Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:08:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with scammers on BitcoinMarket  (Read 2267 times)
Cdecker (OP)

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 11:20:18 AM

As hard as it is to admit, I have been scammed.

I sold 20 Bitcoins by putting up an order and I quickly received a buy offer. The money came in on my Paypal account and I was happy to confirm the trade and leave a positive rating, but as soon as I did so the buyer put a hold on the Paypal payment. It turns out that the e-mail registered with the BitcoinMarket is completely different from the one associated with the Paypal account (though both are from france). And I believe that the scammer used a hacked Paypal account to pay for the Trade.
Now I'm a bit in trouble since I don't know what Paypal will do if I try to resolve the claim by providing the trade details of BCM since they don't like Bitcoin at all.
I also contacted a guy that had put a negative rating on the guy for the same reason, and he said that he got his BTC back from the scammer.

Any ideas on where to proceed?

The suspected scammer is b4rrydoyle (5184) on BCM

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jjVon

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 11:59:05 AM

Don't know how to resolve that issue, but thanks for the guy's number.  This whole game is a little nerve-racking, but I find it exhilarating.
Cdecker (OP)

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 12:03:50 PM

AFAIK there is no way beyond the rating system to downrank a user, and there is no way to change a rating once it has been submitted. I'll definitely wait a few hours/days before rating from now on.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 01:27:17 AM

I and several others have been scammed by the same user. So I started a thread in which I am offering a 5 BTC reward for his identity. There's already some good, though incomplete information. If you and others scammed add to this reward, I bet someone will be interested enough, and skilled enough at "finding people", to do this.

ETA: You may want to write Dustin about retracting/replacing your feedback. He already knows about this guy, so he'll probably be quite accomodating.

ETA: Don't worry too much about PayPal. There's nothing you can do to recover your money from them, since the claim is account fraud and not failure to deliver. Interesting that they ask you for evidence regardless.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
tavsi

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 03:00:24 AM

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, scammers! I'm new and I'd like to buy some BTC but I don't know who to trust to Sad That's why I thought maybe I should ask for local BTC sellers and do the transactions face to face. What do you think of this method?? Of course it's more convenient to buy/sell online, but let's say I want to buy about 100 BTC and have a Dwolla account, where am I gonna find trustworthy sellers? Should I just go by hero members in this forum?? Do you guys care for selling some BTC to me?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 09:09:15 AM

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, scammers! I'm new and I'd like to buy some BTC but I don't know who to trust to Sad That's why I thought maybe I should ask for local BTC sellers and do the transactions face to face. What do you think of this method?? Of course it's more convenient to buy/sell online, but let's say I want to buy about 100 BTC and have a Dwolla account, where am I gonna find trustworthy sellers? Should I just go by hero members in this forum?? Do you guys care for selling some BTC to me?

The problem that the OP describes cannot happen on MtGox. With bitcoinmarket PP you are receiving funds from another trader's PP account, with MtGox you receive funds from MtGox directly (you trade with others, but MtGox holds the funds and pays you with cleared money).

Bank->Dwolla->MtGox->Good to go

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
jjVon

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 11:40:48 AM

I got up this morning ready to sell a little BTC on bitcoinmarket to get some PayPal cash... and that option was gone!  I guess I'll need to move it over to MtGox and sell there.  So much for my maser plan. 

BTW, If I sell for MBUSD I don't see and option to withdraw that.  So is there anything else to do with my BTC?
tavsi

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 03:11:10 PM

Bank->Dwolla->Mt Gox sequence is good but still it takes forever to transfer money from bank to dwolla! I hate working with banks and USD. The change is happening:)
JoeTheTech

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 04:01:35 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2011, 11:32:08 PM by JoeTheTech

I was scammed out of 6.10 BTC in trade ID 2655

Buyer ID 6038 BTCbuyer

Payment was sent to my Paypal account then removed (held by Paypal) 8 hours later. Currently I am out the $ and the BTC.

Emails have been sent to all involved parties. I am waiting to see what happens next.

Cheers.

Updated here
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12678.msg177172#msg177172
jjVon

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:30:56 AM

I'm guessing that type of thing is why bitcoinmarket removed the paypal option.  This forum is chock full of lots of alternatives, just not that much for novice traders to deal with... Tongue

In the meantime, I ran across this fun little game to circulate some more BTC:
http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=1139
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:45:48 AM

Buyer ID 6038 BTCbuyer

Payment was sent to my Paypal account then removed (held by Paypal) 8 hours later. Currently I am out the $ and the BTC.

Emails have been sent to all involved parties. I am waiting to see what happens next.

Cheers.
Did you contact HIM? It might just be that you were caught by PayPal as a Bitcoin seller.

Please contact me if the MD5 of his paypal email address was e4a0b9bcc67f49d815dacbe94b93bf0c

Grant

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:36:22 AM

I'm sorry to read this, i been there done that myself and so have some friends of mines. My best advice is: people don't use paypal/moneybookers, their policy of: chargeback no-proof required is a heaven for thiefs and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Use only non-chargebackable payment methods (you can hide behind virwox, in some magical way virwox manages to avoid being scammed with the paypal/moneybookers exploit).
Nythain

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:46:30 PM

Buyer ID 6038 BTCbuyer

Cheers.
I also have been hit recently by this person.
Sadly, I don't know if I will use bitcoinmarket again in the future, for any trades. It's just not trader friendly at the moment, there's no real limitations sellers can set on buyers other than price and currency. And the inability to change feedback is a real pita.
When this transaction when through, the buyer had over 10 positive feedback, so even if i could review buyer stats before going through with a transaction, i probably would have approved it on rating alone.
I have submitted email to PayPal and screenshots of all transaction information as my proof that i in fact sent the goods in question, which is just a silly requirement to refute my case since goods received isnt even the dispute, its unauthorized transaction. I will also be closing my paypal after this incident too. I dont think i should be held personally responsible for someone elses weak passwords.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:03:07 AM

When dealing with someone of unknown reputation, i would start with a small value, then if that goes well, double, rinse&repeat 'tll you bought/sold all you wanted

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
jjVon

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:58:58 AM

When dealing with someone of unknown reputation, i would start with a small value, then if that goes well, double, rinse&repeat 'tll you bought/sold all you wanted
That's not realistic if you're putting up a limit sale or buy.  the system matches you up with whomever has a matching offer.  Then you just have 2 options:  take it or leave it. 

If you like that kind of gamble, you can try this little game I stumbled across:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: