Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:14:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Layoffs  (Read 4079 times)
tiberiandusk (OP)

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 02:29:40 AM

http://allthingsd.com/20121012/exclusive-amd-to-cut-up-to-30-percent-of-workforce/

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 02:21:27 PM

damn ASICs  Sad

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
meebs

Activity: 616

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 10:42:16 PM

damn ASICs  Sad

i'd say it has more to do with them being absolutely ABYSMAL in the desktop CPU market the past few years....

their highest end chips are barely competing with friggin core i3's that use like 1/3rd the power (i have a i3 3225 that barely uses 25 watts at full load...)

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 01:24:28 AM

damn ASICs  Sad
i'd say it has more to do with them being absolutely ABYSMAL in the desktop CPU market the past few years....

their highest end chips are barely competing with friggin core i3's that use like 1/3rd the power (i have a i3 3225 that barely uses 25 watts at full load...)
Their APU products are quite the product, tho. Cheap, good battery life, and very good reviews. Buying ATI was actually one of the smartest things they could have done.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
GernMiester

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 02:37:09 AM

AMD CPU's suck so no surprises there.
legolouman

Activity: 504

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 02:41:03 AM

Sure, they lost the high end CPU war, but APU's are the best thing ever. I love them.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 03:40:13 AM

I'm still waiting for Piledriver to hit. Tongue  Grin

legolouman

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 10:43:25 AM

I'm still waiting for Piledriver to hit. Tongue  Grin

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012092001_Pre-order_prices_of_AMD_FX_Piledriver_CPUs.html

Relevant, as am I.

An 8 core processor running 4.0 Ghz is crazy.

Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 02:01:21 PM

That's not possible.  They use 55W.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 03:19:52 PM

Link? Most of the stuff I've seen puts them competing with an i5. Sometimes they lose to the i5, sometime they beat even the i7s.

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 03:24:23 PM

AMD simply don't have the cash to compete with Intel in the long run. Intel's capex per year is far larger than AMD's entire company value.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Desolator

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:31:03 PM

Someone's getting the future Steamroller chips and the current Trinity (aka Piledriver, yeah, it's out already) chips mixed up.  Steamroller is very lacking in details but everyone's hoping it comes in and destroys everything Intel has in performance numbers.
The the Trinity series is out now though and AMD's own release notes for it say it will outperform an i3 but they're slower than an i5 but at an i3 type of price.

i3's are around $115 still with the Ivy ones a lot more and the new i5's are around $185 so here it is (the Trinity A10) for $129:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280

but it uses 100 watts :-P If I'm not mistaken, that onboard GPU absolutely demolishes the latest intel graphics capabilities.  I still wouldn't game on it though, so it's kinda pointless Tongue  Both can run a full HD netflix stream and play facebook games and if you hop from that to Skyrim, you're probably not going with an onboard GPU, lol.

They also make an A8, A6, A4 for a lot cheaper but still in the trinity series but I'm not sure how those stack up against comparable Intel products.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:35:29 PM

Piledriver is just the next improvement of Bulldozer. The new Trinity APUs (the A10s) actually do have Piledriver modules in them. And sure enough, it shows about a 10-15% improvement over Bulldozer modules, which is what they were expecting. Piledriver has not made it into a Desktop CPU yet, but it hopefully will soon.

Desolator

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:42:24 PM

Okay first, I just corrected the naming in my post Tongue I meant Streamroller.  And secondly, whaaat?  I thought Piledriver was in the new desktop CPUs?  According to wikipedia, The A10-5800K, A10-5700, A8-5600K, A8-5500, A6-5400K and A4-5300 APU models were released on 2 October 2012 and are all classified as 2nd gen Piledriver chips.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 05:02:27 PM

I've kind of been out of the loop on mobile chips lately, but have been looking at buying a new laptop... are the "APU's" the chips that contain both a process and a GPU?  And they are good?  I'm looking in the $600 or less range, but can only find integrated graphics on the Intel side with those, and decent dedicated GPUs on the AMD side.  So I like the looks of the AMD offerings on paper, but I am just concerned about the CPUs themselves - power usage, actual processing power compared to the i3/i5's, etc.  And what's the difference between A6/A8/A10?
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:26:23 PM

Okay first, I just corrected the naming in my post Tongue I meant Streamroller.  And secondly, whaaat?  I thought Piledriver was in the new desktop CPUs?  According to wikipedia, The A10-5800K, A10-5700, A8-5600K, A8-5500, A6-5400K and A4-5300 APU models were released on 2 October 2012 and are all classified as 2nd gen Piledriver chips.
Those are all APUs. By Desktop chips, I mean a higher performance chip without a GPU. The FX series is about to release new models with Piledriver modules, With the FX-8350 being the top end, 4GHz octo-core. That's the one I want, cuz Steamroller won't be out for quite a while.

Desolator

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:06:55 AM

for any laptop, I tell people that AMD's fusion APUs are quite fast and decent but they get a lot hotter and worse battery life.  They're similar in performance but if anything, slightly slower than most intel products.  Either one will get you to a high def netflix or youtube stream and not much farther so if graphics are a concern, you'll probably just have to step up to something with an Nvidia 540m inside or even faster.

That said, we use an older A6 APU quad (it's only like 1.4GHz!) for a 3D software demo to customers machine and it's alright.  It's about 95% fast enough for that at a large res and since it's a 17" it doesn't get too hot.  I have a feeling a modern i3 would outperform it.  The current mother of all perfect laptops is the Toshiba Satellite C855-S5206, which I have sold 3 of so far at my shop.  It's insanely good for $400 and has every feature imaginable for a reasonably priced laptop.
legolouman

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 10:48:34 AM

for any laptop, I tell people that AMD's fusion APUs are quite fast and decent but they get a lot hotter and worse battery life.  They're similar in performance but if anything, slightly slower than most intel products.  Either one will get you to a high def netflix or youtube stream and not much farther so if graphics are a concern, you'll probably just have to step up to something with an Nvidia 540m inside or even faster.

That said, we use an older A6 APU quad (it's only like 1.4GHz!) for a 3D software demo to customers machine and it's alright.  It's about 95% fast enough for that at a large res and since it's a 17" it doesn't get too hot.  I have a feeling a modern i3 would outperform it.  The current mother of all perfect laptops is the Toshiba Satellite C855-S5206, which I have sold 3 of so far at my shop.  It's insanely good for $400 and has every feature imaginable for a reasonably priced laptop.

APU's are a bit better at multitasking and rendering than anything Intel has to offer. I use an APU based laptop for programming in LabVIEW, and I personally feel that it is a step above any other laptops that I have worked on. It loads faster, it compiles faster, etc.

underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 06:38:28 AM

I have a desktop with a 2.9ghz llano fm1.  The apu mines at 68mhs by itself and the motherboard has 2 pci express card slots and one x1 slot.  So theoretically I could be mining with 3 cards and one "crappy" one (the apu) for a pretty cheap price.  I bought the socket because it looked like it was going to be expandable but what did they do?  They make fm2.  Fuckers.  Alienating the people that invest in their experimental products is part of their problem.  I also have the 8120 8 core "bulldozer" chip, (which I bought because the name is AWESOME) its far from abysmal but doesn't stack up to an i5 from what I understand.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
SaintDevil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 07:17:46 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2012, 07:49:14 AM by SaintDevil

I've kind of been out of the loop on mobile chips lately, but have been looking at buying a new laptop... are the "APU's" the chips that contain both a process and a GPU?  And they are good?  I'm looking in the $600 or less range, but can only find integrated graphics on the Intel side with those, and decent dedicated GPUs on the AMD side.  So I like the looks of the AMD offerings on paper, but I am just concerned about the CPUs themselves - power usage, actual processing power compared to the i3/i5's, etc.  And what's the difference between A6/A8/A10?

I have a laptop with AMD A10 processor and it has an integrated graphics 6620G. A6/A8 and A10 I believe differ in what graphics card integrated into them.
My laptop also has a dedicated 6650 and what I love about amd apus is that you can crossfire them. 

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: