Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:48:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT Post Mortem - Group Discussion  (Read 5805 times)
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:26:00 PM

To put it short: Gavincoin died because it was a repulsive piece of shit same as its creators and supporters; to break it down to one sentence.

Rather succint, I'd say. The XT redditard army being the loudest voices and their inability to act like adults clearly altered some people's perceptions of it.

Adults don't use censorship  Roll Eyes

Indeed, it's not called censorship, but moderation  Smiley

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
siameze
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:26:03 PM

To put it short: Gavincoin died because it was a repulsive piece of shit same as its creators and supporters; to break it down to one sentence.

Rather succint, I'd say. The XT redditard army being the loudest voices and their inability to act like adults clearly altered some people's perceptions of it.

I still fail to see how theymos censored anything. BitcoinXT isn't official bitcoin, so admin had every right to remove such posts as "off-topic".

Any derp can make a subreddit, and simply go and discuss it there with like-minded individuals. r/bitcoin certainly isn't the end-all authority on bitcoin.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:26:44 PM

still don't get why people are raging against the machine with this topic.
Its pretty funny actually.

For most people who want bigger blocks, it was never about XT.
XT just happenes to implement bip 101.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:29:04 PM

I still fail to see how theymos censored anything. BitcoinXT isn't official bitcoin, so admin had every right to remove such posts as "off-topic".

Any derp can make a subreddit, and simply go and discuss it there with like-minded individuals. r/bitcoin certainly isn't the end-all authority on bitcoin.

BitcoinXT is as much bitcoin as bitcoin core. Using censorship is a behaviour for panicked children.

brg444

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:32:20 PM

BitcoinXT is as much bitcoin as bitcoin core. Using censorship is a behaviour for panicked children.

No, moderation is a tool to get rid of propaganda. Worked exceptionally well  Smiley

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:33:28 PM

No, moderation is a tool to get rid of propaganda. Worked exceptionally well  Smiley

Worked well for the other propagandists yeah. Not very reassuring honestly.

sell sell sell

brg444

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:49:18 PM

Adults don't use censorship  Roll Eyes

No, moderation is a tool to get rid of propaganda. Worked exceptionally well  Smiley

sell sell sell

you first  Smiley

Biomech
Legendary

Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:52:57 PM

Watching from the outside, this whole thing seemed rather stupid.

XT was not a well founded attack, but an attempt to force the changes that the XT crowd wanted WHETHER OR NOT it had merit. On the other side, the Core people pretty much responded in the same manner.

What I failed to see on either side was much in the way of sane discussion. I am of the opinion that blocksize needs to increase. Not infinitely, and not with a shitload of other changes that *appear* to be designed to monitor bitcoin. Whether or not that appearance is reality is hard to tell within all of the poorly constructed strawmen, ad-hominem attacks, slippery slopes, red herrings... Hell, I don't think there's a logical fallacy that hasn't been employed in this debate.

What we were short on from day one was facts. The abysmal responses on both sides pretty much turned a technical argument into a political one, and that solved precisely nothing. If this is the way that changes or evolution to Bitcoin are handled by the current team(s), then neither side has any business making those decisions. Further, if this sort of spectacle continues, some people will quietly go to work and subvert and surpass bitcoin. It's first mover advantage will not and cannot last forever. BTC currently couldn't replace 5% of VISA's daily average, and that is a valid concern. But it's also not something catastrophic unless a major nation makes bitcoin it's legal currency. There is time for reasonable debate. Now we just need some.

EDIT: Why is reddit, with it's basically unreadable format circa BBS's of the 1970's, so damned important anyway?
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:58:57 PM

No, moderation is a tool to get rid of propaganda. Worked exceptionally well  Smiley

sell sell sell

you first  Smiley

Already done a few days ago.

brg444

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:14:47 PM

sell sell sell

you first  Smiley

Great!

When are you leaving us as well  Huh

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:15:49 PM

I always saw Bitcoin XT as an attempt of kidnapping Bitcoin, even if Gavin and Mike had the reason and were right in all that they claimed(and they were far from right).

If they have succeeded this would just set the precedent in my opinion. And then we would see other changes coming into Bitcoin, whether the community wanted them or not. This was a real danger in my eyes and that's why I never gave my vote for the XT.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:16:07 PM

sell sell sell

you first  Smiley

Great!

When are you leaving us as well  Huh

Not until bitcoin goes to 0. There is still money to be made with short selling you know?  Cool

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:28:56 PM

To the people in this thread suggesting that XT is an attack (or bad in some other way): is this because you think that we should only have one implementation of the protocol (Core), or do you support multiple implementations (just not XT)?

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
brg444

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:32:11 PM

To the people in this thread suggesting that XT is an attack (or bad in some other way): is this because you think that we should only have one implementation of the protocol (Core), or do you support multiple implementations (just not XT)?

If Bitcoin XT would wreck their BIP101 project everyone would be fine with it. Sure, if someone wants to run blacklists and what not on their nodes who are we to stop them  Smiley

But right now they're trying to fork the protocol, that's a big no-no  Angry

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:37:19 PM

If Bitcoin XT would wreck their BIP101 project everyone would be fine with it. Sure, if someone wants to run blacklists and what not on their nodes who are we to stop them  Smiley

But right now they're trying to fork the protocol, that's a big no-no  Angry

What are you going to do when another implementation will try to fork the protocol with 50% subsidy instead of 75%? Or no subsidy at all, Just an aggressive fork by the big players that needs big blocks?

Me think it is just a question of time for it to happen. I hope your ass is ready.
It will be a good show for sure.

brg444

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:42:25 PM

If Bitcoin XT would wreck their BIP101 project everyone would be fine with it. Sure, if someone wants to run blacklists and what not on their nodes who are we to stop them  Smiley

What are you going to do when another implementation will try to fork the protocol with 50% subsidy instead of 75%? Or no subsidy at all, Just an aggressive fork by the big players that needs big blocks?

Me think it is just a question of time for it to happen. I hope your ass is ready.

You mean create an altcoin?

You do realize you little XT coup didn't succeed in garnering anything more than 10% nodes support? (if that)

Yeah good luck with that  Cheesy The big players (no I'm not talking about the vulture capitalists and banking parasites) are perfectly fine with Bitcoin as it stands  Wink

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:45:18 PM

You do realize you little XT coup didn't succeed in garnering anything more than 10% nodes support? (if that)

Yeah good luck with that  Cheesy The big players (no I'm not talking about the vulture capitalists and banking parasites) are perfectly fine with Bitcoin as it stands  Wink

Call it an altcoin as much as you like. But what are you going to do when the major economic players will call their altcoin "bitcoin" to their mainstream customers?

Can't wait for your answer.

BTW who are those "big" players that aren't vulture capitalists and banking parasites as you call them?

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:48:41 PM

The only positive thing about this is that some cancerous elements may just have been severely undermined. But populist politics are pretty much alive.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
brg444

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:53:02 PM

Yeah good luck with that  Cheesy The big players (no I'm not talking about the vulture capitalists and banking parasites) are perfectly fine with Bitcoin as it stands  Wink

Call it an altcoin as much as you like. But what are you going to do when the major economic players will call their altcoin "bitcoin" to their mainstream customers?

Shocked

Mainstream customers don't give a fuck about Bitcoin already  Cheesy You think that's gonna change because a couple of banks get together and start promoting it?

"Here's FIATcoin, it's just like cash but we can trace it anywhere and seize it at our convenience. In exchange for whatever economic freedom you had left we'll give you.....ermm free transactions?"

You know this thing exists already right? It's called Ripple. It hasn't fared so well

Goddamn you're a genius aren't ya  Cheesy

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:56:34 PM

Yeah good luck with that  Cheesy The big players (no I'm not talking about the vulture capitalists and banking parasites) are perfectly fine with Bitcoin as it stands  Wink

Shocked

Mainstream customers don't give a fuck about Bitcoin already  Cheesy You think that's gonna change because a couple of banks get together and start promoting it?

"Here's FIATcoin, it's just like cash but we can trace it anywhere and seize it at our convenience. In exchange for whatever economic freedom you had left we'll give you.....ermm free transactions?"

You know this thing exists already right? It's called Ripple. It hasn't fared so well

Goddamn you're a genius aren't ya  Cheesy

TIL brg444 thinks bitcoin will be a world reserve currency that the mainstream won’t care and the vulture capitalists and banking parasites will stay away. Somehow he manage to think bitcoin will go to the moon.

lol k.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: