Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:42:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining suggestions for a novice  (Read 868 times)
J-Miner27 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 02:19:15 PM

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and the mining community, I have been thinking of starting a small scale mining set up for some time now and would appreciate any advice from you senior vets. Electricity rates in my country are at .03 cents per Kw and I was thinking of investing in 3 antminer s5+ batch 1's. Cooling is one of my concerns but I have some systems in place to help mitigate that issue, solar A/C's ect. My goal is to get up to 84 TH with investments in due course and possibly go partially or full solar. Does this make any sense? Or should I just wait for a better opportunity. I look forward to your feedback

Cheers!
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 03:38:25 PM

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and the mining community, I have been thinking of starting a small scale mining set up for some time now and would appreciate any advice from you senior vets. Electricity rates in my country are at .03 cents per Kw and I was thinking of investing in 3 antminer s5+ batch 1's. Cooling is one of my concerns but I have some systems in place to help mitigate that issue, solar A/C's ect. My goal is to get up to 84 TH with investments in due course and possibly go partially or full solar. Does this make any sense? Or should I just wait for a better opportunity. I look forward to your feedback

Cheers!

You chances are will not be able to do 84th in solar, that is a TON of solar equipment.   If you have .03  cent electricity I would not even mess with solar.

But yes you can mine at that level.  My advice is stat small and work up.  A goal of 84 TH is just ... a lot.  So go a little smaller to start.
J-Miner27 (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 04:19:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. With the initial setup I am looking it would be around 21TH on average. From there i will work my way up to the 84TH, slowly but surely. I was also looking for a good mining pool but it seems as though the slush pool is a pretty good place to start. I am still trying to fully understand the different payout systems though them seem kind of complicated. What in your opinion is the best mining pool?

Cheers
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 04:28:01 PM

Thanks for the reply. With the initial setup I am looking it would be around 21TH on average. From there i will work my way up to the 84TH, slowly but surely. I was also looking for a good mining pool but it seems as though the slush pool is a pretty good place to start. I am still trying to fully understand the different payout systems though them seem kind of complicated. What in your opinion is the best mining pool?

Cheers

What is your setup like on electricity?   You will need some 220/240 lines are best (less running cables then 110/120).  Are you set up for a lot of electricity?

On pool i suggest reading some and picking your own.  There is a entire thread.  Read about the different types of pay.
J-Miner27 (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 05:54:39 PM

Most businesses and homes here are set up to run both 110/120 220/240 so I am pretty much covered. If needed I can install 3 phase but that is a bit costly. The only reason I got interested in mining is the fact that power rates are so low and the supply in the major cities and towns are very consistent. In my area we only experience about an hour to two hours lost per month and this is usually pretty rare. Solar is a good option much later on for basically zero downtime as it is pretty much always sunny.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 07:09:47 PM

Most businesses and homes here are set up to run both 110/120 220/240 so I am pretty much covered. If needed I can install 3 phase but that is a bit costly. The only reason I got interested in mining is the fact that power rates are so low and the supply in the major cities and towns are very consistent. In my area we only experience about an hour to two hours lost per month and this is usually pretty rare. Solar is a good option much later on for basically zero downtime as it is pretty much always sunny.

You don't need 3 phase.  220/240 has become much more popular as miners have become larger in power consumption.   

I would check your main and see how many amp breaker for entire thing to make sure on electricity being there.   Be careful as it is a lot of electricity.

As far as solar add up panals, battery's (LOTS of these for the amount of power were talking).  It will be costly it is better to follow cheap electricity.
J-Miner27 (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 07:17:31 PM

Thanks man I appreciate it, I may have to do some extra electrical work just to be safe as I only have one 220 outlet going to the room I am setting up in, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.  I just saw that spondoolie has a 110TH beast now, would be nice if they were offering it to the public for sale. It's been pretty difficult finding a brand new miner period. Mostly used and I'm not too comfortable buying second hand or from alibaba (serious burn from past experience). Hopefully I can source the antminer S5+ that would be nice
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 07:20:17 PM

Thanks man I appreciate it, I may have to do some extra electrical work just to be safe as I only have one 220 outlet going to the room I am setting up in, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.  I just saw that spondoolie has a 110TH beast now, would be nice if they were offering it to the public for sale. It's been pretty difficult finding a brand new miner period. Mostly used and I'm not too comfortable buying second hand or from alibaba (serious burn from past experience). Hopefully I can source the antminer S5+ that would be nice

I have one and love my S5+.   Has been a great miner for myself.  But it was quite limited on sales using up last of chips.

S7 is really only new one shipping to customers.  But there are still some older miners that I consider good. 
J-Miner27 (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 07:31:43 PM

The price on the S7's vs the hash rate of the S5 set up on their site is what I was using as a gauge tbh. Three s5+ miners putting out 7.7 TH vs one S7 at 4.5TH. The price difference I think is $600 so not too bad for the extra 3.2TH. I really want to start out with at minimum 20TH. How is the noise and heat factor off of your S5 btw?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 07:38:49 PM

The price on the S7's vs the hash rate of the S5 set up on their site is what I was using as a gauge tbh. Three s5+ miners putting out 7.7 TH vs one S7 at 4.5TH. The price difference I think is $600 so not too bad for the extra 3.2TH. I really want to start out with at minimum 20TH. How is the noise and heat factor off of your S5 btw?

I have a area I have made for mining.  If you do 20 TH I can tell you from experience if you have hot summer day's you will need to find way's to cool it down.  I did it with sheer cfm of lots of fan's and a great exhaust.     If you are lucky you climate allows evaporation cooling, mine does not.

Again to do this you really need to know a lot more about your electricity.  I knew I had 100 amps just for mining in my mining area.     Then another 200 in house if I wanted to put any miners in house.
J-Miner27 (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 07:45:29 PM

Wow, that is a lot, basically your saying that your mining setup is equivalent to half of your household amperage....that is a lot of juice. From the looks of it I should budget for 200amps for my set up as I am going to use a conventional AC as a backup in case the solar conk out. It is also pretty frustrating that the antminers seem to never be in stock. One other concern I have is durability have you had any issues with your hardware?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 09:02:55 PM

I have a area I have made for mining.  If you do 20 TH I can tell you from experience if you have hot summer day's you will need to find way's to cool it down.  I did it with sheer cfm of lots of fan's and a great exhaust.     If you are lucky you climate allows evaporation cooling, mine does not.

Again to do this you really need to know a lot more about your electricity.  I knew I had 100 amps just for mining in my mining area.     Then another 200 in house if I wanted to put any miners in house.

The only thing i can recommend and what i am setting up for next summer is putting all the exhaust of your miner strait through a window and keep the ambiant temp lower with a strong A/C.

I have mixed results at the moment since i have a very bad A/C, as in the ambient temp is still higher than exterior, but i'm still able to run 7000 watts in a small appartment while keeping the miners in good shape.

At the moment temperature is FINALLY going down, so for the next 8 months i can just keep everything cool by using outdoor temps, but for summer, some good A/C will be required to keep my farm quiet enough.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 10:01:57 PM

I have a area I have made for mining.  If you do 20 TH I can tell you from experience if you have hot summer day's you will need to find way's to cool it down.  I did it with sheer cfm of lots of fan's and a great exhaust.     If you are lucky you climate allows evaporation cooling, mine does not.

Again to do this you really need to know a lot more about your electricity.  I knew I had 100 amps just for mining in my mining area.     Then another 200 in house if I wanted to put any miners in house.

The only thing i can recommend and what i am setting up for next summer is putting all the exhaust of your miner strait through a window and keep the ambiant temp lower with a strong A/C.

I have mixed results at the moment since i have a very bad A/C, as in the ambient temp is still higher than exterior, but i'm still able to run 7000 watts in a small appartment while keeping the miners in good shape.

At the moment temperature is FINALLY going down, so for the next 8 months i can just keep everything cool by using outdoor temps, but for summer, some good A/C will be required to keep my farm quiet enough.

Kinda same here it's going down a little, hotest day's are over.  But winter has not hit yet.

But I used two of these to push new air into the miners pretty quick together thats over 14k cfm being pushed - http://www.lowes.com/pd_416730-11292-SFDC2-600T_0__?Ntt=416730&UserSearch=416730&productId=4755305&rpp=32

Two smaller fans bringing air from front windows.   Along with air vents along roof.

Worked well:

Then on exhaust did a heck of an upgrade and man does it push some air out - http://www.homedepot.com/p/QuietCool-Professional-3013-CFM-Power-Gable-Mount-Attic-Fan-AFG-PRO-3-0/206047381

Had over 14k watts of gear during height.   But recently got rid of some of the older miners.
J-Miner27 (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 11:10:12 PM

Wow, that's a lot, I'm now clearing out my basement so I know its going to be complicated. For one thing the flooring is earth grounded and I'm going to tile the area so that will keep it even cooler. Have one 18000btu solar AC but I am going to buy a 24000btu unit for the room I am building. The 18000 btu unit is a little oversized but that is a good thing. I am almost tempted to get a chiller unit from a refrigerated shipping container but I am a bit concerned about moisture as this unit is basically for a restaurant walkin chiller. The daytime temps here get as high as 37 Celsius or 98 F on the hottest days with 34 Celcius being the average but with the right combo of AC and fans I can keep a room at around 20 Celcius or 68F. But the shipping container until can go as low as 40F. The only downside to that is I will only be able to afford one and have no back up and it will basically be a walk in fridge.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 11:31:40 PM

Wow, that's a lot, I'm now clearing out my basement so I know its going to be complicated. For one thing the flooring is earth grounded and I'm going to tile the area so that will keep it even cooler. Have one 18000btu solar AC but I am going to buy a 24000btu unit for the room I am building. The 18000 btu unit is a little oversized but that is a good thing. I am almost tempted to get a chiller unit from a refrigerated shipping container but I am a bit concerned about moisture as this unit is basically for a restaurant walkin chiller. The daytime temps here get as high as 37 Celsius or 98 F on the hottest days with 34 Celcius being the average but with the right combo of AC and fans I can keep a room at around 20 Celcius or 68F. But the shipping container until can go as low as 40F. The only downside to that is I will only be able to afford one and have no back up and it will basically be a walk in fridge.

Well as long as the exhaust is not toward the inside, then it will do. If you try to cool off a small farm with only 18k and 24k but you're just gonna be wasting electricity. If you are pushing the exhaust directly outside, then a 24k BTU will do great. For my appartment i think i will need 14 or 16k BTU.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌