Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:35:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice needed from people who own APW3-12-1600 PSU  (Read 889 times)
coinbeast (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 06:41:42 AM

I intended to power all 3 S7 hashing boards with one APW3-12-1600 PSU
But bitmain says it comes with only 6 pcie connectors. If I power all 3 boards with one psu it will only have 2 connectors per board (separate psu for controllers).

Bitmain says 3 connectors are needed per hashing board.

I need to figure out if this is right. Because it doesn't add up... On one hand bitmain says one psu can power 2 S5's 
At 1180w but can't power a 1250w S7.

To cut this post short, can someone please tell me the awg of the cables that come with the APW3-12-1600 PSU
Please?
beffje

Activity: 71

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 06:48:12 AM

It's 6 dubble ones. So it will work fine.
http://www.cybtc.org/article-86-1.html
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 07:00:36 AM

I intended to power all 3 S7 hashing boards with one APW3-12-1600 PSU
But bitmain says it comes with only 6 pcie connectors. If I power all 3 boards with one psu it will only have 2 connectors per board (separate psu for controllers).

Bitmain says 3 connectors are needed per hashing board.

I need to figure out if this is right. Because it doesn't add up... On one hand bitmain says one psu can power 2 S5's  
At 1180w but can't power a 1250w S7.

To cut this post short, can someone please tell me the awg of the cables that come with the APW3-12-1600 PSU
Please?

Its 18AWG iirc, but as the previous user said, there are 12 PCI-e connectors wired to 6 cables. And yes it will work fine. The 3rd connector is there for a safety margin.

As always, plug it, let it run for a while, check if cables are burning.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
coinbeast (OP)

Activity: 68

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 07:33:20 AM

Sweet, thanks for your help
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 09:28:53 PM

I have had great luck with them so far.  Have been using with my S5+.  Finally gave me a reason to use my 240.

But you will have no problem with this working with S7.  Main thing is that you don't try to use 110/120 as it's not enough to power up PSU.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 09:39:34 PM

I have had great luck with them so far.  Have been using with my S5+.  Finally gave me a reason to use my 240.

But you will have no problem with this working with S7.  Main thing is that you don't try to use 110/120 as it's not enough to power up PSU.

Since OP's problem is resolve i'll hijack this thread.

Is the psu that loud? I know compared to the S5+ its probably negligible but i could be interested in using it for S5's and i can run them nearly silent during winter. The PSU i have doesn't control fan with its temp but with its current load. Which make it still loud as fuck even if its very cool, while under load. Very annoying and is the sole reason i'm buying only ATX PSU atm.

Is the Bitmain's PSU the same?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 09:46:19 PM

Is the psu that loud? I know compared to the S5+ its probably negligible but i could be interested in using it for S5's and i can run them nearly silent during winter. The PSU i have doesn't control fan with its temp but with its current load. Which make it still loud as fuck even if its very cool, while under load. Very annoying and is the sole reason i'm buying only ATX PSU atm.

My mining area is very loud.  So hard for me to give an accurate read on it.  I have not had those cold winter day's yet either.

The best is cybtc that I have seen on sound testing and he said "68dBa".  You can google that to get some comparisons. 
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:14:17 PM

It has a high pitch whine which could be over heard above my S4.  If that helps.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:23:41 PM

It has a high pitch whine which could be over heard above my S4.  If that helps.

Yeah its the same as the one i have but if they are not under high load, they are pretty quiet. Basically if they have a high pitch when from the time they start, and they don't go down before going up as the miner start mining, then its always at full blast. Which is exactly what i do not want.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:28:38 PM

Yeah its the same as the one i have but if they are not under high load, they are pretty quiet. Basically if they have a high pitch when from the time they start, and they don't go down before going up as the miner start mining, then its always at full blast. Which is exactly what i do not want.

If your going for quiet I think you will keep buying ATX.   Server PSU's have are becoming much more popular, but with server psu normally server data centers don't care about noise.

I am lucky to have an area where sound is not an issue.   But I still love my RM1000's as far as sound... those were quiet PSU's.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 04:48:00 PM

If your going for quiet I think you will keep buying ATX.   Server PSU's have are becoming much more popular, but with server psu normally server data centers don't care about noise.

I am lucky to have an area where sound is not an issue.   But I still love my RM1000's as far as sound... those were quiet PSU's.

Very well. Okay thanks. I will stick to EVGA G2, since they are comparatively silent, rock solid stable, above gold efficiency, not TOO expensive, modular and 10 years warranty.

On the bright side, the Platinum server psu i got from Quakefiends aren't really noisy at 50%~ load and i didn't pay TOO much.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀