Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:15:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Submerge your rigs in liquid  (Read 14826 times)
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:40:55 PM

What's the point, if you're still gonna use NINE(!) 12cm case fans? Why not just watercool, as  any noise advantage is not thrown right out the window.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 06:47:15 PM

What's the point, if you're still gonna use NINE(!) 12cm case fans? Why not just watercool, as  any noise advantage is not thrown right out the window.

Perhaps this might be the point, at least from a data center's perspective:

And the technology is incredibly effective. Patterson said that whereas traditional air-cooled server racks often operate at a Power Usage Effectiveness rating of about 1.6 (meaning cooling tacks on a 60 percent increase over the power needed power the servers' computing workloads), Intel's oil-immersed servers were operating at a PUE between 1.02 and 1.03. It's possible to achieve similarly low PUE ratings with traditional air- and liquid-cooling methods, Patterson said, but getting there can require some serious engineering effort and cost a lot of money.

Fcx35x10

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 07:46:33 PM

really cool but i agree about things getting messy
Phraust

Activity: 206

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 08:26:16 PM

Novec 7000
freeAgent

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 08:57:52 PM

That's very cool stuff.
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 09:04:52 PM

+1. That's a clever concept, keeping the fluid circulating without a fan or pumps.

Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 09:30:12 PM

I've been messing with the idea of making a cooling setup that uses Novec 7000 for my SC Singles (Gallery here).

It's still a work in progress.  I'd shelved it after I'd heard that the new ASICs should be much more heat-tolerant, but recently there have been talks that they can be overclocked, so I am thinking about putting it together again.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 09:34:21 PM

that stuff is really expensive.....  Smiley

farlack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 10:12:47 PM

that stuff is really expensive.....  Smiley

I only found 1 posting online from 2 years ago saying $350/gallon
Maybe the price has changed a bit, but this would still be awesome to have for someone who has dozens of rigs going.
They would obviously be able to afford it, and the energy savings alone would be great.
Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 11:08:36 PM

Yeah, it's definitely a high-ticket item, but my concerns when I was coming up with this were:

Power Consumption - I pay on average $0.36 per kwh, so with the cost of running both the singles and keeping them cool, is ridiculous.

Corrosion/Humidity - I live near the ocean, so I worry about the lifespan of the devices with all the humidity and salt in the air.

How cool it looks - If it's going on my desk, I don't want a bird nest of wires, components and junk.  I want it to look good.
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:13:38 PM

Doesn't seem worth the expensive.. now.. oil cooled asics... hrm might be an idea!
Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 11:19:40 PM

When I was running all five of my singles here, the electrical costs were more than $400 a month.  If it cost $1,000 for a passive cooling setup, which would drop that to $200 or less a month, it'd pay for itself within five months.  Looking good while it did that would be a bonus.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 11:22:43 PM

that stuff is really expensive.....  Smiley

+1

farlack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:46:31 PM

When I was running all five of my singles here, the electrical costs were more than $400 a month.  If it cost $1,000 for a passive cooling setup, which would drop that to $200 or less a month, it'd pay for itself within five months.  Looking good while it did that would be a bonus.

Awesome, thanks for posting some monthly electric costs.
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 11:53:57 PM

I've recently got my HTPC and FPGA Mining Rig stable enough I don't feel the need to constantly tweak it and went ahead and did exactly what I had always planned for it. Oil Submerged it in a thin framed glass fish tank, it looks beautiful. Still tweaking, but once it's finished I'll remember to take pictures to show it off.

DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 03:10:47 AM

Very impressive !  Thanks for sharing..

As for HDD now turning to SSD, I think the future is no moving/mechanical part at all... very interesting tech !

Imagine what tech will be availlable in the future Smiley
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 03:15:48 AM

It still gets hot... Think of it like a deep fryer,

Yet, another use for GPU's, Turkey fryer. Smiley

You can also fry your hands with 'gaming' laptops  Grin
Serenata

Activity: 250

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 07:26:39 AM

How about the mineral oil itself and the Novec 7000? Can those fluids be recycled? That's a major factor before adopting IMO.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:12:18 AM

+1. That's a clever concept, keeping the fluid circulating without a fan or pumps.
More than clever. It's not simple immersion cooling, it's evaporative cooling: any component reaching the boiling point of the liquid (34C in this case) will cause the liquid to boil. Heat of evaporation takes away all the heat from that point on, it's almost impossible to go above 34 C in this case. Most of vapor is then condensed at the heat exchanger, and recycled into the system. This heat exchanger is likely the most problematic part: it's got to be able to dissipate heat into the surroundings at the rate sufficient to keep the hot side below boiling point of the liquid.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
minero1

Activity: 303

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 04:05:12 PM

More than clever. It's not simple immersion cooling, it's evaporative cooling: any component reaching the boiling point of the liquid (34C in this case) will cause the liquid to boil. Heat of evaporation takes away all the heat from that point on, it's almost impossible to go above 34 C in this case. Most of vapor is then condensed at the heat exchanger, and recycled into the system. This heat exchanger is likely the most problematic part: it's got to be able to dissipate heat into the surroundings at the rate sufficient to keep the hot side below boiling point of the liquid.

Good luck trying to use it in warm climate like where i live, +36ºC all year long. it would be interesting to see a Pressure-Temperature diagram of the stuff.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: