Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:05:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there evidence that there is a correlation between difficulty and price?  (Read 2615 times)
Este Nuno (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 10:08:49 PM

And if so why do you think that is? What causes demand to go up? Supply stays more or less consistent from mining until the reward is halved. So I'm a little unclear on this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 10:13:47 PM

I would expect there to be a correlation. As the price of BTC goes up, there will be more miners, and thus higher difficulty.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 10:14:51 PM

And if so why do you think that is? What causes demand to go up? Supply stays more or less consistent from mining until the reward is halved. So I'm a little unclear on this.
When price is high compared to difficulty, miners invest in more equipment and difficulty goes up.  When price is low and difficulty high, mining becomes unprofitable for many miners.  They stop mining to save electricity, and difficulty goes down.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 11:04:32 PM

Is there evidence that there is a correlation between difficulty and price?
No

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 11:36:59 PM

I suspect your question is not really about correlation. You can look at the graphs of price and difficulty and the correlation is obvious.

Perhaps what you really want ask is "Does difficulty affect price?"

I don't think it does, at least not directly. I don't think anyone has come up with a good reason why it would. On the other hand, it could said be that as the difficulty goes up (or the reward goes down) the number of people mining will go down. Some of them might lose interest and that will result in a lower demand for bitcoins.

Supply stays more or less consistent from mining until the reward is halved.

The supply of BTC for sale continues to rise because mining increases the general amount of BTC. The amount of BTC sold on MtGox is 10 times the total amount of BTC being mined, so I don't think that halving the reward will make a noticeable difference in the supply of BTC for sale.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 05:03:32 AM

No
Wrong. As the others are pointing out, there's a strong correlation between difficulty and price. Difficulty doesn't affect price, of course, but price affects difficulty. I mine for coins, and I'm profitable above around $4 per BTC right now. I used to be profitable above $2 per BTC, but difficulty has more than doubled since that time, and that trend seems set to continue. When the reward halving occurs, I'll need the price to be at $8 or more to realistically turn a meaningful profit.

myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 05:06:48 AM

No
Wrong. As the others are pointing out, there's a strong correlation between difficulty and price. Difficulty doesn't affect price, of course, but price affects difficulty. I mine for coins, and I'm profitable above around $4 per BTC right now. I used to be profitable above $2 per BTC, but difficulty has more than doubled since that time, and that trend seems set to continue. When the reward halving occurs, I'll need the price to be at $8 or more to realistically turn a meaningful profit.
do something
1 open excel
2 take the price on mtgox since day one
3 take the diff since mtgox did open
4 plot a chart with price and diff in % change not value

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 05:49:04 AM

No
do something
1 open excel

well it's not 1:1, but a rising price clearly means that you can expect to see rising difficulty soon after! Wink

trogdorjw73

Activity: 482

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 07:45:59 AM

No
do something
1 open excel

well it's not 1:1, but a rising price clearly means that you can expect to see rising difficulty soon after! Wink
Exactly. No one said 1:1; they said a "correlation". Obviously there's *some* correlation, so the question is pretty silly as such. Is there a correlation between temperatures outside and the seasons of the year?

firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 04:11:39 AM

Also, as the difficulty goes up - miners make less - resulting in longer periods between selling. This can (and imo does) affect price. If you're close to the edge on your profitability you don't sell below a certain rate.

sturle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 10:52:53 AM

Also, as the difficulty goes up - miners make less - resulting in longer periods between selling. This can (and imo does) affect price. If you're close to the edge on your profitability you don't sell below a certain rate.
No, miners still make the same in total.  And because the combined daily volume at the exchanges is several orders of magnitude higher than the daily volume of mined coins, I doubt mining has any noticeable effect on the price right now.  Half of the coins which will ever exist have been mined already, and many miners choose to keep their coins.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 10:55:07 AM

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:54:00 AM

difficulty follows price (all else being equal)... it's as simple as that. People thinking it's the other way around must think again.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:55:52 AM

as difficulty rises, we can assume that the actual number of individuals mining is rising,
in other words,
the number of people wanting to acquire bitcoin is rising,
some of them could get impatient and acquire bitcoin faster ( by buying it )
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:23:37 PM

as difficulty rises, we can assume that the actual number of individuals mining is rising,
in other words,

Or we can assume it's the same number of people wanting more bitcoins more badly or even just improved technology.
Este Nuno (OP)
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 01:35:14 PM

When I posted this I actually was asking for evidence of correlation between price and difficulty, in the quantitative sense. I have not followed the mining arms race specifically, and I thought that there was at least potential for the difficulty to have risen over time independent of current market price. Theoretically, as a speculative move, someone could both purchase bitcoins, and mine them at break even or loss in the short term because they believed the future price would justify the mining at a loss, and that directly purchasing bitcoins might drive the price too high in a thin market, and therefore both buying and mining might be rational. I can imagine this being the case in the early stages of bitcoin for example.

I realize now that the difficulty has followed the price fairly closely in an apparently somewhat efficient matter. And that the market of miners are more or less just following their personal break even points with regard to the price of bitcoin and their electricity price. 

So at this point I can see that price and difficulty are in fact highly correlated, and changes in difficulty are primarily caused by changes in price.
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 01:40:31 PM

in other words,

Or we can assume it's the same number of people wanting more bitcoins more badly or even just improved technology.

in both cases, desire is increasing
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 02:08:09 PM

in other words,

in both cases, desire is increasing

You lost count that's 2 of 3 cases.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:11:16 PM

in other words,

OR we could assume that some newbies decided to mine instead of buy bitcoins and that's bad for price.

OR we could assume the new miners are botnets and/or gamers who just want to make a quick fiat buck and will sell all mining income and that's bad for price.

OR we can make the most sane assumption that the difficulty simply rises because mining profitability has risen (most likely due to a rise in exchange rate, but maybe also due to better technology being delivered or energy cost falling (yeah right))

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:12:57 PM

So at this point I can see that price and difficulty are in fact highly correlated, and changes in difficulty are primarily caused by changes in price.

cool!

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 02:15:03 PM

difficulty follows price (all else being equal)... it's as simple as that. People thinking it's the other way around must think again.

Only if technology didn't improve, if ASIC is available in abundance, then difficulty can double quickly without seeing any movement in price.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
sturle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 04:49:33 PM

Only if technology didn't improve, if ASIC is available in abundance, then difficulty can double quickly without seeing any movement in price.
Doubling, tripling or a a thousandfold increase in difficulty will have no effect on price.  Technology improvement or not.  Halving of difficulty will have no effect on the price.  There is simply no reason for mining difficulty to have any effect on the price.

Este Nuno (OP)
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:40:49 PM

It's kind of amazing how well designed bitcoin is though. The mining part of it being self-regulating is impressive imo.

Satoshi is a god damn genius. Tongue
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 01:38:44 AM

Doubling, tripling or a a thousandfold increase in difficulty will have no effect on price.  Technology improvement or not.  Halving of difficulty will have no effect on the price.  There is simply no reason for mining difficulty to have any effect on the price.

I think difficulty do affect price. People will try many difference approach to get BTC. If the difficulty is too high, then it is not very practical to setup mining rigs, those who want to invest in BTC will simply buy them, this will lift the price of BTC. So it is balanced by itself

scrybe

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 02:48:52 AM

I think difficulty do affect price. People will try many difference approach to get BTC. If the difficulty is too high, then it is not very practical to setup mining rigs, those who want to invest in BTC will simply buy them, this will lift the price of BTC. So it is balanced by itself

Hmm, let's run this through a couple scenarios for this. (I'm just kludging them together, feel free to shoot at the principles, but the specifics are made up to create outsized issues that my brain can get a handle on)

Environment:
ASIC is out and humming, technology is stable and no preorders are on the horizon that will change things.
Bitcoin mining with current equipment over 12 months results in a ~100% profit according to common current projections.
50% of mining income is used to buy new hardware to keep up with other miners.

Event: Bitcoin loses 50% value
Result: Miners are in survival mode, those who cannot afford the outlay have to put equipment purchases on hold, and bleed devalued bitcoins paying for electricity. difficulty slows or drops as some gear is deemed too unprofitable to afford to run and is powered down.

Event: Bitcoin gains 100% value
Result: Miners are in bonanza mode, profit taking and large hardware purchases will be popular, difficulty will shoot up with this new gear until some equilibrium is reached.

Event: Protocol change renders 50% of mining equipment useless (I know it's out there, but I could not think of another big forcing)
Result: 50% of miners are dancing in the street as their BTC profits go up 100%, other 50% want to kill them. Some of the excess profits will go towards new hardware, as will some investment by the failed miners replacing obsolete hardware, some will drop out entirely. Price may be effected by 20-minute blocktimes for up to 2 weeks, but it would only qualify as a panic, not a factually based reaction. After the On the whole the same amount of BTC is generated, and sold to others who want to buy or are selling hardware.

Event: New Big Fish 1 and New Big Fish 2 start fighting over BitCoin, increasing difficulty by 100% over 3 months
Result: Massive increase in difficulty because of governments or megacorps doing speculative mining with millions of dollars in custom fabbed hardware. Tinfoil hats hold a party, others are annoyed that "The Man" is making his own bitcoins instead of buying ours. Value of Bitcoin shoots up due to difficulty conflict, but only because of the perceived legitimacy, not because the difficulty is high. Many miners shut down inefficient capacity, but some keep some running for ideological reasons.

That's my take on those 4 scenarios, in my scorebook it's pretty obvious that 1 and 2 would happen, and it demonstrates the implied causation between price and difficulty. 3 and 4 are a bit more of a stretch, but in each case I found that the root cause of the price and the difficulty change was largely the same, with the differences in all 4 scenarios being transitory until mining capacity matches price, not the other way around.

I think you are right that there is a short term force applied on the price if there is a large difficulty swing, but I think it's noise compared with the actual event, or the phase of the moon http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/36301/2/b2092645.0001.001.pdf.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 08:29:37 AM

It's kind of amazing how well designed bitcoin is though. The mining part of it being self-regulating is impressive imo.

Satoshi is a god damn genius. Tongue

It's incredible. The fact it works is amazing in it self, and then you pile on the depth of design and we approach pure brilliance. 

sturle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 11:53:04 AM

Unlikely.  This may have been the case back in 2010 when one could still find blocks when CPU mining on common equipment.  (Those blocks weren't worth much, of course.)  Nowadays one need either very fast and expensive GPUs to get BTC at any reasonable speed and marginal profit, and investing in GPUs for mining now is guaranteed to be a loss.  Or one needs highly specialized equipment, which I doubt anyone will buy unless they have experience with Bitcoin already.  And Bitcoin has become very easy to buy.  It just doesn't make sense to invest in expensive specialized equipment with uncertain profit margin and mining for weeks for a few coins, when you can buy as many coins as you want today or tomorrow.  If you want to invest in BTC, you invest in BTC.  If you want to invest in mining, you invest in mining.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: