Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:56:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry pi usb device limitation?  (Read 15048 times)
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 10:45:13 PM

So my raspberry pi is coming in soon and I'm wondering if I'll have any issues mining with 9 bfl singles. I read somewhere that there was a 7 device limit people were running into. Is that true? If so, is it a memory limitation? Apparently all existing and future orders have been bumped from 256mb to 512mb.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 10:58:48 PM

You can always increase the power to the usb ports with this mod:
http://theiopage.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/increasing-raspberry-pis-usb-host.html

not sure about a device limit, but it could be related. - could you link me to an article please?

Also note that the Ethernet is ethernet to USB to the SOC.

CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 11:13:05 PM

You can always increase the power to the usb ports with this mod:
http://theiopage.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/increasing-raspberry-pis-usb-host.html

not sure about a device limit, but it could be related. - could you link me to an article please?

Also note that the Ethernet is ethernet to USB to the SOC.

Don't remember where I read it, no official article, just hearsay. I have a powered 10 port usb hub so if it's a power issue I should be in good shape.

jborkl

Activity: 246

Team Heritage Motorsports

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 01:27:14 AM

I have a raspberry pi , and have a card for both xbmc and debian. The device is awesome, especially for xbmc.

I would not trust it to mine with 6 ghash of equipment, it is not stable enough for that.  They are prone to overheat and turn off, also there is a lan bug in my rev 2. Drops randomly

I also have a 512 coming from element 14

Zeek_W

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:34:20 AM

I would not trust it to mine with 6 ghash of equipment, it is not stable enough for that.  They are prone to overheat and turn off, also there is a lan bug in my rev 2. Drops randomly

yeah I have heard of this issue before - you aren't the only one  Angry

jborkl

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 01:44:29 AM

Xbmc, no lan, Burned every dvd to a Toshiba external 750, programmed my harmony to act as the remote

Bought the mpeg2 lic, is awesome.  Best use for it I think

CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 05:05:47 AM

I have a raspberry pi , and have a card for both xbmc and debian. The device is awesome, especially for xbmc.

That's disappointing, I was hoping to use it for my BFL equipment when I shut off my dual 7970 machine for good.

jborkl

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 05:10:36 AM

Well I will be happy to let you know how the 512 does.

They should have called it rev c, looks much improved.

I should have the new one in 2 weeks.

Zeek_W

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 05:12:46 AM

That's disappointing, I was hoping to use it for my BFL equipment when I shut off my dual 7970 machine for good.

maybe time to search for some kind of MicroATX motherboard - I know I am

tenzor

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 07:03:08 AM

I have Pi, running 12 Cairnsmore1 (6usb). There are USB devices limit. 14 usb devices and probably usb hub limitation (2 hubs?). Also, it's very unstable with borads usb-serial converters, hanging randomly, so I switch usb speed to Full Speed. And turned off ethernet, since I use usb wireless. It works so far, 20+ hours. Locally connected keyboard respond very slowly when mining started. Looks like to much usb traffic and buggy usb driver. SSH works good.
Also, first hub (http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Power-Adapter-Control-Switches/dp/B0051PGX2I/ref=pd_ybh_7) was backpowering Pi, so voltage on Pi drops below 4.70v.
RPi 1 rev, 256, running raspbian with last updates.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 07:55:19 AM

i have a pi and thought it would make a decent miner base......

But its not!

The Pi in its current state is a real bitch when it comes to USB connections. I hardly get a single Ztex board working there for a few hours. Then out of no reason the pi looses the device (including the hub) or freezes .....
A hard reset is then necessary to get it working again:/

dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 12:30:36 PM

So using an asic will probably not work because of too much traffic via usb? Thats pretty bad..

Hai
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 12:44:01 PM

pi development is proceeding rather quickly, patience people, its 3 BTC

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:06:02 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2012, 02:24:01 PM by Gatorhex

It is an IRQ memory address problem, I think, not a powered USB problem.

There were only enough memory addresses reserved for 8 USB devices and it uses 1 of those for networking, leaving you with a max of 7 that can talk at the same time.

You seem to be able to plug more than 8 devices in but they will be dropped and stop communicating if the USB/CPU gets too busy.

I'm going to use a netbook instead.
dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:13:21 PM

but what about the bandwith needed for an asic? I dont know anything about it, obviously nobody does, but im curious.
It seems my 1200mh/s server (4 gpus) uses less than 1,5 KB/s on wlan traffic. I dont think an external miner, like an asic, will generate anything above that traffic on an usb port. Of course the miner would also run on 1200mh/s to compare.

Anybody can give me a good guess what problems there might be using several asics on a pi?

Hai
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:20:21 PM

I had problems with my rpi and 1 ModMiner Quad. it would mine for a few hours then just stop... On the other hand I didnt play with it very long to find a solution or even what the problem was. Could have been the way I set it up... Need to dig it back out and try again.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Gatorhex

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:25:26 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2012, 02:54:46 PM by Gatorhex

Here you go, I found this..

"The Foundation has discovered that the controller and its driver expect realtime response from the ARM core, and if Linux's non-realtime scheduling doesn't respond in 1 ms, a split transaction USB event can be dropped. Not surprisingly, this occurs regularly and produces lost mouse clicks, stuck keyboard keys, etc.."

"This USB core had so many problem that we end up making it work only in full speed mode (and not high speed one). As you said split transaction don't work well (in our case we had seen irq storm that make linux freeze)."

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/08/24/2228251/serious-problems-with-usb-and-ethernet-on-the-raspberry-pi

Broadcom, enough said!  Roll Eyes
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 12:23:17 AM

RS components shipped my 512mb today, maybe they've fixed some of the USB issues with this revision. If not I guess I'll have another toy to play with.

Zeek_W

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 12:41:24 AM

RS components shipped my 512mb today, maybe they've fixed some of the USB issues with this revision. If not I guess I'll have another toy to play with.

Keep us updated!

Gatorhex

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 01:51:31 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2012, 02:10:05 AM by Gatorhex

lol Raspberry Pi banned the guy for pointing out the faults with Broadcom's USB.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=15320&sid=26ec7c5d29579e1ed13469d1e104bba7&start=25

Bid odd that a charity would not take criticism well (so I dug deeper!)...

...well it becomes clear when you realise the project co-founder is employed by Broadcom!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_Foundation

Come on! How is that for a conflict of interest! No wonder it uses problematic Broadcom parts!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: