Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:07:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims  (Read 10266 times)
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:04:56 PM

Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us, I am offering up a guarantee of 1000 BTC to charity (I will take suggestions on which charity to donate this to) if BFL does not meet it's power claims within 10% - meaning if BFL's power consumption is more than 66w for a Single SC, we lose the "bet."

Now, I ask if Tom is willing to step up and back the winning side.  He is 100% confident that we will not meet our power claims (which is the genesis of the failed bet), and as such I ask that he pony up 1000 BTC to the same charity if we do make our power claims. 

So there it is:  Tom is confident that we won't make our power claims, I am confident that we will.  I am willing to put up 1000 BTC to show my confidence in BFL products.  Is Tom confident enough to do the same or is he just blowing hot air?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:07:42 PM

I'm confused. If the Single uses more than 66W, you pay 1000BTC to charity. If it does use less than 66W, then Tome (or someone else who enters the bet against you) pays 1000BTC to charity? Or do you pay to each other?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:14:42 PM

As far as I understood the one who loses pays to the charity.

Inaba and Tom: don't forget to use escrow  Wink

Signature space available for rent.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:15:47 PM

Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us

Tom offered a bet and you refused it.

Buy & Hold
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:17:47 PM

Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us
Tom offered a bet and you refused it.
"Shit, I just trolled myself out of 1,000BTC. How can I get them back?"

psilan

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:18:56 PM

Yes, escrow.

Also I'm not sure if Tom was trying to say Bfl was lying. It was more that specs are not being released because software estimates can be way off. Eg Bfl single.

Subscribed anyway! Good cause is awesome. Great offer inaba. If Tom has the btc to spare he may accept regardless.

dip
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:24:45 PM

Also I'm not sure if Tom was trying to say Bfl was lying.

Let's take a look at exactly what Tom said.

But guess what? EITHER DO MY COMPETITORS!

Sure I can post a "simulated" or "estimated" power usage number - but its not going to be accurate. You really think BFL is going to give 1Gh/s per watt? keep dreaming.

I have bolded the part where Tom claims that BFL will not meet their power estimates.

Tom has also claimed to have a working prototype working so I would assume that their power estimates should be pretty concrete. But what do I know, I'm just a miner.

EDIT:

Here is the original quote of Tom saying he has a prototype. I don't want anyone thinking I'm making this stuff up.

The truth is it just takes time to have these kind of chips made, and then you still have to have the boards assembled. its a lengthy process. I am just happy we finally have a prototype that works that we can move forward with this is something that has been in the works for awhile.
psilan

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:44:03 PM

Tom has also claimed to have a working prototype working so I would assume that their power estimates should be pretty concrete. But what do I know, I'm just a miner.

Prototypes are never accurate. I don't think an ASIC prototype would initially aim for power efficiency.
But yes, keep dreaming is strong words, but they appear to be based on BFL estimating via software.

I look forward to a charity receiving some $.

In fact I would like to nominate my home town, which I had to leave after we had some severe earthquakes that destroyed the city.

http://christchurchappealtrust.org.nz/
This charity was set up by the New Zealand Prime Minister.

Much of the CBD buildings lost there frontages. My home was fine, my parents lost theirs and had to live with me for 3 months. FEEL MY PAIN! Wink

There is a US-NZ tax free way to donate through the US.
http://www.americanfriendsofchristchurch.org/ways-to-give.html

The EQ destroyed the city, and liquefaction (due to city being built on a swamp..duh) destroyed the eastern suburbs. Most frightening thing ever in my life. I helped set up the temporary civil defence communications at my workplace during the quakes, but 5 months later I met a lady in another city (due to there being nothing to do in Chch anymore) and moved to be with her.

The CBD now looks like a vacant lot.

dip
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:47:28 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 08:25:56 PM by Inaba

I would nominate Gmaxwell as escrow assuming he is agreeable to it.  Yes, I propose the loser pays the 1000 BTC to charity.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:00:37 PM

St. Judes  hospital if your going to donate. Help the kids out!

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:21:22 PM

May I suggest the charity be smaller than the size of the likes of St. Judes. I have nothing against them, but the http://christchurchappealtrust.org.nz/ seems a better fit.

Speaking of charities, Josh. I'm upping my bit with you, of which you don't have to put anything up, to $200 USD, instead of the original $100 USD. I did read that you're having misgivings about EFF, so feel free to change your mind when the time comes where I hopefully have to pay out.

Later, bro.

~Bruno K~
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:25:32 PM

May I suggest the charity be smaller than the size of the likes of St. Judes. I have nothing against them, but the http://christchurchappealtrust.org.nz/ seems a better fit.

Speaking of charities, Josh. I'm upping my bit with you, of which you don't have to put anything up, to $200 USD, instead of the original $100 USD. I did read that you're having misgivings about EFF, so feel free to change your mind when the time comes where I hopefully have to pay out.

Later, bro.

~Bruno K~

I found this the other day www.bitcoinchurch.org

Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:26:20 PM

That's great, Phinnaeus!  My only beef with EFF is their abandonment of Bitcoin, so I have to assess if that's enough to put them out of the running.  But if another worthy charity is put forth, I am certainly open to consider it.  

Kaliecious

Activity: 246
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:28:41 PM

can we give a suggestion on the charities to donate to if the bet is lost which I doubt will happen.

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:30:43 PM

something mildly retarded.....

So I've brought facts to this thread and you want to call me names.....

Seems like you're handling yourself and your comments with dignity and respect.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

So... Walk the plank or keelhaul? Tongue

Is making a piratelike win/win bet (for BFL) a good idea now, considering the precedent?

Can Vandroiy take the bet, if interested? I hear he's got some cash on hand.
Kaliecious

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:46:04 PM

My orginization crawfish for kids which can be searched in trademarkings donates 100% of all proceeds to Texas adaptive Aquatics.

Texas adaptive aquatics helps kids and adults who are para and quadrapalegic to be able to enjoy water sports many have been injured in either accidents and unfortunantly war. I have been supporting them since I have thought of the idea of using my buiz to try to do some good.

if anything I would ask is keep away from the main stream orginizations, when I first started CFK  i tried to go to make a wish foundation and another that craig biggio has, in order for me to donate to these orginiaztions in order to use thier name in radio ads that was going to be playing from 94.5 the buzz who was also donating the airtime along with big woodrows trying to advertise we had to gaurantee a mininum of a 5k donation, i felt that was a little selfish to demand such a high ammount for a gauranteed donation.. So if anything I ask please find a smaller orginiation that really desrves the money.

if interested in helping TAAsports there site is www.taasports.org

abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:51:41 PM

Interesting bet. I wonder what Tom's reaction will be.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:48:44 PM

Interesting bet. I wonder what Tom's reaction will be.
How do you react to a troll trolling you and your company?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:58:36 PM

Use some of it to sponsor someone on http://www.extra-life.org/

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:07:59 AM

Can't wait to see the outcome in 2+ weeks....maybe Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:11:52 AM

St. Judes is good.

Another two I could suggest are the American Red Cross and The Water Project

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:42:21 AM

Regarding power/noise, I hear from the following article that you're decreasing the speed of the chips to make it "quiet."  I'm not sure why you would do that as most of your customers are going to be putting this in a server room, closet, basement or other area where they currently have motherboards with video cards hanging out of them that sound like jet engines and generate more heat than a jet engine.

http://bitcoinmagazine.net/butterfly-labs-releases-more-asic-photos/

Are you planning on releasing a firmware that spins the fan at 85% speed and runs the chips at the maximum speed that's safe to keep the temps under control?  I really hope so - not sure why I'd want to pay good money to make sure my mining operation is "quiet enough."  Follow-up question: if said firmware was released, what would the power usage and GH/s do?

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:55:32 AM

(I will take suggestions on which charity to donate this to)

Food for the Hungry: http://fh.org/

Everyone needs to eat. $10k+ goes a long way.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:24:41 AM

I fail to see how either Tom Cablepair or Inaba can really believe that all this school playground behaviour is any good for either of their organizations.

Has anyone noticed how reputable businesses could easily play this ridiculous game of PR one-up-man-ship, and yet by and large don't do it? Because it makes them look bad? Even when they do engage in this sort of thing, they at least have the sense to dress it up in a bogus intellectual property lawsuit.

You two appear like a pair of WWE wrestlers in a pre-match taunting session (to me, anyway)

Vires in numeris
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:49:29 AM

I fail to see how either Tom Cablepair or Inaba can really believe that all this school playground behaviour is any good for either of their organizations.

Has anyone noticed how reputable businesses could easily play this ridiculous game of PR one-up-man-ship, and yet by and large don't do it? Because it makes them look bad? Even when they do engage in this sort of thing, they at least have the sense to dress it up in a bogus intellectual property lawsuit.

You two appear like a pair of WWE wrestlers in a pre-match taunting session (to me, anyway)
+1
This whole thing is fucking retarded.
Inaba trolled the bASIC thread, Tom challenged him over BFL's power figures, Inaba turned the bet down because Tom wouldn't publish his own power figures at this point, now it's descended into this shitstorm.
It's totally rediculous, both companies should just focus on getting their (already delayed in the case of BFL) products to market.
panda1

Activity: 187

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:04:01 AM

Sh*t just got real!  Shocked
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:55:56 AM

St. Judes is good.

I went to Ethiopia last year, and we worked with A Child's Right, which is now called Splash. They focus on water filtration, as it's a very cost effective to install and maintain clean drinking water.

We also worked with The Selamta Family Project, one of the most successful orphanage family-home systems in Ethiopia. They do some awesome work there.

I'm actually not able to go back this year, but my sister has an opportunity to go there, and she'll be meeting with all the great people I met.

My brother is also heavily involved with Not For Sale, a highly effective anti-slavery and anti-sex trafficking organization.

There's all kinds of good stuff going on in with those 3 organizations. Seriously, check them out.

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:16:09 AM

St. Judes is good.

I went to Ethiopia last year, and we worked with A Child's Right, which is now called Splash. They focus on water filtration, as it's a very cost effective to install and maintain clean drinking water.

We also worked with The Selamta Family Project, one of the most successful orphanage family-home systems in Ethiopia. They do some awesome work there.

I'm actually not able to go back this year, but my sister has an opportunity to go there, and she'll be meeting with all the great people I met.

My brother is also heavily involved with Not For Sale, a highly effective anti-slavery and anti-sex trafficking organization.

There's all kinds of good stuff going on in with those 3 organizations. Seriously, check them out.

Those are very nice charities,with noble intentions....but how about giving some money to our US kids that are also deserving.Maybe Big Brothers/Sisters or something.Or some education fund to help parentless kids.

Not trying to sound like a jerk either,but I couldn't think of another way to word it,sorry  Embarrassed

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 03:29:48 AM

BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims
Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us, I am offering up a guarantee of 1000 BTC to charity (I will take suggestions on which charity to donate this to) if BFL does not meet it's power claims within 10% - meaning if BFL's power consumption is more than 66w for a Single SC, we lose the "bet."

Now, I ask if Tom is willing to step up and back the winning side.  He is 100% confident that we will not meet our power claims (which is the genesis of the failed bet), and as such I ask that he pony up 1000 BTC to the same charity if we do make our power claims. 

So there it is:  Tom is confident that we won't make our power claims, I am confident that we will.  I am willing to put up 1000 BTC to show my confidence in BFL products.  Is Tom confident enough to do the same or is he just blowing hot air?

is a confusing topic
you said bfl was trying not to post on this forum or something - to see their own forum...

is it BFL or Inaba?
If the former wouldn't the BFL_Josh user be more appropriate? If the latter: why the misleading topic subject?

Please clarify for those of us losing the distinction between the Inaba and BFL_Josh accounts.
thanks

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:39:46 AM

St. Judes is good.

Those are very nice charities,with noble intentions....but how about giving some money to our US kids that are also deserving.Maybe Big Brothers/Sisters or something.Or some education fund to help parentless kids.

Not trying to sound like a jerk either,but I couldn't think of another way to word it,sorry  Embarrassed

I totally get what you're saying. I also work with Jr and Sr high students in my local town, and there are some great kids in there. I just don't know much about the Big Brother/Sister organization to make a judgement. However, there are also plenty of organization that deal with sex trafficking here in the US (yes, it does happen here). It's basically forced prostitution. Check out Not For Sale, International Justice Mission, and the Polaris Project. Even Obama made a speech just last month about efforts by the US to put a stop to this.

Sorry if I'm coming on lil strong, but this is something that's very important to me, my family, my friends, and my church. We throw a shit-ton of money and support toward whoever we think can do the best job.

squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:44:22 AM

BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims

is a confusing topic
you said bfl was trying not to post on this forum or something - to see their own forum...

is it BFL or Inaba?
If the former wouldn't the BFL_Josh user be more appropriate? If the latter: why the misleading topic subject?

Please clarify for those of us losing the distinction between the Inaba and BFL_Josh accounts.
thanks

I didn't know there was a distinction...
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:52:35 AM

I have a feeling another scammer tag is gonna be handed out soon =P

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:14:04 AM

Though I see your point, it is sad that when people pay sharks so much money, people (like you?) think that suddenly makes something respectable.

I certainly have no respect for such sharks so I cannot see how them doing something can add any respect at all to it ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:17:05 AM

St. Judes is good.

Not trying to sound like a jerk either,but I couldn't think of another way to word it,sorry  Embarrassed

I totally get what you're saying. I also work with Jr and Sr high students in my local town, and there are some great kids in there. I just don't know much about the Big Brother/Sister organization to make a judgement. However, there are also plenty of organization that deal with sex trafficking here in the US (yes, it does happen here). It's basically forced prostitution. Check out Not For Sale, International Justice Mission, and the Polaris Project. Even Obama made a speech just last month about efforts by the US to put a stop to this.

Sorry if I'm coming on lil strong, but this is something that's very important to me, my family, my friends, and my church. We throw a shit-ton of money and support toward whoever we think can do the best job.

It's cool  Cool

Never worked with BB either,just tossed it out there,so to speak.I did do community service for ARC (Association for Retarded Citizens).They are really amazing,working full time jobs & trying to just get along like normal folks  Cool

Maybe split the donation between some local orphanages (in Kansas or anywhere here in the states) so the kids can have a decent christmas.Or is there an charity that runs orphanages on a small scale ??

Just thinkin out loud  Wink

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:21:36 AM

I have to say, this is terrible.

Not only did Inaba turn a hit at Tom on power figures, now he is turning around and making it seem like it was his bet to Tom. (instead of the otherwa around)...It was the other way around.

To top it off....hes now opened a thread and is now making it seem as if Charities will "win out" of this skirmish of words and bitcoin bets....people are all riled up over which charity is more deserving....

You guys are being played with like toys....

I don't know about you, but I am personally offended at this tactic. I understand Psychological games...but this game is one gone way too far. I'd ask for Mod intervention but I don't know if they would even bother with this mess.
reeses
Donator

Activity: 151

Assholier-than-thou retard magnet

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:42:05 AM

In fact I would like to nominate my home town, which I had to leave after we had some severe earthquakes that destroyed the city.

Much of the CBD buildings lost there frontages. My home was fine, my parents lost theirs and had to live with me for 3 months. FEEL MY PAIN! Wink

PurposeDonation amount
AFOC: Hardship & Relief
Reference: 010
$100.00 USD

I specified that it was donated on behalf of scary-eyed batman, so if they don't thank you, punch them in the nuts.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:44:47 AM

St. Judes is good.

Not trying to sound like a jerk either,but I couldn't think of another way to word it,sorry  Embarrassed

It's cool  Cool

Never worked with BB either,just tossed it out there,so to speak.I did do community service for ARC (Association for Retarded Citizens).They are really amazing,working full time jobs & trying to just get along like normal folks  Cool

Maybe split the donation between some local orphanages (in Kansas or anywhere here in the states) so the kids can have a decent christmas.Or is there an charity that runs orphanages on a small scale ??

Just thinkin out loud  Wink
IIRC, most western countries have moved away from a traditional "orphanage" and have adopted something similar to our Foster Care system.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:53:35 AM

PurposeDonation amount
$100.00 USD

I specified that it was donated on behalf of scary-eyed batman, so if they don't thank you, punch them in the nuts.
+10

Now that is the REAL spirit of charity.
aqrulesms

Activity: 373

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:04:31 AM

Not only did Inaba turn a hit at Tom on power figures, now he is turning around and making it seem like it was his bet to Tom. (instead of the otherwa around)...It was the other way around.

To top it off....hes now opened a thread and is now making it seem as if Charities will "win out" of this skirmish of words and bitcoin bets....people are all riled up over which charity is more deserving....

I don't know about you, but I am personally offended at this tactic. I understand Psychological games...but this game is one gone way too far. I'd ask for Mod intervention but I don't know if they would even bother with this mess.

All the more to stay away from BFL. 

+1

██ ██    ██ ██    ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██  ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██    ██ ██ ██      ██    ██ ██ ██
   ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄
   ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██    ██  
▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
     ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
    ██  ▄  ▄▄  ▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄  ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
        ▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
        ▀▀  ▀ ▀▀ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀  ▀  ██ ██
         ██ ██ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ██ ██ ▄ ▄▄
           ▄▄  ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀      ▄▄ ▀▀
           ▀▀    ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀
UCHAIN  ▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
.████████████████████████.
██████████████████████████
███▄     ███████     ▄████
█████     █████     ██████
█████ ▌    ███▌     ██████
█████ █     █▌ ▐    ██████
█████ ██      ▐█    ██████
█████ ███    ▐██    ██████
████▀ ▀███   ███    ██████
██▀     ▀██ ██▀      ▀████
██████████████▀     ▀█████
███ ▀████████▌        ▄███
███    ▀████▀        ▄████
███                 ▐█████
████                ▐█████
██████              ██████
███████           ▄███████
██████▀         ▄█████████
████▄▄      ▄▄████████████
.███████████████████████.
█████████████████████████
███████████████████▀▀▀███
█████████████▀▀▀ ▄    ███
████████▀▀     ▄█▀   ▐███
████▀▀       ▄█▀     ████
█▀         ▄██      ▐████
████▄▄▄  ▄██▀       █████
███████████        ▐█████
██████████         ██████
██████████ ▄██▄▄  ▐██████
█████████████████████████
.███████████████████████.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:07:44 AM

If the Bet occurs between Tom and Josh, may I propose (or second) another user suggestion : http://thewaterproject.org/

Before eating and shelter, water needs are more urgent, 3 days without water = dead !

I'd love to see that bet come true, I dont care about BFL bAsic Avalon asic power usage, any asic miner i'll have, I'll enjoy, sounds and power usage are very secondary to me.

But I think that if someone have 1000 BTC to spare on a bet, this kind of ressources could help a lot of kids/peoples.. Maybe one of the kid that will be saved, will be the next Einstein or Ghandi or ..!

my 2 satoshi !
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:17:39 AM

I'd love to see that bet come true, not that I care about BFL or another companie asic power usage, but I think that if someone have 1000 BTC to bet, this kind of ressources could help a lot of kids/peoples.. Maybe one of the kid that will be saved, will be the next Einstein or Ghandi or ..!

my 2 satoshi !
This thread is tantamount to grandstanding on a soap box over an offer that (for absolutely sure) the other party won't ever accept. Even rejected before the thread was created this offer was already rejected.

It is like mounting a false motive through a thread over "a bet" you already know the other person has very clearly stated they have already rejected.

Bringing up the "Charity" issue and having members discuss/debate "to whom" the spoils of this bet should go to.....when the proposed donor knows it will never even become a bet is....

I best say no more. I don't like trash talk.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:21:32 AM

Though I see your point, it is sad that when people pay sharks so much money, people (like you?) think that suddenly makes something respectable.

I certainly have no respect for such sharks so I cannot see how them doing something can add any respect at all to it ...

You're quite right; these patent trolls fighting each other over IP rights to something that actually belongs to nobody does nothing for their reputations either. I'm talking about the perception of the average person towards these things, not my own.

No idea is original, the laws of nature/logic/physics already permit everything that's possible. Humans never "invented" anything, they simply observe natural phenomena and exploit those phenomena. Humans cannot make the impossible possible simply by conceiving it.

Vires in numeris
psilan

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:23:59 AM

PurposeDonation amount
$100.00 USD

Wow mate that is absolutely awesome! Thanks Cheesy.
Hard to say thank you enough.

dip
abracadabra

Activity: 956

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:30:31 PM

Now, I ask if Tom is willing to step up and back the winning side.  He is 100% confident that we will not meet our power claims (which is the genesis of the failed bet), and as such I ask that he pony up 1000 BTC to the same charity if we do make our power claims.  

So there it is:  Tom is confident that we won't make our power claims, I am confident that we will.  I am willing to put up 1000 BTC to show my confidence in BFL products.  Is Tom confident enough to do the same or is he just blowing hot air?

Wait.. wut?

Subject line says: "BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims"
Is BFL backing this bet?
You are posting as Inaba.  I thought the bet was between you and Tom, not between BFL and Tom.
Shouldn't you be posting as BFL_Josh?

Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 04:44:04 PM

Na, I knew Tom would chicken out and run back into his hole, so it was largely irrelevant as far as Tom goes.  I'm offering 1000 BTC on behalf of BFL regardless of what Tom does.  I never expected Tom to honor the intent of his bet anyway (Simply because he had no intention of going through with it from the start), so it was largely altruistic on my part to begin with, but only in so far as I don't think I will have to pay up and I know Tom would... but I'm more than willing to escrow the amount until such time as is required.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:18:31 PM

Na, I knew Tom would chicken out and run back into his hole, so it was largely irrelevant as far as Tom goes.  I'm offering 1000 BTC on behalf of BFL regardless of what Tom does.  I never expected Tom to honor the intent of his bet anyway (Simply because he had no intention of going through with it from the start), so it was largely altruistic on my part to begin with, but only in so far as I don't think I will have to pay up and I know Tom would... but I'm more than willing to escrow the amount until such time as is required.
So as it stands now, if you meet your power guidelines (<66W), you do nothing. If you don't meet your power estimates (>66W), you donate 1000BTC to charity. Is that it?

BobbyJo

Activity: 358

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 08:46:01 PM

Why not forget the power issue and bet when BFL will actually ship?  Or is that a step too far?

michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:35:09 PM

Would you be willing to make a bet with the community that x number of units will be shipped by some particular date and that the units will function at the specified power claims?
HolyScott

Activity: 181

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:37:26 AM

Make a Wish Foundation?
sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:33:27 AM

If the Single SC uses more than 66 Watts or if it uses less than 54 Watts then that will also be 10% off and the Charity wins.

Now can't you change the power consumption by changing the load.  So the Single SC will use no power when it is off.  Probably use less than 54 Watts when hashing at half speed.  So it is easy for the bet to pay off.  Or you need to be more specific about the condition that will trigger a Charity payoff.
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:35:27 AM

66 watts DC, or 66 watts AC?
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 05:04:07 AM

thank you for the clarification - Subject line says: "BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims" is misleading Sad

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:33:12 AM

I asked that on the BFL forums,it will be from the wall=120 volt  Wink

thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:40:42 AM

Ooo...now that's a ballzy bet on efficiency.
Kaliecious

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 07:25:02 AM

I got a GREAT idea, BFL take 500 BTC, the other company pony up 500 BTC and pool it, I say fuck the power claims I really dont care and never really have bet off or what ever and both companies donate it to a charitable orginization in both names and shake hands and make the best of it and each go thier way and do thier thing and in the end even with all the hupla both companies done something good TOGETHER.

But hey i'm no real voice,

Monkey1

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 08:32:38 AM

That depends on where you live.  For me- from the wall = 240 V

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:12:20 AM

I asked that on the BFL forums,it will be from the wall=120 volt  Wink

That depends on where you live.  For me- from the wall = 240 V

OOO,higher voltage=less wattage Shocked  

BFL may get less than 60 watts yet..........over in europe  Cheesy

I know it'll almost be the same in reality.

cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:28:21 AM

W=A*V

In Europe the wattage will be the same.

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
dirtycat

Activity: 456

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:12:32 PM

+1

+2

poop!
Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 01:13:07 PM

+1

+2

+3

michaelmclees

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:36:22 PM

So I guess he's not interested in my bet.   Cry
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:41:12 PM

W=A*V

Last I checked in Spain we got 220V, not 240. Not that it makes a big difference though.
abeaulieu

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:53:44 PM

W=A*V

Last I checked in Spain we got 220V, not 240. Not that it makes a big difference though.

As long as the efficiency of the power supply brick doesn't change with voltage range, the power ("wattage") will be the same no matter the operating AC voltage. From what I've heard the cheap-ish power supplies that they use currently aren't incredibly efficient as it is, so that is actually working against them with this bet.
scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 06:06:18 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2012, 06:17:13 PM by scrybe

That's great, Phinnaeus!  My only beef with EFF is their abandonment of Bitcoin, so I have to assess if that's enough to put them out of the running.  But if another worthy charity is put forth, I am certainly open to consider it.  

I hear this all the time, and i believe it's misleading. The EFF didn't abandon Bitcoin, they ensured that if there was a legal dispute around BitCoin that they would have standing as something other than a co-defendant. It's pretty cut and dried that they did the right thing for us in the long run by ensuring we can call on them if needed.

Once the law is clear, I don't think they will have any problem turning it back on. Until they they are returning funds to the community through the bitcoin faucet.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin

Also, while I think that all the charities mentioned look very deserving, wouldn't it be a good idea donate that 1000BTC to a BitCoin related organization like the BitCoin Foundation? or DevCoin Bounties? Something to help propel the community forward by reinvestment.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 06:45:14 PM

Ok, I can buy into that they don't want to be a co-defendant and that's all well and good.  But the link you posted, which is the one I base my opinion off of reads very differently.  For example:

1.   We don't fully understand the complex legal issues involved with creating a new currency system.
This is their job.  They are suppose to figure out the complex legal issues for these sorts of things.

But as I said, I can buy into it for future purposes.  But they way they've worded all their stances on Bitcoin has turned a number of other organizations off to Bitcoin.  I think EFF has handled the whole situation poorly and made no effort to correct it.  Is that enough to withhold donations?  I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

poon-TANG

Activity: 150

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 07:12:23 PM

Nvidia does it all the time.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 08:33:04 PM

And they're not the only ones. Have you even SEEN a presidential debate in the US recently?

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:24:54 PM

And they're not the only ones. Have you even SEEN a presidential debate in the US recently?

Yes, I feel the intense embarrassment that the candidates should be feeling whenever I witness these farcical debates. How people can't recognise such blatant fakery in front of their own two eyes just amazes me.

Vires in numeris
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 09:29:35 AM

By the way, did BFL management ever approve the 1000BTC bet?

That is like 12,000 dollars. Do they [BFL management] have the luxury of throwing around that kind of money on a silly bet? Or was this an employee decision?
Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 10:40:10 AM

They've collected millions of dollars in pre-orders. They can afford to throw around $12k on something that will encourage more sales. Smiley

Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 10:53:00 AM

That is like 12,000 dollars. Do they [BFL management] have the luxury of throwing around that kind of money on a silly bet? Or was this an employee decision?
It's only 12 pre-orders
squid

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:31:04 PM

+1

+2

+3
+4
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:33:25 PM

I believe that cablepair was proffering his own personal funds to cover his stake. Inaba never get as far as confirming whether or not he would be using his money or BFL (customer's) money, although he implied that the company would be putting up the stake in his "BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims" thread.

It's not good form for people that are soliciting pre-order money for a product that hasn't even finished the design work, let alone produced any, to then start gambling with large sums of money, in a public arena, as a way of convincing customers that their product is superior and/or the company's product claims to be more trustworthy. It has convinced me of neither of those things, it just looks reckless and ill-considered, and not very encouraging to anyone wondering which of these people to trust (and trust in their ability to deliver is vastly the most valuable thing that these companies have to offer at this stage of the ASIC market)

Vires in numeris
tigereye

Activity: 79

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:10:33 PM

I would nominate Gmaxwell as escrow assuming he is agreeable to it.  Yes, I propose the looser pays the 1000 BTC to charity.
hah so YOU were the one who wrote the two BFL email newsletters Wink

Tighten up your English! Kiss

If my posts have helped, consider leaving a tip! 1AE5e56ivvaGMJJmLrZoLgiZXPx93CddyA
abeaulieu

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 01:54:11 AM

It's only 12 pre-orders

Well it's hardly a bet if the party already has the answer/outcome before placing the bet...
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 11:11:36 AM

let's see how this ends up...
michaelmclees

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:59:09 PM

Well it's hardly a bet if the party already has the answer/outcome before placing the bet...

I disagree.  Those are the best kinds of bets.

If Inaba really knows the answers and is willing to put money into escrow to prove it, it would send a very clear signal to the market.  The signal, conceivably, could mislead the market (he's sacrificing 1000BTC to make 5000BTC in more preorders), but that just raises another potential bet.  Bets are useful.  Take a look at Intrade.
kakobrekla

Activity: 714

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:07:48 PM

Ok, so, now what?

ThickAsThieves

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:09:53 PM

I know a good charity in need of a new pet shelter, can I nominate them? (Not joking, currently working on helping them accept BTC as donations)
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:10:08 PM

Ok, so, now what?

Better call Luke-jr.

I'm sure he received 1000 BTC for charitable purposes (more pills).

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
HUSTLER

Activity: 185

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 11:30:14 PM

Give some to world food program.

http://www.wfp.org/

██  ██████████████          1 x B i t . c o m     |     BIG 5     |          ██████████████  ██
►  5 LEAGUES      ►  5 BITCOIN
██                       75 WINNERS DRAWN MONTHLY                       ██
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:16:56 AM

Cue Josh being all Josh about this bet...
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:20:25 AM

ASBIRO (Alternative School of Business and Personal Development) - http://www.asbiro.pl/afryka/

They are building a private pre-school in Zambia now which will be named after Ludwig von Mises, and they will be also teaching kids about business and economics in the Austrian school spirit.

When it is finished they will build a school, and after that a higher education institution.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:05:47 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 04:19:19 PM by MPOE-PR

ASBIRO (Alternative School of Business and Personal Development) - http://www.asbiro.pl/afryka/

They are building a private pre-school in Zambia now which will be named after Ludwig von Mises, and they will be also teaching kids about business and economics in the Austrian school spirit.

When it is finished they will build a school, and after that a higher education institution.

You know this is actually a good one. They get my vote for the imaginary 1000 BTC BFL will scam them for by never delivering in the first place. You know, just like they did to the general BTC community.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:02:54 AM

Donation is in the last stage of payment....

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 06:23:29 PM

Given the OP of this thread and the following, I guess this is Josh's bet and not BFL's:

Re: 1GH/s, 20w, $500 — Butterflylabs, is it a scam?
November 08, 2011, 01:30:52 PM                                                    #299

Hi guys,

Just a quick note. 

BF Labs Inc. will not be involving itself in any wagers.  If our generous friend would follow through on their promise of a $10,000 bounty for producing a unit with performance as described, we'll be happy to claim that amount in the name of a charity of the board's choice.  However, no such bounty has been placed in escrow and I don't think anyone truly expects our generous friend to follow through.

Regarding your individual wagers, I would be careful to allow for some upside flexibility in the performance claims.  It would be unfortunate if you were to loose a wager should the unit exceed expectations, due to a badly worded bet definition.   

I'm not saying the units perform differently than our purchase guarantee as stated on the site.  Just choose your words carefully.

Kind regards,
BFL
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 07:08:59 PM

Close to $100,000, I'll be watching to see how this plays out if it ever happens. I find this betting to be childish but if the charities get paid then I'm fine with it!
surebet

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 08:50:39 PM

Unless I slipped in the shower this morning we're in 2013. Right?

Given the OP of this thread and the following, I guess this is Josh's bet and not BFL's:

November 08, 2011, 01:30:52 PM                                                    #299

Hi guys,

Just a quick note. 

BF Labs Inc. will not be involving itself in any wagers.  If our generous friend would follow through on their promise of a $10,000 bounty for producing a unit with performance as described, we'll be happy to claim that amount in the name of a charity of the board's choice.  However, no such bounty has been placed in escrow and I don't think anyone truly expects our generous friend to follow through.

Regarding your individual wagers, I would be careful to allow for some upside flexibility in the performance claims.  It would be unfortunate if you were to loose a wager should the unit exceed expectations, due to a badly worded bet definition.   

I'm not saying the units perform differently than our purchase guarantee as stated on the site.  Just choose your words carefully.

Kind regards,
BFL
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 09:13:56 PM

Unless I slipped in the shower this morning we're in 2013. Right?

Hi guys,

Just a quick note. 

Kind regards,
BFL

You are correct, hence pointing out the highlighted text.
supercoins

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:12:12 AM

Bitcoins for a good cause
Syke
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:33:06 AM

Hi guys,

Just a quick note. 

Kind regards,
BFL

That sounds like some other bet. The 1000 BTC is the bet on their official forums.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content/123-bfl-offers-1000-btc-charity-if-they-miss-their-power-targets.html

We are so confident in our power consumption that we are offering up 1000 BTC to charity if we miss our power consumption targets by more than 10%.

Buy & Hold
kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:43:50 AM

Yes it was more than a year ago - the FPGA Single ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 06:49:14 AM

The reference was about bets in general. BFL doesn't make bets.
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:59:46 AM

Can't you read?

We are so confident in our power consumption that we are offering up 1000 BTC to charity if we miss our power consumption targets by more than 10%. We are offering our devices at 1 watt consumed per gigahash. If our power targets end up consuming more than 1.1w of power per gigahash, we will donate 1000 BTC to charity! How is that for confidence in our power usage?

With the recent focus on power consumption, we want to reiterate that we stand behind our customers and our products. We have designed our mining equipment to be the smallest, fastest, most aesthetically pleasing and most power efficient mining device available on the planet. We guarantee that in the form of 1000 BTC! When you buy a BFL product, you know you're getting the absolute best mining device available, period.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content/123-bfl-offers-1000-btc-charity-if-they-miss-their-power-targets.html

BFL should get the scammer tag if they don't pay up.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:01:25 AM

Can't you read?

We are so confident in our power consumption that we are offering up 1000 BTC to charity if we miss our power consumption targets by more than 10%. We are offering our devices at 1 watt consumed per gigahash. If our power targets end up consuming more than 1.1w of power per gigahash, we will donate 1000 BTC to charity! How is that for confidence in our power usage?

With the recent focus on power consumption, we want to reiterate that we stand behind our customers and our products. We have designed our mining equipment to be the smallest, fastest, most aesthetically pleasing and most power efficient mining device available on the planet. We guarantee that in the form of 1000 BTC! When you buy a BFL product, you know you're getting the absolute best mining device available, period.

I was referring to the posts above mine - meh I thought it was obvious I guess not for some Tongue

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:20:45 AM

Hey dipshit,

Now that you ass-hats have failed to deliver on your power specs and speeds, perhaps it is time to pay up the 1000 BTC to a charity and then prove you actually paid them? Oh wait...you have more important things to do like troll BTCtalk and cuss at your customers.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:21:10 AM

Can't you read?

+1 they should get a scammer tag already.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Bitinvestor

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:02:48 PM

I was referring to the posts above mine - meh I thought it was obvious I guess not for some Tongue

Okay, sorry, my bad.

There isn't any wiggle room in that quote. They missed their estimates by a mile and now they should pay up.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:17:07 PM

Okay, sorry, my bad.

There isn't any wiggle room in that quote. They missed their estimates by a mile and now they should pay up.
Yep.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 03:20:20 AM

Apologies for jumping in earlier and messing things up a tad. I just now realized that this thread was started last year, assuming it was a recent thread still hashing the 1000 BTC bet(?), thinking all along it's been a continuation from a recent timeline.

I now clearly see that at one time BFL stated that they don't get involve with bets, yet later did put out a statement contrary to that, albeit they may not consider it a bet, but I'm not sure as to what else to call it.

The way I now read it is that we clearly have two, count 'em, 2 1000 BTC bets offered up at approximately the same time by two different entities. Ain't this special!

Quote from: Inaba on October 19, 2012, 04:04:56 PM

Published on 10-19-2012 06:33 PM                              66 Comments

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:33:32 PM

Anyone know of any updates concerning the topic of these bets?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 04:53:59 PM

Anyone know of any updates concerning the topic of these bets?

Update: Nada update!

OTOH!

Assembler: Señor, Sonny, we have run out of parts to make Jalapeños.
Josh: I'll handle this, Sonny. Then tu go home at lunche today.
Sonny: Well played!
Josh: I love Mondays!
surebet

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:23:35 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208837.0
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 09:31:22 AM

Just figured I would quote this.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 08:20:45 PM

Now, I ask if Tom is willing to step up and back the winning side.  He is 100% confident that we will not meet our power claims (which is the genesis of the failed bet), and as such I ask that he pony up 1000 BTC to the same charity if we do make our power claims.  

So there it is:  Tom is confident that we won't make our power claims, I am confident that we will.  I am willing to put up 1000 BTC to show my confidence in BFL products.  Is Tom confident enough to do the same or is he just blowing hot air?

'offering', 'willing'

but there is no "bet" as outlined in paragraph 1 if this tom person didn't 'agree to do the same'.  did he?  i'm not going to read this whole thread.  if not, then why dredge up this old bs?

maybe there is a better post to quote?
surebet

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 09:22:12 PM

'offering', 'willing'

but there is no "bet" as outlined in paragraph 1 if this tom person didn't 'agree to do the same'.  did he?  i'm not going to read this whole thread.  if not, then why dredge up this old bs?

In fact, there is.

Emphasis mine.

Arguably he should have been Toxx'ed as soon as the funds didn't show up in escrow, but you know, forum collusion and all.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 02:49:35 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 10:12:41 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Na, I knew Tom would chicken out and run back into his hole, so it was largely irrelevant as far as Tom goes.  I'm offering 1000 BTC on behalf of BFL regardless of what Tom does.  I never expected Tom to honor the intent of his bet anyway (Simply because he had no intention of going through with it from the start), so it was largely altruistic on my part to begin with, but only in so far as I don't think I will have to pay up and I know Tom would... but I'm more than willing to escrow the amount until such time as is required.

Another mother fuckin' memo I didn't get! When the hell did it become okay for a COO of a company to make bets on behalf of the company they work for?

Now read the last bold statement carefully! Josh is stating that he's confident that he would win the bet if Tom followed through, but since Tom back out, Josh offers up 1000 BTC on behalf of the company and is willing to put said amount in escrow, of which he didn't do, for he didn't need to because he's a man of his word.

That's Bet one/1/uno for 1000 BTC.

Now, for bet(?) two/2/dos for 1000 BTC.

A representative of BFL (not Josh, though not stipulated) offers up a guarantee of 1000 BTC on their official forum, done so to garner more sales, of which they accomplished said task.

Now, let's get this mother fuckin' straight! There are two, not one, 1000 BTC bets/guarantees that need to be honored. Both were offered up on separate channels and were never meant to be of the same ilk, albeit they may have been combined as such at a later date.
surebet

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:19:58 AM

When the hell did it become okay for a COO of a company to make bets on behalf of the company they work for?

It's perfectly acceptable for a C-level administrator to make these kinds of calls, even if it means the other partners might feel the need to bludgeon him afterwards.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 05:27:13 AM

'offering', 'willing'

In fact, there is.

Emphasis mine.

Arguably he should have been Toxx'ed as soon as the funds didn't show up in escrow, but you know, forum collusion and all.

ok, i am in agreements that that quoted statement is definitive Grin
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 07:50:06 PM

This still hasn't been paid off?

Typical BFL, give them a few weeks, they take a few years.

BFL, I have nothing to do with your company or any of your employees, however it seems you owe some coins, time to pay up.

If they don't make good on this bet, wouldn't that earn them a Scammer tag on the forums?

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Bitinvestor

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:43:59 PM

If they don't make good on this bet, wouldn't that earn them a Scammer tag on the forums?

They are the largest advertiser on this forum and that's why they don't get the scammer tag.

In my opinion they should get the scammer tag and they shouldn't be allowed to advertise here again until they have shipped their outstanding orders and paid their debts. We don't need prominent Big Fat Liars.

FloridaBear

Activity: 260

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 09:02:41 PM

Here's what worries me:

meaning if BFL's power consumption is more than 66w for a Single SC, we lose the "bet."

Since BFL never delivered any "Single SC" products, this could allow them to weasel out of the original "bet." Although:

If our power targets end up consuming more than 1.1w of power per gigahash, we will donate 1000 BTC to charity

seems pretty straightforward, and should be honored, since none of their products (at least version 1) will be even close to 1.1w/GH.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 03:26:17 AM

Unlike Josh, I'm not going to bother the mods by putting this in the scammer section, but somebody else is more than welcome to do such.

As any sane person can see, Josh owes 1000 BTC to some charity(s). This has nothing to do with BFL's guarantee, runeks' bet, or not having to honor it because Tom is out of the picture. Reread the very first sentence if you're unsure of Josh's intent. The following two sentences was Josh's way of coercing Tom to act.

As many times as this 1000 BTC guarantee, of sorts, has been brought to Josh's attention, he has failed to address it, just like he has failed to readdress the in-two-weeksTM FCC certification from back in November of last year and inform us of who was Sonny K. he spoke with when he first went to BFL's former facility in KC, MO, Sonny's step dad's old photo studio, later referring to said Sonny as Sonny Vleisides.

I look forward to Josh's reply once he wakes from his nap and gets on with his daily chat with LukeJr between midnight and 2AM.
Syke
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 07:55:36 PM

I am offering up a guarantee of 1000 BTC to charity (I will take suggestions on which charity to donate this to) if BFL does not meet it's power claims within 10% - meaning if BFL's power consumption is more than 66w for a Single SC, we lose the "bet."

Still waiting on that 1000 BTC to charity donation.

Buy & Hold
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 08:29:24 PM

Lol.
Good memories.

ThickAsThieves

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 08:49:20 PM

I am offering up a guarantee of 1000 BTC to charity (I will take suggestions on which charity to donate this to) if BFL does not meet it's power claims within 10% - meaning if BFL's power consumption is more than 66w for a Single SC, we lose the "bet."

Still waiting on that 1000 BTC to charity donation.

Didn't you hear, they gave it to themselves.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 10:12:15 PM

Na, I knew Tom would chicken out and run back into his hole, so it was largely irrelevant as far as Tom goes.  I'm offering 1000 BTC on behalf of BFL regardless of what Tom does.  I never expected Tom to honor the intent of his bet anyway (Simply because he had no intention of going through with it from the start), so it was largely altruistic on my part to begin with, but only in so far as I don't think I will have to pay up and I know Tom would... but I'm more than willing to escrow the amount until such time as is required.

Another mother fuckin' memo I didn't get! When the hell did it become okay for a COO of a company to make bets on behalf of the company they work for?

Now read the last bold statement carefully! Josh is stating that he's confident that he would win the bet if Tom followed through, but since Tom back out, Josh offers up 1000 BTC on behalf of the company and is willing to put said amount in escrow, of which he didn't do, for he didn't need to because he's a man of his word.

That's Bet one/1/uno for 1000 BTC.

Now, for bet(?) two/2/dos for 1000 BTC.

A representative of BFL (not Josh, though not stipulated) offers up a guarantee of 1000 BTC on their official forum, done so to garner more sales, of which they accomplished said task.

Now, let's get this mother fuckin' straight! There are two, not one, 1000 BTC bets/guarantees that need to be honored. Both were offered up on separate channels and were never meant to be of the same ilk, albeit they may have been combined as such at a later date.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:15:26 AM

What happened in this thread? Did the 1000 BTC get donated to charity yet?
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:22:45 AM

They created an ad-hoc charity they donated the 1000btc to.

kakobrekla

Activity: 714

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 01:25:04 PM

And bribed the bitcoin foundation/lukejr, etc.

b!z
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 01:29:58 PM

So they sent the BTC to themselves... doesn't sound very fair :-)
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:37:07 PM

Are empty promises really surprising anyone at this point?
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 10:05:34 AM

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

b!z
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 11:35:20 AM

Plenty of people have failed to pay up on big bets :-)
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 11:38:05 PM

What did everybody expect...

Maybe they will pay next month...

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 08:57:18 AM

Yes, several months ago.

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:20:52 PM

Inaba = Biggest Scum Bag in these Forums.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: