Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:16:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to move one wallet to a new computer  (Read 2305 times)
Cryptonitex (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 09:41:15 PM

I've had it with Windows 10 and decided to rid myself of Windows 10 and move to Ubuntu as my main operating system. However I'll still run Windows 8.1 in VirtualBox for my Windows needs. This being said, I am clueless when it comes to moving the wallets and my funds from one operating system, one wallet to the same machine, just a different operating system.

What I plan to do is delete Windows from my hard drive and install the new wallet to my Linux operating system. What I would like to properly do is completely move the wallet I have, and keep all the same addresses so I won't forget when I buy more that they changed so I don't accidentally send them to the wrong address.

Thing is I want to be sure I do this right. If moving the wallet is to complex then I'll be okay with a new wallet, it's the funds I care about.

What is the proper way to do this? I do have a back up of my Wallet.dat on a USB. Could I just go ahead and remove Windows and install Ubuntu and the new wallet and recover the wallet using my backup? OR is there a different process to this? Are there more files that need to be copied? Would it be safer to transfer all my funds to my mobile wallet just in case?

Someone help me haha
tanoury

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 03:05:21 AM
Last edit: September 16, 2015, 05:18:33 AM by tanoury

I have done this many times between ubuntu systems. Just copy your wallet folder to your new ubuntu user/home directory. And copy your Wallet.dat folder to your new home/user/.coinname folder.

But since you're moving between Windows and ubuntu this won't work, because Windows binaries won't execute on ubuntu. You will probably need to install a new wallet on your ubuntu system then send your coins from your windows wallet to your ubuntu wallet.  
Cryptonitex (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 03:07:15 AM

I have done this many times between ubuntu systems. Just copy your wallet folder to your new ubuntu user/home directory. And copy your Wallet.dat folder to your new user/home./coinname folder.

But since you're moving between Windows and ubuntu this won't work, because Windows binaries won't execute on ubuntu. You will probably need to install a new wallet on your ubuntu system then send your coins from your windows wallet to your ubuntu wallet. 

So the wallet.dat will only backup for Windows right?

Could I send the funds to a cold wallet and recover them from ubuntu that way? Or should I send them to my Android wallet (Skeptical about that) and send from android to ubuntu?
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 03:40:14 AM
Last edit: September 16, 2015, 03:54:56 AM by bit1

I have done this many times between ubuntu systems. Just copy your wallet folder to your new ubuntu user/home directory. And copy your Wallet.dat folder to your new user/home./coinname folder.

Could I send the funds to a cold wallet and recover them from ubuntu that way? Or should I send them to my Android wallet (Skeptical about that) and send from android to ubuntu?

In both ways you could create a copy-paste of your wallet.dat on a usb. After you can  send the  funds to  a  online wallet or use the adress of any exchange that you use. but be very careful typing the adresses to send and receive, If you make a mistake the coins dont can be refunded on almost cases if you send these to any wrong adress. If you have time you can try only copy-paste again on ubuntu, If this dont work you will need use windows to do: windows-->another online wallet or exchange-->ubuntu , On both cases you could re-download the entire blockchain, If you are talking about BTC it will take several days.
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2015, 03:47:09 AM

Your wallet.dat will work on any platform.

tanoury

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 03:56:13 AM

Yes, there are other posts that do suggest the dat file is interchangable between OSs
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/20599/is-wallet-dat-transferable-between-os
mullick
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 05:14:51 AM

Yes, there are other posts that do suggest the dat file is interchangable between OSs
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/20599/is-wallet-dat-transferable-between-os

Copy C:/users/username/appdata/roaming/bitcoin/wallet.dat to /home/username/.bitcoin/wallet.dat
Cryptonitex (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 11:29:53 PM

Thanks for all the comments

I ended up making a new wallet to hold the funds while I change the OS and then I'll send it to my new wallet. But it's a good thing to know that I can use the .dat file for any OS. Now I'm having other issues with Ubuntu with downloading the wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: