Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:52:16 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you tried XAPO debit card?  (Read 12720 times)
bitart (OP)

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:41:08 PM

I have received my XAPO debit card (VISA) and have tried it in the EU. I have noticed that if you pay in a different currency, e.g. the card is USD and you pay in EUR, they charge you 3% more.
I would be happy to know how do you use your card, e.g. mainly ATM cashout or POS payment etc.
Are there any problems with the acceptance of the card? E.g. the shop doesn't recognize the issuer (debit) and doesn't want to accept the card despite of the VISA logo?
Thanks!
scumbag

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

★Support For PHILIPPINES Sub Forum★

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:26:35 AM

No, I haven't used the Xapo debit card yet. Although I am planning on getting one but I believe I can't use it here in my country.

crazy-pilot

Activity: 861
Merit: 253

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 10:31:52 AM

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago but until now haven't received the card yet, can't wait though to try it out. Will keep you guys posted on my experience with it.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 10:37:25 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2015, 10:52:35 AM by Slark

I have received my XAPO debit card (VISA) and have tried it in the EU. I have noticed that if you pay in a different currency, e.g. the card is USD and you pay in EUR, they charge you 3% more.
I would be happy to know how do you use your card, e.g. mainly ATM cashout or POS payment etc.
Are there any problems with the acceptance of the card? E.g. the shop doesn't recognize the issuer (debit) and doesn't want to accept the card despite of the VISA logo?
Thanks!
Aren't we bitcoin users exactly because we did not want to pay horrendous exchange fees and we wanted direct control and ability to manage our money? Bitcoin Debit/Credit cards are a cancer imo. (additional 3%, really?!) you think you are supporting bitcoin by using them? You are not.
DataGroup

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 10:41:28 AM

I got my card 6 weeks ago. I used it only once without any problems. My Currency is €, so no problems with exchange fees.

futurebit640

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:59:07 AM

Thanks!
Aren't we bitcoin users exactly because we did not want to pay horrendous exchange fees and we wanted direct control and ability to manage our money? Bitcoin Debit/Credit cards are a cancer imo. (additional 3%, really?!) you think you are supporting bitcoin by using them? You are not.

In my country if I pay around two to three percent fee then they will transfer my money to by bank account. So I feel that is less fee compared to these debit card charges.

I haven't tried so for any these bitcoin debit cards but in future I may try  Wink
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 03:11:46 PM

Currently i am afraid to use these debit cards because the prices are going over my head and they also charge money for atm withdrawl too. I am happy to wait for some more time to see lowered prices and then will apply for one.

Same here. I wanted to give it a try. Just because of higher fees I decided not to go for Xapo debit card right away. But surely I will give it a try when bitcoin prices to sky scrappers. I feel using bitcoin for daily needs very much needed. So, using bitcoin in the mode of debit cards would be very useful.
Operand

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 03:57:48 PM

Actually the Xapo card is really good. If you have to go abroad and essentially your bitcoin, its perfect.

Also, its alot quicker and perhaps cheaper than LocalBitcoins to cash out bitcoins. Yes they do charge a fee, but their exchange rate is very reasonable as opposed to the premium you would pay to sell on LBC.
bitart (OP)

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 10:47:02 PM

Thanks!

As you can see I'm new on this forum and completly new to bitcoin. I have started to read the forum from the beginning, and I haven't finished it yet.
The reason why I have tried this card is that I wanted to know if I will have bitcoins in the future, how I can spend it in the easiest way. LBC is not an option in my town, and maybe it doesn't worth my time to change the btc to fiat with someone personally.
The card will exchange for me the exact amount I need and this is comfortable for me. (I'm lazy Smiley )
And I think this can be the link between the average (lazy) people and bitcoin. Most of you guys are really tech or geek I think (me too). But if e.g. Average Joe can go to the shop with his card and can pay with it from his btc wallet without any hassle, maybe it can support bitcoin to spread faster.
I'm new to bitcoin, but I'm ready to learn, I just need to get directions what is the way forward, this is why I ask questions and read the forum. So mercy please, I really want to support bitcoin in the future Smiley
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:07:52 PM

Thanks!

As you can see I'm new on this forum and completly new to bitcoin. I have started to read the forum from the beginning, and I haven't finished it yet.
The reason why I have tried this card is that I wanted to know if I will have bitcoins in the future, how I can spend it in the easiest way. LBC is not an option in my town, and maybe it doesn't worth my time to change the btc to fiat with someone personally.
The card will exchange for me the exact amount I need and this is comfortable for me. (I'm lazy Smiley )
And I think this can be the link between the average (lazy) people and bitcoin. Most of you guys are really tech or geek I think (me too). But if e.g. Average Joe can go to the shop with his card and can pay with it from his btc wallet without any hassle, maybe it can support bitcoin to spread faster.
I'm new to bitcoin, but I'm ready to learn, I just need to get directions what is the way forward, this is why I ask questions and read the forum. So mercy please, I really want to support bitcoin in the future Smiley

Well, the ultimate goal should be getting paid on Bitcoin and having merchants everywhere, so you simply have to download Mycellium in your phone, transact pocket money on there just as you would carry a physical wallet and that's all. All other workarounds aren't as cool and aren't a true new alternatiev economy arising because they depend too much on fiat and the old system.
crazy-pilot

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 08:46:02 AM

I ordered the card right away, what was your delivery time?

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 10:35:57 AM

What makes it better than SEPA withdrawal from an exchange?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 02:29:47 PM

I got my card 6 weeks ago. I used it only once without any problems. My Currency is €, so no problems with exchange fees.

fees are lower if you use euro? how ti work, because i've always avoided to kind of card because of high fees
koinsuka

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

Zap.org - Data Feed Oracle Marketplace

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 04:59:23 PM

with this nice feature from Xapo debit card, can this system for doing deposit, withdraw at bank machine, or transfer to others?
how long time we can get card from start submit?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Zap StoreDecentralized Marketplace for Oracles ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Token Sale October 21st ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ FacebookTwitterLinkedYouTube ■  WhitepaperReddit ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
bitart (OP)

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 09:12:15 PM

I've ordered the card on 4th september and arrived on 11th september. It was issued in Giblaltar, so to send it to EU is not a big deal. I don't know if you order it from overseas, what is the difference in shipping time.
You should check the fees on the xapo website. In my case, there was one time cost (issuer fee) but purchase on POS terminals is free. ATM withdrawal has similar fees like the fiat cards' at my bank.
Interesting, that my firs purchase was a Coke for .99 EUR. Later on I have checked my transaction history and the purchase was .81 EUR (the bitcoin amount that was debited on my card was equal to less EUR when the payment had been cleared) Maybe it depends on the current BTC/EUR exchange rate, that can vary because of it's high volatility. It's possible that when I have payed with the card, the BTC was a bit weaker but later on when the payment had been cleared the BTC had gained strength and the same EUR had cost less BTC. If it's true, the opposite situation can also happen and if the BTC becomes weaker later on that coke could have cost me 1.11 EUR as well in the end.
As I have only used my card a few times since then, I'm not sure yet about the exchange process and about the process of the payment clearing.
bitart (OP)

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 09:21:28 PM

What makes it better than SEPA withdrawal from an exchange?

I think if you want to use the card instead of your fiat bank card on everyday living expenses (because you want to spend the hard earned bitcoins in the real world without hassle) you only need to make sure that your xapo wallet has enouh bitcoins, you don't need to exchange some BTC to local currency beforehead, card (and xapo) does it for you time to time when you use your card on a POS.
Of course if you want to deal with a bigger amount of BTC, SEPA should be easier for one time transactions.
crazy-pilot

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 09:46:20 AM

Well it look like I already had the card in my possession for a week! The card is send in a blank enveloppe. And nothing about Xapo is mentioned in the letter attached. It tells you to activate it at mychoicecorporate.com. The card looks black and as a "company text" just had debit card.

It seems Xapo took the easy route, that company just makes creditcards for private (personal) and companies in volume.

In the letter it tells you to activate it on that website, why not Xapo? There is no way whatsoever when you receive it that you know it's the Xapo card, it looks like you've just received a debit card, I even wondered where it came from because I didn't order anything like that (except Xapo of course).

The card activation process does NOT work, they have system issues at  mychoicecorporate.com, i've contacted support and the answer was: "We are working on it, we have problems with our systems on multiple levels, we have no estimate when it will be solved".

After this I contacted Xapo when I would receive my card, because it's been 25 days. They told me that I would receive a blank letter, with a unbranded creditcard, black color, visa, and my name already on it. So that is how I found out that it's actually the Xapo card.

I told support about the activation problem, their response was: "You don't have to activate the card, you already did so and set your pin in our Xapo app.", after which I tried paying with the card and it got rejected, obviously it has to be activated, as said in the letter and even on the card[b/].

Your whole card management will be done on another companies website, not Xapo.

I must say if it works it is all fine but:

• The card should be branded with the Xapo logo
  • The letter should clearly state that it is the Xapo card
  • Personal letter from Xapo how to activate, and how this card works with the mychoicecorporate.com online account management vs. Xapo app
  • Xapo support reply is fast, that is one thing, until it gets complicated and they seem not informed about the Xapo card

Again for the people interested, i'll keep you posted with how things will go from here, I hope my post helps other people through this strange and unclear process.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
bitart (OP)

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:29:52 PM

I have received it in blank envelope as well.
If you have a closer look on the attached letter, there is an option in connection wit the card activation that tells you that you can choose to activate the card on the issuer's website (xapo)
On the xapo site I have activated the card, it was an easy, few minutes process. They have send me a link to a secured site where I got my PIN to the card. The whole process had the two factor authentication, I had to use the 15 seconds 6 digit random code from my mobile app to be able to view the PIN and to activate the card.
And that was all, the card is OK, activated and working.
Personally I don't care that there is no Xapo logo on the card, maybe it saves me a few questions in the shops.
Also, to be a bit paranoid, I don't mind that the attached letter doesn't mention Xapo. If the letter got lost on it's way to me, it could be hardly be guessed what kind of card is it, so nobody will spend my bitcoins Smiley
examplens
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 3271

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 08:58:05 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2015, 06:51:39 AM by examplens

i think that it is best to use currency which is the most common in your country. in your case, since you are from EU, you make default euro.
place a euro like default currency , Do not exchange on ATM or POS

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 09:08:33 PM

Well it look like I already had the card in my possession for a week! The card is send in a blank enveloppe. And nothing about Xapo is mentioned in the letter attached. It tells you to activate it at mychoicecorporate.com. The card looks black and as a "company text" just had debit card.

It seems Xapo took the easy route, that company just makes creditcards for private (personal) and companies in volume.

In the letter it tells you to activate it on that website, why not Xapo? There is no way whatsoever when you receive it that you know it's the Xapo card, it looks like you've just received a debit card, I even wondered where it came from because I didn't order anything like that (except Xapo of course).

The card activation process does NOT work, they have system issues at  mychoicecorporate.com, i've contacted support and the answer was: "We are working on it, we have problems with our systems on multiple levels, we have no estimate when it will be solved".

After this I contacted Xapo when I would receive my card, because it's been 25 days. They told me that I would receive a blank letter, with a unbranded creditcard, black color, visa, and my name already on it. So that is how I found out that it's actually the Xapo card.

I told support about the activation problem, their response was: "You don't have to activate the card, you already did so and set your pin in our Xapo app.", after which I tried paying with the card and it got rejected, obviously it has to be activated, as said in the letter and even on the card[b/].

Your whole card management will be done on another companies website, not Xapo.

I must say if it works it is all fine but:

• The card should be branded with the Xapo logo
  • The letter should clearly state that it is the Xapo card
  • Personal letter from Xapo how to activate, and how this card works with the mychoicecorporate.com online account management vs. Xapo app
  • Xapo support reply is fast, that is one thing, until it gets complicated and they seem not informed about the Xapo card

Again for the people interested, i'll keep you posted with how things will go from here, I hope my post helps other people through this strange and unclear process.

I think that this company that issues these debit cards is using also the e-coin exchange.
They offer also the same type (bitcoin debit card) but it works a bit different because you have to convert first in their website then using the balance on the card, somebody has received the same design (blank black) of the debit card.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: