you need to do is make a backup of your wallet on a USB drive or something else in order to recover your coin if you drop your computer in the toilet.
The OP doesn't even have a wallet yet, so making a backup can't be the "first" thing to do.

Adamscarpentry,  I'd say that the first thing you need to do is give some thought to your own technical abilities, patience, and risk tolerance.  Once you've done that, you need to take a look at a few of the wallet solutions available, learn what their benefits and limitations are, and then decide for yourself which one best fits with what you have determined about yourself.

A few to look at are:

Electrum
Armory
Blockchain.info
Bitcoin-qt / bitcoind

Dancing Dan

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 07:41:33 PM

The first step is to understand and believe the magic of the Bitcoin.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 07:48:06 PM

Regarding dropping your computer in the toilet.... do you have a netbook or something?  I'm going to take a wild guess and say the average "full size" laptop isn't going to fit in the toilet seat hole.  And if you're taking a full rig into the bathroom with you, and have it precariously balanced above the toilet, in all likelihood, it would break the toilet apart whilist falling upon it, negating the effects that the almost-drowning would have caused.  Or, perhaps we are discussing semantics, and you refer to your smartphone as your computer.  In which case, do you know the dangers?

As a wise man once said...

When you store bitcoins on your phone, and your phone is lost, you get irritable.
When you get irritable, your work suffers.
When your work suffers, the wrong man is convicted.
When the wrong mad is convicted, he has time to think.
When he has time to think, he thinks about you, a lot.
And when he thinks about you a lot, your house explodes.
Don’t have your house explode. Get rid of bitcoins on your phone. And store them in a paper wallet.
warbdan

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 09:33:42 PM

Regarding dropping your computer in the toilet.... do you have a netbook or something?  I'm going to take a wild guess and say the average "full size" laptop isn't going to fit in the toilet seat hole.  And if you're taking a full rig into the bathroom with you, and have it precariously balanced above the toilet, in all likelihood, it would break the toilet apart whilist falling upon it, negating the effects that the almost-drowning would have caused.  Or, perhaps we are discussing semantics, and you refer to your smartphone as your computer.  In which case, do you know the dangers?

As a wise man once said...

When you store bitcoins on your phone, and your phone is lost, you get irritable.
When you get irritable, your work suffers.
When your work suffers, the wrong man is convicted.
When the wrong mad is convicted, he has time to think.
When he has time to think, he thinks about you, a lot.
And when he thinks about you a lot, your house explodes.
Don’t have your house explode. Get rid of bitcoins on your phone. And store them in a paper wallet.

LOL Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: