Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:13:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfury a threat?  (Read 1633 times)
rolling (OP)

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 08:20:23 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/bitfury-details-100-million-georgia-data-center/

Bitfury is one company that already controls 15% of the mining on the network and now they are going to build something capable of supporting 1000 PH of new mining gear? The entire network right now is only 400 PH.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 06:36:41 AM

no problem on this, they can't simply add hashpower without thinking, if the price of bitcoin will stay the same, no matter the efficiency, around $60 per btc is no longer profitable for anybody out there

free electricyt guys are excluded but there is no real free electricity, it's mostly stealing, you can't run a big farm on it

so if the diff skyrocket to x3-x4 what it is now, all miners will do negative profit, which is losing money...
coinbeast

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 09:16:32 AM

In all honesty, they do have me feeling a bit nervous. I think they are pretty serious and are "putting their money where their mouth is". They have the chip they said they would, and they have the money to build data centers.

I can't see them getting 1000 PH/S any time soon though.

YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 02:09:28 PM

Well BitFury did not immediately respond to requests for further information

let's just wait for more details. PS nobody knows if they can truly do these,
but if they does! well let's just wait!  Roll Eyes
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:15:31 AM

1) It will take time for Bitfury to deploy that much new equipment. ESPECIALLY with the current yield issues on 14/16nm process from ALL manufacturers on that node.
2) Bitfury has quite a bit of competition already deploying more and more gear
3) Other folks have already announced tape-out or are working on 14/16nm chips

Note that KnC announced tapeout on their 16nm "Solar" chips almost a YEAR ago and announced deployment of those chips a while back, yet their hashrate has NOT exploded since then.

Will BitFury hit 1000 PH? Quite possible.
 Will BitFury hit 1000 PH before halfing? Almost IMpossible.
 Will BitFury hit 1000 PH by the end of NEXT year? Unlikely.
 Will the total hashrate of the entire network hit 2000 PH before Bitfury gets 1000 PH of that deployed? Very very likely.

Keep in mind that there are still SEVERAL folks making chips/gear, BitMain is just the only one CURRENTLY selling to the public (Innosilicon and Lktec have already made announcements, there is that one thread about a rumoured Avalon next-gen machine, Spondoolies has already announced next-gen, plus the other folks that don't sell to the public....)

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 12:35:45 PM

1) It will take time for Bitfury to deploy that much new equipment. ESPECIALLY with the current yield issues on 14/16nm process from ALL manufacturers on that node.

Note that KnC announced tapeout on their 16nm "Solar" chips almost a YEAR ago and announced deployment of those chips a while back, yet their hashrate has NOT exploded since then.

Will the total hashrate of the entire network hit 2000 PH before Bitfury gets 1000 PH of that deployed? Very very likely.

Keep in mind that there are still SEVERAL folks making chips/gear, BitMain is just the only one CURRENTLY selling to the public (Innosilicon and Lktec have already made announcements, there is that one thread about a rumoured Avalon next-gen machine, Spondoolies has already announced next-gen, plus the other folks that don't sell to the public....)

I think they are just trying to intimidate competitors. There is tons of rumors and promises of projects with no date set. I do not know when the data center will be completed, but its not like they will be able to load up 1000PH of hardware anytime soon.

It is possible however that they achieve it within a year or two, and with their 0.06 chips eventually rolling out, their data center could last quite a while and will then only need to be slowly upgraded, while they phase our their 28nm stuff.

With a project this big, they will probably rent Cloud hash or such. Probably take a page from Bitmain's tricks.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 02:23:20 AM

I think they are just trying to intimidate competitors. There is tons of rumors and promises of projects with no date set. I do not know when the data center will be completed, but its not like they will be able to load up 1000PH of hardware anytime soon.

It is possible however that they achieve it within a year or two, and with their 0.06 chips eventually rolling out, their data center could last quite a while and will then only need to be slowly upgraded, while they phase our their 28nm stuff.

With a project this big, they will probably rent Cloud hash or such. Probably take a page from Bitmain's tricks.

By the time they get their center online, that halving will do interesting things to the market.

But Bitfury will continue doing what they do best, make money

koinsuka

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

Zap.org - Data Feed Oracle Marketplace

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 04:38:19 AM

with this case, will increase popularity of bitcoin and value rates again, like this 2013

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Zap StoreDecentralized Marketplace for Oracles ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Token Sale October 21st ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ FacebookTwitterLinkedYouTube ■  WhitepaperReddit ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2015, 07:37:31 PM

Not a threat at this point.  You have chips from Spon-doolies, KNC, Antminer and Avalon.   This is pretty decent competition at this stage.  The bigger issue may be centralization of mining capacity over time into these large mining interests along with a few independent players.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2015, 02:35:05 AM

Not a threat at this point.  You have chips from Spon-doolies, KNC, Antminer and Avalon.   This is pretty decent competition at this stage.  The bigger issue may be centralization of mining capacity over time into these large mining interests along with a few independent players.
Definitely, this is what we need to worry about but I guess we will always get their scraps of last generation from all the big players and that might be enough to make the home market a slice of the mining pie.

Trouble is the power density or the number of mining boxes keeps increasing.  It has already basically over-run most residential power grids and almost all commercial spaces will still need upgrades.  Yes scraps will be had but at that point, it might not be the best idea.  I don't know what if anything will turn the tide.  At least Antminer has publicly stated it will continue to support the small miner market.  I don't see this continuing to 14nm or smaller. 

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 02:44:56 AM

Definitely, this is what we need to worry about but I guess we will always get their scraps of last generation from all the big players and that might be enough to make the home market a slice of the mining pie.

It would be interesting to see where the old "scraps" go in some cases.  I don't see some of these really wanting to sell old gear to public, as they did not want to initially.

It would not surprise me if some like bitfury are more upgrade and can use some old parts with new hashing boards.   Or they might have so low electricity these old machines they can run them till having without worries.   
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 09:51:24 AM

You didn't see that largish Polish mine offering to sell off old "scraps" of it's mines?

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: