Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:49:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Email problems using Thunderbird & Enigmail for GPG  (Read 1253 times)
Longclaw (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:39:38 AM

I'm trying to use Thunderbird and Enigmail (windows 7) for sending encrypted messages via GPG.  But the email providers I've tried haven't worked 100%.  Is there one that works best for Thunderbird or for another GPG interface?

The following are the email providers I've tried and the result:

Hushmail -  need premium service.  Kind of defeats purpose of being anonymous.

vmail  - kept getting "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender", saying my IP address is blocked to prevent spam, even though I tried sending from my home IP address.

hotmail - doesn't handle attachments using Thunderbird and couldn't send my public ID key using attachments or a simple cut/paste.

fastmail - can't send mail because doesn't allow SMTP (outgoing server) unless you upgrade to their paying service.
BitcoinOxygen

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 12:45:21 AM

I'm trying to use Thunderbird and Enigmail (windows 7) for sending encrypted messages via GPG.  But the email providers I've tried haven't worked 100%.  Is there one that works best for Thunderbird or for another GPG interface?

The following are the email providers I've tried and the result:

Hushmail -  need premium service.  Kind of defeats purpose of being anonymous.

vmail  - kept getting "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender", saying my IP address is blocked to prevent spam, even though I tried sending from my home IP address.

hotmail - doesn't handle attachments using Thunderbird and couldn't send my public ID key using attachments or a simple cut/paste.

fastmail - can't send mail because doesn't allow SMTP (outgoing server) unless you upgrade to their paying service.

why don't you post this on a technical forum?

BTCOxygen PPS Mining Pool 2% Fee  <<<  Join Now
Longclaw (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:20:30 AM

I'm a newbie, so restricted.  Eventually I want to move it.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:45:58 AM

Hotmail handles attachments very well in Thunderbird.
And I just sent an encrypted test mail from my Hotmail and it worked. Pub key attachment included.
Longclaw (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:04:41 AM

Hotmail handles attachments very well in Thunderbird.
And I just sent an encrypted test mail from my Hotmail and it worked. Pub key attachment included.

Thanks for the reply.

Which version of Thunderbird are you using?  I read that hotmail had attachment problems after version 3.*.*.  I have version 16.0.1.  Also, are you using a VPN client like hotspotshield while using Thunderbird?  I have hotspotshield enabled.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:08:39 AM

16.0.1 also.

No VPN. Just behind my wifi router lol
Most likely hotmail is blocking hotspotshield IP's, because of spam/scams, you know.
Longclaw (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:04:05 AM

Yeah, hotmail seems to work better with hotspotshield turned off.  Still playing with it.  Thanks for the input.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: