Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:49:51 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why bitcointalk.org Looks so Bad  (Read 4423 times)
TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:17:47 PM

I mean, Seriously, We have a growing userbase, Still We are stuck with such designs

We could easily ask a person for designing or even just buy a theme

The forum looks like Windows 98

It sounds like you don't know how to appreciate "a classic". Windows 98 wasn't that bad, and neither is the forum design. The growing user-base is almost irrelevant to how the forum looks and we should be primarily focused on security not being pretty.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:33:23 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2015, 06:09:44 PM by gentlemand

Lord knows how convoluted this forum's code has become. It's an unfortunate metaphor for bitcoin itself. Maybe people are too tentative to make mods in case it all unravels. Either way I have no complaints about its style. It gets the job done efficiently.
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 05:37:16 PM

I mean, Seriously, We have a growing userbase, Still We are stuck with such designs

We could easily ask a person for designing or even just buy a theme

The forum looks like Windows 98

It sounds like you don't know how to appreciate "a classic". Windows 98 wasn't that bad, and neither is the forum design. The growing user-base is almost irrelevant to how the forum looks and we should be primarily focused on security not being pretty.

Yeah, honestly.. I couldn't imagine a better design than this as it already is.  It very simple and functions well, which is a good thing. You don't have to have bells and whistles to make people want to come here, the idea is to make it very simple and to allow free flowing conversations to happen about all cryptos.  I personally like it.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 06:18:23 PM

It does look dull at times and takes time to load. SMF also has limitations like threads "cannot be merged" and "the inability to turn of notifications to threads we have replied", the new forum is being awaited by me. There is no option like Quick Reply as well and I've suggested many additions for the new forum. Hope that they are considered.

achow101_alt

Activity: 268
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:01:15 PM

It does look dull at times and takes time to load. SMF also has limitations like threads "cannot be merged" and "the inability to turn of notifications to threads we have replied", the new forum is being awaited by me. There is no option like Quick Reply as well and I've suggested many additions for the new forum. Hope that they are considered.
I like the simplistic look. The loading time is unrelated to smf, it has to do with the server it is running on and the webserver software. Also, quick reply is a setting you can turn on. It is under Look and Layout Preferences.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
zcxvbs

Activity: 630

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:18:29 AM

There is a new forum underway with lots of developers working on the project. I generally am used to posting from my laptop anyway but I genernally prefer it when forum administrators enable the Tapatalk plugin for my phone. I may not like the plane jane look of this forum anyway but to give to programmers at SMF credit, "plane jane" is suitable to any topic, and a theme like this is easily package-able. CakePHP for example comes with a similar plain looking theme that is easy for developers to work with. Customization is key.

The question is when will the new forum be here? It's was long long time ago when we were talking about the new forum.
TriggerX

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:33:07 AM

There is a new forum underway with lots of developers working on the project. I generally am used to posting from my laptop anyway but I genernally prefer it when forum administrators enable the Tapatalk plugin for my phone. I may not like the plane jane look of this forum anyway but to give to programmers at SMF credit, "plane jane" is suitable to any topic, and a theme like this is easily package-able. CakePHP for example comes with a similar plain looking theme that is easy for developers to work with. Customization is key.

The question is when will the new forum be here? It's was long long time ago when we were talking about the new forum.

IMO, I like this forum. It's simple and basic concept and I think adding extra things would be overdoing it. I think the design is fine the way it is.

Hi!
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 09:11:50 AM

We're way past the date when theymos said that the new forum would be launch, but no worries though, that wasn't even a deadline as far as I know; that was just a rough estimate given by the devs working on it. Also, it looks kinda neat for me, though I must agree that SMF is kinda slow and buggy at times. Sometimes? It doesn't load at all!
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:29:18 PM

-snip-
Keep calm & wait for new forum Grin
New forum remind me of Half life 3. It has been so long, I wonder if we'll ever see either of these two. But personally I don't care.
Forum is primarily a  tool for conveying information, and it doesn't have to be pretty. It needs to be useful.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:58:41 PM

-snip-
Keep calm & wait for new forum Grin
New forum remind me of Half life 3. It has been so long, I wonder if we'll ever see either of these two. But personally I don't care.
Forum is primarily a  tool for conveying information, and it doesn't have to be pretty. It needs to be useful.

Surely Lord Gaben would deliver, also theymos that's for sure. A million dollars of donation that would be lost in void would probably be a center of attraction for months. Also, I don't think theymos would run away with that money. If he would, he did that long before this forum gained popularity in the interwebs.
Triple

Activity: 847

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:59:47 PM

Lmao. I don't think there's any reason to change it. Design is simple, sure but that's what I like about it. No need for fancy stuff when this works just fine.

Available for Rent - 25 Posts $100/Week. PM me
edmundduke
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:02:05 PM

Lmao. I don't think there's any reason to change it. Design is simple, sure but that's what I like about it. No need for fancy stuff when this works just fine.

Agreed. I don't see any need to change the design of the forum, its fine the way it is. Design is simple as it should be, no need to "overtune" anything. If they do decide to make a new design i hope the core concept stays the same: Few colors and easily distinguishable sub menus etc.
StarofBTC

Activity: 1148
Merit: 528

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:09:22 PM

we all know its not too good... But uts also not too bad... Moreover i feel good in it.. The theme is nice too
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 05:33:01 PM

I like the simplistic look. The loading time is unrelated to smf, it has to do with the server it is running on and the webserver software. Also, quick reply is a setting you can turn on. It is under Look and Layout Preferences.

Great thanks. I just enabled it. It should have been on by default.

Arcteryx

Activity: 728

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:36:22 PM

Everything on the internet has to change to keep current. But I don't think this forum feels they have any completion, so they are not in any rush to push anything out this year.
Maybe a New years reveal is on the horizon. Now that would be a cool way to ring in the year.

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
TheGr33k

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 06:51:23 PM

The bitcoin community / zeitgeist has never been geared towards being "graphically friendly" so it's only fitting that the forum feels and looks classic.
It doesn't need bells and whistles because that's not why we're hear and it leaves an opportunity for malicious code to be implemented potentially with each update/upgrade.
pilscoop

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 01:33:34 AM

At first I thought the same, like "this looks like it came from 2001" but I´ve gotten used to it and don´t think it needs to change.
The design is simple enough and doesn´t distract you with fancy designs.
TTMNewsMJ

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:18:55 AM

The current theme is actually good.
We don't need to change because there's no wrong with it.
the_poet
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 09:21:26 AM

Guys, if we want the Bitcoin (and BitcoinTalk.org) user base to grow, we need to make this forum more eye-candy. The average Joe is much more likely to join a community, if he sees a beautifully designed website as opposed to an old school one. This is Marketing 101!

Under construction.
nickaizoku

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

❃ CyberNick ❃

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:50:03 AM

This forum design is good and simple. Why need fancy forum? As long community help Wink
just dont know why this forum doesn't have mobile friendly.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: