Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:35:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims  (Read 10266 times)
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:04:56 PM

Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us, I am offering up a guarantee of 1000 BTC to charity (I will take suggestions on which charity to donate this to) if BFL does not meet it's power claims within 10% - meaning if BFL's power consumption is more than 66w for a Single SC, we lose the "bet."

Now, I ask if Tom is willing to step up and back the winning side.  He is 100% confident that we will not meet our power claims (which is the genesis of the failed bet), and as such I ask that he pony up 1000 BTC to the same charity if we do make our power claims. 

So there it is:  Tom is confident that we won't make our power claims, I am confident that we will.  I am willing to put up 1000 BTC to show my confidence in BFL products.  Is Tom confident enough to do the same or is he just blowing hot air?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:07:42 PM

I'm confused. If the Single uses more than 66W, you pay 1000BTC to charity. If it does use less than 66W, then Tome (or someone else who enters the bet against you) pays 1000BTC to charity? Or do you pay to each other?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:14:42 PM

As far as I understood the one who loses pays to the charity.

Inaba and Tom: don't forget to use escrow  Wink

Signature space available for rent.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:15:47 PM

Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us

Tom offered a bet and you refused it.

Buy & Hold
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:17:47 PM

Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us
Tom offered a bet and you refused it.
"Shit, I just trolled myself out of 1,000BTC. How can I get them back?"

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
psilan

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:18:56 PM

Yes, escrow.

Also I'm not sure if Tom was trying to say Bfl was lying. It was more that specs are not being released because software estimates can be way off. Eg Bfl single.

Subscribed anyway! Good cause is awesome. Great offer inaba. If Tom has the btc to spare he may accept regardless.

dip
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:24:45 PM

Also I'm not sure if Tom was trying to say Bfl was lying.

Let's take a look at exactly what Tom said.

But guess what? EITHER DO MY COMPETITORS!

Sure I can post a "simulated" or "estimated" power usage number - but its not going to be accurate. You really think BFL is going to give 1Gh/s per watt? keep dreaming.

I have bolded the part where Tom claims that BFL will not meet their power estimates.

Tom has also claimed to have a working prototype working so I would assume that their power estimates should be pretty concrete. But what do I know, I'm just a miner.

EDIT:

Here is the original quote of Tom saying he has a prototype. I don't want anyone thinking I'm making this stuff up.

The truth is it just takes time to have these kind of chips made, and then you still have to have the boards assembled. its a lengthy process. I am just happy we finally have a prototype that works that we can move forward with this is something that has been in the works for awhile.
psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:44:03 PM

Tom has also claimed to have a working prototype working so I would assume that their power estimates should be pretty concrete. But what do I know, I'm just a miner.

Prototypes are never accurate. I don't think an ASIC prototype would initially aim for power efficiency.
But yes, keep dreaming is strong words, but they appear to be based on BFL estimating via software.

I look forward to a charity receiving some $.

In fact I would like to nominate my home town, which I had to leave after we had some severe earthquakes that destroyed the city.

http://christchurchappealtrust.org.nz/
This charity was set up by the New Zealand Prime Minister.

Much of the CBD buildings lost there frontages. My home was fine, my parents lost theirs and had to live with me for 3 months. FEEL MY PAIN! Wink

There is a US-NZ tax free way to donate through the US.
http://www.americanfriendsofchristchurch.org/ways-to-give.html

The EQ destroyed the city, and liquefaction (due to city being built on a swamp..duh) destroyed the eastern suburbs. Most frightening thing ever in my life. I helped set up the temporary civil defence communications at my workplace during the quakes, but 5 months later I met a lady in another city (due to there being nothing to do in Chch anymore) and moved to be with her.

The CBD now looks like a vacant lot.

dip
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:47:28 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 08:25:56 PM by Inaba

I would nominate Gmaxwell as escrow assuming he is agreeable to it.  Yes, I propose the loser pays the 1000 BTC to charity.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:00:37 PM

St. Judes  hospital if your going to donate. Help the kids out!

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:21:22 PM

May I suggest the charity be smaller than the size of the likes of St. Judes. I have nothing against them, but the http://christchurchappealtrust.org.nz/ seems a better fit.

Speaking of charities, Josh. I'm upping my bit with you, of which you don't have to put anything up, to $200 USD, instead of the original $100 USD. I did read that you're having misgivings about EFF, so feel free to change your mind when the time comes where I hopefully have to pay out.

Later, bro.

~Bruno K~
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:25:32 PM

May I suggest the charity be smaller than the size of the likes of St. Judes. I have nothing against them, but the http://christchurchappealtrust.org.nz/ seems a better fit.

Speaking of charities, Josh. I'm upping my bit with you, of which you don't have to put anything up, to $200 USD, instead of the original $100 USD. I did read that you're having misgivings about EFF, so feel free to change your mind when the time comes where I hopefully have to pay out.

Later, bro.

~Bruno K~

I found this the other day www.bitcoinchurch.org

Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:26:20 PM

That's great, Phinnaeus!  My only beef with EFF is their abandonment of Bitcoin, so I have to assess if that's enough to put them out of the running.  But if another worthy charity is put forth, I am certainly open to consider it.  

Kaliecious

Activity: 246
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:28:41 PM

can we give a suggestion on the charities to donate to if the bet is lost which I doubt will happen.

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:30:43 PM

something mildly retarded.....

So I've brought facts to this thread and you want to call me names.....

Seems like you're handling yourself and your comments with dignity and respect.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

So... Walk the plank or keelhaul? Tongue

Is making a piratelike win/win bet (for BFL) a good idea now, considering the precedent?

Can Vandroiy take the bet, if interested? I hear he's got some cash on hand.
Kaliecious

Activity: 246

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:46:04 PM

My orginization crawfish for kids which can be searched in trademarkings donates 100% of all proceeds to Texas adaptive Aquatics.

Texas adaptive aquatics helps kids and adults who are para and quadrapalegic to be able to enjoy water sports many have been injured in either accidents and unfortunantly war. I have been supporting them since I have thought of the idea of using my buiz to try to do some good.

if anything I would ask is keep away from the main stream orginizations, when I first started CFK  i tried to go to make a wish foundation and another that craig biggio has, in order for me to donate to these orginiaztions in order to use thier name in radio ads that was going to be playing from 94.5 the buzz who was also donating the airtime along with big woodrows trying to advertise we had to gaurantee a mininum of a 5k donation, i felt that was a little selfish to demand such a high ammount for a gauranteed donation.. So if anything I ask please find a smaller orginiation that really desrves the money.

if interested in helping TAAsports there site is www.taasports.org

abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:51:41 PM

Interesting bet. I wonder what Tom's reaction will be.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:48:44 PM

Interesting bet. I wonder what Tom's reaction will be.
How do you react to a troll trolling you and your company?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:58:36 PM

Use some of it to sponsor someone on http://www.extra-life.org/

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: