Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:28:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to all the old timers?  (Read 3899 times)
8up

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 02:30:58 PM

The reasons above are all true, but the "creative moderation" that twisted legitimate debate and discussion about the bifurcating future of Bitcoin as either a person-2-person or settlement network into altcoin censorship gave this forum a final huge kick in the nuts.  It was a huge loss-of-confidence in the impartiality of this forum regardless of which side you were on.

And whether you agreed or disagreed with the author of the GCBU thread about that issue, the fact remains that he provided an awesome distillation of and commentary on current world economic events.  GCBU readers would then pop off and comment on other threads in speculation. 

Basically this forum and bitcoin discussion as a whole just had its Mt. Gox moment.

bitco.in is where lots of old-timers went.

Always wrong until not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
worhiper_-_

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 02:35:16 PM

Many of the early adopters eventually left the scene or stopped caring. Theymos has said that the administration of the forum was eventually passed to him for reasons like that. I don't find it surprising that over time some people lose interest over bitcoin. After all, bitcoin is a thing, an idea, a tool and neither of those don't remains interesting forever to everybody.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 04:07:16 PM

LOL.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Ektra

Activity: 137
Merit: 106

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 05:22:31 PM

It's been a boring year, and on top of that new people are always joining so the ratio of newbie posts to oldsters goes up.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 09:02:29 PM

Some died. Not everybody can survive.

Wink

Homeslice

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 11:49:23 PM

I'm an alt of an old timer. I don't even want to be associated with coming back! If you are referring to the Speculation forum, many of us left this cesspool for TradingView.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 12:31:42 PM

The "Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP." folks migrated to the bitco.in forum.
Skeksis

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 01:16:51 PM

There's only really so much you can discuss on a forum and most people get bored or tired of all the stupid get rich newbs and negative trolls. If you were really invested in bitcoin from the early days you'll either be chilling on your yacht or maybe busy setting up bitcoin business (or spending your cash) so probably not much time to post on a forum anymore.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 01:53:01 PM

If you were really invested in bitcoin from the early days you'll either be chilling on your yacht or maybe busy setting up bitcoin business (or spending your cash) so probably not much time to post on a forum anymore.

Depends. If you're still working on crypto related projects there's still a lot of discussion and business to be found on here. And it's hard to find like minded folks in real life who have an interest in this subject. There are lots of corners of this forum where proper discourse still happens.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 03:20:40 PM

forum stagnating as much as the price. stopping one of the most interesting threads is going to push people away. maybe thats what was wanted though *shrugs*

doesn't matter if btctalk dies though. honey badger don't care.

there is no point arguing with the rolling waves of incoming trolls about anything, as soon as the tide turns, they'll all wash back out to sea.

its like every internet community. X is the cancer killing Y etc etc

the thing itself remains. whatever happens the trolls only have there words. I have bitcoin.

In the end we either both have nothing or ...

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 08:25:26 PM

During less volatile accumulation periods many folks, bears and bulls, tend to chill out and do other things w/ their time. This is pretty much the case for some of the old timers around here at this point.

yup yup
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 08:41:14 PM

forum stagnating as much as the price. stopping one of the most interesting threads is going to push people away. maybe thats what was wanted though *shrugs*

doesn't matter if btctalk dies though. honey badger don't care.

there is no point arguing with the rolling waves of incoming trolls about anything, as soon as the tide turns, they'll all wash back out to sea.

its like every internet community. X is the cancer killing Y etc etc

the thing itself remains. whatever happens the trolls only have there words. I have bitcoin.

In the end we either both have nothing or ...

This. The engine was running a little rough, sputtering a bit, and the solution devised was to take a sledge hammer to the carburetor.
Nami

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 03:08:57 AM

Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum to post this.
Wondering where they went...I used to lurk around here and it was easy to simply ignore the shills on both ends and obtain some real wisdom.
Now it seems like overwhelming majority either bought at $800+ and are mad about it, or they fall into 2 catagories of extremist thoughts ie;moon or failed experiment. I'm long...guess I'm a bull"tard" lol (who's the genius that came up with that moniker)? and I don't trade. For a few years now, I buy small and slow...would really like to hear from some of the jedis I used to see here. Did they all stop visiting, or did they get tired of meaningless posts declaring fate of btc to be either dead or best thing since sliced bread?
 I just read through the speculative board and I see wonderful topics that, if discussed like intelligent adults, would really be beneficial to the entire community. But those (very relevent) topics are plauged with nonsense. How is an old Bulltard like myself supposed to learn anything new?
 Bah...guess I really DO sound old, huh? Go ahead and clown on my post but please, if anyone knows where the new playground is...help me out and link me up.
Ty for listening.
~the pitbully

I guess they are relaxing or whatever they're doing and I'm sure they are just keeping there coins in a safe place. And they are not totally gone.
MasterYii

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 05:39:27 AM

Wondering where they went...I used to lurk around here and it was easy to simply ignore the shills on both ends and obtain some real wisdom.
Now it seems like overwhelming majority either bought at $800+ and are mad about it, or they fall into 2 catagories of extremist thoughts ie;moon or failed experiment. I'm long...guess I'm a bull"tard" lol (who's the genius that came up with that moniker)? and I don't trade. For a few years now, I buy small and slow...would really like to hear from some of the jedis I used to see here. Did they all stop visiting, or did they get tired of meaningless posts declaring fate of btc to be either dead or best thing since sliced bread?
 I just read through the speculative board and I see wonderful topics that, if discussed like intelligent adults, would really be beneficial to the entire community. But those (very relevent) topics are plauged with nonsense. How is an old Bulltard like myself supposed to learn anything new?
 Bah...guess I really DO sound old, huh? Go ahead and clown on my post but please, if anyone knows where the new playground is...help me out and link me up.
Ty for listening.
~the pitbully

They have given up and stop hoping for bitcoin and sold their coins to others.
Its what they do I guess.
Feri22

Activity: 748

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 10:44:45 AM

Ty for listening.
~the pitbully

They have given up and stop hoping for bitcoin and sold their coins to others.
Its what they do I guess.

Based on what? Most old timers hold at least some coins...what if...They just leaved this forum since the heavy trolling and censorship came...I loved the wall thread before 2 years, many smart people were there...now? It is mostly trash after trash...so these things demotivates you from being active in the forum, but it doesn't demotivate people from btc ideology and possible future financial gains
jtalk
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:36:14 AM

I thin there are no more old timers almost majority of them have sold their coins and enjoying with cash money.What remain they are just waiting for Bitcoin to reach all time higher in few years.Some of them will keep holding for years through think and thin.

OOOBTC.com

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬

Bounty
[/center]
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 10:02:09 PM

I thin there are no more old timers almost majority of them have sold their coins and enjoying with cash money.What remain they are just waiting for Bitcoin to reach all time higher in few years.Some of them will keep holding for years through think and thin.

sold all there coins? lol

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 10:11:27 PM

Some of us really old timers are still around. Smiley

Buy & Hold
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 08:31:12 AM

Ty for listening.
~the pitbully

The old timers are laughing all the way to the bank.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 04:33:28 PM

censorship gave this forum a final huge kick in the nuts    Angry

this forum just had its Mt. Gox moment   Cry

If this forum is so censored and Gox-like, why does thezerg still post here?  Is hypocrisy a hobby of his or what?   Undecided

"Lots?"  More like 6...

OK Mr. thezerg, time for you to fork off and join your fellow dead-ender zero-percenter friends on Frap.doc's Island of Misfit Gavinistas!

Don't forget to scramble your password and turn in your prox card at the front desk!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
██████