Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:10:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pay for a Limo or Taxi in New York with Bitcoins!  (Read 2288 times)
Liquid (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:38:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scGM3nRsrlY

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:50:39 PM

Wicked Smiley
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:29:41 PM

I highly suggest BitPay (and everyone else) rephrase this type of pitch. Do not say "if you would like to start accepting bitcoins for your business", but do say "if you wish to start accepting payments through Bitcoin network..." The difference may be subtle, but it is important. Accepting some new kind of internet coins I've never heard of is not as hot as receiving instantaneous, irreversible USD payments into my bank account (which is what happens in reality).

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:45:42 PM

I highly suggest BitPay (and everyone else) rephrase this type of pitch. Do not say "if you would like to start accepting bitcoins for your business", but do say "if you wish to start accepting payments through Bitcoin network..." The difference may be subtle, but it is important. Accepting some new kind of internet coins I've never heard of is not as hot as receiving instantaneous, irreversible USD payments into my bank account (which is what happens in reality).

^^^This!

Many people are not interested in "Nerd money", but if they here: Get irreversible, instant, low fee USD Payments, that sounds interesting.

And once they are hooked, they will find out what bitcoins actually are, completely on their own.

Oh! And really nice advertising video, by the way.

They are starting to get professional.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:48:55 PM

Love the work Bitpay is doing.  (keep it up guys)

But I have to agree.  The marketing of bitcoin has been discussed in other threads but I really think we need better terminology and talking points to be able to gain wider understanding, acceptance and adoption.

Even hearing charlie@bitinstiant (one of bitcoins biggest public advocates) in the resent youtube interview he stumbled over the technical descriptions and terminology.  No offence intended  - just a fact that we could all use talking point when talking to the media, friends and associates.

Maybe that is something the Foundation could take on and distribute to its member business.  

Nike has "Just do it"

Coke has "Its the Real Thing"

etc.

Bitcoin has "??"

(Silk Road, Bitcoinica, GLBSE, Pirateat40, Intersango...)

[it obviously need a LOT of work...]
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 05:56:52 PM

Thanks guys.  I do like the suggestion of mentioning the bitcoin network and not bitcoins.  Good idea.

I had written a blog post to go more in-depth to the story, here:

http://www.howtoacceptbitcoin.com

This blog by-the-way is something we'd like to start using to point businesses to.  Each post will be short but will cover a unique reason WHY to accept bitcoins.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 05:57:34 PM

Wow very nice. Always good news to see the use spreading to more practical uses.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 07:30:32 PM

I think the video was superb. The new voice over you use is very good. I love it. Makes me want to go to New York.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 07:38:00 PM

There is one thing that was not clear to me in the video: how long does it take for a Bitpay order to reach the other device (the receiver) as a final payment? The video seemed cut at that moment while the light intensity changed. A keen watcher would ask himself the same thing as I do.

On the website, it is shown that payment takes about 30seconds. You may want to address that in future video's (30s is not bad, but not superquick either). Eventually, tech will advance so speed of payment will also.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 11:11:33 AM

I just watched the video, and have a question. The voiceover mentions that the drivers pay a high fee when accepting credit cards and that they also have to eat any chargebacks. Is the chargeback aspect true? I was under the impression that the cab companies of which the cab drivers least from are the ones that take care of credit card payments, paying the drivers minus the fees, but eat the chargebacks.

For the average listener, this makes nice copy whether true or false, but cabbies, or somebody in a similar payment-type industry, would know the truth.

Overall, a pretty good video/commercial, but a little lame at the very end, with no disrespect if that gentleman happens to be the proprietor.

~Bruno K~
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 01:16:31 PM

I just watched the video, and have a question. The voiceover mentions that the drivers pay a high fee when accepting credit cards and that they also have to eat any chargebacks. Is the chargeback aspect true? I was under the impression that the cab companies of which the cab drivers least from are the ones that take care of credit card payments, paying the drivers minus the fees, but eat the chargebacks.

For the average listener, this makes nice copy whether true or false, but cabbies, or somebody in a similar payment-type industry, would know the truth.

Overall, a pretty good video/commercial, but a little lame at the very end, with no disrespect if that gentleman happens to be the proprietor.

~Bruno K~

Bruno,

Most of the drivers are independent contractors, meaning that they handle their own billing, and the company offers them an umbrella to work under with referrals, etc.  In this case, the drivers assume 100% of the loss on an unpaid fare, or a chargeback.

Some companies do handle the billing and have the drivers simply as employees, but after surveying the market, this is definitely the minority of cases.

How is Rashid by the way? 

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 02:39:31 PM

1) Awesome!  When I get to travel to some of these cities, I look forward to bitpay making my currency needs reduced to just my smart phone!

2) Has Bitpay ported their platform to Android yet?  I have a friend who might be interested in the project to increase his comp sci portfolio. 

3) Have you already focused on Cleveland, OH companies?  I'll pass this link along and try to research Cleveland Cab companies if you haven't done that already.

Let me know if this would be helpful!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 06:54:15 PM

~Bruno K~

Bruno,

Most of the drivers are independent contractors, meaning that they handle their own billing, and the company offers them an umbrella to work under with referrals, etc.  In this case, the drivers assume 100% of the loss on an unpaid fare, or a chargeback.

Some companies do handle the billing and have the drivers simply as employees, but after surveying the market, this is definitely the minority of cases.

How is Rashid by the way? 

I didn't do my homework before I asked the question. I stand corrected.

I still have that custom wallet designed for Rashid as a gift for joining this forum, but only been to Chicago 2-3 times since meeting him, but had to get in and out quickly, thus not making an appointment to run into him. Also, since that time, a lot of negativity concerning Bitcoin was making the rounds and I wouldn't have been properly armed with answers if questions arose, thus another reason for me personally not taking the effort to persuade Rushid. I'm just now getting my Mojo back, if you know what I mean.

~Bruno K~
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 02:12:42 AM

So right now, is it just the one Town Car/ limo company that uses this?  or can I catch a cheap cab and use bitcoins?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: