Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:37:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What to do with the SC Single ($1299)
Keep it at 60Ghash - 32 (45.1%)
Update the firmware to 65Ghash - 39 (54.9%)
Total Voters: 71

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition: BFL SC Single should be 65Ghash and not 60Ghash  (Read 10489 times)
Beans

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:31:53 AM

The original post makes a point, but they should just increase the price of the little single. It will be more of a issue if 2x little singles perform better then 1x single, which is very possible. If it turns out they mine 3-5% faster, there will be a lot of pissed off people. I really don't see their logic in this, unless they plan to phase out the single. Letting people who ordered Jalapeno's upgrade and cut in line is also not cool. To those ignorant people complaining about this thread, this is not like walking into walmart and complaining about prices. This is like the guy behind you in line at walmart getting a better deal then you before you even got through the register. A business should always give the best offer possible up to the point of completing the transaction.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ice_chill (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:38:05 AM

The original post makes a point, but they should just increase the price of the little single. It will be more of a issue if 2x little singles perform better then 1x single, which is very possible. If it turns out they mine 3-5% faster, there will be a lot of pissed off people. I really don't see their logic in this, unless they plan to phase out the single. Letting people who ordered Jalapeno's upgrade and cut in line is also not cool. To those ignorant people complaining about this thread, this is not like walking into walmart and complaining about prices. This is like the guy behind you in line at walmart getting a better deal then you before you even got through the register. A business should always give the best offer possible up to the point of completing the transaction.

Thank you, good to see some people understand the point of the topic.

It's a good idea to increase the price, I didn't think of it, however orders have already been placed, so it's probably too late for that.
mybitcoincharts

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 07:53:51 AM

If it turns out they mine 3-5% faster, there will be a lot of pissed off people.

But even they perform a bit faster, two littles will also consume more energy while doing so. While the asics sure are the main energy dump, parts like voltage transformation, USB connectivity etc. also need energy, and when using two littles instead of one single you are doubling those, too.
Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 09:11:04 AM

The real petition title should read " BFL SC singleshould be shipping by now"

firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:58:43 AM

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the 30GH units were identical in every way to the 60GH units, except that there are 4 processors instead of 8... which could be manually placed if you could get a hold of them.

Actually I am pretty sure that's how they will look like. They could even be completely identical from the outside, the only difference being the  30Hh/s unit has some faulty cores disabled.

That's much more likely - little single is the way to get rid of under-performing singles... disable some acis - downclock to get the right hash rate... or if a chip isn't stable at the 60gh range, just underclock it by 50% and sell it for half price.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:25:09 AM

I vote with my dollars. Bump the Singles to 65 Gh and I'm a happy man!  Grin Grin
bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:58:07 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2012, 08:50:52 AM by bce

The Single SC and Little Single SC appear to be using the same board, same cooling.  My best guess is that limiting or increasing speeds will be done by firmware, which can be upgraded or modified regardless of how many ASICS are present on a Single-SC type configuration.  

After seeing pics of the Single SC and Little Single SC-  
Thermal Characteristics:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the limiting factor for overclocking these ASIC chips will be the plastic top layer on the chip itself. The heat pipe cooling system seems to be overkill no matter if it's 1 or 8 ASICs, but this is to make up for not having a cooling system on the bottom side of the chip, or a chip that is more efficient with dissipating heat through the top layer.  With regard to what it means for this thread, I believe a BFL Single SC should run and be just as overclockable as a Little Single.  Neither the board, nor power supply should prove to be the limiting factors.  The limiting factor should be the thermal characteristics within the plastic-clad ASIC chips themselves (as superior as these chips may be  Smiley).

Assuming everything above is true, 2 devices that have exactly half the power and use more watts from the outlet = not convenient.    I understand the idea of reducing variance of earnings by spreading the load over more BFL units.  That makes sense.   But for people who want to reduce the amount of work, the amount of complexity of setup- the BFL Single SC is the best value.  I guess it depends on where your priorities are.  

To cool each of these units, I intend to use high air flow (large squirrel cage fan) and/ or waterblock cooling (if available), and whatever future  ???s there may be.   I want the maximum processing power in the smallest space, because much cooling will be focused on the air mass within that space.  Also, hubs are just a weak point.        

Since the hard drive analogy didn't drive it home, how about this one:

You own a metal recycling business.  If, for about the same price, you could buy Two Ford Ranger Trucks that get 30mpg in order to haul 500lbs of scrap metal each or One Ford F-150 Truck that gets 21mpg and can haul 1000lbs of scrap metal, which one do you pick?  Whatever the choice may be, do you ask Ford to increase the price of the Ranger, or limit its performance?  It is already limited by inefficiency, because the ONLY job you intend to do (ASIC) is haul massive amounts of scrap metal from point A (scap metal site) to point B (your local metal recycling facility which happens to pay out in BTC).  There is no room in this analogy for using the truck to run an errand picking up groceries at walmart.     

MPG = miles per gallon = MH/W
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:46:11 AM

After seeing pics of the Single SC and Little Single SC-  
Thermal Characteristics:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the limiting factor for overclocking these ASIC chips will be the plastic top layer on the chip itself.
I have come to the same conclusion. It might explain why the first photo released of the BFL hardware had a significant bulge on it. probably a dead board from overclocking testing.

The capability of that plastic to handle heat may be a limiting factor in overclocking.

Edit:
It also has thermal protection built in, so that might also be an issue if you are overclocking to a certain degree. hopefully there will be a way to disable it, though why anyone would want to is....a good question.

bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 08:59:54 AM
Last edit: October 30, 2012, 06:34:45 AM by bce

I hope the thermal protection doesn't cut off if temps are too low either, as I'd like to run these in my (currently) GPU-heated garage Grin    I just wonder how fast these chips will go with ice cold air directed at the bottom side of the board.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: