Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:40:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Layoffs  (Read 4079 times)
legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:03:15 PM

I've kind of been out of the loop on mobile chips lately, but have been looking at buying a new laptop... are the "APU's" the chips that contain both a process and a GPU?  And they are good?  I'm looking in the $600 or less range, but can only find integrated graphics on the Intel side with those, and decent dedicated GPUs on the AMD side.  So I like the looks of the AMD offerings on paper, but I am just concerned about the CPUs themselves - power usage, actual processing power compared to the i3/i5's, etc.  And what's the difference between A6/A8/A10?

I have a laptop with AMD A10 processor and it has an integrated graphics 6620G. A6/A8 and A10 I believe differ in what graphics card integrated into them.
My laptop also has a dedicated 6650 and what I love about amd apus is that you can crossfire them. 

Actually, each different CPU has a different integrated GPU model, not just the different series cpus.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:05:59 PM

Does the crossfire help?  I had more trouble than it was worth trying to get a performance boost out of the llano.  For one thing the best card that could crossfire with the apu was a 6670 (I've sold this card) but I wasn't impressed.  I like the "free" gpu though.  I can run the integrated gpu as if it were a video card all of its own but it takes up no space in the case...

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
SaintDevil

Activity: 126

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:16:44 PM

Does the crossfire help?  I had more trouble than it was worth trying to get a performance boost out of the llano.  For one thing the best card that could crossfire with the apu was a 6670 (I've sold this card) but I wasn't impressed.  I like the "free" gpu though.  I can run the integrated gpu as if it were a video card all of its own but it takes up no space in the case...

I don't know about mining performance, but for gaming it gives me quite a good boost. I was always a fan of nvidia cards for gaming, but a laptop apu with gpu feels quite powerful. And they just released their newer series of apus too. I just wish my laptop didn't have the damn 1377 resolution.

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:21:49 PM

My friend just bought one with the new chips and it is coming in the mail anyday now.  I am going to show him how to mine in his spare time and we will see if he can make enough coin to play for plex and play eve with me, lol.  Now that he has bought this computer (his other just got stolen) he will be very poor for a long time.  Can let you guys know what kind of mhs it is and what the specs are sometime next week if anyone is interested.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:10:27 PM

Newegg got the Desktop Piledrivers in stock, and also coincidentally dropped the price of the Bulldozer CPUs. I picked up a 8120 for $140, paid for with a gift card from btcbuy.info, of course. GC showed up in 12 hours, and the CPU should be here tomorrow.  Grin Grin

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:14:56 PM

Newegg got the Desktop Piledrivers in stock, and also coincidentally dropped the price of the Bulldozer CPUs. I picked up a 8120 for $140, paid for with a gift card from btcbuy.info, of course. GC showed up in 12 hours, and the CPU should be here tomorrow.  Grin Grin

Their price went ridiculously down, I wish I haven't bought my 8150 on the first day it came out.

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 09:32:41 PM

I like the Llano's for their APU and cross-fire potential all in a laptop package that was not expensive at all.
They overclock well and I expect the same from Trinity for the laptop, haven't tried it yet.

I play all the latest games I want to on mine (Llano), I admit I overclock mine, but considering it's A6 3410mx and runs most games I want on high/highest detail, with decent AA settings, I'm not complaining. Trinity apparently shows some improvements, not a lot but nice boost in already powerful graphics.

Back on topic though, it's sad that AMD has resorted to such large layoffs, but it is true they have had a mixed bag of success.
High End Desktop CPU - Not good, intel crushes them here.
APU - Excellent, AMD has done amazing here at a great price.
Server CPU - Small Improvements, but Intel has historically had this, and hasn't made much dent.

If they end up refocusing their attention to APU's and Servers, grabbing those two key markets, instead of going for all 3, they might go back to their roots of what they were remembered for. Atleast what I remember them for, Solid performer, cheaper than Intel, that overclock very well.

underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:34:46 PM

I bought a whole system with 8120, 2 x1 terabyte drives, ssd, windows, full corsair tower, gtx460, and an asus sabertooth motherboard for $600.  It was almost exactly what I would have built myself for about half the cost.  I am really happy with the sabertooth board speaking of which and want to buy the intel chip equivalent when I get the $$$.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:50:57 PM

Back on topic though, it's sad that AMD has resorted to such large layoffs, but it is true they have had a mixed bag of success.
High End Desktop CPU - Not good, intel crushes them here.
APU - Excellent, AMD has done amazing here at a great price.
Server CPU - Small Improvements, but Intel has historically had this, and hasn't made much dent.
I'd add one more to that list:
Budget CPUs - For applications like mining or web browsing, where anything available is fast enough, the lowest cost units reign king.  And AMD has that low-end market captured quite sufficiently.

The lowest priced AMD desktop chip on Newegg is $39.99.  The lowest priced Intel chip is $48.99.  A $9 difference, which doesn't seem like much, but it is a 23% increase in the price.  Bulk order, and you start to see it add up quick.
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:38:50 PM

Investmentwise, AMD is probably near rock bottom at the moment.  Anyone buying AMD at this time?
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:57:18 PM

I bought a whole system with 8120, 2 x1 terabyte drives, ssd, windows, full corsair tower, gtx460, and an asus sabertooth motherboard for $600.  It was almost exactly what I would have built myself for about half the cost.  I am really happy with the sabertooth board speaking of which and want to buy the intel chip equivalent when I get the $$$.

From where?  That's not possible.  Was it all used/refurb or bought in person or something?
underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 11:05:04 PM

A personal computer yes, thank you craigslist.  Not really that old either I think there is even good corsair ram in in it.  I am (hopefully) buying an i5 with a sabertooth saturday for basically the same price...  We will see how it goes.  When you consider that I spent ~ twice that on my llano computer it gets a bit depressing lol!

SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:32:02 AM

From where?  That's not possible.  Was it all used/refurb or bought in person or something?

Sometimes you can find a really good deal on barbone kits, after rebates and discounts.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: