Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:48:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin guerrilla marketing on paper money  (Read 15220 times)
Arto (OP)
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 05:16:07 PM

but linking people to bitcoin.org drives them away in the same moment.

you expect they download the standard-client and fetch the whole blockchain?

the way it is presented on the bitcoin.org page it looks like an experimental opensource project with only a few users and a all in all very nerdy image.

people expect to see the next paypal.

In my view, Bitcoin.org is doing a decent job of highlighting popular alternative clients: http://bitcoin.org/clients.html

It may be true, however, that Bitcoin.org isn't the ideal landing page for this little crowdsourced propaganda experiment. If I do work my way up to an eventual rubber stamp solution, I'd probably lead with a cheeky tagline (see earlier) and follow with an admonition to just google "bitcoin". Let Google sort them out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 12:40:57 PM

yesterday i introduced a friend to bitcoin,

i showed him the blockchain.info wallet service and he instantly liked it.

blockchain.info is kind of a site which is good to show off bitcoin as whole.
ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 02:25:36 PM

I like the idea, but I agree that bitcoin.org is not the best page to land on when you're new in the bitcoin world.
Maybe landing on a youtube video like the weusecoins one, or the introductive post here on the forum is better but the url is too long to write down.
I'm thinkin in print a bunch of adesive labels with a qrcode on it, something like this (land on the youtube video) to stick on Euro around me

be free:use bitcoin

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 02:47:06 PM

I like the idea, but I agree that bitcoin.org is not the best page to land on when you're new in the bitcoin world.
Maybe landing on a youtube video like the weusecoins one, or the introductive post here on the forum is better but the url is too long to write down.
I think weusecoins.com is a great site for people new to bitcoin.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 03:31:10 PM

It doesn't hold on the new Canadian polymer banknote.  Undecided
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 03:43:59 PM

Did you try with a permanent pencil? 

guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 04:53:19 PM

Yesss.

For efficiency and quality control, perhaps a custom ink stamp is in order.

Maybe include a cheeky message as well:
[WARNING! Obsolete Currency. Replace with Bitcoin.]

I love this.

Add a "how to convert this to bitcoin" link and it'll be useful. People don't want to learn about money. They want to spend it. If they really wanted to learn about money, they wouldn't need bitcoin, because they would have forced politicians & bankers to not have such massively inflationary monetary policies.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 06:44:59 PM

I'm thinkin in print a bunch of adesive labels with a qrcode on it, something like this (land on the youtube video) to stick on Euro around me

be free:use bitcoin

Nice. There's even QR ink stamps out there.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 09:28:18 PM

Done!

I hope they are still legal tender  Cheesy
Arto (OP)
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 09:47:23 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2012, 10:18:47 PM by Arto

Done! [...]
I hope they are still legal tender  Cheesy

That's great! Please do let us know your experiences in spending these "enhanced" bills Grin

Good thinking on linking to the .org instead of the .com, by the way. Any .com site would be a little suspect, and personally I'd be more inclined to check out a .org if I happened to be on the receiving end of one of these notes.

BitLucky

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 10:00:11 PM

Why not have a qr code that links to a site that will accept that note and give bitcoins in return? (e.g. TO CONVERT THIS NOTE TO BITCOIN, SCAN HERE)
ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 10:09:45 PM

Why not have a qr code that links to a site that will accept that note and give bitcoins in return? (e.g. TO CONVERT THIS NOTE TO BITCOIN, SCAN HERE)

A bit tricky to do: how do you regulate the transaction? Pointing to an exchange will be wortless for a new user (registration and money transfer to obtain something that don't know how to use.
It can worth something maybe pointing to an informative site like weusecoins.org and put a small reward (some satoshi) on every bill redemable from it  (but again a lot of work to do: every note shall have a different code, or there will be a database of note numbers to avoid that someone use the same bill a lot of times). Not to mention that writing on note could be illegal in some countries so have a clear and direct connection from the altered note to a specific site could cause some legal problem.

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
BitLucky

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 10:16:59 PM

A bit tricky to do: how do you regulate the transaction? Pointing to an exchange will be wortless for a new user (registration and money transfer to obtain something that don't know how to use.
It can worth something maybe pointing to an informative site like weusecoins.org and put a small reward (some satoshi) on every bill redemable from it  (but again a lot of work to do: every note shall have a different code, or there will be a database of note numbers to avoid that someone use the same bill a lot of times). Not to mention that writing on note could be illegal in some countries so have a clear and direct connection from the altered note to a specific site could cause some legal problem.
It doesn't matter which note it is, but any note can be converted to BTC. Perhaps by sending it to a BitInstant type service in the mail...
01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 10:30:24 PM

At this time, there is nothing mentioned in either the Canadian Bank Act or the Canadian Criminal Code (see Part XII; Offences Relating to Currency) concerning the defacement of bank notes.

While the Bank of Canada (who decides whether a bill is to be removed from circulation and replaced) does not condone writing on bills, those bills remain legal tender and can be used in commercial transactions. For more information, please feel free to contact any member of the Bank Note Communication and Compliance Team of the Bank of Canada at 1.888.513.8212.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_illegal_to_write_on_money

Grin
mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 05:59:46 PM

I found an interesting document on this topic as regards countries currently using the euro:

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/articles/euro/documents/elteg_en.pdf

Most countries mentioned in the report have no penalties for defacing/destroying notes or coins. However:

Belgium: Defacing a coin or note punishable by 1 week to 3 months prison and/or a fine of EUR 26 to 1000.

Ireland: Melting down a coin punishable by fine up to IEP 5000 (EUR 6343.87) and/or up to 2 years in prison.

Cyprus: Fine of up to EUR 1708 for "defeaturement" of notes or coins.

Malta: UP to EUR 1500 fine for any alteration to a banknote.

Slovakia: Up to 6 months prison for damaging the national legal tender.

The report suggests that such penalties would not normally be brought against an individual if the act was done for artistic purposes, for personal (non-exchange) uses only, and not in large quantities of notes/coins.

My suggestion is that if you're going to promote Bitcoin on circulating paper money, obtain a large quantity of the smallest denomination note commonly circulated. Mark these up and keep a small number of them with you for payments. Don't present more than one or two of them in any retail transaction. Use the smallest notes because they draw less scrutiny at retailers, and because they're the most likely to be returned to other customers as change (writing on CA$50 notes is cool, but acceptance of them at retail generally means that only the retailer and a bank clerk will see them before they get returned to the central bank for destruction and replacement). Experiment with colors. Contrast is best for getting the message spread, but if retailers are consistently refusing your bold red text on light blue notes, try a color that doesn't clash with the rest of the note's color scheme.

I think I'll order me a rubber stamp...

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:06:40 PM

(writing on CA$50 notes is cool, but acceptance of them at retail generally means that only the retailer and a bank clerk will see them before they get returned to the central bank for destruction and replacement).

True, I thought about that but only had this denomination available in my wallet.
Arto (OP)
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 06:24:55 PM

Euro banknotes which are mutilated or damaged to a minor degree, e.g. by having annotations, numbers or brief sentences placed on them, will in principle not be considered to be intentionally mutilated or damaged euro banknotes.

mikegogulski

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 06:27:12 PM

(writing on CA$50 notes is cool, but acceptance of them at retail generally means that only the retailer and a bank clerk will see them before they get returned to the central bank for destruction and replacement).

True, I thought about that but only had this denomination available in my wallet.

That sounds like a good problem to have Smiley

mikegogulski

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 06:31:12 PM

Euro banknotes which are mutilated or damaged to a minor degree, e.g. by having annotations, numbers or brief sentences placed on them, will in principle not be considered to be intentionally mutilated or damaged euro banknotes.

Good find. Shops may still reject them, though.

I just ordered 5 35mmx10mm "Bitcoin.org" stamps to give out to some local comrades. Should be a nice fit for the EUR 5 note. Happy day that I was able to do this anonymously and pay in cash next week when I pick them up!

Now I gotta find me some suitably-colored ink.

Arto (OP)
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 06:41:01 PM

I just ordered 5 35mmx10mm "Bitcoin.org" stamps to give out to some local comrades. Should be a nice fit for the EUR 5 note. Happy day that I was able to do this anonymously and pay in cash next week when I pick them up!

Now I gotta find me some suitably-colored ink.

If you're able to source them, please consider offering a Bitmit listing for these stamps. I'm sure there would be some interest in them.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: