Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:44:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why not pump and dump those jerks?  (Read 7546 times)
Desolator (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:22:54 AM

The title probably already gave it away but I think we're all thinking this.  You know how quite a large number of BTC transactions involve illegal stuff?  Don't you wish you could damage those guys' business or basically take their money?  Well, most drug-buying, burnout, ass clowns aren't exactly way into following the BTC community.  Drug dealers probably can't read so well to begin with so needless to say, most aren't here following every little post Tongue

So, if someone were to say let's everyone refuse to sell any BTC on any exchange for 1 week starting on XXXX, the price would skyrocket and then everyone dump it after the 1 week and all the money that was collected illegally at the artificially inflated buying price would go straight into our pockets during a big sell off Cheesy

What do you think?  Could we get enough people to follow along while keeping enough people in the dark?  Or would early sellers, etc ruin it by not exactly following the policy?  Would we even have enough people?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:45:41 AM

you can't lock out anyone.

the first private non-tech-interested people who populated the internet were also perverts, drug addicts, criminals searching for contact with like-minded people.

we have to walk through this wild-west-times again in bitcoin. maybe we can use some of the experience from the late 90's.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 05:48:02 AM

The title probably already gave it away but I think we're all thinking this.  You know how quite a large number of BTC transactions involve illegal stuff?  Don't you wish you could damage those guys' business or basically take their money?  Well, most drug-buying, burnout, ass clowns aren't exactly way into following the BTC community.  Drug dealers probably can't read so well to begin with so needless to say, most aren't here following every little post Tongue

So, if someone were to say let's everyone refuse to sell any BTC on any exchange for 1 week starting on XXXX, the price would skyrocket and then everyone dump it after the 1 week and all the money that was collected illegally at the artificially inflated buying price would go straight into our pockets during a big sell off Cheesy

What do you think?  Could we get enough people to follow along while keeping enough people in the dark?  Or would early sellers, etc ruin it by not exactly following the policy?  Would we even have enough people?

What makes you think that they're using the exchanges to launder their funds?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 06:06:21 AM

So, what do you buy regularly using Bitcoins?  What products do you sell for Bitcoins?  Why should anyone care what you think?  What percentage of your income goes towards Bitcoin trade?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 06:08:31 AM

The title probably already gave it away but I think we're all thinking this.  You know how quite a large number of BTC transactions involve illegal stuff?  Don't you wish you could damage those guys' business or basically take their money? 

Let me try to follow the logic.  

Maybe you believe that anything illegal anywhere is therefore bad, because after all somebody said it was bad and you don't bother to think so you just believe.  Also you might believe that hurting others will make your own troubles go away, perhaps somebody did that to you and why not follow the example, saves thinking.  Am I close?    

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 06:16:28 AM

Oh, and in case it's not obvious.  This is a stupid idea because illegal trade will occur regardless of volatility.  Legitimate businesses need a stable currency before they will adopt it.  You are only defeating your own goal.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 06:28:15 AM

Oh, and in case it's not obvious.  This is a stupid idea because illegal trade will occur regardless of volatility.  Legitimate businesses need a stable currency before they will adopt it.  You are only defeating your own goal.

Yes, but legitimate businessmen can read so they'll be in on it  Roll Eyes

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Idzy

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 06:37:20 AM

Som criminals probably can't read that doesn't mean they are stupid and don't employ technical people that know whats happening.

Successful Transactions with: 21after2
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:16:25 AM

So you are basically planning to do crowdsourced market manipulation? Not gonna work. You have funny branding though, as if "criminal scum" were the target. This would as well harm honest traders or legit btc investors/users. But it won't work so it doesn't matter.

majorddf

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:26:58 AM

What you suggest is just as unethical to my mind as laundering money or peddling drugs and would make you no better than those you intended to harm.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 10:17:08 AM

What does make you think that SR people don't read or participate in this forum?

And again, current stability is good. Don't try to change it.
mysteriousawake

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:45:33 PM

You decide the price
YOu decide the path
they have been telling you this .....

how many need to sell and when...

DONT FORGET TO DONATE IF I HELPED YOU
steamboat

Activity: 648
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:41:46 PM

1. Drug dealers probably can't read so well to begin with? The drug dealers in question were smart enough to use a computer to set up tor to log on to a site to use encrypted communications to buy and sell goods using a currency most people are just beginning to wrap their heads around. Yeah, you're right. They probably can't read.

2. You want to manipulate the market to capitalize on less educated bitcoin users. Ignoring the moral issue, and the fact that price manipulation is illegal in regulated currencies, the volatility would shake the confidence of anyone on the fence about adopting bitcoin, and hurt the "legitimate" businesses who have begun to adopt bitcoin.

3. I had a three, but I was doing drugs last night and I can't really remember what it was.   

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
fishface

Activity: 223

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 03:50:21 PM

Some of those "drug-buying, burnout, ass clowns" probably follow the bitcoin market (and financial markets in general) more closely than you do. Brilliant idea though.  Roll Eyes
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:00:28 PM

Why do people care what the BTC are used for.. Seriously? I read SR is doing 1.4m in transactions or something monthly. Do you want BTC to stay afloat? Yeah screw the 2m monthly trades of BTC, and drop the price of your BTC.
mysteriousawake

Activity: 193

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:08:33 PM

what about a triangle breakout to the upside by bad people in the legal market
,thats not manipulation

can be done here, twice the value or more for your drugs or whatever you sell
in the legal markets

sky is the limit for criminals with cash in any market, brilliant

DONT FORGET TO DONATE IF I HELPED YOU
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:12:19 PM

The title probably already gave it away but I think we're all thinking this. 
No.

You know how quite a large number of BTC transactions involve illegal stuff? 
No.

Don't you wish you could damage those guys' business or basically take their money? 
No?? And why should I care?

Well, most drug-buying, burnout, ass clowns aren't exactly way into following the BTC community.   
According to you they are making up a "large number of BTC transactions" - which is it?

Drug dealers probably can't read so well to begin with so needless to say, most aren't here following every little post Tongue
You should stop worrying about drug dealers and work on doing a bit more reading yourself before making ridiculous posts.

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 05:33:11 PM

1. Drug dealers probably can't read so well to begin with? The drug dealers in question were smart enough to use a computer to set up tor to log on to a site to use encrypted communications to buy and sell goods using a currency most people are just beginning to wrap their heads around. Yeah, you're right. They probably can't read.

2. You want to manipulate the market to capitalize on less educated bitcoin users. Ignoring the moral issue, and the fact that price manipulation is illegal in regulated currencies, the volatility would shake the confidence of anyone on the fence about adopting bitcoin, and hurt the "legitimate" businesses who have begun to adopt bitcoin.

3. I had a three, but I was doing drugs last night and I can't really remember what it was.   

wuaha, just perfect Cheesy

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
auzaar

Activity: 151

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 06:58:16 PM

So your assumption is that people like you and people who will listen to you make the market? I think they make 0% of the market
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 07:27:18 PM

This forum is full of idiots. The fact that this kind of thread keeps popping up says it all.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: