Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:21:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stress Testing?  (Read 712 times)
ausbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 08:32:45 AM

Can anybody shed any light on why this address has been sending what i think could be spam transactions for days now?
14oPLjoUQ2NrKgKbnaZZkLcky2d5UuhBKd

I thought the resent "stress test" was over. Does this happen often?

Blockchain.info link:
https://blockchain.info/address/14oPLjoUQ2NrKgKbnaZZkLcky2d5UuhBKd?offset=500&filter=0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brunoshady

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

Dubs Get

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 08:47:26 AM

I have seen a user giving away BTC from stress test, and the outputs are 1000 satoshi. 5000 satoshi output is close to the original non-spam limit (5460).
BTW spams here or on the blockchain is really bad. Guys please stop them!

😆
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2015, 08:51:04 AM

Let me clarify that "stress test". It's actually in its essence an attack on the network (similar to DDoS for services). Due to legal pressures the 'company' backed down and started sharing the private keys online. This caused them to avoid problems and let the users do the stress testing for them. However, things didn't work out. There was only a backlog of transaction and the mempool increased, but normal transactions were going through. Everything is almost back to normal "unconfirmed TX 137,356 (42,733.84 Kb)".

Even though I don't know who the address belongs to, this isn't uncommon. Occasionally I receive dust or advertising of some form on some of my addresses. This might just be someone who snatches some coins from the "stress test". We can't really know for sure (unless the address holder is known).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 08:59:16 AM

Can anybody shed any light on why this address has been sending what i think could be spam transactions for days now?

Blockchain.info link:
https://blockchain.info/address/14oPLjoUQ2NrKgKbnaZZkLcky2d5UuhBKd?offset=500&filter=0

The stress test was "cancelled", and replaced by a "giveaway" (which had the same effect...)

The bitcoin address you posted is showing up on Namecoin's block-explorer - it appears to be associated with bitcoin.co.th. I'm not sure what that tells us, but I suspect someone more knowledgable than me, or a better detective, could provide more information!

This space intentionally left blank.
ausbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 09:18:18 AM

Blockchain.info link:

The stress test was "cancelled", and replaced by a "giveaway" (which had the same effect...)

The bitcoin address you posted is showing up on Namecoin's block-explorer - it appears to be associated with bitcoin.co.th. I'm not sure what that tells us, but I suspect someone more knowledgable than me, or a better detective, could provide more information!
Cool thanks but now im more interested in this site you provided a link to: namecha.in
Can you explain how this site works, i put a couple of my addreses in but they all came up saing 'This address hasn't been used on the network yet' these are addreses that have been used on the btc network before.

When i follow your link i can see where that address was registered and when, even a name of someone.
I going to look at this site a bit closer but any info you can provide would help, thanks.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 09:48:03 AM

Cool thanks but now im more interested in this site you provided a link to: namecha.in
Can you explain how this site works, i put a couple of my addreses in but they all came up saing 'This address hasn't been used on the network yet' these are addreses that have been used on the btc network before.

When i follow your link i can see where that address was registered and when, even a name of someone.
I going to look at this site a bit closer but any info you can provide would help, thanks.

Namecha.in is a block explorer for namecoin (analogous to blockchain.info for Bitcoin) - namecoin was one of the first (the first?) altcoins, and allows domain registration using the Blockchain - so your bitcoin addresses won't show up because you've not used them to register an internet domain. That's about the limit of my knowledge, I'm afraid - I've not used Namecoin, and the only real research I've done on it was back when it first started (it grew out of bitdns, but I remember it from when it became namecoin). I do know that Slush's mining pool mines namecoins, though - I read a forum post yesterday about it!

This space intentionally left blank.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 12:02:25 PM

So, is the stress test already over?

What happened to the 1 month backlog?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
elias27122

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 12:04:27 PM

Is that why my transactions took longer than usual? itsnt this hurting bitcoin and not really finding out anything
ausbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 12:19:34 PM

Namecha.in is a block explorer for namecoin (analogous to blockchain.info for Bitcoin) - namecoin was one of the first (the first?) altcoins, and allows domain registration using the Blockchain - so your bitcoin addresses won't show up because you've not used them to register an internet domain. That's about the limit of my knowledge, I'm afraid - I've not used Namecoin, and the only real research I've done on it was back when it first started (it grew out of bitdns, but I remember it from when it became namecoin). I do know that Slush's mining pool mines namecoins, though - I read a forum post yesterday about it!
Thank you your info was much appreciated.
As i said i will have to look into this site more now that i know about it.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2015, 12:42:32 PM

Is that why my transactions took longer than usual? itsnt this hurting bitcoin and not really finding out anything
No. Your transactions (and anyone else who got affected) took longer than usual because you're a cheap person. If you had initially included the recommended or optimal fee (which were higher but still only a few cents) per kb you would have not experienced anyone. Anyone that included optimal or higher fees was not affected by this at all (I tend to include 0.001 sometimes - still only ~23 cents).

For anyone that is concerned, there was never any stress test in September. The 'company' made a giveaway in order to avoid trouble. This resulted in users doing the "test" for them.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 01:38:35 PM

I believe the 1 month backlog would have been the result of the test, not the duration of the test.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 02:28:59 PM

I down-clocked the miner to keep it under the over-heat threshold and set the fee to 0.0005 BTC, anything below this is now spam. The cost to attack the network at this price per transaction is phenomenal.

"if you're good at something don't ever do it for free" -- unknown quote
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 12:02:06 PM

I believe the 1 month backlog would have been the result of the test, not the duration of the test.
I am aware of that, but there is no 1 month backlog. https://tradeblock.com/bitcoin/ seems pretty normal.
So, what happened? Switching to giveaways instead of sending the transactions them self, shouldn't have changed anything. Should it?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: