News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should doxing be banned?
Yes: it should be banned.
No: it shouldn't be banned.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [poll] Should doxing be banned?  (Read 2905 times)
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:28:41 AM

I voted for ' Yes: it should be banned.'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nrbfk

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 01:10:01 PM

Either would be fine, but the rules should be clear and consistent, and enforcement transparent (e.g. not involve forum software searching for substrings of theymos' address/phone#/BTC addy containing this info in the form of a public message).

~~Comrade Napoleon, Father of All Animals, Terror of Mankind, Protector of the Sheep-fold.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 01:35:43 PM

I'd ask anyone voting no to volunteer your doxes, because that's essentially what you're saying.

ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 01:53:28 AM

I'd ask anyone voting no to volunteer your doxes, because that's essentially what you're saying.

And I'd suggest anyone voting yes to be more careful with their personal information. Because some rule on this forum is not going to protect you much.
btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 02:34:57 AM

Depend on the situation :

I vote no if doxing is being done for some reason ( excample : Someone ever scam for a huge amount)

And vote yes, if someone try to dox for personal reason ( example : extorting )
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2015, 08:02:42 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2015, 08:37:42 AM by LaudaM

And I'd suggest anyone voting yes to be more careful with their personal information. Because some rule on this forum is not going to protect you much.
Exactly. As I've previously stated, there is no efficient way of preventing this. If someone is out to get you, they will find a way. This would require constant moderation of both users (as a person would probably created a lot of accounts) and trust (will leave negative feedback with DOX). DOX is usually just a summary of publicly available information. If you do not want this information to be public, then I suggest that you do something about it.
Also, there are cases in which 'doxing' will get you in trouble (e.g. where it is considered trolling).

Update: I've corrected my statement, and now it is correct by definition.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2015, 08:36:02 AM

Exactly. As I've previously stated, there is no efficient way of preventing this. If someone is out to get you, they will find a way. This would require constant moderation of both users (as a person would probably created a lot of accounts) and trust (will leave negative feedback with DOX). DOX is just a summary of publicly available information. If you do not want this information to be public, then I suggest that you do something about it.

I can't really repeat this this many times. Most doxes (including mine) include non public, non listed private information but under the guise that "how can we know" the admins won't action it. So to say a dox is just a collection of known information is false and misleading, because there is no way to moderate between public and private. So.... it can and will include private information.

Its not about "being careful", its that with the current moderation policy its both hypocritical, unusable and damaging to all.

Also, there are cases in which 'doxing' will get you in trouble (e.g. where it is considered trolling).
If someone doxing you as part of a proven extortion attempt doesn't get you in trouble, nothing will.

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 12:36:38 PM

If you do not want this information to be public, then I suggest that you do something about it.

I tried.

Theymos shrugged.
idyu

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 04:15:41 PM

I would only dox people who really does scam, and i would not send emails to employers etc thats just going to far.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3053

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2015, 04:26:37 PM

I would only dox people who really does scam, and i would not send emails to employers etc thats just going to far.

So you are saying I should just lie back while someone prepares to sue me and posts pedophile links about me?   Undecided

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 04:33:01 PM

So you are saying I should just lie back while someone prepares to sue me and posts pedophile links about me?   Undecided
Only if it's the right guy :-/
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 04:34:53 PM

Yes , it should be banned definitly in my opinion and it's not the only that should be banned on the forums , Social Engineering that people keep doing to get refunds on Amazon items , and gift cards and stuff should be banned aswell .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3053

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2015, 04:35:19 PM

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake.  If I did - hopefully nothing happens to the guy when they investigate and see he went no where near this forum.

I shouldn't have been goaded into sending the email in the first place.  I hope others learn from my mistake.

(No email from CVS yet)

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 05:03:54 PM

you don't get a correct dox everyday, you know. every now and then people make mistakes. so stopping people from doxing the wrong guy is almost impossible. (cmiiw)
it's either ban doxxing entirely or allow it.

btw I'm not sure which one is better so I didn't vote.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 06:16:33 PM

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake.  If I did - hopefully nothing happens to the guy when they investigate and see he went no where near this forum.

I shouldn't have been goaded into sending the email in the first place.  I hope others learn from my mistake.

(No email from CVS yet)

IMHO
if someone is calling you a pedo or making false claims contact a lawyer. he will contact theymos for ip info.
then your lawyer / law enforcement can/will dox that guy...

i dont think forum users should do this, nor should such info be allowed in any public form.

EDIT: anything else smells like vigilantism

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
GannickusX

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 07:14:19 PM

Yeah by your logic everything should be allowed, you would tell people to be more careful, why did you get raped? You werent careful enough, why did you got hacked, you werent careful enough, by your logic we should let any criminal free because it´s not their fault, it´s our fault
ABitNut

Activity: 764

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 12:36:35 AM

Yeah by your logic everything should be allowed, you would tell people to be more careful, why did you get raped? You werent careful enough, why did you got hacked, you werent careful enough, by your logic we should let any criminal free because it´s not their fault, it´s our fault

If you left you car parked at a mall, unlocked with the keys in the ignition, it's not allowed for anyone to take your car without your explicit permission. However I would suggest to be a bit more careful and not leaving your car like that in the first place. Because some people don't follow the rule book and your car will be gone.

Nowhere did I say any criminal should get off the hook because the victim was (too) careless. I will say however that I am against rules that cannot be enforced. Those will only restrict decent people and help those who do not care about rules to get ahead.

I'm not against releasing someones personal information without their consent if it's the best option there is. We've seen scammers do it to discredit their critics. Those scammers would do it regardless of any rule (though they may have to use a different storage location). I don't want the "good guys" to be limited where the bad guys can do it without any consequence.
josephno1

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Get Free Mobile Data http://get.kickbit.com/1/oexq

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 02:29:49 AM

How would this forums stop others from doxing others? If they ban dox dump type of posts, it isn't going to stop anyone from doing it

devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 02:39:44 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2015, 03:01:34 AM by devthedev

Exactly. As I've previously stated, there is no efficient way of preventing this. If someone is out to get you, they will find a way. This would require constant moderation of both users (as a person would probably created a lot of accounts) and trust (will leave negative feedback with DOX). DOX is just a summary of publicly available information. If you do not want this information to be public, then I suggest that you do something about it.

I can't really repeat this this many times. Most doxes (including mine) include non public, non listed private information but under the guise that "how can we know" the admins won't action it. So to say a dox is just a collection of known information is false and misleading, because there is no way to moderate between public and private. So.... it can and will include private information.

Its not about "being careful", its that with the current moderation policy its both hypocritical, unusable and damaging to all.

If someone doxing you as part of a proven extortion attempt doesn't get you in trouble, nothing will.

Exactly. A service of mine was exploited in the past without reason and my DOX was dumped on the forum. All of the information was obviously obtained by illicit means and I've brought it up with the staff on multiple occasions. A global mod replied with
Frankly, its not malicious, there is backstory in the thread itself, so if I potential employer found it and didn't like it, it also says that the guy's site was hacked, it doesn't speak ill against their character, not that that would really factor into whether it was removed or not.

I see no reason to remove it.

It didn't make any sense, service exploited, and then a DOX was dumped with information obtained from the single hacked account and the thread's removal was refused.
I could care less now, but there needs to be consistency with the moderation of these instances.

1echo

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

scams hunter!

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 03:45:35 AM

doxxing is needed for scammers

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: